AVS Forum banner
1M views 15K replies 1K participants last post by  John Hooper 
#1 ·
With the 2013 CES announcement of the new plasmas, i would start a thread to address questions regarding the likely popular st60 series plasma sets available in 50, 55, 60, and 65 inch sizes.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P50st60

#6,154 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Collins  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/6120#post_23419001

No one answered (that I saw) an earlier question about using LocTite on the threads of the screws in the back of the TV for a wall mount, so I wanted to ask it again in hopes that someone might answer the question.

I am planning on using LocTite blue (243) when I mount my set. The blue (243) Loctite allows for disassembly but prevents vibrations from allowing the screws to work loose. Is there any risk that it could damage the set/screen if/when I needed to remove the screws? My plan was to apply it to the screws themselves, let it dry (setup) before installing them into the back of the set. This way, I get the benefit of having the screws less prone to vibration, but also not "glued" into the set either. (My HP laptop screws were done the same way by HP, and none of them ever came out except when I wanted them to.) Thoughts, good idea or not?

Having installed many many various flat panel TVs on articulated and fixed wall mounts over the years, there is absolutely no reason to use Loc-Tite on the threads. I always just snug the screws down firmly (i never ever crank them tight) and there's no way they'll "vibrate" loose. My house gets a lot of constant subsonic vibration from the nearby Chevron refinery (we can literally see my man-room's picture window glass vibrating and other windows in the house) as well as dozens of tiny tremors every day (i'm in earthquake country) and none of our TVs have ever come loose.

If Loc-Tite were necessary or even just recommended, i would have seen some mention of it in the various mount documentation and specifications and installation guides i've read over the years but there hasn't been a single mention of it. I have used Loc-Tite when necessary on my race cars and street cars, but i have never used it on my high-performance aerobatic RC airplanes (engine mounts, servos, fuel tanks, retractable landing gear, wheels, removable wings, movable flight surfaces, etc) and despite severe vibration through the airframe no screws have ever come loose.

#6,155 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/6150#post_23420879

So I demo'd my system for a friend today (wanted to hear the surround sound), then immediately switched to the cable box (still going through the receiver at this point), and all of a sudden the ST60 said it had no signal (to the cable box), even though the cable box was never turned on or even changed channels on. I turned the cable box off and then back on and that fixed it.

I don't suppose that helps the troubleshooting process any?

If you don't eliminate the receiver or try a different HDMI input on the TV as previously suggested, then you've done nothing to actually isolate the cause of the problem and thus are no closer to an answer.

#6,156 ·
This is likely a really silly question and a very big non issue but I was wondering if this is normal...This is my first plasma so I just wanted to be sure if this was normal to see, especially on black content:

I understand that it's the RGB pattern but I thought you needed to use like a macro lens to see it. I never noticed it on my 42 inch led. Of course, that was 18 inches smaller and that's probably why!

#6,157 ·
^^ What your seeing is completely normal, its the phosphurs lighting up..

Being able to see them in the black area means that the signal is not showing absoloute black.. or that your brightness or some gamma settings are set incorrectly. The only time you wont see phosphurs dancing when your up close to the screen is on solid colors or a completely black screen.

#6,158 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/6150#post_23420911

Thanks guys

I watched a few minutes of Uverse last night to quickly see how the ST60 compared to the F8500 in the PQ department. I was expecting to take a hit, but was pleased to find that everything still looked really good
. The main thing for me is buzzing. The F8500 buzzed above listening levels from my viewing seat and it was really a deal breaker for me, and I'm glad to report that the buzzing from the ST60 is nonexistent compared to the F8500. If there is a buzz from my viewing position, the buzz from my refrigerator is completely overpowering it.

I will mimic some members here that think there is some kind of motion processing going on even when the motion smoother was turned off. I kept checking to make sure it was off. I don't think this will bother me though.

And the best part (IMO) is no pesky brightness pops or floating blacks!

#6,160 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah bjj  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/6150#post_23424151

What is the recommended wall mount from monoprice for the 65"?

I see model 8588 being used, but mostly by 60" owners. Trying to figure out the best wall mount to order

thanks

I didn't like that mount since it doesn't provide the locking screws (per the reviews) on the TV brackets to lock it to the TV plate piece. As a result of this, I went with the Kanto FMX-2 from Costco.
http://www.costco.com/Kanto-37%22---80%22-Full-Motion-Articulating-Mount-KMFMX2.product.100007845.html

#6,161 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah bjj  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/6150#post_23424151

What is the recommended wall mount from monoprice for the 65"?

