post #6301 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

So you want a way to smooth the motion without using motion smoothing? Maybe Panasonic can figure out what you're asking for, but I sure can't.
What he is saying is he would like a smooth 3d picture without the SOE that is needed to be turned on to make 3d even watchable on this TV. It can be done in 2d so it should be capable of the same picture in 3d.

Having to turn motion smoother on mid or high to make something tolerable to watch is a pretty big f'up on Panasonic's part. Also, if people were not part of this site and owned this TV, they wouldn't even know you needed to do that and would just think that 3d doesn't work on this TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6302 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
would be interested to know also settings for australian models - i am due to get my 65" very shortly too
post #6303 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post

I'm still going back and forth between settings, sure wish there were 2 custom modes hehe.

Same! I tried Cadett's but things looked a little too yellowish and washed out on some content so I switched to D-Nice's and there isn't as much of a washed out look but there was something about Caddetts that I preferred overall. Oh well. I wonder how much will actually change after 100 hours or so. I didn't do slides and now I feel like I ruined perfect aging on my t.v by not doing that. I'm probably worrying for no reason.

On both settings I had to turn the sharpness back to 50. I don't know if that means I'm "doing it wrong" but the image was just too soft for me with 0 sharpness. I really like natural skin tones and everything but for colours to pop and on both settings right now, the PS3 background looks a little dull. As do cartoons. Not sure if like I said a few pages ago that's because of the source or if the settings are geared more for live action.

Just to be clear, I think both Cadett and D-Nice did a bang up job with their settings and really appreciate the fact they posted them and for blu ray watching they're amazing.

post #6304 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post

Same! I tried Cadett's but things looked a little too yellowish and washed out on some content so I switched to D-Nice's and there isn't as much of a washed out look but there was something about Caddetts that I preferred overall. Oh well. I wonder how much will actually change after 100 hours or so. I didn't do slides and now I feel like I ruined perfect aging on my t.v by not doing that. I'm probably worrying for no reason.

On both settings I had to turn the sharpness back to 50. I don't know if that means I'm "doing it wrong" but the image was just too soft for me with 0 sharpness. I really like natural skin tones and everything but for colours to pop and on both settings right now, the PS3 background looks a little dull. As do cartoons. Not sure if like I said a few pages ago that's because of the source or if the settings are geared more for live action.

Just to be clear, I think both Cadett and D-Nice did a bang up job with their settings and really appreciate the fact they posted them and for blu ray watching they're amazing.

Yeah don't dwell on not running the slides, whats done is done.. I don't think it's a big deal anyways..

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #6305 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Does the sharpness adjustment really effect this tv? I tried to adjust the sharpness with the wow dics and I could see nothing change I even went nose close and couldn't see a change
post #6306 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by glantern30 View Post

Does the sharpness adjustment really effect this tv? I tried to adjust the sharpness with the wow dics and I could see nothing change I even went nose close and couldn't see a change

The WOW disj is not a good reference for setting sharpness. After 3 sharpening is visibly occurring, I chose to stop it at 8, because I could see contouring to start to happening in fine detail. There are other disk that do a better job at of setting sharpening.
post #6307 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 10:49 AM

Liked: 12
I'm having a helluva time with my ST60 & Panny surround sound Blu-Ray player. I called Panasonic, which did not help and I'm hoping someone here has figured out a solution. Right now, if I'm watching TV and decide to turn on the surround sound on the Blu-Ray player (connected via HDMI and ARC, output #2 on my TV), the set-up automatically switched inputs to the Blu-Ray, regardless of whether or not there is a disc in it. It's super annoying that I have to go back and switch the input to "Satellite" to continue watching TV when all I wanted to do was turn on the surround sound. Panasonic said there is no option to turn off the Blu-Ray override when it is turned on. I find this unacceptable. My work-around right now is to sync the power on & off via my ST60 settings so that when I turn on the TV initially, the Blu-Ray will turn on with surround sound. This does work, although a) it takes about 20-30 seconds for the audio to actually turn on b) we don't always want the surround sound on (like, early morning when my roommate wakes up to watch TV and I'm sleeping in the room right above the TV). Has anyone out there come across this problem and if so, found a better solution? Much obliged!

(First World Problems)
post #6308 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 10:54 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpinkert View Post

The whites on mine seem to get brighter as it ages.

