post #8911 of 12811 Old 11-01-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superiorwitt View Post

Hows everyone using the Pandora Smart App? Im concerned of the possibility of burn in, as there are certain elements that just are static
I think theres a screensaver. Try it for about 10 minutes. If not, dont use it.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8912 of 12811 Old 11-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Now that PAnasonic's exit from the plasma market is certain, and likely other vendors will follow suit in the next couple years, I'm considering what to do about warranty.

I'm not a big "extended warranty" guy because they are set up to make lots of profit for the warranty seller. However, I've been considering the $95 square trade warranty I can buy at Costco. I've still got about six weeks to purchase it (must buy within 60 days of TV purchase).

I've got 1 year of Panasonic warranty, then 1 year of AMEX extended warranty, then the Square Trade would kick in after that for years 3-5.

Let's say I'm in year 4 and the set dies, unfixable. Let's also assume there are no comparable plasma sets on the market. Let's say the closest performing set is an OLED set that costs significantly more than what I paid for the now irreplaceable plasma.

How do warranties handle this? From what I can read online, there's sort of an assumption that a comparable set can be had for comparable cost. What if this isn't the case due to retired technology?

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #8913 of 12811 Old 11-01-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My understanding, with ST, is that they will give you the amount of your warranty toward a different set of your choice. For instance you have a $1500 warranty and choose a $2000 set then it would cost you $500 for the new set.

post #8914 of 12811 Old 11-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

My understanding, with ST, is that they will give you the amount of your warranty toward a different set of your choice. For instance you have a $1500 warranty and choose a $2000 set then it would cost you $500 for the new set.

SQ refunds the purchase price minus taxes and shipping.
post #8915 of 12811 Old 11-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Hopefully Samsung continues plasma displays for a few more years......

Even if they do, Samsung isn't Panasonic.
sheshechic likes this.
post #8916 of 12811 Old 11-01-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If Samsung doesn't get rid of the buzz, they don't deserve to make a profit from plasma sales. All these years and still they buzz.

post #8917 of 12811 Old 11-01-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

Quote:

SQ refunds the purchase price minus taxes and shipping.

I believe the amount depends on how much of the warranty you've used, and/or how old the set is. I believe that the more you've used of your warranty, on separate issues that are not the one that can't be fixed, the lower the amount of the actual price is refunded. I don't think you get a full refund if your tv is 5 or 6 years old either. I believe the answer to what one will receive at any given time is a little more complex than the description for ST on Amazon, or their home page, eludes to. If you read some of the complaints filed with Better Business, or individual reviews, I think you'll get a clearer picture of what happens under certain circumstances.

post #8918 of 12811 Old 11-01-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

LOL, I have had the exact opposite experience with Katzmaier's settings.

Do you have the upgrade bug yet ? smile.gif

As in upgrade to a current model?

post #8919 of 12811 Old 11-01-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Cinema calibrates different mainly from a color stanpoint, you can plug those settings in but I don't believe they will result in the same picture. Also the DNice settings produced a red push on my set

How many hours were on your set when you tried D-Nice's settings?

post #8920 of 12811 Old 11-01-2013, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Hows everyone using the Pandora Smart App? Im concerned of the possibility of burn in, as there are certain elements that just are static

when using that app, goto menu, screen and than turn it off, that will make it a black screen and still play whatever you have on it just turns the screen completely black.
post #8921 of 12811 Old 11-01-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I believe the amount depends on how much of the warranty you've used, and/or how old the set is. I believe that the more you've used of your warranty, on separate issues that are not the one that can't be fixed, the lower the amount of the actual price is refunded. I don't think you get a full refund if your tv is 5 or 6 years old either. I believe the answer to what one will receive at any given time is a little more complex than the description for ST on Amazon, or their home page, eludes to. If you read some of the complaints filed with Better Business, or individual reviews, I think you'll get a clearer picture of what happens under certain circumstances.
Dont know about the age thing although most people dont get a 6 year warranty. You are right that it depends on whether you have used it or not previously. Its only good for the amount of warranty purchased. For ex if you get a $1500 warranty and have to use it for a replacement part that is $500 then you only have $1000 worth of coverage left.
sheshechic likes this.

post #8922 of 12811 Old 11-01-2013, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Dont know about the age thing although most people dont get a 6 year warranty. You are right that it depends on whether you have used it or not previously. Its only good for the amount of warranty purchased. For ex if you get a $1500 warranty and have to use it for a replacement part that is $500 then you only have $1000 worth of coverage left.

Square Trade and Best Buy have have a 5 year warranty. I don't recall ever seeing them that long before. Do tvs live that long? wink.gif

post #8923 of 12811 Old 11-01-2013, 11:02 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:

If you have an Oppo bluray player, you can use Pandora from it and then press the Pure audio button on the remote to shut off the video. I do this and it works great.

Matt
post #8924 of 12811 Old 11-02-2013, 12:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Square Trade and Best Buy have have a 5 year warranty. I don't recall ever seeing them that long before. Do tvs live that long? wink.gif
Our Kuro will be six years old at the end of this month. We have a warranty good for five years past the manufacturer's warranty. The Kuro's main board was replaced in early October and the $1,000 repair bill was covered by our warranty.

As far as I know, extended warranties give the insurance company the option to replace a set, provide a comparable set, repair the set, or offer a cash settlement based on the purchase price (by invoice) adjusted to current market value. I've never figured out how to determine what goes into the calculations that determine the choices that the warranty company makes.

I've never been aware of a policy for a fixed amount of money. The price of our policy was based on the price range that our Kuro fit into at the time of purchase.

