Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 283 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8461 of 12811 Old 10-09-2013, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As much as I love plasmas (I own the 60ST60) I wouldn't go with plasma if you will have sunlight shining directly on it. These are bright, but not as bright as the sun. cool.gif If I read your post correctly, you will have direct sunlight during sunset. If you watch TV during that time and you own a plasma, it will be washed out.

In reference to the possibility of these being disco'd, I read this morning that Panasonic is exiting the plasma TV business by March of next year. Don't know if that means this is the last of their plasma models or not. New models are usually released in March to late April of each year. So sad to me that plasma is going away! Glad I got mine when I did 2 weeks ago).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8462 of 12811 Old 10-09-2013, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatliner1 View Post

As much as I love plasmas (I own the 60ST60) I wouldn't go with plasma if you will have sunlight shining directly on it. These are bright, but not as bright as the sun. cool.gif If I read your post correctly, you will have direct sunlight during sunset. If you watch TV during that time and you own a plasma, it will be washed out.

In reference to the possibility of these being disco'd, I read this morning that Panasonic is exiting the plasma TV business by March of next year. Don't know if that means this is the last of their plasma models or not. New models are usually released in March to late April of each year. So sad to me that plasma is going away! Glad I got mine when I did 2 weeks ago).

I knew the answer when asking, was just hoping someone would convince me other wise

I actually have trouble seeing my LCD at certain times of the day
post #8463 of 12811 Old 10-09-2013, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnrok23 View Post

I knew the answer when asking, was just hoping someone would convince me other wise

I actually have trouble seeing my LCD at certain times of the day

Venetian blinds ... window shades ... curtains ... black-out curtains. Especially if it even wipes out the LCD. Alternatively ... re-arrange the room. Move the couch to the opposite wall, or to the 90 degree wall ... whichever works best. Why suffer the setting sun if you want to watch TV. We were worried that a plasma screen would be wiped out in our normal lit room. Big sliding glass door just to the left of the TV, but a Northern exposure, and a balcony overhang 3 feet out from the wall. Still light coming in but not bright sunlight. This 60ST60 handles it with ease, we still have a great picture. The only time we turn down the lights is watching a movie for the movie theater effect. Normal TV watching, mostly Apple TV and On-Demand stuff, we don't even close the blinds.

Neil from Southern California
post #8464 of 12811 Old 10-09-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnrok23 View Post

How is this TV with direct sunlight? I was planning on waiting a few years till I finished my basement, but now that Panasonic seems to be discontinuing these I might by one now

My couch sits in front of a bay window that faces west, TV mounted on wall directly across

I don't want to buy a TV to sit on it for 3 years, but I don't want to use it if I can't see it during the day rolleyes.gif
I wouldnt buy any tv and watch it in direct sunlight.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8465 of 12811 Old 10-09-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It is definitely off topic and there are threads already dedicated to that. Please everyone post there and dont clog this thread up with a bunch of rumors.

post #8466 of 12811 Old 10-09-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1494093/panasonic-to-end-plasma-panel-production-by-april-2014/30#post_23818931
This should make it easy. If you would like to discuss this please do so in this thread.

post #8467 of 12811 Old 10-09-2013, 11:18 AM

Liked: 12
How is the built in browser?

I use Boxee, which is a pain, slow, and some sites don't even work.

I plan on getting the 65" ST60, but curious is I will still need to buy something to browse (I've heard most built in smart tv browsers are not very good at all)
post #8468 of 12811 Old 10-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 78

This was inevitable. If you know electronics you knew when they announced they've stopped R&D this was very likely the last year for Panny plasmas. No R&D = no product.
dannov likes this.
post #8469 of 12811 Old 10-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetraplegia View Post

Ok thanks. Good to know. Its just weird that some peolpe say ist so black, that they cant even see the bezel.
But nevertheless the pq is really good smile.gif

People often don't speak very precisely. What they mean is that the bezel can disappear when there is sufficient content on the screen. For the Panasonic plasmas, this threshold is pretty low, and I say that as someone who usually watches in an almost pitch black room, lit up only by dimmed device LEDs. When the black bars or background are slightly visible, at least they aren't fluctuating in brightness or exhibiting flashlighting or other uniformity defects like LED sets. I had a Sony HX850 for a while, a highly regarded edge-lit set with zone-dimming (16 rectangular zones - whoopie!), and I thought it was terrible due to all the brightness fluctuations both in the bars and content. It could get dark with the right material, but the fakery was frequently revealed in dark scenes, the very scenes the zone-dimming was intended to help. Disable the dimming, and the black levels and uniformity were truly horrible. It's why I got the ST60, which is not without its problems, but it's less frequently annoying than the HX850 was.
post #8470 of 12811 Old 10-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I agree. I had the Vizio 55" with about 200 local zones dimming and even that still proved to be quite annoying after a while. The black level without zone dimming was mediocre and unwatchable in a dimly lit room, but the blooming and highlight dimming was very unsatisfying as well, with the dimming activated. Ended up buying an 80" Sharp with full array LED and NO gimmicks (80-632U). I installed a 16 foot string of LED lighting behind the screen to add a bit of ambient lighting and am now extremely satisfied with the no gimmick black level and bright highlights that really POP! It is quite amazing how much a bit of ambient lighting lowers the apparent black floor level with no downside and less stressful viewing.
In fact, I was so pleased with the viewing improvement that I canceled my order for the 60-ST60. Not totally sure if I made the right choice but I sure am enjoying my TV viewing these days.