At first, hockey ice was gray. Now, using the same settings, it's bright white, as bright as an LCD I previously had.
I thought the same thing but wasn't sure. My 60ST60 is a couple months old and the whites do seem much whiter to me.. I thought I was seeing things
post #6309 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

On both settings I had to turn the sharpness back to 50. I don't know if that means I'm "doing it wrong" but the image was just too soft for me with 0 sharpness.
I have Sharpness at 30. Whether that's right or wrong depends on what your goal for setup is. The most popular idea in this forum is clearly that the picture should most faithful to the video signal, and in that case, it's wrong, since edges are emphasized above what is present in the signal. Personally, I'm on a completely different page: I think the goal should be to make the picture as much like real life as possible (for scenes that exist in real life). At normal viewing distance, for people with normal vision, real things are not blurry, so if the TV picture is blurry, we need to turn up the sharpness to correct for that. Whether the sharpness is already present in the video signal is irrelevant.

Greg Lee
post #6310 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Scanning the manual it looks like the TC-PxxST60 has a lot more features than the ST50 that it replaced:

Has Pro Settings Menu in Custom and also in Cinema mode

Copy Settings function to copy your Custom or Cinema settings to another input or all inputs

Has a new Home Theater picture mode - "provides a soft film-like picture for watching movies in a dark room"

24p Direct In, with a 96Hz setting available for 1080p content via HDMI

1080p Pixel Direct - Enables 1080p 24/60 4:4:4 signal

Has HDMI/DVI RGB range Auto/Standard/Non-Standard adjustment (standard RGB 16-235 or non-compliance 0-255)

Overscan On/Off setting (looks like it replaces HDMI Size 1 and HDMI Size 2)

Has more stretch modes, and adds vertical size adjustment to the Just mode

Screen Display On/Off (useful when listening to sound without watching the screen - press any key and picture returns)

Screen Wipe (Scrolling Bar) doesn't mention being timed out after 15 minutes like before, pressing any key cancels it

Built-In Wireless Correction - the ST50 also had Built-In Wireless, i forgot to edit this line out when i copy/pasted S60 info - Thanks for the correction guys.

Do you see any other mistakes? :Dquote]

I think the key difference is the Pro Settings Menu in Custom and also in Cinema mode. The ST50 only has this in the Custom mode. I think this would help with calibration.
post #6311 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

I have Sharpness at 30. Whether that's right or wrong depends on what your goal for setup is. The most popular idea in this forum is clearly that the picture should most faithful to the video signal, and in that case, it's wrong, since edges are emphasized above what is present in the signal. Personally, I'm on a completely different page: I think the goal should be to make the picture as much like real life as possible (for scenes that exist in real life). At normal viewing distance, for people with normal vision, real things are not blurry, so if the TV picture is blurry, we need to turn up the sharpness to correct for that. Whether the sharpness is already present in the video signal is irrelevant.

25 was the correct settings for the 2012 sets so you are probably pretty close

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #6312 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I plan on picking up the 65 ST60 here pretty soon, but I just ordered 2 of the Monoprice 3900 wall mounts (one for the this tv that will go in living room and 1 for the 50a550 that will mount in bedroom). Has anyone used this mount? Had the most reviews and looks solid for either set. I'm sure it'll work fine, just asking.

Thanks! biggrin.gif

OH!...I forgot to ask...anyone know how long the power cord is for these sets? I play on running a recessed 1-gang wall plate behind the tv and below the mount to feed the power cord & HDMI through and down into another one behind my tv stand (and into the AVR). I'm assuming this is what most do..

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #6313 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

Yeah don't dwell on not running the slides, whats done is done.. I don't think it's a big deal anyways..
Agree. Aging a plasma TV is just using the TV. As long as the pixels are on they are aging. Running slides does not improve anything whats so ever. There are 2 reasons to run slides, really one but I will give the 2nd just for the heck of it.
1)To age the panel in a quick amount of time if you want to get the TV calibrated or just want put hours on it to check for defects and by using slides you won't have to worry about any static images being left on your screen for a long amount of time.
2) Really doesn't even deserve a number but if you want to see how D-Nice calibrated his TV and reached the number settings he did. Kind of pointless though because no 2 TV's will ever age the same and it has even been said that the panel will shift all the way up to about 300 hours so a 100 hour calibration is a waste of time anyway.

There you have it, so now enjoy your TV.
post #6314 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Scanning the manual it looks like the TC-PxxST60 has a lot more features than the ST50 that it replaced:

Has Pro Settings Menu in Custom and also in Cinema mode

I think the key difference is the Pro Settings Menu in Custom and also in Cinema mode. The ST50 only has this in the Custom mode. I think this would help with calibration.
I would like to know what the controls in "Advanced Picture: HDMI content type" are for.

Greg Lee
post #6315 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 01:20 PM
AKA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

I play on running a recessed 1-gang wall plate behind the tv and below the mount to feed the power cord & HDMI through and down into another one behind my tv stand (and into the AVR). I'm assuming this is what most do..
Running your power cord in-wall is technically in violation of most building codes. The only code-approved methods to hide the power cord are:
  • a new receptacle
  • Wiremold or a similar product
  • a Powerbridge or similar product
post #6316 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 01:58 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

What he is saying is he would like a smooth 3d picture without the SOE that is needed to be turned on to make 3d even watchable on this TV. It can be done in 2d so it should be capable of the same picture in 3d.

