Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 316 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9451 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 407
I have about 50 hours on my 60ST60. Is everyone leaving the pixel orbiter setting to on or auto? When are you doing the screen wipe? Is it too soon and how often?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9452 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Netflix super HD fantastic especially for animation looked wonderful on the ST60

Need for Speed PS4 & st60 scintillating

Liverpool v Everton on st60 now DTV hddvr... Amazing ......

TV is a beast
Bruuce likes this.

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #9453 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettinamonk View Post

So should pixel orbiter be turned to auto or on? I thought it was supposed to stay on to help with IR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky12 View Post

Yeah, I would keep it on even though most say it's snake oil... I keep it on. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

+1 Same here. I cant tell whether its on or off and it certainly wont hurt anything so I just leave it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettinamonk View Post

I'll leave it on then. What about the overscan, should that stay on or off? My previous sets didn't have the option.

Quote:

Off will give you the best picture quality.

About the pixel orbiter:

First, a preface: all of us are sensitive to different things. In the last few pages of this thread, we've heard people talking about buzzing, image retention, audio sync, black levels, etc... these are all real things, though for the most part, most people aren't particularly sensitive to real world impacts of most of them. However, most of us are probably sensitive to at least ONE of them. My sensitivity "thing" is matching the video output to the screen. In fact, this was a major driving factor pushing me to buy a new TV now... I could put up with my old 1080i plasma from 2006, with its awful (comparatively) black levels and all its other old-technology failings, but I could never abide that it was always off center-low with my HTPC, with no way to fix it, and it needed 1080i which didn't match the actual panel resolution. I finally had enough of the lack of sharpness and such. I wanted to output 1080p, and have each and every pixel of output signal line up with a pixel on the TV.

I love my 60ST60, and I've set it to pixel direct, with no overscan set up on either the TV or HTPC, and my output exactly matches the TV screen. I can show a 1x1 pixel grid across the whole screen and each pixel lines up where it should (as long as I don't use Windows Media Center, but that's another story... I use other players for everything except recorded TV).

So, back to pixel orbiter: it shifts things around. The edge of the device output no longer matches the edge of the screen, and it moves around variably. ICK! Absolutely unacceptable. During my setup phase I saw this and it drove me nuts. When displaying my HTPC desktop, the corner would be variably off by several pixels. I couldn't properly display scaling patterns. Now, I understand that this may help prevent IR/BI caused by static images, but I don't display long sessions of content containing this stuff. So Pixel Orbiter is off (set to "auto") and I'm happy. Would most people notice problems with pixel orbiter on? Probably not. Then again, most people don't read through AVS forum threads either. wink.gif For me, this is the thing I'm sensitive about, and I'm willing to take responsibility for minimizing static images in return for sidestepping whatever benefit pixel orbiter gives.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #9454 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 10:13 AM

Liked: 10
Can someone advise how I can access the Pro Settings menu on a TV/cable sourced input, when it's greyed out?

I was able to access it for the input with my AppleTV, no problem. But for some reason, the set won't let me access it for HDMI 1, with my cable. Picture is unacceptably green.

Any help would be much appreciated...

p.s. it's occurred to me switch the inputs, i.e. plug my Apple TV into HDMI 1, do the calibrating, and then switch back - but I won't be able to access the menu to verify that it retained the settings. Thoughts?
p.p.s. tried it and the pro settings menu remained greyed out, even with a different source. hmmmm...
post #9455 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloyd50 View Post

Can someone advise how I can access the Pro Settings menu on a TV/cable sourced input, when it's greyed out?

I was able to access it for the input with my AppleTV, no problem. But for some reason, the set won't let me access it for HDMI 1, with my cable. Picture is unacceptably green.

Any help would be much appreciated...

p.s. it's occurred to me switch the inputs, i.e. plug my Apple TV into HDMI 1, do the calibrating, and then switch back - but I won't be able to access the menu to verify that it retained the settings. Thoughts?
p.p.s. tried it and the pro settings menu remained greyed out, even with a different source. hmmmm...

Put the picture mode on custom or cinema, that's how I did it.
post #9456 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

About the pixel orbiter:

First, a preface: all of us are sensitive to different things. In the last few pages of this thread, we've heard people talking about buzzing, image retention, audio sync, black levels, etc... these are all real things, though for the most part, most people aren't particularly sensitive to real world impacts of most of them. However, most of us are probably sensitive to at least ONE of them. My sensitivity "thing" is matching the video output to the screen. In fact, this was a major driving factor pushing me to buy a new TV now... I could put up with my old 1080i plasma from 2006, with its awful (comparatively) black levels and all its other old-technology failings, but I could never abide that it was always off center-low with my HTPC, with no way to fix it, and it needed 1080i which didn't match the actual panel resolution. I finally had enough of the lack of sharpness and such. I wanted to output 1080p, and have each and every pixel of output signal line up with a pixel on the TV.

I love my 60ST60, and I've set it to pixel direct, with no overscan set up on either the TV or HTPC, and my output exactly matches the TV screen. I can show a 1x1 pixel grid across the whole screen and each pixel lines up where it should (as long as I don't use Windows Media Center, but that's another story... I use other players for everything except recorded TV).

