AVS Forum banner
1M views 15K replies 1K participants last post by  John Hooper 
#1 ·
With the 2013 CES announcement of the new plasmas, i would start a thread to address questions regarding the likely popular st60 series plasma sets available in 50, 55, 60, and 65 inch sizes.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P50st60

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread#post_23115785

Scanning the manual it looks like the ST60 has a lot more features than the ST50 that it replaced:

Has Pro Settings Menu in Custom and also in Cinema mode

Copy Settings function to copy your Custom or Cinema settings to another input or all inputs

Has a new Home Theater picture mode - "provides a soft film-like picture for watching movies in a dark room"

24p Direct In, with a 96Hz setting available for 1080p content via HDMI

1080p Pixel Direct - Enables 1080p 24/60 4:4:4 signal

Has HDMI/DVI RGB range Auto/Standard/Non-Standard adjustment (standard RGB 16-235 or non-compliance 0-255)

Overscan On/Off setting (looks like it replaces HDMI Size 1 and HDMI Size 2)

Has more stretch modes, and adds vertical size adjustment to the Just mode

Screen Display On/Off (useful when listening to sound without watching the screen - press any key and picture returns)

Screen Wipe (Scrolling Bar) doesn't mention being timed out after 15 minutes like before, pressing any key cancels it

Built-In Wireless

The ST50 has screen display on/off and screen wipe and overscan on/off to name just 3 of those supposed new features

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread#post_23115537

Here is a photo from his twitter

. He mentioned the reds were dead on accurate, and raving over picture . Believe he may be a calibrator.

Ha! At first I thought that you were talking about US but I see this is EU.

Where are our US pictures?

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/0_100#post_23115785

Scanning the manual it looks like the ST60 has a lot more features than the ST50 that it replaced:

Has Pro Settings Menu in Custom and also in Cinema mode

Copy Settings function to copy your Custom or Cinema settings to another input or all inputs

Has a new Home Theater picture mode - "provides a soft film-like picture for watching movies in a dark room"

24p Direct In, with a 96Hz setting available for 1080p content via HDMI

1080p Pixel Direct - Enables 1080p 24/60 4:4:4 signal

Has HDMI/DVI RGB range Auto/Standard/Non-Standard adjustment (standard RGB 16-235 or non-compliance 0-255)

Overscan On/Off setting (looks like it replaces HDMI Size 1 and HDMI Size 2)

Has more stretch modes, and adds vertical size adjustment to the Just mode

Screen Display On/Off (useful when listening to sound without watching the screen - press any key and picture returns)

Screen Wipe (Scrolling Bar) doesn't mention being timed out after 15 minutes like before, pressing any key cancels it

Built-In Wireless

Those are very useful new ST60 features.

The ST50 however also had built-in wireless networking, it was the UT50 models that only had wired networking.

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zAndy12  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/0_100#post_23115914

The ST50 has screen display on/off and screen wipe and overscan on/off to name just 3 of those supposed new features
How exactly do you activate screen display off on the ST50?

The new feature on the ST60's screen wipe may be no time limit compared to the ST50's 15min time limit.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zAndy12  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread#post_23115914

Supposed new features? The TC-PxxST50 didn't have "Screen Wipe" - it had Scrolling Bar and that scrolling bar timed out. Looks like the new Screen Wipe does not time out which was my point. I would love to have a scrolling bar that doesn't time out in 15 minutes.

What menu on the TC-PxxST50 has an "Overscan" setting ? And what menu has the "Screen Display On/Off" setting? I don't see either of these in my TC-P50GT50's menu which is the same as the TC-PxxST50 menu. I also couldn't find it in the manual. Where did you find it?

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread#post_23116322

........The ST50 however also had built-in wireless networking, it was the UT50 models that only had wired networking.

Whoops, i had pasted the new TC-PxxS60 features into this TC-PxxST60 thread and apparently i forgot to edit that line out

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/30#post_23116413

And what menu has the "Screen Display On/Off" setting? I don't see either of these in my TC-P50GT50's menu which is the same as the TC-PxxST50 menu. I also couldn't find it in the manual. Where did you find it?

He's in the UK.

My NZ GT50 has Screen On/Off in the Picture menu. But it only works for external sources.

My scroll bar also doesn't time out. I've run mine for 10 hours straight and I often will put the timer on at night for an hour and leave the scroll bar going.

Its really good to see Panasonic unifying these features and functions between regions. Someone there must have finally come to their senses.

