Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 187 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5581 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
2 possibly stupid questions.

1. Think this TV will fit in a 4 door Mazda 3?

2. Can one person put it on the stand and lift it up and on to an entertainment unit?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Do you own an ST60? What are you basing these statements off of?

Well, I'm looking at my 60" ST60 right now!

I had a 64" Samsung F8500 for 55 days before returning it. It was a really nice set, but a couple issues kept bugging me. The number one issue for me was that there was too great a disparity between light and dark scenes. There was no way to adjust the settings to get them both to look correct at the same time. Once you got the dark scene set properly, the light scene was way too bright, and when the light scene was set properly, the dark scenes were too dark. It's not a calibration issue either, it's just the nature of the panel. The other issue was the cost...I now have an extra $2000 in my bank account. biggrin.gif

I do miss the extra detail and the better appearance of some of the lesser quality content the F8500 provided. It's best picture appears clearer and more detailed that what the ST60 produces. I was also using the Web Browser, which was excellent. It's crappy on the ST60, so I just don't use the smart features anymore. I don't really care much about that anyway, so it's not a big deal.

The ST60 also has some advantages over the F8500, specifically color saturation and less dominate blacks. I'm also happy with the 60" size...it's a large 60" and I really don't miss the 64". I would prefer a little more detail, which is why I'm curious how a Darbee would effect the picture. The only other issue I have is that the picture is a hair low...so once in a while I will see squiggles on the top edge of the picture. It rarely happens, but there seems to be no way to adjust it, like I could on the F8500. Overall, I'm happy with it. The picture seems to improving as I'm breaking it in...maybe I'm just getting used to it, but it seems to be getting better as time goes by.

The F8500 was Samsung's first attempt at a high end plasma and it will be interesting to see if they or Panasonic will continue to improve plasma technology. As of right now, there is no way I could justify the extra $2000 for the little extra detail you get from the F8500, especially when in some ways I prefer the ST60.
post #5583 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 238
I have the ST60 and Sharpness and detail are excellent ... eek.gif

Pioneer LX 5090H + Démo G5  C+ Csat HD + DD et la TNT + Pioneer LX55 + Sony BD-S790 ... Pana 50 ST60 + PS3 BD + Pioneer BD320 ... CRT Philips 32 PW 9520 P+2 DNM + TNT Thomson DTI 652 + Pioneer DV 380 ... BR 137 .

post #5584 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post

2. Can one person put it on the stand and lift it up and on to an entertainment unit?

1. I doubt it. As I recall when I bought my 42 inch plasma a couple of years ago from Costco, it barely fit in the back of my 4 door 2007 Honda Accord. I think the biggest problem was getting the box into and out of the door more than the width of the back seat.
  2. My set was delivered yesterday and I watched them assemble the stand and put the set on it, I do not think you should even consider risking putting on the stand alone. With that said, whoever helps you with that part should then assist with getting it on your stand.
post #5585 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

1 not the 60" I have a full size extended cab truck and I couldn't get the tv in the back seat of that. (Didn't want to lay flat in bed of truck)
2 that depends on how strong and how agile you are, I did it by setting the tv on the side on a soft chair the attaching the stand loosely, i balanced the set with one hand and slid the base on with the other, it has a channel it goes in to aide in that. then set on the stand and made sure it was level the tightened the stand. I didn't find it too hard

That was all for nothing because the next week I wall mounted it (alone I might add)
post #5586 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 09:36 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urga View Post

I have the ST60 and Sharpness and detail are excellent ... eek.gif

I believe you, not them.

Gamertag: Elder Sasquatch
post #5587 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch321 View Post

I believe you, not them.

You'll see it when I would take pictures of my ST60 ... cool.gif

Pioneer LX 5090H + Démo G5  C+ Csat HD + DD et la TNT + Pioneer LX55 + Sony BD-S790 ... Pana 50 ST60 + PS3 BD + Pioneer BD320 ... CRT Philips 32 PW 9520 P+2 DNM + TNT Thomson DTI 652 + Pioneer DV 380 ... BR 137 .

post #5588 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma7820 View Post

we need to keep on Panasonic for firmware updates for the 3d signal detected issue.
You mean the bogus notification that sometimes pops up telling you that a 3d signal was detected? Why don't you just turn off the 3d notification control in the 3d settings menu? That's what I did. (And then I changed the 3d detection control to Auto 2, to change automatically to 3d mode when I tune to a DirecTV 3d channel. Works fine.)

