Forum Jump: 

post #5851 of 12708 Old 06-06-2013, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJeff View Post

I just received my 50" ST60 yesterday. I plugged in the Cnet settings and have been watching full screen content while I break it in. I am currently watching the NBA Finals on ABC and am noticing lots of brightness fluctuation (at least once a minute). C.A.T.S is set to off. Any suggestions on how I can improve this?

I just recently jumped into watching sports mainly hockey and baseball. I thought there was something wrong with my tv constantly getting brighter than darker. I called Comcast they set signal looked fine, than I schedulaed and appointment for them to check my cable for cut or if it needed to be newer wire everything was fine. I than called 3 of my buddies that have always watched sports and asked them if they see flashing lights/contrast rise. They said that's normal for most sports its the flash photography from the fans and cameras, I find this annoying but worth it to watch your favorite sports team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 12708 Old 06-06-2013, 09:54 PM

Liked: 18
they are been 2 people on Panasonics website now requesting firmware updates, for the 48hz mode in 3d and lag in apps/youtube. Make sure to post problems on their site so they can try and fix it. If you don't say anything they wont help.
cadett and sealteamz6 like this.
post #5853 of 12708 Old 06-06-2013, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by astateofmind View Post

I have the pc connected straight to one HDMI input. Set that HDMI RGB range to non-standard and set from nvidia control panel Video color settings, advanced, dynamic range to full, as per sawfish's instructions.

I]ve never connected my PC to a tv. Was your issue a common problem or a rarity when connecting via HDMI? Is this something we should all do when displaying PC video on a tv?
post #5854 of 12708 Old 06-06-2013, 10:22 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

For the 60" models you should set the gamma at 2.4.
Plasmas have a limiter that kicks in when it reaches a certain point. The brighter/bigger the image gets, the more it basically reduces contrast.

I also now have tested with window patterns another Panasonic plasma which does not have a screen filter like the ST60 does. It too measured a gamma of 1.5. This measurement is too low based on what I see on the screen, but it is cannot be due to any screen filter like on the ST60. So my questions and concerns about this 1.5 number continue in the Calman 5 thread in the calibration forum.
post #5855 of 12708 Old 06-06-2013, 10:40 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma7820 View Post

I just recently jumped into watching sports mainly hockey and baseball. I thought there was something wrong with my tv constantly getting brighter than darker. I called Comcast they set signal looked fine, than I schedulaed and appointment for them to check my cable for cut or if it needed to be newer wire everything was fine. I than called 3 of my buddies that have always watched sports and asked them if they see flashing lights/contrast rise. They said that's normal for most sports its the flash photography from the fans and cameras, I find this annoying but worth it to watch your favorite sports team.

Funny you guys are discussing this because I turned on the basketball game tonight and noticed the flashing as well.

I don't really watch much basketball these days so I figured it was the TV.

Went to my older plasma to check and sure enough, same flashing. It's the flashes from the courtside photographers.
post #5856 of 12708 Old 06-06-2013, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

they are been 2 people on Panasonics website now requesting firmware updates, for the 48hz mode in 3d and lag in apps/youtube. Make sure to post problems on their site so they can try and fix it. If you don't say anything they wont help.

Its been well know that for Panasonic make some changes, they will take forever and many ,many complaints. they may not even fix the problem at all,I remember the huge problem with the previous panels with the very premature increase in black levels and Panasonic was keep selling model after model with the same problem till someone got tired of the game and decide to take legal action.

Now the problem its been fix after the legal action.

But anyways good luck.

I Apologize for my English.
post #5857 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post

I've noticed the same using Cadetts settings. Been watching netflix Breaking Bad HD and there seems to be a green/yellow push on the reds and blacks seem pretty crushed at times. I attribute this pretty much to netflix's end cause blurays look fine and HD cable looks fine as well. Tried using cnets settings and wow, sooooo red/warm compared to cadetts. Cadetts were way more on point than theirs. Haven't tried dnice's yet.

I cant remember if I was able to or not on my last panny plasma but with the ST60 are you able to create more than one custom picture settings for an input so you could change between picture settings on one input depending on if you were watching blu ray or netflix?
post #5858 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaJae View Post

god this is so frustrating. I can watch youtube in 3D from my computer through my web browser, but not through PowerDvD no matter how much i mess with the settings... frown.gif

VLC>PowerDVD

I used to use powerDVD all the time then realized it wasn't very good. Granted part of that is subjective. I honestly find VLC to do a great job
post #5859 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 01:18 AM

Quote:

good point!
post #5860 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 04:15 AM

Quote:

You are probably right about the flash photography. I was thinking it may have been because all the fans were wearing white but your theory makes more sense. It's strange that I didn't hear much about this issue before I bought the tv, especially since plasmas are considered great for the fast motion of sports. Oh we'll, I sure I will get used to it over time. The rest of the performance is good enough to make up for it!
post #5861 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 05:19 AM

media player classic is great for videos and very light!!
i think its much better than vlc and powerdvd
post #5862 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenT in SLC View Post

