post #4771 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

At first I thought the same before getting mine.

But now, it's not even a concern. Love the ST60 cool.gif

I agree 100%
Blu_One likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I would feel safe in at least trying a used ST60. I have read posts here where people have returned the set becasue of input lag, others for IR, so there is a good chance its just an open box ST60.. one guy even posted that he did that very thing and told people where it was to allow them to get a deal.

I have the buz that I can clearly hear on white screens if its late at night, all sound is off and the house is dead silent, I hear it at 15feet but you have to know what to listen for, its not a big deal and I never hear it under normal conditions.
post #4773 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 11:27 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

How noticeable is the chrome edging on the ST60's?

Is it enough of a hinderance to detract from its improvement over the ST50's performance?

I'm debating on if the ST60 is worth it over the ST50 & the last hurdle is this chrome edging

I don't even notice the chrome edge anymore.

Panasonic tc-p60st60 | Onkyo tx-nr626 | Paradigm CT 110 | HTPC | PS3 Slim | Xbox 360 Slim
post #4774 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 11:27 AM
AKA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

You can't compare the S60/64 to the ST60 imo. It's in a whole different league. Just like you can't compare the ST to the VT, same deaI there (you can however compare a VT to a ZT based on the recent Shootout)

Between the S60/64, personally I'd get the S64, but the real deal (value for money) of 2013 is definitely the ST.

The VT's price is also decent for what you get imo.

I've presumed as much, but seen enough people claiming the S64 is close to the ST60 to make me at least curious. So I've been planning to see one in person, but still don't think it will match up to the ST60, and your post echoes my expectation. Thanks.
post #4775 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywould View Post

I would feel safe in at least trying a used ST60. I have read posts here where people have returned the set becasue of input lag, others for IR, so there is a good chance its just an open box ST60.. one guy even posted that he did that very thing and told people where it was to allow them to get a deal.

I have the buz that I can clearly hear on white screens if its late at night, all sound is off and the house is dead silent, I hear it at 15feet but you have to know what to listen for, its not a big deal and I never hear it under normal conditions.

I can't hear any buzz from my st60. The only exception was the all-white D-Nice slide that I had to be within a foot of the TV to hear.

Panasonic tc-p60st60 | Onkyo tx-nr626 | Paradigm CT 110 | HTPC | PS3 Slim | Xbox 360 Slim
post #4776 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

This is exactly how it is for me.

I worked on electronics for 20 years. All mass produced electronics will vary from one unit to the next, it is not a sign of a defective unit or impending doom if one is different from another, it's just life in mass production.
post #4777 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I haven't kept up with this thread for quite awhile. Are ST60 owners having buzzing issues that some earlier model Panasonic plasma owners are having? I ask because if I can't get the buzzing issue fixed with my 60GT50 then I might push to have Best Buy replace it with a 60ST60. But if the ST60's are having buzzing issues then I won't bother seeking a replacement.

Bill

The two 50ST60s (Jan and Mar 2013 mfg dates) and one 50S60 (Feb 2013) I've had in my home all buzzed about the same, easily audible in a quiet room from 10' in high APL scenes like the typical Family Guy living room scene with Contrast in the low 60s. It can be heard over (and naturally between) dialogue at normal volume and sometimes even soft background music. It's pretty much inaudible in Standard mode, with Contrast at 50 and CATS enabled, but that's not usable for anything. Chad B mentioned buzzing in his review, saying it was audible at 6', and the Samsung F8500 at 8-9', and I believe this was in a "quiet room" in a store, and in the F8500 review, he said a Bluray player was masking the noise at that distance. (No idea what Bluray player - The Samsung and Sony ones I've tried recently are hideously loud, though.) The FlatpanelsHD review said, "it was noticeable in a silent room when sitting 1-2 meters in front of the TV. No real improvements in this area, saddly." These are the only reviews I'm aware of that mention buzz at all, and all their samples buzzed. I would not recommend taking omission of buzzing evaluation in other reviews as a suggestion that the set didn't buzz.

Is the buzzing a huge problem? No, and I'm keeping the second 50ST60. I can watch hours of most shows and never hear it. It's mainly brightly lit animation whose audio is frequently just dialogue that it is noticeable. Other places I've noticed it include the space station interior and bedroom scenes in 2001. Most of the time, there is background music or noise that masks the buzzing, and periods of relative silence really have to coincide with a high APL scene to bring out the buzzing. The buzzing tracks the APL incredibly closely and quickly, and lowering Contrast helps. If I wanted to use a higher Contrast in the 80s vs the 60s, it would be more of a problem.

