Forum Jump: 

post #6571 of 12715 Old 06-25-2013, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

That blinking line is being introduced by your source - the TV is just accurately displaying the signal it's receiving and it's not the fault of the TV.

What is your source?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6572 of 12715 Old 06-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post

I'm using D-nice's settings and very satisfied with them. If I got my ST60 professionally calibrated, and didn't like the results as much as before, would I be able to go back to D-nice's settings by re-inputting his settings in?

I'm asking because I'm a silver reward zone member and can get a free ISF calibration, and figure if I could go back to my original settings there would be nothing to lose.

edit: btw, I'm 100% keeping the ST60, and the Geek Squad protection. The protection only costs an extra $7.50 a month within my 24month no interest payment plan, so whatever, I'll buy one less 22oz beer per month and be even.

Best buys calibration unfortunately is not as in depth as having an indepent certified calibrator come to your house. Best buy only allots a certain ammount of time for their calibrators to work and from previous reports in various threads around here that it varies, some calibrators are quite good and others will leave you dissapointed.

If you could get it for free I'd say sure, whats the worse that will happen? You won't like it and you can just use Dnices settings.

ISF Certified does not mean much if they don't really care or have the time to really do what they were trained to do.

If you get a good calibrator chances are you will be much better off than using someone else calibration settings, but it won't be perfect, if you get someone who doesn't really care, well then your out 200-300 bucks (not 100% sure what they charge)

If you care as much as some of us do, and have the money just get someone like Chad or many other praised calibrators from this site to come and take care of you.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #6573 of 12715 Old 06-25-2013, 07:28 PM

Liked: 11
On Friday 21 June, I had the pleasure of having Chad B. over for a full calibration on my new 65ST60.

I used D-nice slides for the 1st 100 hours of use for break-in, then went another 228 hours of mixed content to get over the 300 hour mark before Chad arrived.

As soon as Chad arrived, you got the feeling that you have known him for a long time. Very professional and personable.

Right away he sets up his equipment all the while asking you questions on your viewing preferences and letting you know exactly what he is doing. Each step of the calibration had several steps to it, and Chad explained each and every one in detail, telling you exactly what each step was doing and what each was accomplishing. Very, very thorough at what he is doing.

Once the main calibration was done, he moved onto the 3D and then checked out the Blu-ray player. Again, he was very thorough in what he was doing.

After the calibration was completed he had me turn on my source (DirecTV). And wouldn't you know it, The Fifth element was on! Holy smokes was that picture superb!!
Colors are beautiful, breathtaking and pure. Whites are white, reds are red, Yellows are yellow, blacks are black and the greens oh my!! Skin tones are incredible, and the depth is almost 3D like. I am one very satisfied customer !! We also watched other programs, the NHL championship replay, WOW, some standard def stuff where some actually looked good. Prometheus came on later that night and again WOW!! I know I sound like a broken record, but he did a fantastic job. I watched Alice in Wonderland in 3D on Sunday and it was just awesome. I also watched some ESPN 3D content and was blown away as well.

I am defiantly going to recommend Chad to a few of my friends, and I plan on having him return for a full audio cal/set-up. Heck I might even have him calibrate my Pioneer 5080 that this new panel just replaced!!

And for all of you out there wondering if you should have a calibration done by one of these professionals, you are losing out if you do not . Incredible results for sure.

Chad if your reading this, Thanks a million!! Job superbly done, kudos to you!!

I will post Chad's results, but will withhold his custom settings out of respect.

Smartt Panasonic 65ST60 Custom.pdf 1358k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Smartt Panasonic 65ST60 Custom.pdf (1.33 MB, 197 views)
Chad B likes this.
post #6574 of 12715 Old 06-25-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Chad's been very busy (as usual).. wink.gif

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #6575 of 12715 Old 06-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsCuseFan View Post

On Friday 21 June, I had the pleasure of having Chad B. over for a full calibration on my new 65ST60.

I used D-nice slides for the 1st 100 hours of use for break-in, then went another 228 hours of mixed content to get over the 300 hour mark before Chad arrived.

As soon as Chad arrived, you got the feeling that you have known him for a long time. Very professional and personable.

