Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 217 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6481 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So for the past week I've been noticing something on my 60". I sit about 12ft away, and sometimes when I look away from the tv and then back, I can notice these weird yellow/blue trail on things. And if I look at one part of the screen and then look at another part of the screen, I also see this weird yellow/blue shift. In fact, I'm watching right now, and no matter what I watch, if I look away, or go from looking away to looking at the screen, I see these trails. They are not there if I just stare at the same area of the screen though. Is this phosphor trailing? I didn't notice it on the Samsung F8500 I had though, nor on my LED.

Office - Onkyo 506, AV123 X-LS Encore Monitors
Living Room -Panasonic 60ST60, Onkyo 707, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR
Car - Arc Audio Black 6.2; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; (2) Arc Audio Black 12 v2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6482 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 12:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Why did you get rid of the F8500?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #6483 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a panasonic st60 on the weekend but I am having problems with the connections to the audio video receiver. When I watch tv I am using the HDMI 1 connection, the receiver will stay on for about 5 seconds then turn off, when I try to watch a blu ray I use HDMI 2 connection and it turns the receiver off in 5 seconds too. My receiver is a Pioneer 1018 model, I think the HDMI version for that receiver is 1.3. Is there something in the menu to stop this from happening ?
post #6484 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post

So for the past week I've been noticing something on my 60". I sit about 12ft away, and sometimes when I look away from the tv and then back, I can notice these weird yellow/blue trail on things. And if I look at one part of the screen and then look at another part of the screen, I also see this weird yellow/blue shift. In fact, I'm watching right now, and no matter what I watch, if I look away, or go from looking away to looking at the screen, I see these trails. They are not there if I just stare at the same area of the screen though. Is this phosphor trailing? I didn't notice it on the Samsung F8500 I had though, nor on my LED.

Sounds like your seeing phosphor trails.. some TV's its more noticeable than others. Both panasonics and both samsung plasmas I had displayed it.. LED's however do not. It's inherant to plasma technology, it depends on the content too. I never really notice it on blu rays, only on satellite content and lowbitrate streaming content.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #6485 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 07:24 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner23 View Post

I just got a panasonic st60 on the weekend but I am having problems with the connections to the audio video receiver. When I watch tv I am using the HDMI 1 connection, the receiver will stay on for about 5 seconds then turn off, when I try to watch a blu ray I use HDMI 2 connection and it turns the receiver off in 5 seconds too. My receiver is a Pioneer 1018 model, I think the HDMI version for that receiver is 1.3. Is there something in the menu to stop this from happening ?

You may be experiencing issues the Viera Link settings on the TV. Press |Menu| > Setup > VIERA Link.

In that menu there is a setting called Unselected Device Auto Off. It is an On/Off setting and when on will allow the TV to shut down compatible equipment that is not being used as the source.

Edit:
Page 188 of this PDF from Panasonic should give you a good idea of what all of the VIERA Link settings do and which may be contributing to your problems.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/E-HELP_ST60.PDF
post #6486 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmach View Post

Hi, I'm really torn as to weather or not to give the st60 a try. I recently returned an s60. Had an amazing picture with good content. Didn't handle poor content well at all had a awfull clay face effect. Unfortunately poor content seems to be about 80 percent of what you get on dish network. It sounds wierd, but watching an old 60hz lcd is actually less annoying when watching dish. I suppose it's the lowered expectations since at no point are you going to be blown away by the picture quality and then disappointed when you change channels. Anyway, any thought on the subject woild be appreciated.
Should not be as bad as you are describing. Most units now a days are not really made for 480i or less, I mean they do OK. Yes, just OK. After you see HD you are spoiled. I think the ST will do a better job over the S model, however when you start with garbage usually you end with it. ( Switch to Directv when you can smile.gif )
post #6487 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatal One View Post

You may be experiencing issues the Viera Link settings on the TV. Press |Menu| > Setup > VIERA Link.

In that menu there is a setting called Unselected Device Auto Off. It is an On/Off setting and when on will allow the TV to shut down compatible equipment that is not being used as the source.