Amazon sells it here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040FJ27S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An exceptional deal considering the free shipping and the full adjustability of the lights.
post #8471 of 12811 Old 10-09-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Can you set those for a constant white light? Are they 6500k?

post #8472 of 12811 Old 10-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

It is definitely off topic and there are threads already dedicated to that. Please everyone post there and dont clog this thread up with a bunch of rumors.

Sorry Bond, please feel free to move this entire post or I can delete it for you. biggrin.gif

PS: I wish it was only a rumor buddy as I think Panasonic makes the best Plasma displays out, but it's diffidently not a rumor. All this news reminds me of Pioneer and their exit history from Plasma display technology all over again, what a scenario to repeat.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #8473 of 12811 Old 10-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1494093/panasonic-to-end-plasma-panel-production-by-april-2014/30#post_23818931
This should make it easy. If you would like to discuss this please do so in this thread.

Thanks Bond. biggrin.gif

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #8474 of 12811 Old 10-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Can you set those for a constant white light? Are they 6500k?

You can buy something very similiar with a full roll of lights on ebay for $15. The link has been posted in this thread a few times.
post #8475 of 12811 Old 10-09-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

You can buy something very similiar with a full roll of lights on ebay for $15. The link has been posted in this thread a few times.
Thanks. Ive seen those posts. I have some that are different from those but I was wondering about the ones that billdag bought.

post #8476 of 12811 Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:

Thanks. Ive seen those posts. I have some that are different from those but I was wondering about the ones that billdag bought.
Pretty sure you can as there are 2 custom modes where you can set RGB levels individually. Each light has red, green, and blue.
post #8477 of 12811 Old 10-09-2013, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierdsddie View Post

In the PS3 display settings
'
RGB Full Range should be set to Limited

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super White should be set to on

In the video settings make sure the BD/DVD Video Output Format is set at Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr

Thank you, hoosierdsddie. This gave us the white numbered bars on the Spears & Munsil calibration dvd. We just took a quick look, both tired in the evening, but wanted to see what this disk was like and had the wiped out all white, no bars. So made your changes and HOLA!!!! White numbered boxes. We'll tackle it more this weekend, but now know that we at least have a starting point from which we can wipe out or see the boxes we should be seeing. We'll play with both the S&M and the Disney WoW blu-ray DVD's.

Neil from Southern California
post #8478 of 12811 Old 10-10-2013, 01:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag View Post

Pretty sure you can as there are 2 custom modes where you can set RGB levels individually. Each light has red, green, and blue.
Thanks. I'll read the Amazon reviews and see if I can find the answer.

post #8479 of 12811 Old 10-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

True black on an all black screen is difficult to achieve. Good news is...how often do you watch an all black screen?

The deeper the inky black levels the more your colors will pop out. Additionally all movies fade to black scenes or have very dark scenes in them, which anyone who cares about picture quality will clearly tell you is very important in picture quality. Deep inky black levels are number one on the list and for good reason. wink.gif

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
post #8480 of 12811 Old 10-11-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post

The deeper the inky black levels the more your colors will pop out. Additionally all movies fade to black scenes or have very dark scenes in them, which anyone who cares about picture quality will clearly tell you is very important in picture quality. Deep inky black levels are number one on the list and for good reason. wink.gif
I find it rather amusing that no one has ever complained about the black levels at a movie theater. They are actually quite poor! Much worse, in fact, than my no gimmick Sharp 80". I agree that black level is important, but.....only to a certain extent. Older LCD's and Plasmas had horrible black levels that made for very unsatisfying viewing of dark scenes. I find that today's better sets may not have inky black levels but they are quite close. So much so that dark scenes can be very satisfying especially when there is some bright highlights in the scene.

Other viewers insist that contrast ratio is the most important for a satisfying picture. Picture resolution is considered much less important.

In my opinion, any one of the basic display parameters can utterly destroy the viewing experience. The bigger point is that once you arrive at an adequate contrast ratio, black level, resolution, overall color accuracy, and motion smearing then I am inevitably drawn to the resolution of the display. That is just my two bits, but After 14 years of enjoying Hi-Def displays starting with my Pioneer Elite 58" rear projection I am still bowled over by something like a 1080P Pixar movie.