Right away he sets up his equipment all the while asking you questions on your viewing preferences and letting you know exactly what he is doing. Each step of the calibration had several steps to it, and Chad explained each and every one in detail, telling you exactly what each step was doing and what each was accomplishing. Very, very thorough at what he is doing.

Once the main calibration was done, he moved onto the 3D and then checked out the Blu-ray player. Again, he was very thorough in what he was doing.

After the calibration was completed he had me turn on my source (DirecTV). And wouldn't you know it, The Fifth element was on! Holy smokes was that picture superb!!
Colors are beautiful, breathtaking and pure. Whites are white, reds are red, Yellows are yellow, blacks are black and the greens oh my!! Skin tones are incredible, and the depth is almost 3D like. I am one very satisfied customer !! We also watched other programs, the NHL championship replay, WOW, some standard def stuff where some actually looked good. Prometheus came on later that night and again WOW!! I know I sound like a broken record, but he did a fantastic job. I watched Alice in Wonderland in 3D on Sunday and it was just awesome. I also watched some ESPN 3D content and was blown away as well.

I am defiantly going to recommend Chad to a few of my friends, and I plan on having him return for a full audio cal/set-up. Heck I might even have him calibrate my Pioneer 5080 that this new panel just replaced!!

And for all of you out there wondering if you should have a calibration done by one of these professionals, you are losing out if you do not . Incredible results for sure.

Chad if your reading this, Thanks a million!! Job superbly done, kudos to you!!

I will post Chad's results, but will withhold his custom settings out of respect.

Smartt Panasonic 65ST60 Custom.pdf 1358k .pdf file
Interesting, looks like he elected to use bt.1886 as your gamma target. He must be giving the option to his clients.
eric3316 likes this.
post #6576 of 12715 Old 06-25-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Interesting, looks like he elected to use bt.1886 as your gamma target. He must be giving the option to his clients.
I keep seeing that mentioned. What exactly does that mean and what effect does it have on the picture?
post #6577 of 12715 Old 06-25-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

The screw size for all Panasonic Plasmas is M8 with a 1.25 thread pitch. The length of the screw wholly depends on the particular model and screen size and can vary widely.

Do not go by the screw info listed in the wall mount's instructions as they don't take into account which model of TV the mount will be used with. Some Panasonic models (like my PZ700U and G10) will accept 40mm long screws, while the newer thinner models (like my GT50) require much much shorter screws so they don't punch through the back of the plasma panel or hit up against important electronic components inside behind the threaded inserts.

The user manual for the 55" ST60 says to use M8 screws that are a minimum of 17mm and maximum of 23mm long so stay within that range, or maybe go a little longer to be safe and use a few washers if the screws end up being too long. Test-fit the bracket to the back of the TV and gently tighten the screws finger tight. You want to have at least 6 full turns of thread engagement but also make sure they're not so long that they bottom out, You might want to buy various lengths and some washers so there are no surprises when you mount the TV.

Here's a link to the ST60 owners manual - the screw length info is shown under Optional Accessories:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TCP50ST60.PDF

Thanks, Randy. I really appreciate the response. Looks like I'm good to go, with my 20mm M8-1.25s. Just another few days left...
post #6578 of 12715 Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyhippy View Post

this is for an australian 60st60.

the screws were M8 type, but the screws i got with my mount were either too long or too short so i bought some from the hardware store which was 30mm long, not sure what that is in inches though and they were perfect after putting on washers. without washers, 30mm would be very slightly too long.

I used the following mount:
http://www.selby.com.au/brackets-and-wall-mounts/lcd-led-plasma-mounts/32-to-100-inch/wall-mounts/40-65in-lcd-plasma-bracket-plb131l.html

as i originally wanted a smaller tv, around 50 inches i bought this, but this was actually perfect for a 60st60 especially for that price haha

The threads on this plasma are the same as my 9 y.o. Panny were. Problem was - they were too long. About 1.5 in. (35 to 40mm). The old Panny was thicker. This model wouldn't take much over an inch (25mm). The local hdware store said these were metric and he had several lengths in stock. The ones I got were right at an inch - give or take a mm. worked fine.
My right angle HDMI connectors arrived. Now the rather stiff HDMI cables come straight in to the back of the panel.
post #6579 of 12715 Old 06-25-2013, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I keep seeing that mentioned. What exactly does that mean and what effect does it have on the picture?
Usually you would calibrate displays aiming for a flat display gamma (ie 2.1, 2.2, 2.25, 2.35, 2.4 etc.), but this can lead to crushed black details or poor shadow detail if the display has a poor MLL (or black level). BT.1886 is a relatively new gamma function that tries to emulate CRTs. It uses your black and white level measurements for your display to create the gamma curve. There wasn't really a standard for gamma before, but BT.1886 might be THE standard everyone uses eventually. Pretty much all calibration software now has BT.1886 as an option.