I took the backs off two of the sets looking for documented problems like the washerless screws, poorly tightened screws, cracked component housings, etc, and I found nothing. I couldn't feel any vibration through a plastic probe. The buzzing seems to be coming from boards on both sides of the ST60s and also the middle power board. With Screen Wipe on and my ear on either side, I can hear the buzzing from the side boards go up and down as the white part advances and retreats from their side of the screen.
post #4778 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 11:37 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

This happened on my LCD panel. I recommend rebooting the FiOS box instead of unplugging the HDMI. This helped with my panel.

good call - I will do this if it happens again in the future. Thanks!
post #4779 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 11:39 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansebiz View Post

I don't even notice the chrome edge anymore.

I agree. The way the light hits the set when it's off makes the chrome edge hard to distinguish.
post #4780 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Did anyone have success getting any vendor to price match eastcoasttvs.com?
post #4781 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 11:45 AM

Liked: 13
I had the 60" ST for a day now and no buzz. I'm not sure I'll ever not notice the chrome trim, way to shinny. I"m gonna try and put some black pinstripe tape over the chrome bezel and see how it looks. Love love love the PQ though.
post #4782 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA View Post

I've presumed as much, but seen enough people claiming the S64 is close to the ST60 to make me at least curious. So I've been planning to see one in person, but still don't think it will match up to the ST60, and your post echoes my expectation. Thanks.

Yeah, just the shades of gradation alone will make a big big difference in PQ. But that being said, the S60/64 are still very nice displays, no complaints there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post

I had the 60" ST for a day now and no buzz. I'm not sure I'll ever not notice the chrome trim, way to shinny. I"m gonna try and put some black pinstripe tape over the chrome bezel and see how it looks. Love love love the PQ though.

Paint that thing black wink.gif

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #4783 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansebiz View Post

I can't hear any buzz from my st60. The only exception was the all-white D-Nice slide that I had to be within a foot of the TV to hear.

Same here
post #4784 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

Quote:

I worked on electronics for 20 years. All mass produced electronics will vary from one unit to the next, it is not a sign of a defective unit or impending doom if one is different from another, it's just life in mass production.
Given Heywould's description, especially the part about having to know what to listen for, maybe you overstated the sound you can hear on your set when you first reported it. For Heywould, it takes a white screen, late at night, all sound off, a dead silent house, and he still needs to know what to listen for.

Here is a report that indicates a board replacement for a G50 Panasonic. I think the sound was a lot worse than what Heywould reports. Click here.

If I'm wrong, let us know.

Our Kuro, that's over five years old, has a detectable hum from within one foot using my old ears and a white screen. That's what I think you and Heywould are hearing, but with better ears. Other's are hearing vibration that causes buzzing that seems much more irritating than what you and Heywould are indicating.

When these buzzing discussions get started, I would expect both of you to be reporting that you can hear a plasma hum at 12"-15" but that it's so faint that it takes Heywould's conditions and careful focused listening to hear it. biggrin.gif

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4785 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Paint that thing black wink.gif
I just might.....in about 12 months....the shinny black bezel too biggrin.gif
post #4786 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

My TV definitely buzzes. I can hear it from 12' away even with a blank screen..

If you're done arguing about your 'used' ST60 not being defective, than stop posting about it !

Look at your two posts above, you're contradicting yourself eek.gif
ryansebiz likes this.

PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #4787 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:

I don't really understand what you're saying honestly, sorry.
All I'm saying is that there's no way you should hear that buzzing, that loud, from that far away, on an ST60, period.
The ST60 came out approx. two months ago, and you bought it used ?? Do you have warranty on it ? Did you ever ask yourself (or the seller for that matter) WHY they were selling it so quickly ??
You can say and make yourself believe what you want, that's your choice, but your display is defective.
Sure should have a warranty if there is a receipt. Did it fall off a truck per-say ? Then there would be no warranty of course......

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #4788 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

Did anyone have success getting any vendor to price match eastcoasttvs.com?

I got Magnolia to price match either EastCoastTvs or AllTimeTvs over the weekend. Both have the same price listed now.
post #4789 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 02:05 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

How noticeable is the chrome edging on the ST60's?

Is it enough of a hinderance to detract from its improvement over the ST50's performance?

I'm debating on if the ST60 is worth it over the ST50 & the last hurdle is this chrome edging

The only distracting thing about the chrome is ceiling fans. If you have a ceiling fan with a light and it is turned on with the fan blades running it will distract you badly as the chrome will reflect the strobing light (fan blades blocking the light as they spin). I watch with the lights off, but the first time I turned on the lights of the ceiling fan it caught me by surprise.

