Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 289 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #8641 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 01:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo164 View Post

i am trying to understand the aspect settings on the st60......what is the difference between the the Full and Just settings? For HD content to watch in native mode and not stretch the screen. Thanks

Full is for widescreen material and just is to stretch 4:3, it scrunches the middle of the screen a little so faces don't look quite so stretched.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

Is it possible to super-fine-tune the scaling?

I sent the WOW scaling signal to the TV using two different players (TMT5 playing the WOW disc, and an MKV [full quality] rip via Windows Media Center) and both of them show the same thing. I'm missing about one pixel on both the right and bottom of the set. Top and left line up perfectly as far as I can tell.

I get slight moire pattern or whatever it's called on the single pixel patterns on that same scaling test signal, indicating imperfect pixel alignment, so I'm pretty sure it's not just slight manufacturing occlusion of the bottom/right edge of the panel.

What's the best way to correct?

Marc

Do you have pixel orbiter on? That shifts the picture by about that much. If you toggle it on/off you can see the picture move around.
post #8643 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Well before running the test, I turned the pixel orbiter from On to the other allowed setting of Auto. There seems to be no off.

I did more tests last night and found actually when I play the WOW patter with TMT5 software I get proper pixel alignment but my other players (WMC, MPC-HC) give either one pixel line missing at bottom or left, with misalignment in the patterns. So I now thin it is a software issue rather than a TV issue. I have more tests to do to confirm the situation.

Turning off (auto) the orbiter fixed the very annoying problem where my desktop screen was visibly misaligned with the panel at times.
Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #8644 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had the tv for a few months now, and the picture keeps getting better. Football looks amazing, and games on the 360, and PS3 are gorgeous. I just used the WoW disc, and the calibration from that has helped a lot. Next, I plan on testing out DNice's and Cnet's settings to see how they compare. I really wish I had $300-$400 extra laying around for professional calibration, but I can't complain, because the picture is so beautiful.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60
Onkyo HTX-22HDX
post #8645 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I tried the settings from D-Nice and a couple of other people in the forum after I had aged the panel about 100 hours. In the end I just slightly tweaked the Home Theater mode and have left it there since. I can't even imagine how this set would look with a professional calibration.

I agree that for the money this is an amazing set. I also have a VT25 which also has a great picture, but the ST60 is a little better, and it's hard to believe this is their entry level 3D set. It's a shame to think that Panasonic has elected to not continue developing this technology.
post #8646 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

Well before running the test, I turned the pixel orbiter from On to the other allowed setting of Auto. There seems to be no off.

I did more tests last night and found actually when I play the WOW patter with TMT5 software I get proper pixel alignment but my other players (WMC, MPC-HC) give either one pixel line missing at bottom or left, with misalignment in the patterns. So I now thin it is a software issue rather than a TV issue. I have more tests to do to confirm the situation.

Turning off (auto) the orbiter fixed the very annoying problem where my desktop screen was visibly misaligned with the panel at times.
Marc
Auto=Off
Marc_G likes this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8647 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 11:53 AM

Liked: 12

Waiting patiently for my 55ST60 to be delivered! A 4-hour window that normally means the last hour?

A late thanks to abinitio for his response. I have a good idea of how to proceed & just put D-Nice's slides on my 16GB USB stick. Will run them for at least 100 hours with his settings & then pop in the calibration settings.

I think I'll do what another member mentioned, which is D-Nice's settings on one picture mode & the CNET one's on another.

My first plasma & am both nervous & excited. Thanks to D-Nice for his hard work & saving me $ for a pro-calibration. And to everyone's input, ideas, etc. that I can't stop reading. Love the stuff I find here!!

Man, I hate waiting....

Jeff

comfynumb likes this.
post #8648 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 12:06 PM

Am waiting (patiently?) for my 55ST60 to arrive! One of those 4-hour delivery windows that normally means the last hour!

A late thanks to abinitio for his response to my post. I have a pretty good idea of what to do & just put D-Nice's slides on my USB stick to run for 100+ hours with his settings. Then will pop in his calibration settings that will hopefully save getting a pro-calibration? Don't have much money & am grateful for all of his hard work, along with all of the good stuff I've found here. Can't stop reading these threads!

I read somewhere that another member used D-Nice's settings on one picture mode & CNET's on another. Anyone try this for different inputs, such as one for cable, the other for blu ray?

Will update on my progress later.

Man, I hate waiting....

Jeff

post #8649 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 12:09 PM

Sorry. Didn't see my first post appear after refreshing. Second one is more of a question about 2 different mode settings? Scuze!

