Forum Jump: 

post #8551 of 12864 Old 10-17-2013, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

Ha ha, jolly joker... Seriously though, I've got a bad record with BB. I chose to try buying from them due to some aspects being relatively easy to deal with (returns etc.), but only over heavy internal reservations about it.

In their defense, they said I would get a call before 9 pm, and it's not even 6 pm, so they have not done anything wrong. Yet.

Marc,
If the BB guy doesn't help you put it on your stand/wall mount shoot me a PM, I'd be available to help you mount it later Friday evening or Saturday.

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8552 of 12864 Old 10-17-2013, 03:02 PM

The shop Panasonic has the 60" on sale for more off for the next 3 days. Remember you have to be in a company's EPP or Perkspot discount program to get this discount...it's like 25% off.

Pat
NCCaniac likes this.
post #8553 of 12864 Old 10-17-2013, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone tried watching ESPN3 through the web browser on the ST60 yet?

I tried today and it said that the flash player was disabled. How do I enable it?

I know I can use an HDMI cable with my laptop, but I was wanting to use the smart feature of the TV without needing to unhook my bluray player.

I tried the search feature at the top of the page and found nothing.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
post #8554 of 12864 Old 10-17-2013, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitterpat View Post

The shop Panasonic has the 60" on sale for more off for the next 3 days. Remember you have to be in a company's EPP or Perkspot discount program to get this discount...it's like 25% off.

Pat

Thanks for the tip! I had been reading this thread all along and just waiting for the right time to pull the trigger. Had to pay tax, but with the 25% off for company EPP, it still came out over $100 less than the going rate.
post #8555 of 12864 Old 10-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Pat thanks for the offer! Hopefully the delivery guys will help. My friend Jackson might convince them. :-) otherwise I may pm you!

And I just got the call with the time. It will be afternoon which I didn't want due to possible conflict with kid pickup after school if they are running late with delivery. But we'll see how it goes.

I may use the free morning to try a reinstallation of my htpc switching up to win7x64 (I am 32 bit now) on a separate drive. Or I might kick back and watch one last movie on the old TV which I'm selling to a friend.

Thanks all for continued support. I will let you know how it goes!

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #8556 of 12864 Old 10-17-2013, 04:36 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

The ST60 would be a big improvement. Do you do a lot of gaming, if so I would recommend a high end Samsung Plasma over any Panny as they seem to be a bit more IR resistant than the new Panny models.

The TV will pretty much be used to play fifa 14 on ps4 and maybe 1 - 2 other games here and there

I use a pc as my main gaming rig with a 120hz 2560x1440 screen i just feel some games are better on console / tv such as fifa
post #8557 of 12864 Old 10-17-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsCuseFan View Post

I tried today and it said that the flash player was disabled. How do I enable it?

I know I can use an HDMI cable with my laptop, but I was wanting to use the smart feature of the TV without needing to unhook my bluray player.

Pretty sure the browser doesnt support Adobe Flash.
JetsCuseFan likes this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8558 of 12864 Old 10-17-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

That seems odd to me as when ESPN3 first comes on, a window pops up and says "you need the newest version of adobe flash player".

So I click the link they give, then it say's, You already have flash player installed but it is disabled, click here to enable, so I did, and it shows how to enable it through Chrome.

Im clueless.

I'll just go with the HDMI.

Thanks for your reply Bond007.
post #8559 of 12864 Old 10-17-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 408
Add me to the club I just ordered the 60" version from Paul's TV. This is my first plasma panel and I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger smile.gif
post #8560 of 12864 Old 10-17-2013, 06:25 PM

Liked: 25
well I arranged to have Best Buy do the calibration finally. It was free so even if it sucks I can have it redone later. FYI BB renamed their Rewards Program and has since done away with the premium silver reward features of calibration for free. If you have the Silver Reward Zone status and have not used yout Geek Squad visit better hurry and call them asap to do it.

| Panasonic TC-P60ST60 | Pioneer Elite SC-81 | Sony PlayStation 3 | Sony PlayStation 4 | DirecTV HR44 Genie |
post #8561 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 05:43 AM

So. We currently have a Samsung pn43B450 in our living room. We love the plasma and are wanting to upgrade. I currently play video games on it and understand the input lag could be a little off putting, can live with it.

I was just wondering if my Samsung looks good in my living room, I am talking about the brightness, can I assume the ST60 will look even better?

I also watch a lot of sports, and I worry about the pixelation of fast moving object. We went to my wife's friends house and they have a 70 in Sharp LED in their basement and we were watching a movie and sometimes with the fast action stuff, it just looked bad to me. Especially compared to my 42 inch plasma. Some of that is the larger TV I assume, but it frightens me if because the ST60 is larger this could happen there.

