post #6211 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDocB View Post

I plan on doing a mix of viewing and slides. I was going to do D-nice's settings but if there are prefered alternatives point me to em! smile.gif
There are other settings available, You should try as many as you like, but there are no preferred settings. wink.gif

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

I just picked up a Harmony 600 remote for $40! Only issue I am having is the buttons seem to be double clicking when I control the ST60 with it. Even when I quickly tap the button it moves 2 spots on the menu. I am not having this issue with any other devices.

Is there a fix for this? Maybe a sensitivity setting or soomething?

I've noticed the same thing with the Panasonic remote that came with the set, it seems to overshoot the choice I am trying to make as though the button were pressed twice, so it may not be the remote.
post #6213 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I just picked up a Harmony 600 remote for $40! Only issue I am having is the buttons seem to be double clicking when I control the ST60 with it. Even when I quickly tap the button it moves 2 spots on the menu. I am not having this issue with any other devices.

Is your Harmony new or second hand? If it's new you can get help from Harmony for 90 days. Bond's advise is right, and should work with a little tinkering.

If you are still having problems contact Harmony support. Our problem was with the older Harmony 1000 and no matter what adjustments I made it still didn't work right. It took the third level of Harmony support to get a patch that corrected the problem in the 1000. The 1100 has worked fine almost all the time. wink.gif

Calibration Resources:

post #6214 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 11:17 AM

Liked: 15
New ST60 owner here. So far, love the PQ in 2d, great black level, using Dnice settings with low red in 2 point WB reduced to -3 as this seems to get rid of the red push some have commented on. As to 3d, when I played 3d blu-rays I noticed weird motion, and even putting motion smoother to high didn't totally fix it, and it introduced a noticeable "soap-opera" effect. Changing the refresh rates didn't really help much, and I was strongly considering returning the TV b/c of the poor 3d. Well, just playing with various settings I tried turning off 24p playback in my blu-ray player, and this made a HUGE difference! With motion smoothing set to mid and 96HZ refresh rate, there is almost zero cross-talk, and I cannot see virtually any soap-opera effect. Also, the motion in 3d looks normal again. I am curious if anyone else has experienced weird motion handling in 3d, and if anyone has tried turning off 24p playback and if it improved 3d playback?
post #6215 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

Try the supplied remote. If your ST60 is like the two 50ST60s I've had, it will double-click maybe 20% of the time. The S60 I had did not exhibit this problem. Also, the ST60 menus are laggy compared to the S60.

As for universal remotes, I use a Sony RM-VL610, and it behaves just like the supplied remote. If your Harmony is doing it on every press, there is probably hope of getting it to the 20% baseline, but if it's only doing it occasionally, I don't think there's anything you can do.
post #6216 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

What happens when you notice it?

If you notice it during normal viewing its an issue. If you don't its not an issue.
post #6217 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

Try the supplied remote. If your ST60 is like the two 50ST60s I've had, it will double-click maybe 20% of the time. The S60 I had did not exhibit this problem. Also, the ST60 menus are laggy compared to the S60.

As for universal remotes, I use a Sony RM-VL610, and it behaves just like the supplied remote. If your Harmony is doing it on every press, there is probably hope of getting it to the 20% baseline, but if it's only doing it occasionally, I don't think there's anything you can do.

It does it on every click!
I have never noticed any double click issues with my ST60 and supplied remote.
post #6218 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 View Post

If you notice it during normal viewing its an issue. If you don't its not an issue.
If you get image retention & it doesn't come off, to me that is an issue, even if it's not visible during moving images, but to each his own.

My Panasonic 60ST60 Settings

post #6219 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

Good, then it may be fixable.
Quote:

Have you spent much time in the picture settings like the 10 point white balance? The longer you use the menus, the more likely you are to notice it. I know I'm not the only one to have commented on this over the last few months.
post #6220 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by lueastside View Post

It almost looks like someone was handling it from the inside just left a small mark or something, ...
A small worker may have been trapped during the manufacturing process. This could be serious.

Greg Lee
post #6221 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

Good, then it may be fixable.
Have you spent much time in the picture settings like the 10 point white balance? The longer you use the menus, the more likely you are to notice it. I know I'm not the only one to have commented on this over the last few months.
Hope so or I mite have to return it.

Yeah I have been in the advanced menus many times. If it happens it doesn't bother me.
post #6222 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 01:22 PM

Liked: 10
For 2D to 3D I use Sony S790 to do the conversion( use Optional button on player to increase the depth.) It looks a lot a better compare to using ST60 to do 2D to 3D.
post #6223 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

A small worker may have been trapped during the manufacturing process. This could be serious.
lol

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #6224 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:

Thats good. Now I know that fix will work.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #6225 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Have you been smoking some of that fabled Maui wowee?? Heheh email me some wink.gif
post #6226 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 02:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

good one! Mahalo!
post #6227 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 03:09 PM

please post an update on this thread once you install and get the tv set. I probably will buy this tv, just found out not carried in Costco stores. Just want to make sure it fits your tv and everything is fine before ordering

also, how are you guys going about running the wires when you wall mount? I just noticed that if you want to run them in the wall you need to have an outlet placed hidden behind the tv, Cant have power cords going into the wall, I guess.