Given the state of things in the world of plasma, I'm hoping the Kuro lives many more uninsured years. I have no idea how much the company would cover during the last month of the policy. My guess is that they would pay for a board replacement but that they wouldn't pay for a panel replacement because of the current market value of the set. If a repair was too expensive, I expect that we would get a check based on their interpretation of the set's current market value. I'm just speculating. wink.gif
sheshechic likes this.
post #8925 of 12811 Old 11-02-2013, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They do deduct for repairs done under the warranty. Age makes no difference.
sheshechic likes this.
post #8926 of 12811 Old 11-02-2013, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I bought my 60ST60 to replace my 8 year old panny 50" model from 2005-2006. It still worked perfectly but I wanted a modern set with decent black levels, 1080p, integrated Netflix... I paid $3000 for that set in january 2006... it was marked down on clearance! I sold it to a buddy for $100. Funny how things change.

Marc
sheshechic likes this.

post #8927 of 12811 Old 11-02-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

I'm not a big "extended warranty" guy because they are set up to make lots of profit for the warranty seller. However, I've been considering the $95 square trade warranty I can buy at Costco. I've still got about six weeks to purchase it (must buy within 60 days of TV purchase).

Marc
For $95, buy the warranty............
Quote:

Even if they do, Samsung isn't Panasonic.
Your right, they still make a great set though. Still a much better choice over edge lit LED's.
post #8928 of 12811 Old 11-02-2013, 11:10 AM

Liked: 14
can one buy square trade warranty from costco if the tv is not bought at costco?
post #8929 of 12811 Old 11-02-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 407
You can go right to square trade and buy the warranty online.
post #8930 of 12811 Old 11-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

You can go right to square trade and buy the warranty online.

True, but for a ~$1499 TV, Square Trade online charges $169 for a 4 year plan. Bought by Costco member on the Costco website you get 5 year plan for $99.99. Assumes years 1 and 2 are covered by manufacturer (year 1) and either Costco or AMEX (year 2).

I will be buying the warranty through Costco this weekend I think.

Marc

post #8931 of 12811 Old 11-02-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know a thing about Costco, better read the fine print.

Third party warranties may not be all they're cracked up to be. 3rd party warranties run concurrent with manufacturers warranties, not in addition too. Just sayin.
sheshechic likes this.
post #8932 of 12811 Old 11-02-2013, 01:07 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I'm thinking it updated when you connected it via Ethernet. Admittedly I have no experience with the Panny yet (mines in transit) but it should know what version of software it's running.

All it did is detect if there was an update then said I was updated to the latest version. This isn't the case seeing it did not download anything and the tv did not reset or anything.

Next time there is an upgrade I am doing it via usb key. I found a usb key that is 256mb in FAT format.

post #8933 of 12811 Old 11-02-2013, 01:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilK View Post

I used an 8 GB USB stick from PNY to upgrade my firmware in my 60ST60 ... the TV had no problem reading the stick ... which is formatted to FAT32, the way it came off the shelf. I copied the file over from a Windows 64-bit system on which I had initially downloaded the zip file to and extracted onto.

I read somewhere I got the 0004 check media error because if you have the latest version already installed. So that issues is solved.

Regardless ever since I had to to the mandatory upgrade I can no longer connect to the internet via wifi and youtube stopped working even if I connect with ethernet.

post #8934 of 12811 Old 11-02-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post

can one buy square trade warranty from costco if the tv is not bought at costco?
I think you have to pay the Costco membership first. Then yes.

post #8935 of 12811 Old 11-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think you have to pay the Costco membership first. Then yes.

No, you can buy a warranty from them without a membership, you just have to pay a $5 surcharge which is a lot less than a $55 membership.
post #8936 of 12811 Old 11-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't know a thing about Costco, better read the fine print.

Third party warranties may not be all they're cracked up to be. 3rd party warranties run concurrent with manufacturers warranties, not in addition too. Just sayin.

Although SQ warranties do run concurrent to the manufacterer warranty, they don't cover the product while under the manufacterer's warranty. You have to deal with the manufacterer for the first year.
post #8937 of 12811 Old 11-02-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No, you can buy a warranty from them without a membership, you just have to pay a $5 surcharge which is a lot less than a $55 membership.
No doubt. Good to know.

post #8938 of 12811 Old 11-02-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Although SQ warranties do run concurrent to the manufacterer warranty, they don't cover the product while under the manufacterer's warranty. You have to deal with the manufacterer for the first year.
They actually do cover the product. ST stresses to you to deal with the manu because any claim on the ST warranty during the factory warranty will still be deducted from your ST amount. But if for some strange reason work has to be done while the factory warranty is in effect but the factory warranty doesnt cover it the ST warranty will.

post #8939 of 12811 Old 11-02-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They actually do cover the product. ST stresses to you to deal with the manu because any claim on the ST warranty during the factory warranty will still be deducted from your ST amount. But if for some strange reason work has to be done while the factory warranty is in effect but the factory warranty doesnt cover it the ST warranty will.

That sounds like it will be a fun time if it ever comes down to it. I do want an extended warranty and I have a little time to pick the right one, I just want to be sure.
post #8940 of 12811 Old 11-02-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Could someone with a 60ST60 please let me know the distance from the lower bezel to the base of the stand (or whatever flat surface you have it sitting on)? I need a platform for the tv to sit on so it clears my center channel and wanted to get a head start while I wait for it to arrive. Thanks!

Edit: sorry, I just saw this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2907Laz View Post

Just over 3½" for the 60". 90mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepNutz View Post

Hey everyone, I'm looking at the 60" version of this TV. I want to use the stand, but I have a center channel speaker that sits almost 4.5" high. Can someone please measure the height from the table you have the TV set on to the bottom of the actual display screen. I want to set the center speaker directly in front of the middle of the TV, but I'm worried that the speaker is too tall and will obstruct my view of the screen. Thanks.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page