#36 ·
I just got my 55ST60 set up yesterday. I cannot tell you where the speakers are located because I am not at home now but I suspect they are at the sides instead of the bottom because the sound is much better than it was on the 50ST50 (which I had for about 5 weeks before it failed). The TV sound on the ST60 is comparable to my Sony XBR9 which sounds much better than most current flat screen televisions.

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by betheri  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/30#post_23119574

I just got my 55ST60 set up yesterday. I cannot tell you where the speakers are located because I am not at home now but I suspect they are at the sides instead of the bottom because the sound is much better than it was on the 50ST50 (which I had for about 5 weeks before it failed). The TV sound on the ST60 is comparable to my Sony XBR9 which sounds much better than most current flat screen televisions.

Any chance of seeing some pictures matey? Maybe some in bright conditions and some showing off its blacks in a pitch black room?

Do you think the PQ has improved over the ST50?

#38 ·
We got our in the other day, thought I would keep it a surprise

Review: Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma

With last year's ST and GT50 plasmas, Panasonic produced what could very well have been the most solid bang for the buck displays in years. Nipping at the heels of the highly esteemed VT50, the ST50 lacked some calibration flexibility and refinement, but offered very similar core performance. Rumor had it that the new 60 series would not be significantly overhauled from the 50 series, but Chris, owner of Cleveland Plasma, invited me over to judge for myself.

The ST60's thin, black bezel design is simple but attractive. In addition, it has an effective screen filter, keeping blacks fairly dark even in moderately bright ambient light. However, reflections were more distinct and obvious on the ST60 than on some other top performers like the Samsung F8500.

Buzzing was minimal; just audible with bright test patterns in a quiet room at a distance of six feet. In normal use, the buzzing caused by this particular sample would be of absolutely no concern, as should image retention, which seemed very minimal with my test patterns.

One of the things that distinguished last year's VT50 from the ST50 was the VT's more comprehensive calibration adjustments, allowing the VT to be tuned with more precision and netting a slightly more refined picture as a result. This has taken an interesting twist with the 60 series, with the addition of 10 point gamma and white balance controls and CMS adjustment for the primary colors. These are mostly what the ST50 lacked, and Panasonic has thoughtfully included them in the new ST60. The new adjustments are available in the Cinema and Custom picture modes.

Before calibration:

The ST60 comes roaring out of the gate in Standard mode. Well, on second thought, Standard actually seems more like a disinterested, boring trot. Dim, with bluish whites and dark details sinking down into black, it would be smart to change out of Standard mode as soon as possible.

Home Theater picture mode, a new addition for the 60 series, gave a very pleasant picture on the ST60. I was impressed with the punchy, exciting contrast, reasonably good shadow detail, and pleasant looking color with the exception of slightly pinkish skin tones. A quick and easy switch to Home Theater mode will show a lot of what the ST60 is capable of.

Cinema mode also looked good overall, though I was aware of slightly greenish overtones in the picture. In addition, skin tones were not nearly ruddy and rich enough, leaving people looking a bit lifeless and jaundice. However, good traits were abundant, most notably of which was a seductively rich contrast and a clean presentation overall.

Custom mode, while an excellent candidate for calibration, did not fare nearly as well before any adjustments were made. The picture was nice and bright, but it was lacking in shadow detail, making dark objects appear to sink down into a black blob. In addition, skin tones had a healthy dose of chronic sunburn, giving lobster-like reddish tones to ordinary looking people.

Vivid was like a pumped up Custom mode- all the unpleasant characteristics appeared to have been carefully nurtured and multiplied. Whites, already a bit overbearing in Custom, appeared strained, bluer, and brighter still in Vivid. Skin tones weren't merely red; in Vivid they nearly glowed. Graininess abounded in a gaudy, overly enhanced picture.

Calibration:

Calibration was performed in Custom mode. Panasonic's menu timeout makes calibration somewhat frustrating; in addition, I was bothered by slightly finicky measured performance that reminded me a bit of the older and fussier VT30. Since the review sample only had about 30-40 hours on it, those traits are hopefully just a byproduct of a panel that hasn't quite had a chance to settle in yet.

While CMS adjustments have been included for the primary colors, I could not find similar adjustments for the secondary colors, so I was glad to see that the secondaries fell into alignment fairly well after adjustment of the primary colors.

Another addition to the ST60 is a 96 Hz mode for Blu Ray, though inputting a 1080P/24 signal and having the ST60 set to 60 Hz looked pleasing and at least as good as 96 Hz. The ST60's handling of motion can also be modified with the Motion Smoother, which adds frame interpolation, leading to an unnatural look if overdone. After adjustment of these settings, I was pleased by the ST60's motion.