One advantage of running them down the wall in the concealed wire holder painted to watch the wall
post #6228 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 03:37 PM

Ok. TV delivered looks great! Running slides now.

So what should I look for to make sure I dont have a bad panel?
post #6229 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 03:55 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa1 View Post

New ST60 owner here. So far, love the PQ in 2d, great black level, using Dnice settings with low red in 2 point WB reduced to -3 as this seems to get rid of the red push some have commented on. As to 3d, when I played 3d blu-rays I noticed weird motion, and even putting motion smoother to high didn't totally fix it, and it introduced a noticeable "soap-opera" effect. Changing the refresh rates didn't really help much, and I was strongly considering returning the TV b/c of the poor 3d. Well, just playing with various settings I tried turning off 24p playback in my blu-ray player, and this made a HUGE difference! With motion smoothing set to mid and 96HZ refresh rate, there is almost zero cross-talk, and I cannot see virtually any soap-opera effect. Also, the motion in 3d looks normal again. I am curious if anyone else has experienced weird motion handling in 3d, and if anyone has tried turning off 24p playback and if it improved 3d playback?

I would also like to know more about this please
mdanderson likes this.
post #6230 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 04:16 PM

Does $500 to calibrate both 2d and 3d seem too much? Found someone local from the calibrators thread, but not sure if that is the going rate or not
post #6231 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah bjj View Post

Does $500 to calibrate both 2d and 3d seem too much? Found someone local from the calibrators thread, but not sure if that is the going rate or not
I just answered the same question for another poster in the Sharp Elite thread.

That depends on who is doing it, if they are local or on tour, and how much you are asking them to do. For an anonymous calibrator, almost anything might be too much. wink.gif

Defining what "full" means in your situation would help. How many modes -- 2D, 3D, audio?

Have you checked out other well known calibrators that do tours. It never hurts to do price comparisons.

Where is local? It seems a little high for an anonymous calibrator who isn't charging for the travel costs of a tour. Is he driving a long distance?

Have you checked the link in the signature section of my post to see if there have been any reports about the calibrator's work. Check post number two for flat panel displays. You should look for him in any plasma list.

Calibration Resources:

post #6232 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I just answered the same question for another poster in the Sharp Elite thread.

That depends on who is doing it, if they are local or on tour, and how much you are asking them to do. For an anonymous calibrator, almost anything might be too much. wink.gif

Defining what "full" means in your situation would help. How many modes -- 2D, 3D, audio?

Have you checked out other well known calibrators that do tours. It never hurts to do price comparisons.

Where is local? It seems a little high for an anonymous calibrator who isn't charging for the travel costs of a tour. Is he driving a long distance?

Have you checked the link in the signature section of my post to see if there have been any reports about the calibrator's work. Check post number two for flat panel displays. You should look for him in any plasma list.

Thanks for the reply!!!

I live in Phoenix, AZ. It is too far for Chad to travel. I had my previous set calibrated years ago (70" sony xbr 720p) I think by Avical when he was on tour through Phoenix. Have emailed him with no response (only been a couple days).

The local person is from the thread in the calibration section. His name is Lee Galagher. I dont know who the big names are in calibration so he could be the best , or could just be 'some guy'

The $500 is for the tv in 2d and 3d. $100 of that is the extra cost for 3d. No audio
post #6233 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog000 View Post

Most people??? To each his own.

I think D-Nice's settings are the most accurate for a realistic film experience. I used his setting and did some minor tweaking of my own. Assuming you ran his slides it's a great place to start.

Edit - for dark rooms - i.e. nighttime film viewing. I don't use his setting in the daytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

HD2Blu, your advise to ThatDoc is fine, but your comments about D-Nice's settings is gratuitous crap. wink.gif

Due to the variation from sample to sample there is no way that "borrowed" settings from anyone are equivalent to having a display professionally calibrated. Second, D-Nice's settings, if you followed his instructions exactly, will, in D-Nice's words, generally get you to a good starting point for further adjustments.

I have nothing against trying D-Nice's settings without exactly following his instructions, or understanding that they are a starting point, unless the person doing it makes comments like you did. There are people who have posted that D-Nice's settings are too dark and too red, but you have no basis to speak for most people. None of us do. smile.gif

Geez guys....I write "one" word wrong and everyone jumps all over it. Change "most" to "many/some/a few". First off I am a HUGE fan of Dnice and what he does here. I have read every single page of the ST50, this ST60 thread, and the Panny settings thread by Dnice. I've watched him lead discussions during the Value Electronics shootout (via YouTube) and if you paid attention to this thread at all I have posted like 200 times in here. I was trying to save the guy alot of reading which he would most likely end up coming to the same conclusion that I did - try Dnice, try Cadett's, try Cnet, try home theater magazine, etc. etc...decide to calibrate it professionally. Just trying to help. Sorry I said "most".