Now, here is what I want a firmware update for. There is an adjustment for how much the two images are displaced in 3d: 3d adjustment > Effect. I think this looks much better at its maximum value of +3, but I can't keep it there. Every time I leave 3d mode, Effect is automatically reset back at 0. It takes at least 14 key strokes to set it back to +3 -- it is really, really inconvenient. Evidently, it is designed to be inconvenient -- someone got nervous about lawsuits for eye damage, I suppose.

Greg Lee
post #5589 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 09:44 AM

The ST60 not sharp??! Huh? I think it's exceptional, I have a very good 26" PC monitor and this tv puts that to shame on all fronts, the detail is awesome on OTA tv, bluray is unreal, SD is very good, (could be worse) so this statement needs to be qualified.
post #5590 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:

1. no chance... i have a CREW CAB(full 4 door) f150... the 60" tv box is ENORMOUS. took me and a friend to lift it, and we had to put it flat in the bed of my truck, and it took up the ENTIRE bed of my truck. big enough to the point, that, while taking it home in the rain, i put a tarp over it, and didn't need to use any tie downs or bungees, because just laying the tarp on it, the edges were pressed firmly against the truck bed walls.

2. probably. i had no problem lifting the TV,(once out of the HUGE box). it weighs around 90's i'd guess.... i only weigh about 155lbs, so i'm not very big.
post #5591 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 10:06 AM

oops double post, sorry...

you can rent a small uhaul trailer for like $9.00.... if you don't have a hitch, you can rent a small uhaul truck for $17, or the uhaul pickup truck for $14.
post #5592 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywould View Post

The ST60 not sharp??! Huh? I think it's exceptional, I have a very good 26" PC monitor and this tv puts that to shame on all fronts, the detail is awesome on OTA tv, bluray is unreal, SD is very good, (could be worse) so this statement needs to be qualified.

Yea, wish that post would be deleted. If the image is sharp, than the it will display it as a sharp image, if it is soft, then it will display a soft image. Gesh, sounds like my wife, "everything is too dark". That's because it's night time, GAWD!
post #5593 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 10:26 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Yea, wish that post would be deleted. If the image is sharp, than the it will display it as a sharp image, if it is soft, then it will display a soft image. Gesh, sounds like my wife, "everything is too dark". That's because it's night time, GAWD!

hahaha. +1

PSN (PS3/4) - Campy04
post #5594 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

Well, I'm looking at my 60" ST60 right now!

I had a 64" Samsung F8500 for 55 days before returning it. It was a really nice set, but a couple issues kept bugging me. The number one issue for me was that there was too great a disparity between light and dark scenes. There was no way to adjust the settings to get them both to look correct at the same time. Once you got the dark scene set properly, the light scene was way too bright, and when the light scene was set properly, the dark scenes were too dark. It's not a calibration issue either, it's just the nature of the panel. The other issue was the cost...I now have an extra $2000 in my bank account. biggrin.gif

I do miss the extra detail and the better appearance of some of the lesser quality content the F8500 provided. It's best picture appears clearer and more detailed that what the ST60 produces. I was also using the Web Browser, which was excellent. It's crappy on the ST60, so I just don't use the smart features anymore. I don't really care much about that anyway, so it's not a big deal.

The ST60 also has some advantages over the F8500, specifically color saturation and less dominate blacks. I'm also happy with the 60" size...it's a large 60" and I really don't miss the 64". I would prefer a little more detail, which is why I'm curious how a Darbee would effect the picture. The only other issue I have is that the picture is a hair low...so once in a while I will see squiggles on the top edge of the picture. It rarely happens, but there seems to be no way to adjust it, like I could on the F8500. Overall, I'm happy with it. The picture seems to improving as I'm breaking it in...maybe I'm just getting used to it, but it seems to be getting better as time goes by.

The F8500 was Samsung's first attempt at a high end plasma and it will be interesting to see if they or Panasonic will continue to improve plasma technology. As of right now, there is no way I could justify the extra $2000 for the little extra detail you get from the F8500, especially when in some ways I prefer the ST60.

I knew you had the F8500 and that's why I asked. Intresting to hear a comparison of the two from someone that has owned both.

I have owned 2 Samsung plasmas and 2 Panasonic plasmas over the last few years. I will agree that in general Samsungs processing seems to "polish" up lower quality HD cable content in a nicer way than the Panny's but the ST60 has stepped up its game in that area (compared to last years 50 series models) and I don't find myself wanting for a sharper picture with the ST60. I feel this tv displays the content as it is intended. It trully shows off how important the quality of the content is.

