chunon's Avatar chunon 07:44 PM 03-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Yep, that's what we where told, they are late frown.gif

I understand sir no worries:)

sheshechic's Avatar sheshechic 07:44 PM 03-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychod2 View Post

Just went out to the local BestBuy and looked at the 60ST50. The set was on the topmost mount and when I viewed it, it looked pretty dim to me. I grabbed the remote and changed to custom mode, then changed the panel brightness to high. I also changed the gamma all around (2.6-1.8) and maybe it's just me, but I don't see this set ever coming close to the brightness of a LED, as some have said. It seemed just as bright as the GT series from 2012 (which was also there) The filter does a good job of reflecting light, and the screen was crisp and clear to me, much better than last years models. I was really looking forward to this set blowing me away and I guess I'm disappointed. My question to you all, is it the set being up so high and running the bestbuy video demo what's affecting my perception? My dilemma is I want to buy the 60" model and can't just get it home and try it out and then take it back... So I'm anxious to hear everyone's opinions on my statements....

I don't think you saw the ST60, or even the ST50. From it's position, I think you saw the S60.
GiantSquid's Avatar GiantSquid 08:05 PM 03-29-2013
Can someone with an ST60 watch a full game of basketball, or any sport, and then pull up a white screen to see if there is any IR. If yes, how long does it take to disappear? Also, how's the line bleeding? On the GT50, when I watch boxing, I can see the ropes through the boxers' bodies. It's really annoying.
samijubal's Avatar samijubal 08:15 PM 03-29-2013
I ended up returning this. Mine either had a bad tuner or the tuner is garbage. The signal strength would bounce around from 0% to 90 something % while breaking up bad, that was without the splitter I use on my old TV that gets 100% constant on the same channels.

I don't really care about the tuner since I never use it but it doesn't say much for the build quality of the TV, which I definitely question. Between the tuner, the over green picture and the way the TV sways on the stand, I'll pass on this one. Just touching this TV makes it sway on the stand. My 5 year old Panny that weighs over half again more doesn't sway at all when I push on it.
psychod2's Avatar psychod2 08:36 PM 03-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I don't think you saw the ST60, or even the ST50. From it's position, I think you saw the S60.

You guys are right, I saw the 50" ST60 2013 model. I have edited the post per Randy's request. Thanks for all the insight everyone. The room I intended to put this in has what id consider a "normal" to above amount of light during the day ( 2 windows with sunlight) and in the evening a lamp which is behind the set and is definitely considered ambient light.
RobMueller10's Avatar RobMueller10 09:12 PM 03-29-2013
This maybe a dumb question. BUUUUUT....
I currently have a tc-p50g10 and am thinking about upgrading. How much of an upgrade would an ST60 actually be. I gotta assume that the black levels will be far better considering mine have "risen" to the brightness of a deer shiner...
agkss's Avatar agkss 09:17 PM 03-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMueller10 View Post

I currently have a tc-p50g10 and am thinking about upgrading. How much of an upgrade would an ST60 actually be. I gotta assume that the black levels will be far better considering mine have "risen" to the brightness of a deer shiner...

Almost day & night
hotskins's Avatar hotskins 09:19 PM 03-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMueller10 View Post

Would be a nice upgrade. The ST50s outperformed the VT30s according to reviewers and the ST60 is looking good according to previews but reviews should be hitting soon.

I imagine u would get better blacks,better reflection filter, brighter, better ANSI, better color accuracy. more power efficient among other things.
Omni009's Avatar Omni009 09:35 PM 03-29-2013
Hopefully the review comes tomorrow. Alongside comparisons with the ST50 and I guess the new F8500 (which really did look great in person btw), I'd love to hear how the ST60 stacks up against the VT50. I know it won't have THX modes, but with the new added calibration controls and hopefully improved PQ and black level, what's I'm really hoping for is basically a 60 inch version of a set equal to or superior to the VT50.
TV4Sooner's Avatar TV4Sooner 02:13 AM 03-30-2013
TV replaced: Samsung PNB650 (one of the main boards is now defective, progression of horizontal lines forced me to replace, 14 lines appeared over one year's time) bought in Feb. 2010.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelanger View Post

My biggest problem was it didnt look that great on the 720 HD tv stations. I really hope the ST60 does better with the 720 HD cable content

I'm having some major concerns with this TV's ability to handle HD cable content. I watched some basketball today and I'm getting some really bad artifacts at times. As much sports as I watch, this could be a deal breaker. I've tried some settings like Video NR, but it doesn't affect it from what I can tell.

I see what people mean by the ST having a soft picture. My 3 yr. old Samsung plasma has a slightly sharper picture with better HD processing. How can this be? The ST is a little sharp, and as others have stated, a more film-like quality? It's not necessarily a bad thing, just a DIFFERENT picture than my Samsung (which is more crisp).