As suggested by the before calibration viewing, black levels and contrast on the ST60 were outstanding. With Custom mode calibrated to 51.4 fL peak white, full field black measured .00232 fL, and the modified ANSI contrast was 11,200:1 (.0029/32.48 fL). A full, 100% white field generated 18.47 fL. Custom mode reached the calibrated 51.4 fL at a contrast setting of 78. Consistent with prior models, panel brightness high was not as accurate as mid, and normally using mid will give plenty of light output and would be the preferred setting. Maximum light output could go even higher with little or no compromise in image accuracy, which is a very welcome characteristic. With more loading of the ABL circuitry, the ST60's white balance shifted red; larger windows and fields measured warmer than very small windows. For pixel perfect resolution at 1080P, overscan must be turned off and H size 1 selected.

Evaluation:

Unfortunately, my viewing of the ST60 was limited to Blu Ray viewing in a moderately bright room. Evaluation of different content in a dark room will have to wait for a follow up. In this less than ideal environment, the ST60 satisfied with a rich contrast and very good sense of depth. Skin tones had excellent color, though the ST60's handling of brightly lit faces reminded me of the GT50's rendition in THX Cinema mode: some shadings were not quite natural. This, I suspect, is a byproduct of the slightly fussy calibration behavior, which I am hoping was due to insufficient break in time. Regardless, it was minor and the overall presentation was extremely good. Sharpness was natural; not hyped or enhanced, but fully detailed when the scene supported it. Color appeared to be very accurate and lifelike in every scene I looked at. Other aspects of the ST60's performance were masked by the ambient light in the room and will have to wait for further testing.

The ST60 does seem to be a significant advance over the ST/GT50; it's contrast measuring better than anything I have obtained with those models, and more detailed calibration adjustments allowing for more refinement and flexibility. I loved the GT50 so much last year that I did something I had not done before and have not done since: I bought one for my own living room shortly after finishing the review. I do believe Panasonic has succeeded in making an outstanding bang for the buck performer significantly better. Please, please don't give up on plasma, Panasonic! The ST60 is a gem!

Chad B

PDF File on Calibration Report Here

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/30#post_23119915

We got our in the other day, thought I would keep it a surprise

Hehe cheeky. Please can we have some pics showing it off.

Also any comparisons to the ST50 would be great.

#40 ·
I cannot really show any pics. But as I posted on another thread (ST60s are shipping!) yesterday, I think the ST 60s are better than he ST50 in three areas for sure. First, they seem to handle a 1080i signal from a hi def cable box better than the ST50. I had a 50 inch ST50 and I find the cable box picture to be sharper and smoother on the new larger 55 inch ST60 with the same or very similar picture settings. I have watched a fair bit of basketball and hockey on both sets and the ST60 is better. Second, the apps and internet menus appear to have much better software for media player an for linking to a DLNA server device. I had my ST60 hooked up to my LAN and playing all sorts of media files from my network hard drive (which has a DLNA server software program built in) within minutes. Third, the TV alone sound is much better than the ST50. It is quite listenable. I would also say the blacks continue to be spectacular even with my black levels on the "light" setting.

I hope that helps. I have mine in a basement family room so cannot report on how it works in a high light setting.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by betheri  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/30#post_23120014

I cannot really show any pics. But as I posted on another thread (ST60s are shipping!) yesterday, I think the ST 60s are better than he ST50 in three areas for sure. First, they seem to handle a 1080i signal from a hi def cable box better than the ST50. I had a 50 inch ST50 and I find the cable box picture to be sharper and smoother on the new larger 55 inch ST60 with the same or very similar picture settings. I have watched a fair bit of basketball and hockey on both sets and the ST60 is better. Second, the apps and internet menus appear to have much better software for media player an for linking to a DLNA server device. I had my ST60 hooked up to my LAN and playing all sorts of media files from my network hard drive (which has a DLNA server software program built in) within minutes. Third, the TV alone sound is much better than the ST50. It is quite listenable. I would also say the blacks continue to be spectacular even with my black levels on the "light" setting.

I hope that helps. I have mine in a basement family room so cannot report on how it works in a high light setting.

Thanks for the update. By the way, "light" is the only option to ever use.