EDIT: now looking over my comments - I'm thinking you all are gonna jump all over the "everyone" word now wink.gif so...correction - 2 people smile.gif
post #6234 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 07:57 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post

Geez guys....

What settings did you settle on, or did you get yours calibrated professionally? So far I've only tried CNET and Dnice, and I prefered Dnice's way more, but I only evaluated them both for about an hour worth of Uverse. I paused some commercial though which had a whitish background with these dots, and Dnice's settings brought out the most detail out of it, while CNET and Standard/Home crushed the whites. I still want to try cadetts in the next couple of days.

Office - Onkyo 506, AV123 X-LS Encore Monitors
Living Room -Panasonic 60ST60, Onkyo 707, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR
Car - Arc Audio Black 6.2; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; (2) Arc Audio Black 12 v2
post #6235 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog000 View Post

Maybe I haven't seen sets with better 3D, but from an avid movie fan's perspective I think it works great with the right content. Movies that were shot in 3D look great with the right settings (I prefer medium smoothing and 120 hz). I find the experience more enjoyable than watching 3D in the theatre.

The 2D to 3D conversion looks awful, of course, because 2D to 3D conversion is impossible to do right. As always - content is king. Good stuff in = good stuff out.

Unless 3D is the main reason you are buying a TV, in my humble opinon you should have no problem with this set.

The picture is gorgeous and the price (for 60" and below) is quite frankly a steal.

Sincerely,
A happy 60ST60 owner

Thanks for the input. Yes, the price on the 60" ST60 is a really good deal but I am planning on getting the 65" which is bit more expensive but still a good deal. This will be my first plasma and 3D tv. Thanks again for your thoughts on this/

Matt
post #6236 of 12934 Old 06-14-2013, 11:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah bjj View Post

I live in Phoenix, AZ. It is too far for Chad to travel. I had my previous set calibrated years ago (70" sony xbr 720p) I think by Avical when he was on tour through Phoenix. Have emailed him with no response (only been a couple days).

The local person is from the thread in the calibration section. His name is Lee Galagher. I dont know who the big names are in calibration so he could be the best , or could just be 'some guy'

The $500 is for the tv in 2d and 3d. $100 of that is the extra cost for 3d. No audio
Lee Galagher is well known. He's not just some guy, so I think you are in good hands. Avical is the name of David Abrams' company,and he is out of Los Angeles. He's also well known. dave@avical.com

You will find reports from their customers under their AVS user names. I don't know Lee's AVS user name, but David Abrams uses his own name at AVS.

Be sure to have over 300 hours on your set before you have a professional calibration done.

Enjoy.

Calibration Resources:

post #6237 of 12934 Old 06-15-2013, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Is everyone mostly satisfied with their OTA Channels and the de-interlacing capabilities of the ST60? I own the 65ST50 which is last year's model and is very very soft on cable/ OTA channels. I've heard that Panasonic has used a different processor on this year's models and this problem is no longer an issue. If that's the case- I might buy the 50ST60 for my bedroom set.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated especially from owners that have experience with last year's models for comparison purposes.
post #6238 of 12934 Old 06-15-2013, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post

What settings did you settle on, or did you get yours calibrated professionally? So far I've only tried CNET and Dnice, and I prefered Dnice's way more, but I only evaluated them both for about an hour worth of Uverse. I paused some commercial though which had a whitish background with these dots, and Dnice's settings brought out the most detail out of it, while CNET and Standard/Home crushed the whites. I still want to try cadetts in the next couple of days.

I eventually had mine professionally calibrated but before that Cadett's looked the best on my set. But during calibration, I found out that Cadett's were pretty much spot on for MY set (since individual panels need to be taken into consideration). The calibrator did before and after charts and both Cadett and I were pretty impressed how close they were.
post #6239 of 12934 Old 06-15-2013, 07:07 AM

I'm new to the plasma world. I just got my new st60 last night.

After hooking it up it looked great for about 3 hours. After that, I got a horizontal line about 3/4th across the top of the screen.

I did make some changes to the picture settings but reset to factory settings and the line is still present.

Any ideas what is causing it?

2013-06-14_22-45-40_243.jpg 491k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-06-14_22-45-40_243.jpg (490.8 KB, 138 views)
post #6240 of 12934 Old 06-15-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiestyle View Post

I'm new to the plasma world. I just got my new st60 last night.

After hooking it up it looked great for about 3 hours. After that, I got a horizontal line about 3/4th across the top of the screen.

I did make some changes to the picture settings but reset to factory settings and the line is still present.

Any ideas what is causing it?

2013-06-14_22-45-40_243.jpg 491k .jpg file

Well that's weird.. confused.gif

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread - P55st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page