Color depth, contrast, and blacks are superior to the Samsung. Seems brighter. Blu-rays look really nice! My Samsung was a superior build in some ways, especially the glass-topped stand that could swivel. The Panasonic stand is plastic throughout, but I suppose it is the trend with 'cheaper' units, less expensive and lighter nowadays. The other thing that's bothering me is that the bottom of the TV panel is 2 1/8" from the top of my TV stand on one side, and 1 7/8" on the other. That's 1/4" tilt from one side to the other. Ugh.

There are things I like about the TV, but I'm seriously worried about the artifacts around text, certain backgrounds, and movement. Pretty excessive at times. Somewhat less apparent with modes like Cinema, but Custom really brings it out (with more brightness?). I was watching Trading Places on Comedy Central and had to turn off the motion smoother. It made movement stutter like crazy.

Anyone have any suggestions or settings for the artifacts in HD cable I am experiencing? I'm not an expert, but have an appreciation and fine eye for PQ.

If things don't turn out better soon, I'm seriously considering taking this back and getting an E8000. I really don't want to, because I feel like my previous experience with Samsung reliability is not a good one, but if I get a picture similar (cable HD processing) to my old Samsung and with deeper blacks, I'll probably be happier. Don't know what to do......confused.gif
CSIG1001's Avatar CSIG1001 07:26 AM 03-30-2013
Do you LED is the way to go?
CSIG1001's Avatar CSIG1001 07:35 AM 03-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TV4Sooner View Post

TV replaced: Samsung PNB650 (one of the main boards is now defective, progression of horizontal lines forced me to replace, 14 lines appeared over one year's time) bought in Feb. 2010.
I'm having some major concerns with this TV's ability to handle HD cable content. I watched some basketball today and I'm getting some really bad artifacts at times. As much sports as I watch, this could be a deal breaker. I've tried some settings like Video NR, but it doesn't affect it from what I can tell.

I see what people mean by the ST having a soft picture. My 3 yr. old Samsung plasma has a slightly sharper picture with better HD processing. How can this be? The ST is a little sharp, and as others have stated, a more film-like quality? It's not necessarily a bad thing, just a DIFFERENT picture than my Samsung (which is more crisp).

Color depth, contrast, and blacks are superior to the Samsung. Seems brighter. Blu-rays look really nice! My Samsung was a superior build in some ways, especially the glass-topped stand that could swivel. The Panasonic stand is plastic throughout, but I suppose it is the trend with 'cheaper' units, less expensive and lighter nowadays. The other thing that's bothering me is that the bottom of the TV panel is 2 1/8" from the top of my TV stand on one side, and 1 7/8" on the other. That's 1/4" tilt from one side to the other. Ugh.

There are things I like about the TV, but I'm seriously worried about the artifacts around text, certain backgrounds, and movement. Pretty excessive at times. Somewhat less apparent with modes like Cinema, but Custom really brings it out (with more brightness?). I was watching Trading Places on Comedy Central and had to turn off the motion smoother. It made movement stutter like crazy.

Anyone have any suggestions or settings for the artifacts in HD cable I am experiencing? I'm not an expert, but have an appreciation and fine eye for PQ.

If things don't turn out better soon, I'm seriously considering taking this back and getting an E8000. I really don't want to, because I feel like my previous experience with Samsung reliability is not a good one, but if I get a picture similar (cable HD processing) to my old Samsung and with deeper blacks, I'll probably be happier. Don't know what to do......confused.gif

Doesnt samcrap still use off brand capacitors? A well know issue with bulging capacitors eventually results in hardware failue . Id stay away from and korean based product . Make sure you get square trade or,sell it within 2 years
p3Orion's Avatar p3Orion 08:20 AM 03-30-2013
Quote:

Are you talking about the ST50 or ST60? I thought the ST60 did not have a soft (aka film like ) picture like the ST50. Please clarify. smile.gif
CSIG1001's Avatar CSIG1001 08:31 AM 03-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

Are you talking about the ST50 or ST60? I thought the ST60 did not have a soft (aka film like ) picture like the ST50. Please clarify. smile.gif

I believe he just bought a 50" ST60.
bucknuts07's Avatar bucknuts07 09:02 AM 03-30-2013
My a guess would be a settings issue or source, or possible his tv is defective, from seeing the st60 at best buy, it was as sharp as all the led tvs around it, not as bright, but much more contrast, and a very rich picture
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 09:09 AM 03-30-2013
Quote:

I believe there as another user who said that it seemd to get better the more time the set had on it, oeverall Samsungs "tend" to do better with Cable\SD processing, but Panasonics are no slouches n this area either. I woulld go over the settings and connections just to make sure there is nothing in the chain causing something adverse on the set though. The decision comes down to what do you want from your TV? We at the forum can only go so far, youll be the one living with the TV long term wink.gif ......If it were me Id go check out the Samsung to see if it exhibits the same properties that you currently see. The E8000 would probably be closer to what you are used to, and have better blacks as well, of course it may not be as deep as the ST60 can get. If you think you can get used to this set then keep it an enjoy it. Sometimes there is a period of time when moving to a new set that the user has to become accustom to the picture, you may be in this period now. I do wish you luck in which ever set you shoose smile.gif
Glashub's Avatar Glashub 09:16 AM 03-30-2013
TV4Sooner - "TV replaced: Samsung PNB650 (one of the main boards is now defective, progression of horizontal lines forced me to replace, 14 lines appeared over one year's time) bought in Feb. 2010.
I'm having some major concerns with this TV's ability to handle HD cable content. I watched some basketball today and I'm getting some really bad artifacts at times. As much sports as I watch, this could be a deal breaker. I've tried some settings like Video NR, but it doesn't affect it from what I can tell"