I see model 8588 being used, but mostly by 60" owners. Trying to figure out the best wall mount to order

thanks

Since my set is in a smaller room, the tilt and swivel function is not needed. I bought the 4114 low profile mount for my 65" from Monoprice. Just installed it last weekend, it's looking and working great so far. I suggest you talk to someone from their live chat. They were very helpful and friendly when I needed help as to what to order as well.

#6,162 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/6150#post_23423200

This is likely a really silly question and a very big non issue but I was wondering if this is normal...This is my first plasma so I just wanted to be sure if this was normal to see, especially on black content:

I understand that it's the RGB pattern but I thought you needed to use like a macro lens to see it. I never noticed it on my 42 inch led. Of course, that was 18 inches smaller and that's probably why!

Looks like Dithering,This is normal in plasmas.

#6,163 ·
Anyone know why BB still doesn't have the 65" ST60?...or know when they might expect them?

Also, anyone find it crazy that the 60" ST60 is $1500, but yet the 65" ST60 is $2400.

#6,165 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Collins  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/6150#post_23424272

I didn't like that mount since it doesn't provide the locking screws (per the reviews) on the TV brackets to lock it to the TV plate piece. As a result of this, I went with the Kanto FMX-2 from Costco.
http://www.costco.com/Kanto-37%22---80%22-Full-Motion-Articulating-Mount-KMFMX2.product.100007845.html

thanks for the link, will def check it out!! How hard was install? I havent looked to see where the studs are in my wall and if they line up with where I want the tv to be. When you dont have the tv extended and is close to the wall, how much space is there between the wall and the tv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bento  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/6150#post_23424282

Since my set is in a smaller room, the tilt and swivel function is not needed. I bought the 4114 low profile mount for my 65" from Monoprice. Just installed it last weekend, it's looking and working great so far. I suggest you talk to someone from their live chat. They were very helpful and friendly when I needed help as to what to order as well.

Thanks! I am still trying to decide between the flat mounts and one that extends out and turns. The weight of the tv and leverage when extended kind of scares me with an expensive set. Also, the 4144 is showing for up to 63" tvs. Should I ignore that ?

#6,166 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/6150#post_23423200

If brightness, gamma, & contrast are set correctly, you won't see this on a black as you have posted.

#6,167 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/6150#post_23424513

Anyone know why BB still doesn't have the 65" ST60?...or know when they might expect them?

Also, anyone find it crazy that the 60" ST60 is $1500, but yet the 65" ST60 is $2400.

At this point they should have those available in stores, but Probably they will only make special orders.

#6,168 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah bjj  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/6150#post_23424590

Also, the 4144 is showing for up to 63" tvs. Should I ignore that ?

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/6180#post_23424639

At this point they should have those available in stores, but Probably they will only make special orders.

True. I'll give them a call and see what the deal is.

I'm assuming $2,399 is the lowest it's been. No super bowl anytime soon...any other sales I should possibly wait for people??

#6,170 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/6180#post_23424791

Black Friday if you can wait that long.

That's in such a long time, summer just started !

But yeah I can just imagine the prices at that point..

#6,171 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/6180#post_23424784

I'm assuming $2,399 is the lowest it's been. No super bowl anytime soon...any other sales I should possibly wait for people??

Are you talking about the 65"? If you have a BB have them pricematch EastcoastTVs, that's what I did on my ex- F8500 and my current ST60 (both of which weren't in stock in store- they had to be ordered from their warehouse)

P.S. Haven't really been home much lately, but I've been running slides since 12:30am on 6/12... so about 41 hours so far.

#6,172 ·
I have pretty much decided that the ST60 will be my next hdtv but I have a concern about 3D performance after reading a few professional reviews on the web. They all said the 2D picture quality was excellent but the 3D performance was another matter. 3D is certainly not the most important factor for in my decision to buy this set but I at least want it to watchable in 3D and not frustrating. Anyone care to give your thoughts on how your ST60 performs with 3D? Thanks.

#6,173 ·
^^^^^ In my opinion it makes more sense watching 3D on a projector than watching 3D on a TV ,so to me its not a problem at all, you will still missing the great experience.

Reactions: mdanderson
#6,174 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/6000#post_23411759

I agree with you 100% but most people buying an HDTV today do not know that. Also, when going into a store to purchase a TV they have a choice of around 30 different LED TV's or like 4-5 plasma's that the sales guy never shows.

I always show plasmas (as do my coworkers) and always educate them properly every time. I get a lot of "I want an LED 50 inch Samsung only" to which I always challenge them ad to why they "hate" plasma. Long story short they end up walking away wanting to research plasma further and nearly always end up coming back in for the ST60.

We do pitch Plasmas... We own them ourselves...