Otherwise, I actually like how it looks.

Panasonic 60ZT60 // Panasonic 60ST60 // Samsung UN55B8500 // Mitsubishi HC6800
post #4790 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirh View Post

The only distracting thing about the chrome is ceiling fans. If you have a ceiling fan with a light and it is turned on with the fan blades running it will distract you badly as the chrome will reflect the strobing light (fan blades blocking the light as they spin). I watch with the lights off, but the first time I turned on the lights of the ceiling fan it caught me by surprise.

Otherwise, I actually like how it looks.

Good observation. thanks!

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #4791 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 02:25 PM

Liked: 10
can someone explain what your supposed to do with the disney wow bluray? I have seen it being referred a couple times, am i to run this bluray to break the tv in?
post #4792 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Sure should have a warranty if there is a receipt. Did it fall off a truck per-say ? Then there would be no warranty of course......

That's what I'm saying wink.gif

Used.. Less than two month old set doesn't seem to be any warranty, it's buzzing on a dark screen from a mile away, but "it's working just fine", c'mon man, even I can come up with something better than that tongue.gif

That set is junk imo
ryansebiz likes this.

post #4793 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 02:44 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:

That's what I'm saying wink.gif

Used.. Less than two month old set doesn't seem to be any warranty, it's buzzing on a dark screen from a mile away, but "it's working just fine", c'mon man, even I can come up with something better than that tongue.gif

That set is junk imo

Why do you care so much? He doesn't.
post #4794 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Every plasma I've seen buzzes. Just the nature of the beast. I doubt his set is defective.
post #4795 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Regarding the chrome bezel. I have a Meade Lightbridge 12" telescope. For some strange reason, Meade, knowing that when using a telescope, light is the major enemy while viewing the night sky, made the scope white including the inside strips on the top and bottom. Many (including me) modified the scope. Putting black felt on the inside for better contrast and less reflection. Also me and others painted the WHITE inside parts with black paint from a paint pen. Do you folks think that could be done and still have the TV look good? Just a thought!

Jeff
post #4796 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 03:33 PM

Liked: 12

Finally received my LED strips from ebay. Got 'em all set up. They actually seem to be pretty close to 6500k but of course I have no way of measuring. They look pretty white, not as warm as in the picture. I actually thought theyd run blue, but they dont.

Also picked up the Sharp HT-SB60 sound bar over the weekend from BB. They had it for $499.99 and price matched a 3rd party on Amazon for $312. smile.gif
post #4797 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA View Post

the main beef I had with the s60 over s64 is the glare bothered me too much. I returned the 65s60 for the 60st60, I think the colors and blacks look much richer in a room with any kind of light, ambient or otherwise. Maybe the color gradiants made the diff, but I'm happy I went with the st60. Under normal viewing for me during the day, the PQ was so much better. At night with all lights off the s60 was very good though as well, but just not as good as the st60. I think a s60 for a bedroom for nighttime watching would be a good place for it, esp with the deals going on for the 42"
post #4798 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

Regarding the chrome bezel. I have a Meade Lightbridge 12" telescope. For some strange reason, Meade, knowing that when using a telescope, light is the major enemy while viewing the night sky, made the scope white including the inside strips on the top and bottom. Many (including me) modified the scope. Putting black felt on the inside for better contrast and less reflection. Also me and others painted the WHITE inside parts with black paint from a paint pen. Do you folks think that could be done and still have the TV look good? Just a thought!

Jeff
When I got home today I put some automotive 3/4" striping tape on the chrome bezel just to see if I would like it. I'll leave it on a few days or forever maybe. The gloss black matches the black bezel perfect. I also covered the power lamp, I guess that's ok to do.

post #4799 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMueller10 View Post

Finally received my LED strips from ebay. Got 'em all set up. They actually seem to be pretty close to 6500k but of course I have no way of measuring. They look pretty white, not as warm as in the picture. I actually thought theyd run blue, but they dont.

Also picked up the Sharp HT-SB60 sound bar over the weekend from BB. They had it for $499.99 and price matched a 3rd party on Amazon for $312. smile.gif
Is that the one with remote and dimmer? If so is that at full or dimmed?
post #4800 of 12940 Old 05-20-2013, 03:49 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggweeziehd View Post

Why do you care so much? He doesn't.

I know, that was weird.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread - P55st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page