I also now have tested with window patterns another Panasonic plasma which does not have a screen filter like the ST60 does. It too measured a gamma of 1.5. This measurement is too low based on what I see on the screen, but it is cannot be due to any screen filter like on the ST60. So my questions and concerns about this 1.5 number continue in the Calman 5 thread in the calibration forum.
I replied to you in the settings/issue thread. Try with gamma set to 2.6 on the 55". Try not to post the same question in different threads. I wanna help, just don't know where to answer the question at & don't want to keep answer twice. You should be able to get all the info you need from this thread & the Calman thread.
post #5863 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post

The ST60 has a deeper image than the F8000..it almost looks more 3D while it is displaying 2D. I don't know how else to describe it but this had a huge impact on me and I will sorely miss it.

Most plasmas appear to have the deeper/more 3D image. I believe its just due to panel design and the glass of the panel/outside layer refracting light around.. Gives the picture more depth; the "Glossy" filters on the samsungs and even something like the SHarp Elites help but its hardly as effective as the nature of the design for a plasma. Even cheap plasmas have better depth than most even more exspesnive LCD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaJae View Post

Well, if you are privvy to networking, an Access Point (like Cisco or equivalent for businesses or government or school type agencies), not retail routers (at least not in the past), has configuration parameters which allows for QoS, i.e., Quality of Service. This is an in depth group of settings which allows for prioritization of bandwidth traffic (in/out udp/tcp) to peripherals using services/protocols, like, for example, IRC, VOIP, HTTP, FTP, SMTP, Video Streaming/Communication, NTP, etc. One really needs to know what he's doing when messing around with these settings. One could also define his own parameters for a protocol, like, say, P2P. I think by now, as compared to about 5 years ago, this is now included too. You can limit particular protocols' allotments of bandwidth.

Businesses and agencies like .com's and .gov .edu needed these restrictions/allowances to be able to dedicate more bandwidth to in-house servers which were their vehicles for sales and/or info/communications. Certain services/protocols demand more priority than others, hence the need. I don't know of many consumer products that do this right now.

We have two internet lines coming into the house. One router--the Linksys-- runs off a basic internet modem, which is non-customizable. The router is limited in its capabilities. We also have a Modem/Router which I have running to a gigabit splitter. This, although configurable, lacks the sophistication of prioritizing protocols/services. Some basic firewalls do a good enough job for the consumer. However, one doesn't really get to pick exact, specific services with which to configure. They are basically generalized into groups which doesn't quite acheive the same effect. Also, they lack prioritization.

I have two older Cisco APs (with protocol b yeilding the highest bandwidth per second (for that unit) which is 11 megabits) which had these in-depth configurations. We had foreign exchange students who monopolized all the bandwidth because of our one line internet source. They were constantly Skyping to China and everywhere else, plus my son with his torrent downloads, the load and unimaginable lag we were experiencing was OFF THE HOOK. (Constant disconnects) Plus all the smartphones/laptops/2 xboxes a dedicated video box so my mom could watch Korean soaps, YouTube, ad infinitum, was just intolerable and unacceptable, to say the least, so i decided to prioritize the bandwidth to the xboxes, my laptop! (lol) my iPhone (and respective MAC addresses) and slowed Skype, and a lot of P2P chat programs which were being utilized. Suffice it to say, there were many complaints from the Chinese contingency smile.gif Hence the need for the second, SEPARATE line

Plus, all my peripherals/consoles/laptops are mostly hardwired yielding greater, uninhibited, uncompromised throughput.

It is possible to purchase such a device, however, it'll cost you. There are always used/pulled or older models (which for the avg consumer would be appropriate) for sale on places like eBay. Some businesses hire contractors to upgrade their systems to the newest tech and sometimes these contractors aquire the ones being replaced and sell them to whomever wants them. however, the cost of these could run in the 500USD plus range. Craigslist may be a source, too.

Really not sure why you went so nuts in this post...

Most mid-range priced home routers have QoS controls that at minimum can be controlled via Specific port on the router or by mac address; while some may not allow QoS controlling of specific protocols, they will at minimum allow you to cyphon off more bandwidth for a particular device and give priority based on device. Even if you have a cheap router its possible if you like to tinker to get something like DDWRT (Which I would totally recommend to anyone to get if you are a bit tech savvy and willing to play around and learn a thing or two).

and Ruckus AP's > Cisco tongue.gif

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #5864 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paticao View Post

+1, this is what I use and have posted that it works great for things like this. (for me)
post #5865 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Is a 48hz mode something that can be put out in firmware? I had no idea. If so, that's awesome..Should, you know..Panasonic actually include it. I tried watching the Lion King 3D with -3 for more pop and I'm new to 3D so I don't if it was judder or what but any fast motion, especially in characters faces, was almost confusing to watch if that makes any sense. It totally killed the 3D for me. When I set it to +3 though there isn't near as much of that but I still like a bit of pop out.

