Forum Jump: 

post #8371 of 12981 Old 10-03-2013, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtom4prez View Post

The Japan website gets all the information.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/tv/download/fw/america_2013/down_na_02.html

Improvements
Date/Version Description

Oct. 1, 2013
Ver. 2.720 Introduce Home Screen Collection.

Sep. 10, 2013
Ver. 2.712 Improvement of Web browser.

I don't know if the programmer is sneaking improvements beyond the official enhancements. Let's hope so.

The new firmware also fixed the media player issue mentioned earlier in this thread. (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/7530#post_23625583)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8372 of 12981 Old 10-03-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

So, in a nutshell you saying the 50" S60 and 50" ST60 should have the same MLL give or take 0.0005 fL at most? Also, around the 250-300 hr mark is when to expect the drop if it will occur at all?
Yes, that'd be my guess given what I know. I'm actually pretty curious to know if your MLL will drop.
post #8373 of 12981 Old 10-03-2013, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

So I have been lurking and finally decided to sign up and bite the bullet and buy the 50 inch ST60.  I couldn't stand my old 720p Panasonic anymore. It is supposed to arrive here tomorrow via CEVA (Oh god).  I was wondering what tips you guys have for new settings & breaking in blah blah without scrolling through 280 pages. I do game so I am planning on turning the one pixelation setting off (which exact name is blanking in my head right now).  I assume firmware updates will be recommended so I will do that.

post #8374 of 12981 Old 10-03-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

Yes, that'd be my guess given what I know. I'm actually pretty curious to know if your MLL will drop.

Yeah, so am I... I'll measure the MLL every week or two (since I probably average 8 hours a day if not more).

For the record, there is nothing wrong with a 0.004 fL reading. However, 0.002 fL is significantly better in a completely dark room with dark content (low-APL).
post #8375 of 12981 Old 10-03-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post

I would hope there was a little more than just those things. Update took quite a while and thats with a 50mb down connection. Also left a nice little amount of IR from the progress bar and text. Pretty sure it went away already but still.
Does this update happen automatically? I have s/w #2712. Since I've had this for 2 months that upgrade must have happened automatically. Will #2720 also come in automatically? or do I need to trigger it? and if so, how?
post #8376 of 12981 Old 10-03-2013, 04:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post

I would hope there was a little more than just those things. Update took quite a while and thats with a 50mb down connection. Also left a nice little amount of IR from the progress bar and text. Pretty sure it went away already but still.

Run your bar swipe while you do stuff like that.

I had some stubborn IR the other day. While playing the Battlefield 4 beta, they have a static image that's says "Open Beta" in the top left of the screen. Finished playing and it was as plain as day. Ran pixel flipper for 8 hours and it was still there. So I turned on pixel jogger for 90 min and there is absolutely nothing left of it. So I will be using pixel jogger from now on. It's easier anyways since it's stored on my PS3 and I don't have to go through previews and a menu like the WOW disc.
post #8377 of 12981 Old 10-03-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there one post/source that gives a list of suggestions of ways to get rid of IR? I have had several plasmas - but never, so far, have had a problem. I would print out the list and keep it taped behind the panel to use "in case of emrgency".
Sort of like the way you keep a fire extinguisher but hope it is never used.
post #8378 of 12981 Old 10-03-2013, 05:21 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtom4prez View Post

The Japan website gets all the information.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/tv/download/fw/america_2013/down_na_02.html

Improvements
Date/Version Description

Oct. 1, 2013
Ver. 2.720 Introduce Home Screen Collection.

Sep. 10, 2013
Ver. 2.712 Improvement of Web browser.

I don't know if the programmer is sneaking improvements beyond the official enhancements. Let's hope so.

The firmware upgrade ... the site pointed to has you downloading a zip file, extracting it, and then copying it onto a USB stick. People mention the "download" taking a very long time. Is there more to the process than just loading the file from the USB stick? Does it download additional data from online when you trigger the process? It took me just 5 minutes to actually download the file from the web site, making me wonder if there is much more to it?

Also, has anyone ever reported a firmware upgrade failing? If so, does the TV revert or roll-back to the previous firmware version, or does it become somewhat of a paperweight? Needless to say, I am new to not only Panasonic, but to plasma and "smart TV's".

Neil from Southern California
post #8379 of 12981 Old 10-03-2013, 05:32 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierdaddie View Post

Run your bar swipe while you do stuff like that.