I avoid Samsung plasmas now because they STILL have unstable ABL function (brightness fluctuations) and the Panasonic provides a much more natural picture IMO.
post #5595 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

In a hard screen (BD) on the ST60 with Sharp 50 :

cool.gif

post #5596 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

I watch old classic B&W movies on netflix and Amazon instant using my Roku all the time, these are all 4:3, I know they were not remastered in HD even if NF or AP says they are, BUT the pictures are very good, even at 60" I think its great. I have heard a lot of people complain about lag and IR but lack of sharpness was a shocker... lol..

On that note though, the old classics are realy sharp (a tad noisy sometimes) I dont expect anything other than 1080i on OTA or bluray to blow me away but I am more than pleased with the PQ on everything I watch..

There are a lot of 480i SD channels on OTA and they are noticable soft but not bad at all.. I use to hit the "i" button on the remote to see what the resolution was, I can now tell tell the resolution without doing that every time..I know if its "soft" its less than 720P without exception.

Side note, some OTA even at 1080i is noticably less sharpr than some others, for example local network news is extremely sharp at 1080i but others displaying 1080i (sit com) are less sharp, but unless you had the two side by side you would not see much of a difference. I do not mean this pic is SOFT, just less than outstanding as seen on other channels.
post #5597 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Which TV? These come in 50", 55", 60" and 65".
post #5598 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urga View Post

In a hard screen (BD) on the ST60 with Sharp 50 :

cool.gif

Be careful, people viewing that on a old laptop or old monitor might say its not sharp.. hahahaha..

And look how soft that clock is in the background.. shesh,, when will they learn how to make a good plasma?biggrin.gif
post #5599 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Sharp's very good and the brightness is fantastic ... eek.gif

post #5600 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearzy View Post

Ended up getting my TV fixed to the wall at my new place and put up the lighting I got off EBAY. The living room is almost set! Just need to get an amp and clean up the wires.

Man does it make the picture so much sharper! Using Dnice settings and definitely brings the picture more to life. Have a few more things to finally finish in my place but for now I have money to spend elsewhere. smile.gif

Picture does not do it much justice since it is from a camera phone.

Congratulations on your new place and tv, now get to hiding those wires? What amp are you thinking of going with?

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #5601 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma7820 View Post

we need to keep on Panasonic for firmware updates for the 3d signal detected issue. the youtube and other app lag and the 48hz mode for 3d. every time I try and post that on their support website they deny my question and won't let it be posted so please guys keep calling and or emailing them about these issues maybe they will actually step up

I call them once a week and post on there support home page where you can ask questions and request things.
post #5602 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 11:07 AM

Liked: 26
Still loving the 60" ST60. This is my first plasma, and it replaced a UN55B8500. Couldn't be happier. No buzzing, No fan noise.

I'm not seeing persistent IR (that I can detect). BUT, I do watch a lot of pixar movies (kids). Haven't watched too much cable with persistent logos. I think I see a hint of IR here and there, but its gone by the time i scrutinize the area of the screen. I have to be looking for it to see a hint of it. But it could be my own eyes doing their own IR from staring at sections of the screen. In other words, I've stopped looking for IR and am just watching the TV now smile.gif.

The image looks sharp (contrary to what others say) if the source is sharp. HD cable though is spotty. I have comcast, which likes to bit-steal their way to victory. Pretty much they try to run most channels at 12mbps or less by using a stat-mux like approach to take the provider's signal and bring it down to 12mbps. Some channels are lucky and get more bits, but most don't. We have made some equipment for them, and I am aware of why they do this. Unfortunately, they have convinced themselves that their special approach to reducing the quality of channels is "not noticeable to consumers" but it IS. And, oh yes, this is MPEG-2 we're talking about, so 12mbps and less isn't so good for most HD content (pure animation can get away with it and look decent). Why do I ramble on about this? These low quality re-conditioned channels (to save bandwidth for the MSO) make it appear the TV is dithering like crazy, causing tons of swimming pixels and even lots of banding in content. Good news is this can be seen on any of the hd tvs in my house, but I do know people assume its their TV.

Of course the apps in this TV aren't great but they work. Unfortunately using built-in netflix & amazon instant video do not seem to let you change screen format (ie, to zoom in to get rid of black bars).

