Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 250 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7471 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Senior Member
 
garnettrules21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

There is always a lot of talk about IR, but I do not believe anyone has said they actually have burn in on there plasma display. Not that I can recall.
Cadett is pretty certain the ESPN logo has burned into his set, not just image retention.
garnettrules21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7472 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Senior Member
 
jp0213x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Finally Best Buy has the ST60 55 inch showing up in there system.
jp0213x is offline  
post #7473 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
tuffluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaJae View Post

Great. Cant wait to wait to find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

There is always a lot of talk about IR, but I do not believe anyone has said they actually have burn in on there plasma display. Not that I can recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post

Cadett is pretty certain the ESPN logo has burned into his set, not just image retention.

Here is a question...how long would the most stubborn IR take to go away?

I watched one MLB game on Tuesday, and the logo (which was in white color which I think is weird) is still severely embedded on my screen. So, nearly a week of watching nothing but other shows and burn-in programs on youtube and it hasn't even remotely started to go away. That was after 3 hours of watching the game, and not only that, but there were commercials in between each inning that did not have the logo. I would have NEVER bought this set had I know this was likely, even if it turns out to be IR and not burn in...because that means I have to be careful watching baseball forever from now on.
tuffluck is offline  
post #7474 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
cadett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post

Cadett is pretty certain the ESPN logo has burned into his set, not just image retention.
It's burned in. I've had the set for a couple of months & it's still there. That's pretty definitive burnin.
cadett is offline  
post #7475 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
cadett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post



Here is a question...how long would the most stubborn IR take to go away?

I watched one MLB game on Tuesday, and the logo (which was in white color which I think is weird) is still severely embedded on my screen. So, nearly a week of watching nothing but other shows and burn-in programs on youtube and it hasn't even remotely started to go away. That was after 3 hours of watching the game, and not only that, but there were commercials in between each inning that did not have the logo. I would have NEVER bought this set had I know this was likely, even if it turns out to be IR and not burn in...because that means I have to be careful watching baseball forever from now on.
The thing I noticed about the ESPN logo was that the level of contrast that it was producing was significantly higher than anything else that was being displayed. My contrast at the time was around 85 if I remember correctly. Which, isn't significantly high.
cadett is offline  
post #7476 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
cadett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

There is always a lot of talk about IR, but I do not believe anyone has said they actually have burn in on there plasma display. Not that I can recall.
Unfortunately I do.
cadett is offline  
post #7477 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,694
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Unfortunately I do.

Man you have ****** luck with all your panels with IR, I feel for you.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Latinoheat is offline  
post #7478 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
cadett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Man you have ****** luck with all your panels with IR, I feel for you.
This is actually the first plasma I've experienced burn-in on. Up until this point, I thought it was myth... cool.gif
cadett is offline  
post #7479 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,694
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Sorry I thought you had a GT50 before too, couldn't quite remember.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Latinoheat is offline  
post #7480 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
tuffluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So could real stubborn IR take weeks to disappear? A week? 2 days? Just curious if mine is yet to be classified as burn-in.
tuffluck is offline  
post #7481 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,782
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

So could real stubborn IR take weeks to disappear? A week? 2 days? Just curious if mine is yet to be classified as burn-in.
Wouldn't that depend on how you use the display in that time. wink.gif

If you ran a Pixar movie 24/7 for several weeks, and an image was still there, I would be pretty sure that was burn-in. It's the number of hours of running corrective source material that count.
htwaits is offline  
post #7482 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 03:58 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post

Finally Best Buy has the ST60 55 inch showing up in there system.

Actually they've been showing it on their site for about a month now, and it still shows "Coming Soon" and they don't have any inventory.

And that $1,700 price is way too high - Panasonic sells it direct for about $1350 (Amazon too).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #7483 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
fahrenheit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

It's burned in. I've had the set for a couple of months & it's still there. That's pretty definitive burnin.

Nonsense. I observed the complete removal of stubborn IR from my GT50 over a four month period.
Am I happy that it took that long? No. Do I think that it is acceptable? No. Do I think that its permanent and can be considered burn-in......?

No.
fahrenheit is offline  
post #7484 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Senior Member
 
jp0213x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Actually they've been showing it on their site for about a month now, and it still shows "Coming Soon" and they don't have any inventory.

And that $1,700 price is way too high - Panasonic sells it direct for about $1350 (Amazon too).

Yes I know but I think that price will change, especially when it comes to price matching.
jp0213x is offline  
post #7485 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
sawfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 778
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

It's burned in. I've had the set for a couple of months & it's still there. That's pretty definitive burnin.

Nonsense. I observed the complete removal of stubborn IR from my GT50 over a four month period.
Am I happy that it took that long? No. Do I think that it is acceptable? No. Do I think that its permanent and can be considered burn-in......?

No.

Do I think the distinction matters much, given that it's likely to happen again? No.
sawfish is online now  
post #7486 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Senior Member
 
gbmannc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had my st60 for 2+ months now. I'm a heavy gamer and there is no IR to speak of. I very much doubt one can say all st60s are prone or immune to burn in. Its mostly different from panel to panel.
gbmannc is offline  
post #7487 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
cadett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Sorry I thought you had a GT50 before too, couldn't quite remember.
I did have the GT50, but brought it back due to the ST60 being released & being the better tv. The panel was fine, I just found the image too noisy for my taste.
cadett is offline  
post #7488 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
cadett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit View Post

Nonsense. I observed the complete removal of stubborn IR from my GT50 over a four month period.
Am I happy that it took that long? No. Do I think that it is acceptable? No. Do I think that its permanent and can be considered burn-in......?

No.
Nonsense
cadett is offline  
post #7489 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
samijubal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmannc View Post

I've had my st60 for 2+ months now. I'm a heavy gamer and there is no IR to speak of. I very much doubt one can say all st60s are prone or immune to burn in. Its mostly different from panel to panel.

This is definitely the way it is. I've had mine for a little over three months and have never had a hint of IR no matter what I watch. I play games on mine also and have since 75 hours power on time.
samijubal is offline  
post #7490 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Member
 
Kermit26.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just used the Disney WOW Blu-ray to calibrate our ST60. In Picture:Cinema I had to change the brightness from 0 to +3, (pretty close) and the Contrast from 85 to 47 (not so close). But it dialed it in correctly according to the graphs, so I thought I would have a better picture. Wrong! Watching the opening of Green Mile, where John Coffey (like the drink but spelled differently) walks into the Mile, the detail on the guards uniforms and hats is completely lost with the contrast set to 47. If I set it back to 85, or even better, 95 or 100, the detail returns. And yet at that point it is no longer configured correctly according to the WOW disc. Can someone please tell me what the heck is going on? confused.gif
Kermit26.2 is offline  
post #7491 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,694
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

I did have the GT50, but brought it back due to the ST60 being released & being the better tv. The panel was fine, I just found the image too noisy for my taste.

Well do you think you made the right choice? Probably regretting it now since you say you have BI.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Latinoheat is offline  
post #7492 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
sawfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 778
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit26.2 View Post

I just used the Disney WOW Blu-ray to calibrate our ST60. In Picture:Cinema I had to change the brightness from 0 to +3, (pretty close) and the Contrast from 85 to 47 (not so close). But it dialed it in correctly according to the graphs, so I thought I would have a better picture. Wrong! Watching the opening of Green Mile, where John Coffey (like the drink but spelled differently) walks into the Mile, the detail on the guards uniforms and hats is completely lost with the contrast set to 47. If I set it back to 85, or even better, 95 or 100, the detail returns. And yet at that point it is no longer configured correctly according to the WOW disc. Can someone please tell me what the heck is going on? confused.gif

For my 50ST60, following WoW led me to set contrast to 84 IIRC, which gave me about 56 fL on a 5% white window. This was way too bright for dark room viewing. I settled on 64, which gives me about 36 fL, and this needs +4 Brightness. Are you sure you set Contrast so the two bars on the far right blend together?

FWIW, I like the free AVS709HD patterns much more than Disney WoW for Brightness and Contrast. Its patterns are extremely straightforward, and the numbered bars are easier to talk about than WoW's "two bars on the far right" and the "stars" in the "advanced" section.
sawfish is online now  
post #7493 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
cadett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Well do you think you made the right choice? Probably regretting it now since you say you have BI.
Not really. Noise was present nearly all the time on the GT50. The only time I see the ir on the ST60 is when I walk up to the tv & look for it.
cadett is offline  
post #7494 of 12874 Old 08-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Member
 
TV4Sooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question about my sound setup for the ST60.

I have an Onkyo TX-SR507, which is not ARC capable. I have a PS3 and my cable connected to the receiver, then back to TV via HDMI. I'll sometimes use the PS3 as a media server and stream tunes from my computer to the stereo. Everything sounds fine with cable and the PS3 sending audio.

I wanted to setup DLNA to stream directly to TV. I have an optical audio connection from back of TV to the receiver. Everything seems to work EXCEPT that something is happening to the audio. The music doesn't sound right (guitar parts missing, etc.), even in stereo. I've tried to change the HDMI input on the TV from digital to analog to see if I can turn off the TV volume, but it doesn't matter either way.

What is happening to the audio when streaming with DLNA to my TV, and then to the receiver?

Thanks for any help.
TV4Sooner is offline  
post #7495 of 12874 Old 08-12-2013, 06:41 AM
Member
 
Kermit26.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

For my 50ST60, following WoW led me to set contrast to 84 IIRC, which gave me about 56 fL on a 5% white window. This was way too bright for dark room viewing. I settled on 64, which gives me about 36 fL, and this needs +4 Brightness. Are you sure you set Contrast so the two bars on the far right blend together?

Yeah I double-checked it but I'll look at it again. Thanks for the feedback.

FWIW, I like the free AVS709HD patterns much more than Disney WoW for Brightness and Contrast. Its patterns are extremely straightforward, and the numbered bars are easier to talk about than WoW's "two bars on the far right" and the "stars" in the "advanced" section.
Kermit26.2 is offline  
post #7496 of 12874 Old 08-12-2013, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
cadett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit26.2 View Post


56 at 84 seems a little high. What meter are you using? I measure 38fl at 82. This is on a 60" though.
cadett is offline  
post #7497 of 12874 Old 08-12-2013, 07:26 AM
Member
 
Wangta01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

Ugh. But for me, only after 3 hours of viewing? I've been watching other games this season and its only now that there seems to be a dramatic result.

Been playing Avatar and other shows since 10am, still no change. This infuriates me.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4

Curious, did you do the 100 hours of D-Nice slides?

I watched ESPN yesterday for 6+ hours and have no burn in.
Wangta01 is offline  
post #7498 of 12874 Old 08-12-2013, 07:57 AM
Member
 
Kermit26.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

56 at 84 seems a little high. What meter are you using? I measure 38fl at 82. This is on a 60" though.

It was actually sawfish that provided those measurements. I don't have a meter. Heck, I can't even figure out how to use the WOW disc apparently. wink.gif
Kermit26.2 is offline  
post #7499 of 12874 Old 08-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Bob_Collins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TV4Sooner View Post

I have a question about my sound setup for the ST60.

I have an Onkyo TX-SR507, which is not ARC capable. I have a PS3 and my cable connected to the receiver, then back to TV via HDMI. I'll sometimes use the PS3 as a media server and stream tunes from my computer to the stereo. Everything sounds fine with cable and the PS3 sending audio.

I wanted to setup DLNA to stream directly to TV. I have an optical audio connection from back of TV to the receiver. Everything seems to work EXCEPT that something is happening to the audio. The music doesn't sound right (guitar parts missing, etc.), even in stereo. I've tried to change the HDMI input on the TV from digital to analog to see if I can turn off the TV volume, but it doesn't matter either way.

What is happening to the audio when streaming with DLNA to my TV, and then to the receiver?

Thanks for any help.

I've noticed that basically a channel appears to be missing when using the media player through the optical out to my receiver as well. I thought maybe it was a a bad toslink cable, but NetFlix & OTA pass over 5.1 without issue. I noticed it right after getting my set wall mounted, the cables swapped out for longer ones to allow for better cable management through the mount, and updating the firmware. I don't recall it sounding like this before these changes. Did you update to the latest firmware by any chance? I wonder if the latest firmware broke the audio output?

Can someone else check the optical out to a receiver with some track they are familiar with or which has major separation between left & right channels to see if they hear the same "missing" audio?
Bob_Collins is offline  
post #7500 of 12874 Old 08-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
jp0213x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Image retention is going to vary for everyone. People aren't experiencing IR across the board on these sets. Also its going to depends on what kind of content you watch. I can tell you I have stubborn IR from a news logo on my ST50. I can only see a real subtle imprint of the logo under certain viewing conditions. You really have to look for it to see it. I curious to know if ST60 owners are seeing the subtle vertical line showing up on the right side of the panel. Also is there any signs of the green globs showing up on the panel that might be contributed from vsus? I have about 2400hrs on my ST50. I am debating if I should call in my warranty to BB, but if these problems are showing up on the ST60 then I am not sure. I doubt anyone here has close to 2000hrs on there ST60, but I would like to know if those symptoms will start to appear after the 2000hr mark.
jp0213x is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread - P55st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off