post #5866 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post

Is a 48hz mode something that can be put out in firmware? I had no idea. If so, that's awesome..Should, you know..Panasonic actually include it. I tried watching the Lion King 3D with -3 for more pop and I'm new to 3D so I don't if it was judder or what but any fast motion, especially in characters faces, was almost confusing to watch if that makes any sense. It totally killed the 3D for me. When I set it to +3 though there isn't near as much of that but I still like a bit of pop out.
Did you change motion smoother to mid or strong? Doesn't sound like you did.
post #5867 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Is it confirmed that the ST60 sets do not have cooling fans, and if so why do the VT60 and ZT60 models need them, but not the ST units? Why are the ST60 units running so much cooler than those other two models?
post #5868 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Is it confirmed that the ST models do not have cooling fans, and if so why do the VT and ZT models need them, but not the ST units? Why are the ST units running so much cooler than those other two models?

My only guess is because of the more powerful processor on the VT/ZT requires more cooling.

post #5869 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paticao View Post

VLC is extremely light as well
post #5870 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 View Post

VLC is extremely light as well
Especially the portable version. wink.gif
post #5871 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 09:26 AM

Liked: 11
VLC and MPC are ok, both of them. Unfortunately none of those plays blu rays. Hence the need for PowerDVD or WinDVD.

It may be a good ideea to have a separate, dedicated, blu ray player but that adds to the device number.
post #5872 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:

VLC and MPC are ok, both of them. Unfortunately none of those plays blu rays. Hence the need for PowerDVD or WinDVD.

It may be a good ideea to have a separate, dedicated, blu ray player but that adds to the device number.
What about windows media classic home theater? (Probably not) Isn't there a codec to add that ability? I'll check it out when I get home.
post #5873 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Did you change motion smoother to mid or strong? Doesn't sound like you did.

I did, yes. Reading these thread while waiting over a month for my set I did pickup a setting or two to use :P

I'll try it again later on something like Prometheus that was filmed in 3D and see if there's any difference.

post #5874 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 09:47 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post

I did, yes. Reading these thread while waiting over a month for my set I did pickup a setting or two to use :P

I'll try it again later on something like Prometheus that was filmed in 3D and see if there's any difference.

Try changing to 120hz in 3D settings. This seems to work best for me.
post #5875 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Is it confirmed that the ST60 sets do not have cooling fans, and if so why do the VT60 and ZT60 models need them, but not the ST units? Why are the ST60 units running so much cooler than those other two models?

That is because the VT and the ZT use stronger black Level filter, so the Panel has to produce much more light Output to achive the equal amount of brightness than the ST model.
post #5876 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggweeziehd View Post

Anyone else watching the finals on ABC on COMCAST and the sound is not DD and the video looks like garbage! Wish they would leave the finals on TNT!!!

Yes. ABC looks crappy. Its amazing how this TV really shows how much variance there can be from station to station and even broadcast to broadcast in regards to PQ.
post #5877 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 457
What's funny is everything else looks like crap on TNT but when they show sporting events the quality is stellar definitley difference in compression or something

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #5878 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

What's funny is everything else looks like crap on TNT but when they show sporting events the quality is stellar definitley difference in compression or something

It's funny you say that because when I had Charter Cable, NBA on TNT was unwatchable for me with all the motion blur. While ESPN and ABC was pretty good. Watching NHL on NBCsports was just a okay experience. I called Charter and complained about this, they would just tell me my signal was strong and good. They even had a techinician come out and he checked all the signals and said they were good as well. At the end they just blamed TNT for not giving them a good signal to provide to us. Who knows if that's true or not.

Had enough of this and took the leap over to Directv a week. I have to say, I'm extremely happy with watching sports on my 65ST60 now. With the new Genie I was even able to watch the hockey and basketball games in PIP.

It's really frustrating these cable and dish companies can't just provide us with the best picture so we can stop complaining and have to look for other options.
post #5879 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Is it the Ultra version? biggrin.gif

Are playing a 3d blu ray or an mkv/file?

It is the latest Ultra version (13). I am trying to play a mkv file. I think the tv isn't recognizing the signal that PDVD is outputting. I came to this conclusion when I downloaded the Matroska codec for winamp and played it through that. Worked DIVINELY. So, there it is. Hello WInamp. I hated you, but now you're my BFF

You know...I think it may be the HDMI cables i'm using. They are rather obsolete regarding playback of certain signals that PDVD will allow to pass through ??? I notice that one option in the 3D menu -- it's either Source or Display Device -- there is a radio button for HDMI 1.4 1920x1080@60Hz. WHenever i click that option i get an error msg that my device doesn't support that-or something to that effect. So I'm browsing cables now and will invest and take it from there.
post #5880 of 12708 Old 06-07-2013, 11:36 AM

If you are playing mkv files just drop powerdvd out of the ecuation. Use VLC or media player.

As for codecs i use Shark007 ones.

Amazon has a cheap fast HDMI cable.
sealteamz6 likes this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page