Would this TV be good for me?
post #8562 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 06:14 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsCuseFan View Post

Quote:

Any chance a firmware update could enable flash player down the road? Also, has anyone tried plugging a keyboard into the USB for speeding up the process of entering URL's and search data?

I have been looking at the ST60 and VT60 and the support of flash and wireless keyboard are attractive to me in the VT60. It would allow me to take a laptop (connected via HDMI to the TV) out of the equation.
post #8563 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The VT60 supports Adobe Flash?

post #8564 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 06:52 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

The VT60 supports Adobe Flash?

According to the Panasonic VT60 spec sheet it does support flash. I read one review where it mentions the flash support as well, but I don't recall which review it was.
post #8565 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester99 View Post

well I arranged to have Best Buy do the calibration finally. It was free so even if it sucks I can have it redone later. FYI BB renamed their Rewards Program and has since done away with the premium silver reward features of calibration for free. If you have the Silver Reward Zone status and have not used yout Geek Squad visit better hurry and call them asap to do it.
How do you go about finding out if you can get a free calibration?
post #8566 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 07:49 AM

Liked: 25
You have to have been a Silver Rewards Member. Send a pm and I can assist you further.

| Panasonic TC-P60ST60 | Pioneer Elite SC-81 | Sony PlayStation 3 | Sony PlayStation 4 | DirecTV HR44 Genie |
post #8567 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

It's Here! And it's beautiful... or at least, it will be...

I've got slides running on it for the moment, because I decided to spend the morning retooling my HTPC. After starting that, I got a call from the Best Buy folks and they asked if I would be around earlier than planned. HECK YEAH! They gave me a new delivery time and rang the doorbell right on time.

As expected, they saw I had everything laid out to mount it and they said "you know, we're not allowed to mount these for you..." But I tipped them both in exchange for some white glove service. Really nice guys. They were happy they didn't have to take away the 100 pound beast this new set is replacing.

Anyway, my HTPC is not quite done updating its new copy of Win7x64, so it will be a while before I can pipe actual content to the new set. But the menus and such looked fine and the slides aren't showing any problems with the screen that I can detect. It should be a fun afternoon of playtime for me!

Marc
pitterpat likes this.

post #8568 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

It's Here! And it's beautiful... or at least, it will be...

I've got slides running on it for the moment, because I decided to spend the morning retooling my HTPC. After starting that, I got a call from the Best Buy folks and they asked if I would be around earlier than planned. HECK YEAH! They gave me a new delivery time and rang the doorbell right on time.

As expected, they saw I had everything laid out to mount it and they said "you know, we're not allowed to mount these for you..." But I tipped them both in exchange for some white glove service. Really nice guys. They were happy they didn't have to take away the 100 pound beast this new set is replacing.

Anyway, my HTPC is not quite done updating its new copy of Win7x64, so it will be a while before I can pipe actual content to the new set. But the menus and such looked fine and the slides aren't showing any problems with the screen that I can detect. It should be a fun afternoon of playtime for me!

Marc

Good for you and congrats!
post #8569 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

This thread doesn't have a lot of content aimed at HTPC users of this TV, so I'll document my findings periodically that relate specifically to this TV (60ST60) as driven by an HTPC.
)
(Of course, the first thing I did was turn off banner ads (thanks, CNET!) and set the TV full screen as the power on home screen.)

As background, I'm now (as of this morning) running win7 x64, with an ATI Radeon 5670 GPU, connected by a new Monoprice HDMI cable into HDMI port 1. I've got an optical TOSLINK from the computer to the (old, pre-hdmi) receiver, and another optical cable connecting the TV optical OUT to the receiver.

The biggest problem I had with my 2005 Panny plasma (an old 1080i model) was that I could never properly fill the screen centered perfectly. It was always a bit down of center, and even if I could scale the size correctly I could never center it.

First time I connected my new ST60 to the freshly-installed windows with 13.9 driver version (all default settings) for HDMI, it showed up properly scaled and centered. But, after a reboot, it was oversized for the screen (but, thankfully, centered). I found I could correct this one of two ways... not sure which is best (looking for input!). Either on the TV choose Pixel Direct mode (accepting warning about the format needed... it worked fine) or alternatively using the ATI Catalyst control settings for scaling... something like four or five ticks to the left seemed to scale it at least approximately correctly.

Thoughts from the users here as to which option would be most appropriate?

Either way, the picture is fantastically crisp and clear, though I'm comparing it to a many generations old TV.

I'll finish some driver installations after lunch (continuing with slides for now), get the HTPC set up some more, then move on. I will keep you all posted.