I see artifacts on my VT50 and saw them on my Kuros. The problem, I think, is that the cameras used at sporting events are not all the same -- they are all over the map. Some MM games look like crap and then when we go to a new venue they look acceptable. Also, the signal as delivered by Time Warner, DTV and Dish can be lacking more often than not imo.
wattheF's Avatar wattheF 09:42 AM 03-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

TV4Sooner - "TV replaced: Samsung PNB650 (one of the main boards is now defective, progression of horizontal lines forced me to replace, 14 lines appeared over one year's time) bought in Feb. 2010.
I'm having some major concerns with this TV's ability to handle HD cable content. I watched some basketball today and I'm getting some really bad artifacts at times. As much sports as I watch, this could be a deal breaker. I've tried some settings like Video NR, but it doesn't affect it from what I can tell"

I see artifacts on my VT50 and saw them on my Kuros. The problem, I think, is that the cameras used at sporting events are not all the same -- they are all over the map. Some MM games look like crap and then when we go to a new venue they look acceptable. Also, the signal as delivered by Time Warner, DTV and Dish can be lacking more often than not imo.

The issue is the amount of compression used by the cable company. Pop in a good bluray and you will notice it is flawless.

It will be there no matter what TV you use, however some sets video processing will do a better job than others minimizing the noticeable amount of artifacts that can be caused by the compression.
Leon!'s Avatar Leon! 09:47 AM 03-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantSquid View Post

Can someone with an ST60 watch a full game of basketball, or any sport, and then pull up a white screen to see if there is any IR. If yes, how long does it take to disappear? Also, how's the line bleeding? On the GT50, when I watch boxing, I can see the ropes through the boxers' bodies. It's really annoying.

Also, someone with an st60 please watch the entire PBA Bowling Tournament of Champions tomorrow afternoon (2:30est ESPN), & report back.
chunon's Avatar chunon 09:51 AM 03-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon! View Post

Also, someone with an st60 please watch the entire PBA Bowling Tournament of Champions tomorrow afternoon (2:30est ESPN), & report back.

Can someone watch the LOTR movies in a consecutive loop for 21days and then report back if there are any ill effects ?
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 09:55 AM 03-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Can someone watch the LOTR movies in a consecutive loop for 21days and then report back if there are any ill effects ?

Id Like to request someone to watch the the seasons of Sopranos followed by all of the seasons of Lost back to back and report back biggrin.gif

Oh and if you can thow in the Extended editions of LOTR trilogy and the Hobbit while youre at it that would be sweet wink.gif

Opps almost forgot to add a 10 hour gamming session of Madden followed by a 10 hour seesion of Call of Duty.....

This of course MUST be done in VIVD mode, becasue thats the only way to watch TV...........
chunon's Avatar chunon 09:56 AM 03-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Id Like to request someone to watch the the seasons of Sopranos followed by all of the seasons of Lost back to back and report back biggrin.gif

Oh and if you can thow in the Extended editions of LOTR trilogy and the Hobbit while youre at it that would be sweet wink.gif
cool.gif
trp3383's Avatar trp3383 09:56 AM 03-30-2013
Quote:

will do
Stump909's Avatar Stump909 09:58 AM 03-30-2013
Quote:

Seriously, these pathetic requests are becoming to common. The maturity level of some of the people here makes me think we've got teenagers playing with daddy's money.
chunon's Avatar chunon 09:58 AM 03-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp3383 View Post

will do

Oh forgot to add please wrap the set in a blanket while you are running the LOTR let me know if you smell smoke tongue.gif
wattheF's Avatar wattheF 09:59 AM 03-30-2013
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
chunon's Avatar chunon 10:00 AM 03-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump909 View Post

Seriously, these pathetic requests are becoming to common. The maturity level of some of the people here makes me think we've got teenagers playing with daddy's money.

That was not a real request btw
Dolfan349's Avatar Dolfan349 10:02 AM 03-30-2013
Just picked up the 50" ST60. Haven't had a plasma in nearly four years, but I'm already floored. Coming from a Samsung B750 LCD, this is already better in every single area I've seen (haven't tested gaming).

I really want to calibrate it, but I heard I have to wait 100+ hours? At the rate I watch TV, I won't be able to calibrate it for a few months... can I just calibrate now and re-calibrate in 200 hours? Or will I be at too great a risk of IR with the AVS HD 709 slides?
dimitrios007's Avatar dimitrios007 10:03 AM 03-30-2013
Quote:

Could some one wit a st60 watch porn 24:7? For one week? I want to know how the whites are biggrin.gif
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 10:03 AM 03-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump909 View Post

Tags: Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop