Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by $$Buck-Naked$$ View Post

Every TV comes out of the box with completely different color temperature, grayscale, gamma and cms results so copying settings will gain you nothing but even worse results. I always thought it wouldn't matter that much but I recently bought some calibration equipment. I thought I was appalled by the out of the box settings untill I tried using copied settings from various sources. All of them worsened the already terrible results. After a real calibration of my ST50 (TX-42ST50E) the difference was night and day compared to both out of the box settings and multiple copied settings.

If you want a calibrated TV you better hire an ISF calibrator (like D-Nice) or calibrate yourself otherwise you'll be better off using out of the box settings like THX, True Cinema or Movie Mode.

This is very true. I use D-Nice's settings as the ballpark where my own calibration should come in. If I am a few points off on any of the settings, that can be attributed to my personal preference and normal process variation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 08:04 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatal One View Post

This is very true. I use D-Nice's settings as the ballpark where my own calibration should come in. If I am a few points off on any of the settings, that can be attributed to my personal preference and normal process variation.

Are you using any calibration equipment and software?
post #723 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random205 View Post

Really tempted to pull the trigger on a P50ST60 @ Best Buy, they are on sale now, buying from Panasonic via EPP will only save me $20.... but I could have the TV right away from BB biggrin.gif What to do, what to do.

That is what I did. I have access to Panasonic EPP and while it is awesome on large panels, it is mediocre to terrible on smaller panels. You will still end up paying tax whether you buy from Panny or Best Buy... ~$22 for instant gratification on such a purchase is a no-brainer in my book. Just be careful, when I picked mine up from BB they had the P50ST60 as the model number in the description but P50ST50 as the stock item... perhaps they have corrected that in the past week.
post #724 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 08:07 AM

Liked: 12
D-Nice
Please evaluate the peak brightness of all sets in torch mode.
post #725 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

It is possible, however unlikely, that you have a bad HDMI cable.
I have had bad HDMI cables, not many , but a few frown.gif
post #726 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 08:15 AM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard3 View Post

D-Nice
Please evaluate the peak brightness of all sets in torch mode.

Everyone here needs to stop with the annoying requests. If he feels he needs to cover that aspect he will. He doesn't owe you anything.
post #727 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $$Buck-Naked$$ View Post

Are you using any calibration equipment and software?

At the moment, the only "software" I have for calibration would be the Disney Wow disk for test patterns and images to recalibrate my old 750U.

I have not decided how far I want to go back down this rabbit hole. In my 2007 theater upgrade cycle, I upgraded everything. Whereas here I am just purchasing new panels. Since I will have three plasmas in my house I may be able to justify purchasing a meter to keep them looking their best as they age. I will not make any major decisions concerning new equipment until the ZT series come out. I bought the ST60 on a whim because the early feedback looked good and I was tired of not being able to use my theater room since moving the 750U!
post #728 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatal One View Post

That is what I did. I have access to Panasonic EPP and while it is awesome on large panels, it is mediocre to terrible on smaller panels. You will still end up paying tax whether you buy from Panny or Best Buy... ~$22 for instant gratification on such a purchase is a no-brainer in my book. Just be careful, when I picked mine up from BB they had the P50ST60 as the model number in the description but P50ST50 as the stock item... perhaps they have corrected that in the past week.

Thanks for the heads up. I figured with reward zone points, it ends up being the same anyways and like you said, instant gratification. I'll use the certificates I earn on RZ towards Samsung 3D glasses or some Blu-Rays. :-)
post #729 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump909 View Post

Everyone here needs to stop with the annoying requests. If he feels he needs to cover that aspect he will. He doesn't owe you anything.
Are you his spokesperson?
post #730 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump909 View Post

Agreed- you could be a little nicer about it though.

It doesn't look like he responds to the myriad of requests, understandably. It will all come out in his I would bet very thorough review/settings as always.

Patience.
post #731 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 09:46 AM

Liked: 11
I've read some posts with some people who were disappointed with how some cable content was being presented on the the ST50. This could be better with the ST60, but I was just wondering if anyone had an Oppo BDP-103/105 or other Blu-ray player with an HDMI input and was running their cable box through the player to use it's superior video processing to upscale 1080i/720p content. I've read some info from various sources that seemed to think this helped out with PQ of cable/satellite content. Just wondering if that would be of benefit in this scenario. I'm not a expert, just wondering if anyone here had any experience with that sort of setup.
post #732 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoor View Post

Wow! If this hold true across the VT 50/60, Panasonic must have been busy tweaking these sets a lot more then a insider thread had indicated.by mostly the same panels as 2012 with some changes. And have to go look at the specs, but I don't think the ST has the Hexa processing engine either.