Edit:
Page 188 of this PDF from Panasonic should give you a good idea of what all of the VIERA Link settings do and which may be contributing to your problems.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/E-HELP_ST60.PDF

I tried the Vierra Link on and off and that didn't solve the problem. I phoned Best Buy and they said I need a new receiver, that it's to old now for today's tvs.
post #6488 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Yes that is fine, They just do not operate well if you where to use them in that altitude. Panasonic's, last I checked, are good up to 10,000 FT.

Where i live here in Colombia is 5000 FT but, it would travel power off in the airplane obviously and it would be used here in colombia in a good altitude (5000 FT). Should i take the risk shipping it to here from there (US) in airplane? or definitely should i buy locally (it most expensive)?

Thank you!
post #6489 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Should not be as bad as you are describing. Most units now a days are not really made for 480i or less, I mean they do OK. Yes, just OK. After you see HD you are spoiled. I think the ST will do a better job over the S model, however when you start with garbage usually you end with it. ( Switch to Directv when you can smile.gif )
Thanks for your input, I've wondered if there is any real difference between dish, direct tv and comcast. I've been told that the hopper is a big improvement over there old hd receivers. Not sure i want to do a contract just to find out. Right now I can call them every year and see what they'll offer me me for not switching. 😀
post #6490 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

I tried the Vierra Link on and off and that didn't solve the problem. I phoned Best Buy and they said I need a new receiver, that it's to old now for today's tvs.

Quote:

As long as you didnt have any previous problems with your receiver, Best buy is full of crap, they just want you to buy a new receiver. The only setback is that is not 3D compatible I believe. Are you hooking up your cable box to HDMI 1 on tv? And Bluray on HDMI 2 on tv? If you are try connecting everything to your receiver HDMI than 1 HDMI cable to your TV. Example : Bluray - HDMI - Bluray HDMI input on receiver, Cable box/satellite - HDMI - HDMI input 2 on receiver. Than HDMI out from receiver to HDMI 1 on tv. See how that works. The only setback is that you will not be able to watch 3D movies that way. Your receiver will not passthrough a 3D signal. If you want to watch 3D than you need to hook up directly to tv HDMI and one optical cable to receiver for sound. And you will only get 5.1 DD sound not Multichannel Dolby true HD, or DTS HD.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #6491 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 10:21 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

Either of the 3 modes will be fine for a full calibration (brightness, contrast, sharpness, grayscale, gamma, color gamut).
You can only get full calibration from cinema and custom, home theater will not allow pro settings in the menu to be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

The AmazonBasics cables work fine, too. This is the back of my 50ST60. Each Amazon cable is connected to a bulkier, ferrite cored Monoprice 28 AWG cable with a coupler, with a total length up to 16 feet. They work great. Note also I used the supplied cable tie that plugs into a hole in the back of the case. It provides strain relief and has stayed in place as I slide the TV around my Anthrocart desk a couple times a day to get it closer and in front of the monitor arm. (I stuck plastic Super Sliders on the bottom of the stand to make it easy to slide.) The cables don't put any extra strain on the TV ports when sliding, so this has all worked out very well.

I also am using the free cable tie supplied in the box for my ethernet, power and led strip to keep it all organized and to provide some strain relief.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

As long as you didnt have any previous problems with your receiver, Best buy is full of crap, they just want you to buy a new receiver. The only setback is that is not 3D compatible I believe. Are you hooking up your cable box to HDMI 1 on tv? And Bluray on HDMI 2 on tv? If you are try connecting everything to your receiver HDMI than 1 HDMI cable to your TV. Example : Bluray - HDMI - Bluray HDMI input on receiver, Cable box/satellite - HDMI - HDMI input 2 on receiver. Than HDMI out from receiver to HDMI 1 on tv. See how that works. The only setback is that you will not be able to watch 3D movies that way. Your receiver will not passthrough a 3D signal. If you want to watch 3D than you need to hook up directly to tv HDMI and one optical cable to receiver for sound. And you will only get 5.1 DD sound not Multichannel Dolby true HD, or DTS HD.
I agree with Latinoheat they just want you to upgrade. I would also turn the viera link off and then power cycle all the equipment for a test. I also have a HDMI 1.3 spec receiver and this is not an issue, however I did disable viera link because it caused an issue with the HDMI handshake when powering on devices. One thing I did notice is that even though my Receiver does not support 3D passthrough it will allow 3d games from my PS3 to passthrough to the TV. I have not tried with a 3d Bluray yet though.

| Panasonic TC-P60ST60 | Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH | Sony Playstation 3 | DirecTV HR22-100 |
post #6492 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansebiz View Post

Just curious here but have you ever heard of anyone using their extended warranty with Best Buy because of burn in?

I'm wondering what exactly Best Buy does in this situation? For example, do they refund your money, give you a different TV, exchange your TV, send it off for repair, etc.?

When I hear the term "it's covered" I have to question exactly what that means.

I just had Best Buy send Geek Squad out this past weekend to confirm I had burn-in on my VT25. It's 4:3 burn-in from watching way too many movies from pre 1950's (I also had an issue with floating blacks) but they confirmed it and 10 minutes later I received an email stating basically as much from the service and then I was allowed to take that in and trade the value of the TV towards a new purchase. They used to give you the value or whatever the comparable model was (lesser value if possible) but I talked them into giving me the full price of the TV I had (it was only $1,350 for a 50" VT25--I bought it on sale with a 3D Blu-ray player and they discounted the full value of the player from the TV and not the player).

Anyway, the computer by default now says "your TV is worth this much", which was only $1,000. I worked with them a bit and since I was ordering the 65" ST60 for delivery, they pushed it back up to my original purchase price by knocking the difference off the set (they also let me price match Panasonic.com/Amazon). Don't know if they'll be so friendly or lenient in the future. Anyway, it was a pretty painless experience and I was happy with it overall. I get a free "calibration" from them out of it as well.

End result? If you're worried about burn-in, it may be worth it. They advised me that the previous 30 days to add a warranty is now down to 15 days and that if I wanted to add it AFTER it was delievered, I'd need to bring the TV physically in to confirm it wasn't damaged. I'm most likely not going with a warranty through Best Buy this time and instead doing something with a 3rd party since I'm not concerned with burn-in for these newer models. Good luck!
post #6493 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmmakingFiasco View Post

I just had Best Buy send Geek Squad out this past weekend to confirm I had burn-in on my VT25. It's 4:3 burn-in from watching way too many movies from pre 1950's (I also had an issue with floating blacks) but they confirmed it and 10 minutes later I received an email stating basically as much from the service and then I was allowed to take that in and trade the value of the TV towards a new purchase. They used to give you the value or whatever the comparable model was (lesser value if possible) but I talked them into giving me the full price of the TV I had (it was only $1,350 for a 50" VT25--I bought it on sale with a 3D Blu-ray player and they discounted the full value of the player from the TV and not the player).

Anyway, the computer by default now says "your TV is worth this much", which was only $1,000. I worked with them a bit and since I was ordering the 65" ST60 for delivery, they pushed it back up to my original purchase price by knocking the difference off the set (they also let me price match Panasonic.com/Amazon). Don't know if they'll be so friendly or lenient in the future. Anyway, it was a pretty painless experience and I was happy with it overall. I get a free "calibration" from them out of it as well.

End result? If you're worried about burn-in, it may be worth it. They advised me that the previous 30 days to add a warranty is now down to 15 days and that if I wanted to add it AFTER it was delievered, I'd need to bring the TV physically in to confirm it wasn't damaged. I'm most likely not going with a warranty through Best Buy this time and instead doing something with a 3rd party since I'm not concerned with burn-in for these newer models. Good luck!

Glad you got a a positive resolution but that is not "burn in" by definition, its unever pixel wear and there is nothing you can do to avoid that it will happen to any plasma eventually because of the way the pixels are aged.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #6494 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Why did you get rid of the F8500?

Buzzing/Eye fatigue (I went in more detail half a dozen pages back or so) ;P

Car - Arc Audio Black 6.2; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; (2) Arc Audio Black 12 v2
post #6495 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

Sounds like your seeing phosphor trails.. some TV's its more noticeable than others. Both panasonics and both samsung plasmas I had displayed it.. LED's however do not. It's inherant to plasma technology, it depends on the content too. I never really notice it on blu rays, only on satellite content and lowbitrate streaming content.

Will it get better over time, or do people who notice it get used to it over time? I have no idea what I would get next if I returned this, and my window ends tomorrow.

post #6496 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Will it get better over time, or do people who notice it get used to it over time? I have no idea what I would get next if I returned this, and my window ends tomorrow.

Most seem to get used to it.. it's a minimal drawback compared to those of LCD/LED TV's so it doesnt bother me.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #6497 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmmakingFiasco View Post

I actually got my first "Burn in" scare with my ST60 due to 4:3 content.

My wifes been leaving NIck HD on for my kiddo during the day, and may hours of spongebob in 4:3 has caused some slight "burn in" in the 4:3 aspect ratio It was not really notcieable but oin a few light gradients I noticed that the edges where hte black bars were, were slightly darker/different color than the edges..

Were talking almost a month of 4:3 every day from nick HD.. 2 nights of wow pixel flipper at bedtime and its gone.

post #6498 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:

Some people are just more senstitive to it sort of like plasma flicker, I don't see either trails or flicker but you mave be one of the cursed ones that can see it

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #6499 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

I suggest you stop looking for it or it may drive you crazy. Phosphor trailing along with DSE (dirty screen effect) are 2 aspects that in my opinion are only really noticeable if you look for them. If you sit back and just enjoy the TV I am willing to bet it won't be an issue.
post #6500 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok so I just recently started streaming movies through Netflix with my PS3. I only have the PS3 hooked up to my wireless network (Fios) but i am actually surprised by the PQ. It is def not Bluray quality but generally speaking it is noticeably better than most HD cable content.

Will hardwiring up my PS3 with an LAN line provide even better PQ with my ST60 while streaming Netflix??
post #6501 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:

I actually got my first "Burn in" scare with my ST60 due to 4:3 content.

My wifes been leaving NIck HD on for my kiddo during the day, and may hours of spongebob in 4:3 has caused some slight "burn in" in the 4:3 aspect ratio It was not really notcieable but oin a few light gradients I noticed that the edges where hte black bars were, were slightly darker/different color than the edges..

Were talking almost a month of 4:3 every day from nick HD.. 2 nights of wow pixel flipper at bedtime and its gone.
What's gone, the IR or the wife? Haha
post #6502 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Ok so I just recently started streaming movies through Netflix with my PS3. I only have the PS3 hooked up to my wireless network (Fios) but i am actually surprised by the PQ. It is def not Bluray quality but generally speaking it is noticeably better than most HD cable content.

Will hardwiring up my PS3 with an LAN line provide even better PQ with my ST60 while streaming Netflix??

Depends on what wireless router you have. I can get about 8 MB/s out of mine which will handle anything Netflix can through at it.
post #6503 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ It is a new Motorola. Not sure what I am getting out of it. How do I test Mb/sec.???
post #6504 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If Netflix HD playback is smooth with no problems using Wifi than No, you won't see any difference in picture quality. Only difference you will notice is if you we're having stuttering or wifi drop signals.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #6505 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^ It is a new Motorola. Not sure what I am getting out of it. How do I test Mb/sec.???

Transfer a large file(1GB) between two devices & click this button...
post #6506 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:

Quote:

You may adapt over time, but the fact that you have the capability to see phosphor trails is a talent that you can't get rid of. You are among the select few with that talent. Your cousins are the small percentage who could see trailing rainbows when they watched DLP projection sets.

For some it's a deal killer, but for others it's something they forget about.
post #6507 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

What's gone, the IR or the wife? Haha

haha, the IR... The wifes to good in other areas to let her go wink.gif

post #6508 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

If Netflix HD playback is smooth with no problems using Wifi than No, you won't see any difference in picture quality. Only difference you will notice is if you we're having stuttering or wifi drop signals.

Ok thanks, its just weird how when I first start playing a movie it looks horrible and then slowly over the next 10 to 15 seconds it improves. No big deal though.
post #6509 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok thanks, its just weird how when I first start playing a movie it looks horrible and then slowly over the next 10 to 15 seconds it improves. No big deal though.

Buffering...It starts out at a small bit rate(less quality).
post #6510 of 12708 Old 06-24-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

eek.gif what movie was that?

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page