Blu-rays look great (of course). Much of the streaming content from Amazon & Netflix looks better than the average HD cable channel for us.

I have this TV paired up with a ZVox 555 that it sits on top of. I like the setup since this is a bedroom TV.

Now that I have a plasma, I'm worried about the state of the market after hearing about Panasonic's rumors (no more plasma; may exit tv business, etc). I hope plasma lives on until something better comes along. I am a convert now after this ST60.

Panasonic 60ZT60 // Panasonic 60ST60 // Samsung UN55B8500 // Mitsubishi HC6800
post #5603 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

Which TV? These come in 50", 55", 60" and 65".

Whoops. 60 inch. But it looks it's a resounding no haha.

post #5604 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Congratulations on your new place and tv, now get to hiding those wires? What amp are you thinking of going with?

Thank you - It's a decent set up so far - the wife was sceptical, but now loves it after she saw how much better it makes the picture. Will be getting the wires cleared up with a track in the next week or so (many other things to do before that) smile.gif.

I am unsure what I will be doing with the receiver. Accepting suggestions!

PSN (PS3/4) - Campy04
post #5605 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 11:14 AM

Double post

PSN (PS3/4) - Campy04
post #5606 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearzy View Post

I am unsure what I will be doing with the receiver. Accepting suggestions!

What's the budget for a receiver?

post #5607 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:

What's the budget for a receiver?

Say 300 tax in (Canada)

PSN (PS3/4) - Campy04
post #5608 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 11:53 AM

Liked: 11
I've had my 65ST60 for a month now. Coming from a 6 year old 61" Samsung DLP and this being my first ever plasma. I must say, I really love this tv especially now with the proper sources. I'm using D-Nice settings with a couple tweaks. The other settings provided by other members are very good, but a little too green for my taste. Thank you all for providing your settings so we can have a decent viewing experience without it getting a pro calibration.

Needless to say, bluray is spectacular. I thought that 3d is pretty good aswell, just wished that things popped out a little more even at +3 setting. Over the weekend I watched White Vengeance from the tv's Netflix streaming app through wifi, I was blown away how good that looked as well.

The only issue I've had was watching NHL on NBCsports and NBA on TNT from Charter cable. There was so much motion blur, I just couldn't take it anymore. Luckily, they are a no contract cable provider. I quickly jumped over to Directv as a first time customer. Watching sports for the first time over the weekend through Directv was night and day compared to Charter. With the correct sources, this tv is truly amazing.

I'm thinking about mounting this with a Monoprice wall mount. I'm considering between either a fixed low profile wall mount or a tilt wall mount. Will the bolts and screws that it comes with be sufficient for my set or will I need purchase correct sizes? Any suggestions on this will be greatly appreciated.
post #5609 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bento View Post

I've had my 65ST60 for a month now. Coming from a 6 year old 61" Samsung DLP and this being my first ever plasma. I must say, I really love this tv especially now with the proper sources. I'm using D-Nice settings with a couple tweaks. The other settings provided by other members are very good, but a little too green for my taste. Thank you all for providing your settings so we can have a decent viewing experience without it getting a pro calibration.

Needless to say, bluray is spectacular. I thought that 3d is pretty good aswell, just wished that things popped out a little more even at +3 setting. Over the weekend I watched White Vengeance from the tv's Netflix streaming app through wifi, I was blown away how good that looked as well.

The only issue I've had was watching NHL on NBCsports and NBA on TNT from Charter cable. There was so much motion blur, I just couldn't take it anymore. Luckily, they are a no contract cable provider. I quickly jumped over to Directv as a first time customer. Watching sports for the first time over the weekend through Directv was night and day compared to Charter. With the correct sources, this tv is truly amazing.

I'm thinking about mounting this with a Monoprice wall mount. I'm considering between either a fixed low profile wall mount or a tilt wall mount. Will the bolts and screws that it comes with be sufficient for my set or will I need purchase correct sizes? Any suggestions on this will be greatly appreciated.

My wall mount came with everything required. Came with about 8 different screws for different TV's - I doubt you will have an issue with this.

As for the tilt/fixed - I think that is more up to the individual and where you are mounting it. I picked up a fixed mount that has 4 or 5 different notches to change the height as requried.

PSN (PS3/4) - Campy04
post #5610 of 12729 Old 06-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

"True Cinema" BD Animation:

Sharp 50 , Contrast 65 , Brightness - 2 , Gamma 2.4 ...
It sends the heavy ... eek.gif

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page