You are correct. It does not have the new processing engine. According to David MacKenzie's review of the ST60b, it uses the V-Real 3D Pro system on 3rd party silicon from Mediatek.
post #733 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 10:03 AM

Picked up 50" ST60 at BB for $999. Have a thin vertical line just off center, top to bottom. Also seems to 'blur' occasionally.
post #734 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Take it back, and exchange it

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #735 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobyh15 View Post

I've read some posts with some people who were disappointed with how some cable content was being presented on the the ST50. This could be better with the ST60, but I was just wondering if anyone had an Oppo BDP-103/105 or other Blu-ray player with an HDMI input and was running their cable box through the player to use it's superior video processing to upscale 1080i/720p content. I've read some info from various sources that seemed to think this helped out with PQ of cable/satellite content. Just wondering if that would be of benefit in this scenario. I'm not a expert, just wondering if anyone here had any experience with that sort of setup.

I don’t have that particular BDP but I know some have done what you suggested with success. It’s worth trying if you have a BDP that upscales well. I use fios with my ST50 and some HD channels are definitely softer than others. I am new to fios and just thought it was the source and not my set. Channels like, HBO, Showtime and Starz are so clear and judder free I find myself checking to see if the motion smoother is on. Also CNN is much sharper and vibrant than say FNC and BBC.
post #736 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoor View Post

You know, the term "beats", "best" or the every popular " it just blows away ......." is just near meaningless.

I assume you mean black levels. But even Panasonic only really says beyond "the reference" without any firm context just what might that reference might be- model or much less a defined category or performance. Marketing folks just love it when you fill in the blanks for them.

The same type of marketing fonts of some discontinued model's marketing material does not make it a Kuro 9.5G reference- at least nothing that would stand up in any court text or wager. Bet if you call Panasonic they will not give the brand/model and the categories they are beyond. Heck, as far as we know, it could just be 5 model years beyond the 9.5G Kuro. That is a sure bet. LOL

Ever hear the old TV ad- "No one doesn't like Sara Lee?" Now that is one marketing claim you can bet on and even get an expert witness in court to backup your claim. Or how about this: a Yugo just "blows away" a Mercedes. Oh, did I say only in initial price/gas mileage and cheap tires.

was just an estimation. And i meant blacklevels. At least here in europe where the st60 is already at 0015 already wink.gif
post #737 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Post a picture which shows the vertical line please. What color is it? It might be a dead row of pixels.
post #738 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

I don’t have that particular BDP but I know some have done what you suggested with success. It’s worth trying if you have a BDP that upscales well. I use fios with my ST50 and some HD channels are definitely softer than others. I am new to fios and just thought it was the source and not my set. Channels like, HBO, Showtime and Starz are so clear and judder free I find myself checking to see if the motion smoother is on. Also CNN is much sharper and vibrant than say FNC and BBC.

Everything varies so much, it's hard to finger point. I was using my Onkyo 3009 to upscale & process up until last night. I noticed more noise & contouring than what I care to see when viewing certain material over Direct TV. The Walking Dead was very hard for me to watch. The digital noise, sparkling sky, contour banding from fade to black & skyline fade shots was just aggravating. Coming from a Sammy 58B860 that wasn't noisy to a 60gt50 I was a little let down. However running it through the HQV on the Onkyo didn't seem to clean it up. So I decide to just turn the extra processing off all together on the Onkyo. I'm hoping these issues aren't as prevalent on the new sets, I'm still with in my window of return.

*Revised TV Model
post #739 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Post a picture which shows the vertical line please. What color is it? It might be a dead row of pixels.

Yes, please post a picture if possible. Is it a really noticeable line, or faintly visible bands like many of the 2012 models had as depicted here?: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/20130107001304.jpg/
post #740 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 10:35 AM

Liked: 64
@TouchDown100, I would return this panel.
post #741 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchDown100 View Post

that is sexy. ha! i'd take it back and exchange it for sure.

$999 is a stellar price though. e.g. amazon has the 50ST50 for $1239.
post #742 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard3 View Post

Are you his spokesperson?

No, but do you realize how pathetic single-sentence demands sound? You could a formulated a question with a reason, but you went with the bratty child approach. This thread has been flooded with requests towards calibrators and owners, and they always seem to be from people who have no idea what they're talking about or looking for. Why would you tell a calibrator (whose sole job is to adjust the picture to industry standards) to do an evaluation based solely around your outrageous torch mode needs? He's willing to provide us the details of his evaluation free of charge, but clearly you deserve more.
post #743 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

The station to station variances have much more to do with the signal compression and source artifacts than the playback ability of the display.
post #744 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Everything varies so much, it's hard to finger point. I was using my Onkyo 3009 to upscale & process up until last night. I noticed more noise & contouring than what I care to see when viewing certain material over Direct TV. The Walking Dead was very hard for me to watch. The digital noise, sparkling sky, contour banding from fade to black & skyline fade shots was just aggravating. Coming from a Sammy 58B860 that wasn't noisy to a 60gt60 I was a little let down. However running it through the HQV on the Onkyo didn't seem to clean it up. So I decide to just turn the extra processing off all together on the Onkyo. I'm hoping these issues aren't as prevalent on the new sets, I'm still with in my window of return.

Cadett, you have a 60gt60?
post #745 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchDown100 View Post

Picked up 50" ST60 at BB for $999. Have a thin vertical line just off center, top to bottom. Also seems to 'blur' occasionally.

Based on your pic, definitely take it back and exchange it. I would not consider that to be normal. Looks like a column of red phosphors/pixels is not working. That is one reason I like to use break in slides, having the entire screen one color at a time makes it very easy to spot defects in the panel. However, your example does not take a serious AV enthusiast to see something is definitely wrong. tongue.gif
post #746 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:

@TouchDown100, I would return this panel.

Return is in the works. Supply is limited so have to wait.
post #747 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos1121 View Post

Agreed- you could be a little nicer about it though.

It doesn't look like he responds to the myriad of requests, understandably. It will all come out in his I would bet very thorough review/settings as always.

Patience.

Normally I would, but the requests here are clearly coming from the uninformed and spoiled. They don't even bother to ask nicely. The just demand as if they're owed a response.

Ex. "I need someone to take a picture of the 55st60 playing blu-rays".

A request like this should set off two alarms. First, they clearly don't understand the concept of manners. Second, they aren't smart enough to realize a camera will never give you an accurate reproduction of being in the room, so why bother? They could actually scan the pages and find what they need, answer and concept wise, but they're too lazy.
Pappas3278 likes this.
post #748 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 10:47 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Everything varies so much, it's hard to finger point. I was using my Onkyo 3009 to upscale & process up until last night. I noticed more noise & contouring than what I care to see when viewing certain material over Direct TV. The Walking Dead was very hard for me to watch. The digital noise, sparkling sky, contour banding from fade to black & skyline fade shots was just aggravating. Coming from a Sammy 58B860 that wasn't noisy to a 60gt60 I was a little let down. However running it through the HQV on the Onkyo didn't seem to clean it up. So I decide to just turn the extra processing off all together on the Onkyo. I'm hoping these issues aren't as prevalent on the new sets, I'm still with in my window of return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Todd View Post

Yes, please post a picture if possible. Is it a really noticeable line, or faintly visible bands like many of the 2012 models had as depicted here?: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/20130107001304.jpg/

Thanks for the replies. It seems like it would be worth a try if you had a player with good video upscaling. I agree that each channel seems to differ in its characteristics. Very hard to find the perfect situation.
post #749 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by par4 View Post

Cadett, you have a 60gt60?

Sorry, no I don't. I typed the wrong model number. I have revised the psot to show the correct model: 60GT50
post #750 of 13032 Old 04-02-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

It is possible, however unlikely, that you have a bad HDMI cable. A sparkling effect is exactly one of the kinds of behavior that a bad cable can exhibit. Its worth swapping out another one if you have one.

Thanks Bond, I will try that.

I did notice a strange effect while watching Game of Thrones Season 3 Episode one. In the scene were Bronn is in the brothel, a reddish and green light is cast on the "employee". On my screen it doesn't look as if the TV is able to resolve the gradient. It looks blocky and not blended. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Obviously I can't post a picture.

Is this considered false contouring or posterization?

I'm using the custom setting for now--Comcast box with HDMI.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page