Jeff

post #8650 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 01:19 PM

i have a question. so i have my Cable hooked up through HDMI to my receiver. and from the receiver to my TV. sometimes when i turn my TV and Receiver on i get sound but no picture from the Cable box. it doesnt happen with any of the other stuff (Bluray, XBOX, WD Live TV). i tried a new HDMI cord already and it happened with that also. any idea's? could it have something to do with "Pass Through"?
post #8651 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by slack2116 View Post

i have a question. so i have my Cable hooked up through HDMI to my receiver. and from the receiver to my TV. sometimes when i turn my TV and Receiver on i get sound but no picture from the Cable box. it doesnt happen with any of the other stuff (Bluray, XBOX, WD Live TV). i tried a new HDMI cord already and it happened with that also. any idea's? could it have something to do with "Pass Through"?

It sounds like a handshake issue possibly. Try turning your cable box on first then your AVR then your Panny.
post #8652 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 01:56 PM

the Cable box is normally always on. i can try that a few times i guess. see if it helps.
post #8653 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
Quote:

the Cable box is normally always on. i can try that a few times i guess. see if it helps.
Then also try turning the cable box off first.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8654 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
Quote:

I'm looking at my Marantz pre/pro settings for pass through and I have the pass through set to "last". Maybe try that or on mine I can set it to CBL/SAT you can try that also.
post #8655 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo164 View Post

i am trying to understand the aspect settings on the st60......what is the difference between the the Full and Just settings? For HD content to watch in native mode and not stretch the screen. Thanks
As already answered, "Just" is used when watching 4:3 content to fill the screen. When we got our first plasma 10+ years ago, most content was still SD and, of course 4:3. In fact the U.S. satellite carriers and even our cable companies didn't have much, if any HD. We ordered Canadian satellite which was carrying all the U.S. networks and what HD there was elsewhere. The 4:3 content being stretched I thought would look weird - but Panny did it so it looked pretty natural even back then.
Can't remember last time we've watched a 4:3 program.
post #8656 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 02:46 PM

About ready to pull the trigger on the 60ST60 but have one last... Concern. I know it's not "trendy" to enjoy 3D but I do. I read reviews of different panels and when it comes to 3D talk you usually read things like "who cares anyway" or "acceptable but does it really matter anyway". To be fair, I have yet to enjoy 3D at home and I'm basing my 3D love affair SOLEY based on IMAX in theaters. That said, I did get a chance to see Avatar in 3D at a local shop viewing it on a VT50 last year. I was impressed.

Anyway, since the ST60 @ $1500 is my price point, I'm concerned with reviews that state things like "for the money, there are better Plasma sets for viewing 3D" and "Plasma tech just doesn't come close to LCD/LED's for the Pop required for GREAT 3D in the home"

For the record, my wife and I can't stomach the soap opera effect we see on LCD's even though I understand this can be somewhat defeated with "motion" settings turned off. I absolutely love the above mentioned "pop" but who can argue with the stunning picture quality of a Plasma?

So I suppose my question is this... What do you, owners of the ST60's feel about your 3D exp.? Are you impressed? Do you often find yourselves even viewing 3D much? I'd love to hear your thoughts about this issue....

Thank you so much for your help...
post #8657 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillychad View Post

About ready to pull the trigger on the 60ST60 but have one last... Concern. I know it's not "trendy" to enjoy 3D but I do. I read reviews of different panels and when it comes to 3D talk you usually read things like "who cares anyway" or "acceptable but does it really matter anyway". To be fair, I have yet to enjoy 3D at home and I'm basing my 3D love affair SOLEY based on IMAX in theaters. That said, I did get a chance to see Avatar in 3D at a local shop viewing it on a VT50 last year. I was impressed.

Anyway, since the ST60 @ $1500 is my price point, I'm concerned with reviews that state things like "for the money, there are better Plasma sets for viewing 3D" and "Plasma tech just doesn't come close to LCD/LED's for the Pop required for GREAT 3D in the home"

For the record, my wife and I can't stomach the soap opera effect we see on LCD's even though I understand this can be somewhat defeated with "motion" settings turned off. I absolutely love the above mentioned "pop" but who can argue with the stunning picture quality of a Plasma?

So I suppose my question is this... What do you, owners of the ST60's feel about your 3D exp.? Are you impressed? Do you often find yourselves even viewing 3D much? I'd love to hear your thoughts about this issue....