The ST60 has very good black levels so it probably wouldn't make a huge difference either way. If you look at your gamma curve / gamma log in the calibration report, it's pretty flat anyway. If Chad used the traditional method, your gamma would've been pretty much perfectly flat, but you can see how the reference gamma curve (the yellow line) is slightly curved. So your gamma at the low-end is a bit lower, which will give you slightly better shadow detail than if it were flat at ~2.2.

Note that in order to effectively calibrate your display using the BT.1886 gamma method, it must have a 10pt+ white balance / gamma control (the ST60 does...just an fyi because not all sets do).
JetsCuseFan and eric3316 like this.
post #6580 of 12715 Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

If you have further comments to make about your audio or video calibration, it would be great if you could use the edit command to add them to your original post. Enjoy. smile.gif
post #6581 of 12715 Old 06-25-2013, 10:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Chad's been very busy (as usual).. wink.gif
I'm breathing heavy just trying to keep up with him. eek.gif
post #6582 of 12715 Old 06-26-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

Usually you would calibrate displays aiming for a flat display gamma (ie 2.1, 2.2, 2.25, 2.35, 2.4 etc.), but this can lead to crushed black details or poor shadow detail if the display has a poor MLL (or black level). BT.1886 is a relatively new gamma function that tries to emulate CRTs. It uses your black and white level measurements for your display to create the gamma curve. There wasn't really a standard for gamma before, but BT.1886 might be THE standard everyone uses eventually. Pretty much all calibration software now has BT.1886 as an option.

The ST60 has very good black levels so it probably wouldn't make a huge difference either way. If you look at your gamma curve / gamma log in the calibration report, it's pretty flat anyway. If Chad used the traditional method, your gamma would've been pretty much perfectly flat, but you can see how the reference gamma curve (the yellow line) is slightly curved. So your gamma at the low-end is a bit lower, which will give you slightly better shadow detail than if it were flat at ~2.2.

Note that in order to effectively calibrate your display using the BT.1886 gamma method, it must have a 10pt+ white balance / gamma control (the ST60 does...just an fyi because not all sets do).

Interesting stuff, thx for sharing.

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #6583 of 12715 Old 06-26-2013, 04:30 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

On my latest calibration I used 4% APL patterns with a target gamma bt. 1886. By far my best result. This is after several recal's, using multiple combination window pattern/gamma targets

consider the source
post #6584 of 12715 Old 06-26-2013, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I believe using that target allows him to aim for the higher fL. As so it only looks like he's using that target on sets that have a higher light output after Calibration...

One of the first things he asked me after we got antiquated and he took out his equipment was how I felt about the brightness of the set as I have been watching it for overall viewing, and what is my primary lighting when im doing any sort of critical viewing. He opted to just bump up the brightness just a little bit from where it was just to be on the safe side if I ever deivde to leave one of the dimmer lights on.

While I let him do his magic and put my trust completed into his abilities, I did in fact ask him about "custom" calibrations for those who may not like D65.. some people do like a warmer or cooler picture and he will accommodate for those that wish to do so. Peoples perception of colors varies so it makes sense to me.

I however enjoy D65 very much so.. and if thats how I was intended to see a movie well damnit thats how I wanna see it. wink.gif
JetsCuseFan likes this.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #6585 of 12715 Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:

Always a pleasure to meet people like this. Wish everyone could be this way, why wouldn't you anyway is the big question.
post #6586 of 12715 Old 06-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Always a pleasure to meet people like this. Wish everyone could be this way, why wouldn't you anyway is the big question.

Very true, nothing makes me angrier than someone with arrogance. It does not matter how good they are, if I feel like I'm being talked down to its pretty much a no go from that point on. I have absoloutely no problem with someone not knowing my own level of expertise in something and explaining it to me, its when they do it in a fashion that belittles me that it becomes a problem.

Can't say enough about Chads attitude during the 5 hours he was in my home, very relaxed, never seemed to get aggravated at the questions I was asking, and I know how it feels to repeat the same thing over and over time and again to someone who does not know everything about what it is your doing, but even if its repetitive it if you have a respect for that and love what you do its never a problem. How do we all learn? By watching and asking questions.

post #6587 of 12715 Old 06-26-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibumike View Post

Can someone let me know how to make it so when I turn this beast on it goes directly to full screen tv, instead of viera home?

I would like the answer to this as well. I thought I had seen an answer to this a week or two ago - before our panel arrived last Friday. I can't find the answer now. Too active a site!!
post #6588 of 12715 Old 06-26-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

I would like the answer to this as well. I thought I had seen an answer to this a week or two ago - before our panel arrived last Friday. I can't find the answer now. Too active a site!!

Here you go.
post #6589 of 12715 Old 06-26-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

It's in the menu options for sure, not sure where not home right now.. but it's there, the menu is not that big, I'm sure you can find it by playing around in it smile.gif

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #6590 of 12715 Old 06-26-2013, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobyh15 View Post

Here you go.

THANK YOU!
post #6591 of 12715 Old 06-26-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobyh15 View Post

Here you go.

I am dense. Here is what that link shows:
Home > Home > [cycle to Full Screen] > OK > Blue button > Power On > Always This Home Screen

Nothing happens when I press the "blue" button.

Thanks. Must be something simple I'm missing. When my panel comes on it shows the screen that's in the demo. The "program" is already highlighted so all I have to do to go full screen is press the "ok" button.

Thanks for your help.
post #6592 of 12715 Old 06-26-2013, 11:06 PM

Liked: 10
Hi!

I was exciting as I received my 55ST60 today. I'm pretty sure the screen was perfect when I started running the slides but after an hour, I got a dead red pixel! frown.gif And it's right in center of the screen! frown.gif

I don't know what I will do...
post #6593 of 12715 Old 06-26-2013, 11:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredou View Post

Hi!

I was exciting as I received my 55ST60 today. I'm pretty sure the screen was perfect when I started running the slides but after an hour, I got a dead red pixel! frown.gif And it's right in center of the screen! frown.gif

How close to the screen do you have to be to see the bad pixel?

It's possible the bad red sub pixel will start working again. Pixar movies with aspect ratios of 1.78:1 have been used to free stuck pixels. The Idea is to feed the panel a lot of bright primary colors. It's worth a try.

I had a pixel stuck on red on delivery. It was working the next day after I ran the set over night. Five and a half years later it's still working. smile.gif
post #6594 of 12715 Old 06-27-2013, 02:41 AM

This has probably been mentioned a thousand times before but I cannot seem to find them. Does anyone have a link to D-Nice's ST60 slides with instructions?

And is it necessary to use them if I have a EU model?
post #6595 of 12715 Old 06-27-2013, 03:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack25 View Post

This has probably been mentioned a thousand times before but I cannot seem to find them. Does anyone have a link to D-Nice's ST60 slides with instructions?

And is it necessary to use them if I have a EU model?
The slides are not necessary for any model. They are meant to be prep slides for his settings. Since you have an EU model his settings will be much less useful because they are meant for NA models.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #6596 of 12715 Old 06-27-2013, 03:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread

This is the location of the slides.

post #6597 of 12715 Old 06-27-2013, 03:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread/180

Post #183 on this page is a set of step by step instructions I put together to make it easier.

post #6598 of 12715 Old 06-27-2013, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread/180

Post #183 on this page is a set of step by step instructions I put together to make it easier.

Thanks for this, but as you say, the slides may not be useful as I will be getting the EU model?
post #6599 of 12715 Old 06-27-2013, 03:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for this, but as you say, the slides may not be useful as I will be getting the EU model?
Just wanted you to know where theyre at so you can make up your own mind.

post #6600 of 12715 Old 06-27-2013, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredou View Post

Hi!

Um, exchange it? Why would you even think about keeping it?

Quote:

It will be useful if you just want to break in your panel and get a few hundred hours on it without having worry about static images on it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page