Marc

post #8570 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 10:22 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fester99 View Post

You have until November 1st to make an appointment. After that you're SOL. I made an appointment. Kind of embarrassed to even mention it here too. But like you said, free is free and if it sucks, I'll spent the 400 bones to get it done by an actual calibrator.
post #8571 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by slack2116 View Post

How do you go about finding out if you can get a free calibration?
You need to look into that further, it is not like a calibration from calibrators in AVS ! These guys from the geek quad are nothing like Chad B for example.......
dannov likes this.
post #8572 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Well, my TV is doing it's software update. I went in to configure the Netflix App and it said there was a new software update, and I wouldn't be able to use any Vierra apps until I updated, so I bit the bullet and let it go ahead. It's about 50% now... waiting... waiting... Kinda sucks that if it sees the update is available it locks you out from using things the way they are. Possibly I misunderstood what the notification was about, but anyway I'll have the latest version. I hope it doesn't affect me badly... I saw some folks had trouble with Amazon after the update (maybe wifi related? I'm on Ethernet).

I've been somewhat paranoid about doing computer stuff on the new screen. Even this system update is pretty static.

Can't wait to watch content!!

While the TV updates, my Windows Media Center is going through a long guide download and setup, so I'm killing two birds at once...

post #8573 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of Netflix apps, move on my Oppo 93 will only output stereo. Forgive my beginner question but this is my first smart TV, can I output audio from the ST60 into my pre/pro? I'm assuming I can do this and be able to get multi channel with Netflix finally.
post #8574 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Speaking of Netflix apps, move on my Oppo 93 will only output stereo. Forgive my beginner question but this is my first smart TV, can I output audio from the ST60 into my pre/pro? I'm assuming I can do this and be able to get multi channel with Netflix finally.
You wont get multi channel with the Oppo unless you run an optical cable or HDMI direct to your pre/pro. The tv will downconvert it to 2.0.

post #8575 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 12:19 PM

Hello all, new owner of a TC-P50ST60.  I upgraded from an older LCD.  Lot's of information here but it's a bit overwhelming to a new plasma owner.  I had no idea about "break in" periods or slides that should be used for the first 100 hours.  Evidently, since i've been watching the t.v. for a few days i missed the chance to follow D-Nice's set up procedure.

I've tried searching the forum and reading many posts to no avail, please forgive for redundant questions.  I am in no way a videofile, i just want to enjoy a great picture.

I am primarily a sports and cable tv user, not so much dvd's (so far anyway).  

Initial questions:

Now that I've been watching the t.v. i assume i just continue to watch for the break in, (no slides)?

I assume after 100 hours the tv is broken in?

the look of the tv picture , colors, brightness, etc will change during this 100 hour period?

I should avoid "vivid" setting during break in?

How do i access how many hours are on the t.v.?

Initially my thoughts are the display looks "darker" than i am used to.  Will this change as tv breaks in?  Is this common perception?

Love to watch hockey, any setting recommendations to make the gray, dull , lack luster is look better?

Thanks in advance for reading and responding.

post #8576 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 12:24 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

If you watch NetFlix from the TV's built-in app and connect the Toslink from the TV to your receiver, you will get 5.1 on those videos which contain 5.1.
post #8577 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Collins View Post

If you watch NetFlix from the TV's built-in app and connect the Toslink from the TV to your receiver, you will get 5.1 on those videos which contain 5.1.

That's what I wanted to hear smile.gif thanks Bob!
post #8578 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 12:59 PM

hi guys,

im gonna pick this tv up in roughly an hour. ill be buying the 50 inch one. i havent bought a tv in about 10 years and have been reading reviews for tvs for a while now. this one seems to be the best reviewed tv, even though when i saw it in a big box store it didnt really impress me, was quite dim and bland colors. i was thinking of buying the s60, but the st60 will be better for blu rays since is it has the 96hz option, correct, i hate judder and flicker. there is a 15 day return policy if i dont like it, so its worth a shot trying this one out. smile.gif.
post #8579 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb44 View Post

hi guys,

im gonna pick this tv up in roughly an hour. ill be buying the 50 inch one. i havent bought a tv in about 10 years and have been reading reviews for tvs for a while now. this one seems to be the best reviewed tv, even though when i saw it in a big box store it didnt really impress me, was quite dim and bland colors. i was thinking of buying the s60, but the st60 will be better for blu rays since is it has the 96hz option, correct, i hate judder and flicker. there is a 15 day return policy if i dont like it, so its worth a shot trying this one out. smile.gif.

When you get your new panel home and darken the room this is when the picture is going to "pop" or at night it will impress you. Congrats and please tell us how you like it!
post #8580 of 12864 Old 10-18-2013, 01:31 PM

My 60ST60 was delivered Monday, and all I can say is WOW!  Now I know what I've been missing!

I need to dig into the instructions this weekend.  I'm having problems getting it to recognize the SD card for the media player. I'm sure I'm overlooking something...

Bruuce and shenaniganz08 like this.

"Modesty is for those who have no Talent."
Lazarus Long
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread - P55st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page