On a humorous note, I recently came across an old Video magazine and read a review of a plasma set in 1998 or thereabouts. It was a 42" and cost about $45,000.00. It's rated contrast ratio was 65 to 1 !!!!! The test however only measured about 35 to 1!!!! How far we've come..........
post #8481 of 12811 Old 10-11-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post

Again. Who watches an all black screen? I didnt say black screens with colors in them or dark scenes. Those are easier to achieve a true black than an all black screen. Same with an all white screen.

post #8482 of 12811 Old 10-11-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag View Post

On a humorous note, I recently came across an old Video magazine and read a review of a plasma set in 1998 or thereabouts. It was a 42" and cost about $45,000.00. It's rated contrast ratio was 65 to 1 !!!!! The test however only measured about 35 to 1!!!! How far we've come..........
Bought our first Panny plasma early in 2001. 42" for $5K. Had to be mail ordered - brick and motar stores didn't carry them. Not HD, of course. Massive change from our bulky Sony top of the line monitor (25"?). Panny had a dull black border, not the tacky shiny one they have now.
post #8483 of 12811 Old 10-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

Bought our first Panny plasma early in 2001. 42" for $5K. Had to be mail ordered - brick and motar stores didn't carry them. Not HD, of course. Massive change from our bulky Sony top of the line monitor (25"?). Panny had a dull black border, not the tacky shiny one they have now.
Around that same time frame, I remember strolling thru a department store and sitting inconspicuously on a shelf was a 50" Nakamichi plasma for $10,000... and it was a Sam's Club store!

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #8484 of 12811 Old 10-11-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

This was inevitable. If you know electronics you knew when they announced they've stopped R&D this was very likely the last year for Panny plasmas. No R&D = no product.

---That article did say, "When reached for comment, the company said that nothing had been decided." I bet plasma tech has 1-2 years left in it. However, no real PQ improvements.
post #8485 of 12811 Old 10-12-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

If you believe that Panasonic still has not made a decision at this late date, just three months away from CES 2014, I have a lovely bridge that I will sell you for 40% below what it cost me to build it, and I will throw in free shipping. If they were going to keep manufacturing Plasma sets in 2014 they would know that already, and they would have said so.

Greenland is spot on!

I work for a large electronic manufacturer, verifying technical data for the electronic components we use in production.  We don't build for Panny, but I can say that I'm currently verifying parts we're not going to need for production till way into 2014!

Panasonic knows 100% right now if they're going to be building Plasma sets for the 2014 model year.  They would need to be buying the parts as we speak and are probably already being built.

The only "official" news I've seen from Panasonic is that they're going to cease Plasma panel R&D by March 2014.  They have not 'officially' announced they will cease panel production, but it doesn't bode well.  I personally believe they will have some 2014 models, but it doesn't look good for 2015 Panasonic plasmas.

Given that news, I have a 60ST60 due for delivery Monday!  That will have to do me until the next technology emerges and gets some maturity.

"Modesty is for those who have no Talent."
Lazarus Long
post #8486 of 12811 Old 10-12-2013, 08:23 AM

Liked: 11
I also decided on the ST60 60" rather than overspend now for plasma when what I really want is UHD-OLED when the price comes down.
dannov likes this.
post #8487 of 12811 Old 10-12-2013, 08:57 AM

Yeah...

I don't know that I'm quite the videophile that many are here, but I worked in the TV broadcast industry for about 10 years and was an Engineer for part of that.  As a result, I am MUCH more picky about PQ on a TV than the average consumer.

I've known for a couple of months that I was going to be upgrading my current TV, I was just hoping to stall till next Spring or Summer.  I have one of the last of the Toshiba CRT-RPTV's that I felt looked quite good, but it has been showing some warm-up issues in the horizontal scanning recently, so I knew replacement was coming.

When I saw the news about Panasonic Plasmas, I knew I had to make my move soon.  Luckily I have already been doing research on the available Plasma sets, so I knew more or less what I wanted.  I would have liked to get a VT or ZT, but like many, I couldn't justify the cost.  I think the ST60 should get me 90%+ of the performance for quite a bit less money!

Looking forward to playing with the new set and learning the UI.  Hopefully by my Thanksgiving break I'll be ready to try some serious tweaking of the settings...:D

"Modesty is for those who have no Talent."
Lazarus Long
post #8488 of 12811 Old 10-12-2013, 09:07 AM

Liked: 10
so i am coming up on the 100 hour mark and was wondering about Calibration. i am only a beginner with all this but i would like to learn and also something a little more in depth then the basic controls. what do you guys recommend i get? something that walks you through it would be nice. i am not familiar with a lot of the terminology right now. but i am a fast learner.

edit:
right now i have the Disney WoW disc.

edit 2:
if possible i would like something not specific to just Plasma's. i have friends and family i would like to maybe do this for and they have LCD's. and some have even older DLP TV's.
post #8489 of 12811 Old 10-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
My internet connection is fine.....Netflix works fine but You tube and Amazon etc. wont work. I just get screen loading with Amazon and a blank white screen with you tube. These apps worked fine before. Maybe the upgrade software I did????? Thanks for any help.

beau
post #8490 of 12811 Old 10-12-2013, 02:24 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsegoer View Post

My internet connection is fine.....Netflix works fine but You tube and Amazon etc. wont work. I just get screen loading with Amazon and a blank white screen with you tube. These apps worked fine before. Maybe the upgrade software I did????? Thanks for any help.

Sometimes Panasonic's Viera Connect service has temporary issues.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page