If I was going to spend a lot of time watching 3D, I would have chosen an LG set with passive 3D or if money was no object, a Sony 4k that has passive 1080p 3D. My eyes are very sensitive to the active 3D technology. But with all that being said, I went with the ST60 because of it's unrivaled PQ in it's class. Your mileage may vary.
sheshechic likes this.
post #8658 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 05:57 PM

Is there a menu setting to view the hours count on the set?
post #8659 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 06:17 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelhambrewer View Post

Is there a menu setting to view the hours count on the set?

Yes - press Menu > scroll down to Help > select Version > then on the line that says Status4 the hours are shown after the letter. Hit Menu twice to exit when you're done.

Mine currently reads A0021-0000 which means it has 21 hours on it.

You can also check the hours the traditional way by going into the Service Menu, but the user menu method is quicker and safer.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #8660 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Yes - press Menu > scroll down to Help > select Version > then on the line that says Status4 the hours are shown after the letter. Hit Menu twice to exit when you're done.

You can also check the hours the traditional way by going into the Service Menu, but the user menu method is quicker and safer.

Hi, Randy. I received my 60ST60 this morning and the first thing I did after the delivery guys left was check the hours using the version method. The interesting part is that Satus4 read [blank]0100. An hour later, it read A0001. It's been on for 7 hours now and reads A0007.

My point is that as we found in the VT thread, the Status4 number increments by one every 60 minutes and the value is, indeed, the same as the hours shown in the service menu.

Larry
candoan likes this.
post #8661 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruuce View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillychad View Post

If I was going to spend a lot of time watching 3D, I would have chosen an LG set with passive 3D or if money was no object, a Sony 4k that has passive 1080p 3D. My eyes are very sensitive to the active 3D technology. But with all that being said, I went with the ST60 because of it's unrivaled PQ in it's class. Your mileage may vary.

+1

post #8662 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
So, in Advanced Picture, HDMI content, what exactly is the difference between Graphics / Photo / Auto / Off?

It says it adjusts the picture, but by doing what, exactly? I'm curious how this interacts with other settings...

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #8663 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Was this always there from the start or was there an update that added it? This is so much easier to get the hours on the set.

| Panasonic TC-P60ST60 | Pioneer Elite SC-81 | Sony PlayStation 3 | Sony PlayStation 4 | DirecTV HR44 Genie |
post #8664 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 11:01 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Mario,

To avoid causing another stir, I will only point to the links in my signature.

I have to agree. Plugging in settings will get you in the ballpark at best, nothing more.
post #8665 of 13379 Old 10-22-2013, 11:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy60 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Mario,

To avoid causing another stir, I will only point to the links in my signature.

I have to agree. Plugging in settings will get you in the ballpark at best, nothing more.
Isn't it amazing that I've always understood D-Nice to have written the same thing. He calls his settings a good starting point. smile.gif
post #8666 of 13379 Old 10-23-2013, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Hello,

Long time no post, but routine reader.

I've got approximately 1567 hours (since April) on my 50" ST60 at the moment.

Upon entering practice mode on NBA 2K14 I've encountered the following issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxlPY65VM0E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Not sure what's going on here, and I notice the same thing on some faces at times. Any help would be great - thanks.
post #8667 of 13379 Old 10-23-2013, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post

Hello,

Long time no post, but routine reader.

I've got approximately 1567 hours (since April) on my 50" ST60 at the moment.

Upon entering practice mode on NBA 2K14 I've encountered the following issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxlPY65VM0E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Not sure what's going on here, and I notice the same thing on some faces at times. Any help would be great - thanks.

Can't view video.
post #8668 of 13379 Old 10-23-2013, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

Can't view video.

Try now
post #8669 of 13379 Old 10-23-2013, 07:17 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by fester99 View Post

Was this always there from the start or was there an update that added it? This is so much easier to get the hours on the set.

I don't know, someone in the VT60 thread had discovered this a while back and posted about it (that's where i learned of it) but it was probably there the whole time, someone just finally discovered it.

I've been checking mine against my log-book and so far it's accurately counting the hours. The hour count is the only value that has been changing on that screen BTW.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #8670 of 13379 Old 10-23-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Hello ,
Foot US my ST60 :

cool.gif
candoan likes this.

Pioneer LX 5090H + Démo G5  C+ Csat HD + DD et la TNT + Pioneer LX58 + Sony BD-S790 ... Pana 50 ST60 + PS3 BD + Pioneer BD320 ... CRT Philips 32 PW 9520 P+2 DNM + TNT Thomson DTI 652 + Pioneer DV 380 ... BR 137 .
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread