Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Maybe they have a way to tell if you go into it eek.gif

The service menu keeps track of how many times it's been entered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 View Post

Why did you get rid of your st60? And what did you replace it with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

The lights will still work once all the lights are off but you will get a better affect if it was hung on the wall? Yeah what happened to your ST60 you loved so much?
I didn't like the the IR I was having with the ST60. IR is not something I would mind if it went away quickly but having something last for days was a little to much for me especially considering it was from things that were not on the screen for long. I was able to see the IR on any light colored screen or any scene with a sky in it.

I don't want to scare anyone away from this TV, the picture is top of the line but it was not something I wanted to deal with and I was not going to be able to baby this thing. I ended up going with an LED, the Samsung 60es7500. I got a great deal on it at $1,289 so made it worth it to me. I would not have went with anything lower then that model after owning the ST60 but I also would not pay over $2,000 for these LED's. If not for the price I was able to get the 7500 for I would probably still own the ST60.
post #5223 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I didn't like the the IR I was having with the ST60. IR is not something I would mind if it went away quickly but having something last for days was a little to much for me especially considering it was from things that were not on the screen for long. I was able to see the IR on any light colored screen or any scene with a sky in it.

I don't want to scare anyone away from this TV, the picture is top of the line but it was not something I wanted to deal with and I was not going to be able to baby this thing. I ended up going with an LED, the Samsung 60es7500. I got a great deal on it at $1,289 so made it worth it to me. I would not have went with anything lower then that model after owning the ST60 but I also would not pay over $2,000 for these LED's. If not for the price I was able to get the 7500 for I would probably still own the ST60.

Oh I see damn that sucks. I don't see how after six years ir can get worse. I had minor ir with my old panny but it was hardly ever noticeable and.went away relatively quickly
post #5224 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:

Oh I see damn that sucks. I don't see how after six years ir can get worse. I had minor ir with my old panny but it was hardly ever noticeable and.went away relatively quickly

Just keep in mind it varies by panel

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #5225 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 11:49 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Hey Eric, just curious, how did you get the Samsung 60es7500 for $1289? Thanks.
post #5226 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:

That's too bad, like I said before, it really is like a lottery panel, some get it bad, some don't get it at all. Good luck with your LCD.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #5227 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 12:04 PM

Liked: 38
Quote:

Thanks for this pics Adam. My TV is on the stand and sites about a foot from the wall. Do you think the lights will still work okay or should I not even bother unless I hang it closer?

Even though I no longer have the ST60, this is a pic from when I had it...

Oh, I'd say definitely go for it. My TV is on a stand with a mount and is not flush with the wall. About 7 inches away from the back of the TV to the wall (I believe). Only kinda "weird" thing I'm having is when I walk past the TV to go into our kitchen, you can see the led lights behind the TV. Doesn't really bug me though. Does not seem like you will even have that "issue" judging by the picture of your TV/stand placement in your room. Hey, Look at it this way... If you try it and hate you are only out $14 and some change. Lol. That's the way I looked at it, and I absolutely love it. I'm actually going to order a "back up" led strip or two, just in case the adhesive doesn't hold, I want to try a different placement, etc. Hell, the strips (by themselves) are only $6 each.
post #5228 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpie65 View Post

Hey Eric, just curious, how did you get the Samsung 60es7500 for $1289? Thanks.
Long story short, I had a problem with BB and the manager did me right. Not something you could just pick up for this price. I ended paying more for the es7500 then I paid for the 60ST60 though. I was given the ST60 for under $1,000. I think that is the real regret I have, paying more for the LED. lol
post #5229 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool, thanks! I was starting to contemplate if I should cancel my order but guess I will leave and see how it looks.....
post #5230 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 12:08 PM

Regarding the IR experienced by a few posters in this thread, what are/were your contrast and brightness settings?

Most people here seem more technologically astute than I am, but I've always believed that the best way to avoid IR is to operate the set at 50-ish contrast (and default brightness) for the first 100 hours.

(That's not to say it should be this way, but just what I've understood to be the case).
post #5231 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 12:08 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Ran it over night & still there. SMH. I watched the LSU/Vanderbilt game in the bedroom due to the retention. Wasn't happy, but the Tigers won, so it helped me forget about it. No problem on the settings. I actually recalibrated last night, due to the drift that has been reported & I have a new set of settings that I'll release in a little while.