#42 ·
I've had my 50ST60 up and running for 3 days now, and have had a chance to evaluate it in a fairly bright room. I've watched mostly basketball and can say that I've had no urge to tweak or change the default settings in the Custom picture setting. Good blacks, contrast and handles the light without being washed out. As mentioned earlier, it has more adjustments than any TV of this price range I've seen. I just wish I could have watched the Clones beat Ohio State on it.

#43 ·
I concur with Markjl's post on the ST60 default settings and adjustments. I have owned top quality flat screens from Sony, Samsung, and Sharp, and two prior Pannies. In all cases, including my defective ST50, I had to spend several days tweaking picture settings to get a picture that was close to natural looking in terms of color, light and contrast. For some reason the ST60 seemed to have default settings in each of the several picture modes (standard, cinema, home theatre, custom) that were quite watchable with little or no adjustment.

The speakers are on the rear sides about midpoint between the top and bottom of the screen.

#44 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'm really considering buying this so I have a few questions.

I had a st50 and a vt50 and found that when viewing the 55" from 8-9ft I could see excessive dither. How is it on the st60?

How's the buzzing? Is it heard on bright screens from viewing distance?

Would you defiantly say it produces a sharper image than the st50 as I thought the st50 was slightly soft?

Is the design the same as the vt50?

How do it keep its black level and contrast during daytime viewing?

Is the screen black or grey when turned off?

Sorry for all the questions but its a 3 our round trip to demo the set.

#45 ·
I have watched one lengthy blu ray with quiet passages and two hockey games and several basketball games. I have not heard any audible buzzing even during hockey with the contrast set at 95 or 100, so I do not think buzzing is an issue on this set. The looks are not as impressive as the ST50 as they no longer have the impressive glass border on the bezel. Now the fairly narrow black plastic bezel has a stainless steel band wrapped around the outside edge. It is plainer in appearance, not as flashy, but has a quiet classic look. As far as I can tell the stand mount no longer swivels, which the ST50 did quite smoothly. But the stand is basic black like the bezel, not platinum like the ST50 stand.

I don't know what the new VT looks like so can't comment on that. I do think the image is sharper than the ST50 especially with my 1080i cable box signal.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by betheri  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/30#post_23120689

I have watched one lengthy blu ray with quiet passages and two hockey games and several basketball games. I have not heard any audible buzzing even during hockey with the contrast set at 95 or 100, so I do not think buzzing is an issue on this set. The looks are not as impressive as the ST50 as they no longer have the impressive glass border on the bezel. Now the fairly narrow black plastic bezel has a stainless steel band wrapped around the outside edge. It is plainer in appearance, not as flashy, but has a quiet classic look. As far as I can tell the stand mount no longer swivels, which the ST50 did quite smoothly. But the stand is basic black like the bezel, not platinum like the ST50 stand.

I don't know what the new VT looks like so can't comment on that. I do think the image is sharper than the ST50 especially with my 1080i cable box signal.

Thanks. Just a couple more questions .....I promise

Is the screen black or grey when turned off?

How do the blacks hold up in daytime?

When viewing in pitch black do the blacks bars disappear into the bezel?

Cheers

#47 ·
Today was my 30th day with my 55"st50 returned it to abc warehouse I couldn't take the soft picture. I tried to love it right up to the last minute. But while on the couch shopping on my phone saw BB had 50" st60s in stock so I got one right after I returned the 50. I spent a month solid everyday fiddling with the 50 and have the look of the picture memorized so I will report the differences when I have it up and running!

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggweeziehd  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/30#post_23120845

Today was my 30th day with my 55"st50 returned it to abc warehouse I couldn't take the soft picture. I tried to love it right up to the last minute. But while on the couch shopping on my phone saw BB had 50" st60s in stock so I got one right after I returned the 50. I spent a month solid everyday fiddling with the 50 and have the look of the picture memorized so I will report the differences when I have it up and running!

That would be great.

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggweeziehd  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/30#post_23120845

That would be great.

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by betheri  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/30#post_23120689

This is exactly what I wanted to hear! IMO the one area that was not quite up to par on last years models was video processing for cable content.

I also didn't like the looks of the ST50. Too plastic.

Now the biggest question left for me is have they improved IR susceptibility?

#51 ·
St50 vs st60 bezel wrapped in stainless steel instead of acrylic 60 has no backlight on remote after you install the base they deleted the little plastic cover that covered the screws. Screen when off is not as grey as the 50 but still not black PICTURE IS SHARPER not "film like" or whatever name they call it. Going to throw my disney WOW at it and watch dark knight rises and post after