Having to turn motion smoother on mid or high to make something tolerable to watch is a pretty big f'up on Panasonic's part. Also, if people were not part of this site and owned this TV, they wouldn't even know you needed to do that and would just think that 3d doesn't work on this TV.

Correct. I wouldn't say motion isn't "smooth" w/o motion smoother in 3D, but more like it's jumbled. It looks like a frame is visible being left behind when something moves. The effect is then broken because it's impossible to focus.
post #6317 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotoor View Post

I'm having a helluva time with my ST60 & Panny surround sound Blu-Ray player. I called Panasonic, which did not help and I'm hoping someone here has figured out a solution. Right now, if I'm watching TV and decide to turn on the surround sound on the Blu-Ray player (connected via HDMI and ARC, output #2 on my TV), the set-up automatically switched inputs to the Blu-Ray, regardless of whether or not there is a disc in it. It's super annoying that I have to go back and switch the input to "Satellite" to continue watching TV when all I wanted to do was turn on the surround sound. Panasonic said there is no option to turn off the Blu-Ray override when it is turned on. I find this unacceptable. My work-around right now is to sync the power on & off via my ST60 settings so that when I turn on the TV initially, the Blu-Ray will turn on with surround sound. This does work, although a) it takes about 20-30 seconds for the audio to actually turn on b) we don't always want the surround sound on (like, early morning when my roommate wakes up to watch TV and I'm sleeping in the room right above the TV). Has anyone out there come across this problem and if so, found a better solution? Much obliged!

(First World Problems)

You can try turning off Viera Link in setup on the TV but you will lose the ARC if you do.
post #6318 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I tried turning that off on the Tv and Blu-Ray player but lost all audio. Any other thoughts?
post #6319 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 04:44 PM

I tried to watch Avatar in 3D but it says that the blu ray player ( PS3 slim) can't find a 3D player. (TC-P60ST60) using hi-speed HDMI cable. Any clues I know its me.
post #6320 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotoor View Post

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I tried turning that off on the Tv and Blu-Ray player but lost all audio. Any other thoughts?

I think the only other thing you can do is use the optical from the TV instead of ARC.
post #6321 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowler View Post

I tried to watch Avatar in 3D but it says that the blu ray player ( PS3 slim) can't find a 3D player. (TC-P60ST60) using hi-speed HDMI cable. Any clues I know its me.
Power down, then hold the power button until it beeps and then let go. Should then recognize your ps3 as 3d.
post #6322 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

I think the only other thing you can do is use the optical from the TV instead of ARC.

Thanks--yeah, I thought about that as well, but don't really want to run another cable if I don't have to (albeit a small one). I think I'll try this new set-up for a bit and see how it goes. Thanks!
post #6323 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

Correct. I wouldn't say motion isn't "smooth" w/o motion smoother in 3D, but more like it's jumbled. It looks like a frame is visible being left behind when something moves. The effect is then broken because it's impossible to focus.
All this discussion about 3D. I guess most, here, don't believe the "experts" that it's a non-starter in the tech world. (eg. ESPN shutting down its 3D cchannel.)
I'm waiting for the "Holodeck" to become a reality. After all, other items from Star Trek have become reality (Eg. Giving instructions to the computer - verbally. Using a "Replicator" to produce 3 dimensional objects etc.)
post #6324 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

All this discussion about 3D. I guess most, here, don't believe the "experts" that it's a non-starter in the tech world. (eg. ESPN shutting down its 3D cchannel.)

I'm sure people believe it but either way, failing gimmick or not some people do enjoy it regardless of 3D taking off.

post #6325 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 PM

Can anyone tell me how well the media player is at handling the diff video formats out there on the 65st60 my gf is Spanish and its kinda her thing watching soaps etc with her mom they trade online.

Also how well does the internal atsc tuner handle ota broadcasts . I have a channel master external with my old set but a friend wants it .. should i hold onto it or let him have it?

Getting the set on the 3rd and still hammering out a final price with the dealer. Cant wait ! Anyone with experience here a response would be most appreciated.smile.gif
post #6326 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone else noticing the headbands on the Miami Heat turning pink on your set?
post #6327 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Anyone else noticing the headbands on the Miami Heat turning pink on your set?
Never mind. Had game mode on.
post #6328 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Still notice it, probably lighting.
post #6329 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Never mind. Had game mode on.
Has your IR disappeared by now?
post #6330 of 13056 Old 06-18-2013, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Still notice it, probably lighting.
I notice it some as well.

PSN: RetroGiant
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page