Looking forward to plugging in the new settings - thanks. Sorry you're having retention issues . . . hopefully the panel will settle down with time.
post #5232 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:

Long story short, I had a problem with BB and the manager did me right. Not something you could just pick up for this price. I ended paying more for the es7500 then I paid for the 60ST60 though. I was given the ST60 for under $1,000. I think that is the real regret I have, paying more for the LED. lol

Thanks. Wow, you got some great pricing on both. Best of luck with the Samsung. I hear your concerns with babying the plasma. IR is my biggest hesitation with getting the ST60, especially with all the kids programming that goes on in my house. I am 95% sold on buying the 60ST60 but that darn IR keeps me second guessing. Almost to point that I'm hoping to land a great deal on a solid 60" 3D LED to where I can somewhat justify the cost savings vs no IR concerns and loss of PQ. So when you said $1289, that $200 savings peeked my interest.
post #5233 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 12:16 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Couldn't one just not say that they went into the service menu?

Each entry into the tech menu is logged with date/time and any changes made are noted internally in a log file. If you make no changes when you enter the service menu I can't see how simply entering the menu to view time on panel would void the warranty, but as has been noted in this thread most anything CAN void the warranty if they want to get picky enough.
post #5234 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilish69 View Post

Each entry into the tech menu is logged with date/time and any changes made are noted internally in a log file. If you make no changes when you enter the service menu I can't see how simply entering the menu to view time on panel would void the warranty, but as has been noted in this thread most anything CAN void the warranty if they want to get picky enough.
So a calibrator that uses the service menu to adjusts white balance is voiding your warranty ? Don't think so

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #5235 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 12:34 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecpackers View Post

picture of my setup. slides scheduled to end tomorrow night.

(sorry for the crooked picture. i was laying on my couch watching the slides for fun!)

also, the room is not yellow at all, its light tan. no clue why the picture shows puke yellow for the entire room.

Looks great! Can you link the wiremold you're using?

Panasonic tc-p60st60 | Onkyo tx-nr626 | Paradigm CT 110 | HTPC | PS3 Slim | Xbox 360 Slim
post #5236 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 12:43 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

So I'm an idiot but never mind that. I just read your first paragraph and tried twice to do the instructions to enter the menu. Both times it simply went to channel 2 and nothing happened. I pressed volume down on TV, followed with info 3 times, hit 2 then Ok. Was I supposed to do any of those steps simultaneously? I didn't do any steps thereafter because all I had was a blank screen. Is it a certainty that I didn't actually access the menu and it did not create a log?

The reason I called myself is an idiot is after I tried this, I then read your second post and realized I really didn't want to void the warranty. How do I know for sure I didn't actually access the service menu? Would it have been obvious? I waited on channel 2 after each try for 5-10 seconds and saw nothing but a blank screen.

I think you have to hold down the volume button on the back of the tv while you press info button on the remote 3 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchlaf View Post

Here is a link to the post (with the EBay link and the options you should select when purchasing):

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/4860#post_23339522

I just sent a question to the seller to see if they know the color temp of the lights.

| Panasonic TC-P60ST60 | Pioneer Elite SC-81 | Sony PlayStation 3 | Sony PlayStation 4 | DirecTV HR44 Genie |
post #5237 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:

How did you manage to get a sixty inch ST60 for less than a grand??????
post #5238 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connmen View Post

Regarding the IR experienced by a few posters in this thread, what are/were your contrast and brightness settings?

Most people here seem more technologically astute than I am, but I've always believed that the best way to avoid IR is to operate the set at 50-ish contrast (and default brightness) for the first 100 hours.

(That's not to say it should be this way, but just what I've understood to be the case).

So you're saying you should just watch regular tv for the first hundred hours or so and not break the tv in with tests slides? I don't know anything about the test slides. Did the people who have had ir issues break the tv in with tests slides?
post #5239 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
IR varies from panel to panel, model to model. There's no scientific proof that slides help prevent IR. There are several people that have run the slides that get IR easily, and there are people that haven't run the slides and don't get IR. I didn't run the slides and I barely see IR. I also saw no difference after 50, 100, or 200+ hours.
post #5240 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

IR varies from panel to panel, model to model. There's no scientific proof that slides help prevent IR. There are several people that have run the slides that get IR easily, and there are people that haven't run the slides and don't get IR.

Ah I see. Understood. Would you recommend running slides to break the tv in or not?
post #5241 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

Ah I see. Understood. Would you recommend running slides to break the tv in or not?
If you want to use D-Nice's settings, then it's recommended. If not, it's your choice. I personally just try to avoid black bars as much as possible during the first few hundred hours of use to allow the phosphors to age evenly. Some people use the slides when the TV isn't being viewed to age the panel quicker. If you're getting your set professionally calibrated, it's recommended to age your panel a few hundred hours first because the picture usually significantly drifts during this time.
post #5242 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 01:06 PM

I
Quote:

So you're saying you should just watch regular tv for the first hundred hours or so and not break the tv in with tests slides? I don't know anything about the test slides. Did the people who have had ir issues break the tv in with tests slides?
I didn't. Started using it from day one. No IR. my wife feel asleep on the couch the other night with it on one of those channels with a logo. When I got up the next morning and saw it I cringed but nothing no IR whatsoever. If its per panel I must have got a good one.
post #5243 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Yes. Small claims court will cover most TV prices. The only case I recall here at AVS, that I've read, Samsung denied a warranty claim because of something stupid the owner had done. He persisted and eventually they folded and gave him what he wanted. In the same ten years I've read a very large number of posts of owners who went into the service menu for their set. I don't recall any of them being burned by the manufacturer.

People who live in remote locations too far from an authorized repair service sometimes have a problem getting a set under warranty repaired.

Of course, AVS is an unrepresentative sample and can't be compared to the general public. wink.gif

Couldn't one just not say that they went into the service menu?
How about not saying anything other than that the TV isn't working. wink.gif

If the past ten years of my reading at AVS means anything, then worrying about warranty invalidation because of entering the SM isn't worth it. The only case I do remember, the owner started out by detailing what he had done in the service menu. eek.gif

He was denied warranty service to start, but he kept asking at higher levels until his repair was authorized. I don't recall anyone ever using small claims court if they were being stonewalled by a manufacturer, but it is a valid option if it's needed.
post #5244 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 01:08 PM
AKA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

The slides' purpose is not to "break in" the display. It is simply to age the display to prepare it for D-Nice's settings. It also does not directly reduce IR or anything else that people are claiming.
post #5245 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How did you manage to get a sixty inch ST60 for less than a grand??????
Same store, I just exchanged the ST60 for the es7500. As I said the manager did me right after a problem I had.
post #5246 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post

I
I didn't. Started using it from day one. No IR. my wife feel asleep on the couch the other night with it on one of those channels with a logo. When I got up the next morning and saw it I cringed but nothing no IR whatsoever. If its per panel I must have got a good one.
I think it also depends on what you have in the screen. My son watched Disney Jr. for hours each day, not a single sign of IR. Then we watched Nascar for 1.5 hours once on Fox Sports and got IR for 2 days.
post #5247 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post

I
I think it also depends on what you have in the screen. My son watched Disney Jr. for hours each day, not a single sign of IR. Then we watched Nascar for 1.5 hours once on Fox Sports and got IR for 2 days.

It depends highly on what you have on the screen, both acquiring it and noticing it's there.
post #5248 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks for this pics Adam. My TV is on the stand and sites about a foot from the wall. Do you think the lights will still work okay or should I not even bother unless I hang it closer?

Even though I no longer have the ST60, this is a pic from when I had it...

The most important thing to do when placing the lamps is getting them the same distance from the edge of the TV all the way around. If you don't the light output won't look even on the wall. Also if you want more light on the wall away from the TV get them as close to the edge as possible. Only downside is there more visible when off. The ST has a slant about 3" from edge, that's where I put the strips and it was just enough slant that the lamps were tilted away from the TV and I get good coverage on the walls with them dimmed down.
post #5249 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 01:25 PM

Liked: 10
I'm having a problem where my ST60 won't output surround sound to my receiver.

My Input is my Cisco 8642 PVR via HDMI 1.
PS3 via HDMI 2.
Optical Out from ST60 to my receiver.

I am playing surround content on both the PVR and PS3 (which is evidenced by the fact that surround sound works if I connect them directly to the receiver).

However, if I connect them via HDMI to the TV first and then try to output surround sound via the Optical Out from the ST60, I only get stereo sound.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!
post #5250 of 12863 Old 05-28-2013, 01:42 PM

I can get the gt50 60 inch for 1650 from my local shop. Should I take that over the st60? How do they compare?
They also have a pn60e7000 for 1425
Its the display models
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread - P55st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page