I had some stubborn IR the other day. While playing the Battlefield 4 beta, they have a static image that's says "Open Beta" in the top left of the screen. Finished playing and it was as plain as day. Ran pixel flipper for 8 hours and it was still there. So I turned on pixel jogger for 90 min and there is absolutely nothing left of it. So I will be using pixel jogger from now on. It's easier anyways since it's stored on my PS3 and I don't have to go through previews and a menu like the WOW disc.

The BETA is out?? How do you get that?

And I have a couple of joggers...which did you use? I also just bought the WoW disc, and I think that actually helped out my IR from the BF3 squad hud that I was having trouble with on the bottom left. I usually play hardcore, so I don't have as much hud exposure. But, I had some pretty BAD IR and I have to say that it is pretty much gone now, knock on wood. It has taken a while to lessen, but it pretty much definitely HAS lessened. It's been a couple of weeks since i've played, tho, but still, if it were BI, I would assume that NONE of it would have dissipated.

Just to point out, I had the Pixel Flipper running overnight for a couple of days. Definitely longer than 8 hours. And i have to agree about the menus and etc. on the WoW disc...pretty ridiculous lol

Did you use the jogger available from the forum?
post #8380 of 12981 Old 10-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilK View Post

The firmware upgrade ... the site pointed to has you downloading a zip file, extracting it, and then copying it onto a USB stick. People mention the "download" taking a very long time. Is there more to the process than just loading the file from the USB stick? Does it download additional data from online when you trigger the process? It took me just 5 minutes to actually download the file from the web site, making me wonder if there is much more to it?

Also, has anyone ever reported a firmware upgrade failing? If so, does the TV revert or roll-back to the previous firmware version, or does it become somewhat of a paperweight? Needless to say, I am new to not only Panasonic, but to plasma and "smart TV's".

Typically when firmware updates fail after they've started they tank the product and it can only be fixed by the manufacterer. I don't know if that's true with TVs or not though.
post #8381 of 12981 Old 10-03-2013, 06:02 PM

Liked: 10
To answer your question pertaining to the latest update for the ST60 my first attempt failed . The second time I tried it I had no problems.

G.M.
post #8382 of 12981 Old 10-03-2013, 06:48 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaJae View Post

The BETA is out?? How do you get that?

And I have a couple of joggers...which did you use? I also just bought the WoW disc, and I think that actually helped out my IR from the BF3 squad hud that I was having trouble with on the bottom left. I usually play hardcore, so I don't have as much hud exposure. But, I had some pretty BAD IR and I have to say that it is pretty much gone now, knock on wood. It has taken a while to lessen, but it pretty much definitely HAS lessened. It's been a couple of weeks since i've played, tho, but still, if it were BI, I would assume that NONE of it would have dissipated.

Just to point out, I had the Pixel Flipper running overnight for a couple of days. Definitely longer than 8 hours. And i have to agree about the menus and etc. on the WoW disc...pretty ridiculous lol

Did you use the jogger available from the forum?

I just used the white pixel jogger. http://www.mediafire.com/download/hq5rv78qu1d9dhd/Pixel+Jogger.mp4 You should try it. It seems like it gives the pixels a more intense workout. Might be just me.

The beta came out October 1st for Premium users. Everyone else will get it tomorrow. I noticed something awesome that turned out to be somewhat of a fail. You can set the opacity of the HUD from 0%-100%. 0% completely hides the HUD, but it doesn't work for the names of the members in your squad. But that's the only thing that will show up if you want it like that.
post #8383 of 12981 Old 10-03-2013, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave Spirit View Post

So I have been lurking and finally decided to sign up and bite the bullet and buy the 50 inch ST60.  I couldn't stand my old 720p Panasonic anymore. It is supposed to arrive here tomorrow via CEVA (Oh god).  I was wondering what tips you guys have for new settings & breaking in blah blah without scrolling through 280 pages. I do game so I am planning on turning the one pixelation setting off (which exact name is blanking in my head right now).  I assume firmware updates will be recommended so I will do that.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread

Just stay away from static logos and black bars for the first 100-200hrs and or run the slides from the above thread. See post #1 and 2. I had a professional calibration done by Chad B after 300hrs and it was well worth it.

Matt
post #8384 of 12981 Old 10-03-2013, 11:18 PM

Liked: 53
For all those wondering

I can confirm that the ST60 has better blacks (noticably) when compared to a S60

Imgur album link http://imgur.com/a/3zCAS#0

Here is my comparison thread

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1490539/heads-up-comparison-65-s64-vs-60-st60-ask-me-questions
post #8385 of 12981 Old 10-04-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Netflix is a complicated business. Panasonic, Netflix and your ISP all play a part in what kind of service you get. So the quality I get may have little to nothing to do with what you get.
Agreed, no doubt about that. If there are issues I would say it is the internet service 9 times out of 10.
post #8386 of 12981 Old 10-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can someone who has owned both an ST50 series and an ST60 series comment on how much of an upgrade the ST60 is?
post #8387 of 12981 Old 10-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 34
OK, I'm putting in an order for a 60ST60 in the next few days!

I have a few more questions, following up on my earlier posts.

1. I live in the Indianapolis metro area. I'm trying to figure out the best place to buy it from. Best to me is defined as:
-Trustworthy delivery (if they say it will be delivered on X date, I need it to actually show up). I've got a day off on FRiday the 18th. I want the set then.
-I'll need them to help me get it on the wall (I will have pre-installed a mount, we'll just need to screw in the part that attaches to the TV and lift it up)
-Price: Looks like Amazon Prime has it at just under $1500 (no tax, no delivery fees), as does Best Buy (7% sales tax, apparently free delivery)
---> Do you deal at all these days, or just buy it at stated price and pray for delivery on time?
-If it's defective, I want easy replacement

Recommendations? If I order ~2 weeks in advance, and BB says they can deliver it actually starting next Saturday the 11th, am I likely to REALY get it on the 18th if I set that up? Or do they screw you over a lot?

2. Warranty: I don't usually buy extended warranties. I'll put it on AMEX so I get an extra year already, right? What's the best deal going, and how many of you actually buy them. Is there a good place to read about differences between Amazon Square Trade ($180), Costco Square Trade (~$99), Best Buy warranty (How much?)

3. I've got an existing mount for my current 50" plasma; may replace it with a new one that articulates... do the mounts typically come with the needed screws (M8-1.25 / 20mm)? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but most mounts don't seem to list the screws they come with. I remember my old one came with a dozen different kinds. Would the screws be the same from my old 50" TH-50PX50U?

Thanks all! I can't wait to join the ST60 club, and the move from 50" to 60" is gonna rock!.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #8388 of 12981 Old 10-05-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

OK, I'm putting in an order for a 60ST60 in the next few days!

I have a few more questions, following up on my earlier posts.

1. I live in the Indianapolis metro area. I'm trying to figure out the best place to buy it from. Best to me is defined as:
-Trustworthy delivery (if they say it will be delivered on X date, I need it to actually show up). I've got a day off on FRiday the 18th. I want the set then.
-I'll need them to help me get it on the wall (I will have pre-installed a mount, we'll just need to screw in the part that attaches to the TV and lift it up)
-Price: Looks like Amazon Prime has it at just under $1500 (no tax, no delivery fees), as does Best Buy (7% sales tax, apparently free delivery)
---> Do you deal at all these days, or just buy it at stated price and pray for delivery on time?
-If it's defective, I want easy replacement

You won't find the 60" any cheaper. For the last several months, BBuy, Amazon, Sears etc. has been out of stock and there was (is?) a 2-4 week wait. Obviously, if you buy locally and something goes wrong, there would be less of a hassle factor than if you bought from Amazon, even tho Amazon has excellent customer service. Since your wall mount is already installed, mounting could easily be done by you and one person. This panel was sure a light lighter than our many year old 50" Panny plasma. Our local chain I bought from unboxed it, set it on the enclosed stand, plugged it in to make sure it "ran".

Recommendations? If I order ~2 weeks in advance, and BB says they can deliver it actually starting next Saturday the 11th, am I likely to REALY get it on the 18th if I set that up? Or do they screw you over a lot?
Most chains I have dealt with set an exact day, but won't pinpoint a 2 hours window until the day before.

2. Warranty: I don't usually buy extended warranties. I'll put it on AMEX so I get an extra year already, right? What's the best deal going, and how many of you actually buy them. Is there a good place to read about differences between Amazon Square Trade ($180), Costco Square Trade (~$99), Best Buy warranty (How much?)
I don't believe in warranties. With electronics, if something is defective, it will show up fairly quickly. It sounds like w. your c. card you'd be covered for 2 years.

3. I've got an existing mount for my current 50" plasma; may replace it with a new one that articulates... do the mounts typically come with the needed screws (M8-1.25 / 20mm)? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but most mounts don't seem to list the screws they come with. I remember my old one came with a dozen different kinds. Would the screws be the same from my old 50" TH-50PX50U?
I can't remember if my Monoprice mount came with screws. I did have to buy shorter screws because my old plasma was much thicker. Diameter is the same.

Thanks all! I can't wait to join the ST60 club, and the move from 50" to 60" is gonna rock!.
CORRECT
Marc
Marc_G likes this.
post #8389 of 12981 Old 10-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks snidely! Good info!

post #8390 of 12981 Old 10-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Oh, one more thing: can someone please point me to a good thread/forum where syncing of voice pictures/sound is discussed? In the event that I get a lip sync issue (from HTPC connected via SPDIF/Optical to Receiver and HDMI to TV), I'd like to see how people deal with it. My receiver apparently doesn't have audio delay adjustment built in... curious to see how this is resolved by people with similar setups.

post #8391 of 12981 Old 10-05-2013, 02:38 PM

Liked: 12
Marc_G,

Go to the Panasonic site, shop.panasonic.com, if you work for a company that has discount benefits through perkspot or an Employee discount (epp) with Panasonic you will get a discount. It is not a whole lot cheaper than Bes Buy or Amazon but it does include free whit glove delivery. Also on the Panny site they say they only have a few left in stock.

Good luck, I'll be buyin' one soon. BTW, what part of Indy do you live in. I live on the north side of Indy, a little south of Carmel.

Pat
post #8392 of 12981 Old 10-05-2013, 02:50 PM

Anybody on here buy their ST 60 from the Panny site or look to buy from the Panny site? They are saying on the site that they have few left in stock. Will they sell out before the end of the year and if they do when do the new models come out. Or is that just a sales ploy?
post #8393 of 12981 Old 10-05-2013, 04:54 PM

We bought our 60" from Best Buy. Same price as everywhere else, no bargains out there. Of course I get whatever $1,500 gives you for the BB membership, $25 credit I believe, so take $25 off the $1,499 price basically. Bought it 2 Monday's ago, it was delivered that Saturday by choice. They said they could have gotten us the Thursday, same week, 3 days after purchase, but we both work and prefer weekend delivery. They set it up on its pedestal and set it on our TV stand and plugged everything in and verified that it worked out of the box. We didn't have the hardware to mount it yet. Our older 46" Sony used smaller diameter screws. Delivery was free, as is pick up if we decide within 15 days that we don't like it, and no questions asked 0% restocking fee ... full refund on request. We won't get to test that, it's a keeper, no doubt.

I found the screws we needed, M8 x 1.25 X 1.25", at our local hardware store ... the kind that has drawers full of every kind, size, and length of screw, bolt, washer, fastener that you buy by the single piece. 4 black Allen bolts with lock washers cost a whopping $3.00. Tomorrow my wife and I will mount the bars on the back of the TV and hang it on our Z-Line Designs Phantom stand ... love that stand. The 69 lbs is well under the 245 lbs that the stand supports up to. By the way, talk of customer support ... I called Z-Line and ask them if they had the screws I needed. They said don't worry, they'll just ship me a whole new hanging kit. NO CHARGE! They did, came in 3 days only. Unfortunately though, the last one they sent some 6 years ago for our 46" Sony LCD included the screws to mount to any TV back then ... this new one just had the hardware to assemble the hanger to the stand, not the newer bars to the TV. But still great of them to go to that length 6 years after purchasing it. Definite KUDOS to Z-Line Designs.

post #8394 of 12981 Old 10-05-2013, 05:03 PM

My turn for a question ... we used the D-Nice slides and then my wife entered the D-Nice settings for Custom. They look nice, though a bit darker than we prefer, eliminating some of the fine detail in shadows. We figured that would probably be fixed when we then used the Disney WoW disk in our PS3. Well, the black setup looked pretty good ... except that no matter what we did, we never could see the black bars on the left side though the instructions said that we should at some point. Then we moved on to Contrast ... and this time, no matter what we did, we could never get the white bars to show on the right, and the center never really looked WHITE ... more of a grayish tinted white. We stopped there as we were both tired, were just figuring on seeing how it worked, what it did. But is that normal? Doesn't seem like it. What are we missing here? Is it the D-Nice settings that are hidden deeper in that are messing us up? Do we just need to continue on with WoW and get to the more advanced settings to make the whites look white and the blacks show detail? They are beautiful blacks, inky black, and we see some detail, but not a lot.

So anyone??? What are we missing here?

post #8395 of 12981 Old 10-05-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Amazon has great customer service.
But be aware that the delivery company is a third party. They are not obligated to do anything more than bring the tv in, take the top of the box off, plug it in and make sure it turns on. Anything more is a plus.
candoan likes this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8396 of 12981 Old 10-05-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:

My turn for a question ... we used the D-Nice slides and then my wife entered the D-Nice settings for Custom. They look nice, though a bit darker than we prefer, eliminating some of the fine detail in shadows. We figured that would probably be fixed when we then used the Disney WoW disk in our PS3. Well, the black setup looked pretty good ... except that no matter what we did, we never could see the black bars on the left side though the instructions said that we should at some point. Then we moved on to Contrast ... and this time, no matter what we did, we could never get the white bars to show on the right, and the center never really looked WHITE ... more of a grayish tinted white. We stopped there as we were both tired, were just figuring on seeing how it worked, what it did. But is that normal? Doesn't seem like it. What are we missing here? Is it the D-Nice settings that are hidden deeper in that are messing us up? Do we just need to continue on with WoW and get to the more advanced settings to make the whites look white and the blacks show detail? They are beautiful blacks, inky black, and we see some detail, but not a lot.

So anyone??? What are we missing here?
Make sure CATS is Off (Auto) and Energy Saving is set to Standard.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8397 of 12981 Old 10-05-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:

We bought our 60" from Best Buy. Same price as everywhere else, no bargains out there. Of course I get whatever $1,500 gives you for the BB membership, $25 credit I believe, so take $25 off the $1,499 price basically. Bought it 2 Monday's ago, it was delivered that Saturday by choice. They said they could have gotten us the Thursday, same week, 3 days after purchase, but we both work and prefer weekend delivery. They set it up on its pedestal and set it on our TV stand and plugged everything in and verified that it worked out of the box. We didn't have the hardware to mount it yet. Our older 46" Sony used smaller diameter screws. Delivery was free, as is pick up if we decide within 15 days that we don't like it, and no questions asked 0% restocking fee ... full refund on request. We won't get to test that, it's a keeper, no doubt.

Well if the company you work for has either of those programs, Perkspot or EPP for Panny, it is cheaper. And you have free delivery. You also get more discounts with other companies with Perkspot.
post #8398 of 12981 Old 10-05-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Make sure CATS is Off (Auto) and Energy Saving is set to Standard.

CATS is OFF and PowerSave is Standard. So that is not it. I'd hate to reset to factory after my wife went to all that work, but would be curious to see if we would see the left side black bars and right side white bars if we did so. She'd kill me, but we'd know at least. So still open and looking for suggestions on why we can't see the black clipping and can't see the white bars at all. By the way, we just verified what they are set at, not guessed or remembered.

Watched "The Great Gatsby" tonight using the PS3 ... WOW WOW WOW!!! The colors were fantastic, totally beautiful. Being such a vibrantly colored movie, it really showed the TV off ... and that was with D-Nice settings on Custom. Beautiful picture! But we still want to mess with the Disney WoW calibration disk to see what it can do, perhaps at least compare settings vs picture

post #8399 of 12981 Old 10-05-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:

CATS is OFF and PowerSave is Standard. So that is not it. I'd hate to reset to factory after my wife went to all that work, but would be curious to see if we would see the left side black bars and right side white bars if we did so. She'd kill me, but we'd know at least. So still open and looking for suggestions on why we can't see the black clipping and can't see the white bars at all. By the way, we just verified what they are set at, not guessed or remembered.

Watched "The Great Gatsby" tonight using the PS3 ... WOW WOW WOW!!! The colors were fantastic, totally beautiful. Being such a vibrantly colored movie, it really showed the TV off ... and that was with D-Nice settings on Custom. Beautiful picture! But we still want to mess with the Disney WoW calibration disk to see what it can do, perhaps at least compare settings vs picture

sounds like you are getting black and white level crushing

Go to menu -> advance picture -> HDMI RGB range and make sure the input is set to nonstandard.
post #8400 of 12981 Old 10-05-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post

Can someone who has owned both an ST50 series and an ST60 series comment on how much of an upgrade the ST60 is?

Reviewer have said that the ST60 is comparable to last years VT50 which was last years panasonic top end plasma. The VT50/ST60 will have better black levels than the ST50.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread - P55st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page