So, back to pixel orbiter: it shifts things around. The edge of the device output no longer matches the edge of the screen, and it moves around variably. ICK! Absolutely unacceptable. During my setup phase I saw this and it drove me nuts. When displaying my HTPC desktop, the corner would be variably off by several pixels. I couldn't properly display scaling patterns. Now, I understand that this may help prevent IR/BI caused by static images, but I don't display long sessions of content containing this stuff. So Pixel Orbiter is off (set to "auto") and I'm happy. Would most people notice problems with pixel orbiter on? Probably not. Then again, most people don't read through AVS forum threads either. wink.gif For me, this is the thing I'm sensitive about, and I'm willing to take responsibility for minimizing static images in return for sidestepping whatever benefit pixel orbiter gives.

Marc

Thanks for the reply. I literally can't tell by the picture if it's on or off or auto, makes me wonder how much it could help. I doubt it could hurt though.
post #9457 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Put the picture mode on custom or cinema, that's how I did it.

Ah - got it. Thanks so much!
post #9458 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I have about 50 hours on my 60ST60. Is everyone leaving the pixel orbiter setting to on or auto? When are you doing the screen wipe? Is it too soon and how often?
On or auto is completely up to you. Either way it wont hurt anything. Use the screen wipe as often and as long as necessary. It will cause no harm.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #9459 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On or auto is completely up to you. Either way it wont hurt anything. Use the screen wipe as often and as long as necessary. It will cause no harm.

Great, thanks.
post #9460 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloyd50 View Post

Ah - got it. Thanks so much!

Your welcome.
post #9461 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone have any wireless issues?

I cannot use anything via wireless. It connects, gets an IP, passes the test, but will not connect to anything network related, nor do a software update.

Connect via Ethernet and no problems.

My setup is a Windows 2012 Enterprise server running DHCP/DNS but I have tried using Google DNS's instead of my own internal DNS. Ubiquiti Wireless N access points. No problems with any other wireless device and I probably have 15 in the house.

I am running the newest firmware. When it fails to connect to a network service I can go back and rerun the test and it says its connecting fine. DLNA, Netflix, software update, etc, nothing works.
post #9462 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 05:21 PM

Liked: 35
I'm embarrassed to ask this stupid question but here goes........

Bought the 50" version last Saturday and Sunday began to watch hours of full screen only content on blu-ray player. So far tv has about 50 hours of viewing. Have seen no evidence of IR and movies look spectacular. Last night watching "The Two Towers" again was like seeing it for the first time.
Tonights viewing pleasure includes an episode of Columbo and "The Return of the King"

However.........

I could have sworn that just a few days ago the picture filled the ENTIRE screen on ZOOM, I mean right smack to the edge of it's lovely silver bezel. Now I notice about 1/8 " black all the way around the screen.
I have it zoomed in as far as it will zoom and even tried adjusting the Zoom Adjustment but the 1/8" is still there.

My husband says it has always been there and that I simply didn't notice it before. In any case it doesn't bother him at all and to be honest it isn't really annoying to me either as it is so small it almost cannot be seen. I should add that I did see it today when the tv was turned off. Just a very small dark "frame" so-to-speak all around the edge of the screen.

I'm just wondering if I am indeed getting so old now that I don't even remember what I'm seeing day to day or have I somehow messed up my tv.

Again apologies for the lame question but it's our first plasma and we are both learning the nuances of such by reading the manual and these forums.

An "Analog Kid" in a digital world
post #9463 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushfan2112 View Post

Bought the 50" version last Saturday and Sunday began to watch hours of full screen only content on blu-ray player. So far tv has about 50 hours of viewing. Have seen no evidence of IR and movies look spectacular. Last night watching "The Two Towers" again was like seeing it for the first time.
Tonights viewing pleasure includes an episode of Columbo and "The Return of the King"

However.........

I could have sworn that just a few days ago the picture filled the ENTIRE screen on ZOOM, I mean right smack to the edge of it's lovely silver bezel. Now I notice about 1/8 " black all the way around the screen.
I have it zoomed in as far as it will zoom and even tried adjusting the Zoom Adjustment but the 1/8" is still there.

My husband says it has always been there and that I simply didn't notice it before. In any case it doesn't bother him at all and to be honest it isn't really annoying to me either as it is so small it almost cannot be seen. I should add that I did see it today when the tv was turned off. Just a very small dark "frame" so-to-speak all around the edge of the screen.

I'm just wondering if I am indeed getting so old now that I don't even remember what I'm seeing day to day or have I somehow messed up my tv.

Again apologies for the lame question but it's our first plasma and we are both learning the nuances of such by reading the manual and these forums.

Your husband is correct. smile.gif There is a slight black edge on the screen.
rushfan2112 likes this.
post #9464 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by teevman View Post

Quote:

However.........

It's easy to miss. There are no pixels in that area so you're not missing anything.

I hope you're not zooming everything you watch. The black bars are there to preserve the movies' image as created by the director. wink.gif
rushfan2112 likes this.
post #9465 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:

Thank you so much teevman!! Hubby was right and he says thank you as well wink.gif I guess I am getting too old biggrin.gif

post #9466 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

It's easy to miss. There are no pixels in that area so you're not missing anything.

I hope you're not zooming everything you watch. The black bars are there to preserve the movies' image as created by the director. wink.gif

And thank you for your response htwaits. This is a relief, even though it does indicate my advancing age biggrin.gif

I admit I am indeed zooming in everything as I read it was the right thing to do for the first 100 or so hours in order to "break in" the pixels evenly since I am not running slides.
I did consider the slides however we were so excited when we brought it home we simply wanted to watch it. I won't keep it on "Zoom" forever. Although Aragorn sure looks handsome that close up biggrin.gif

And to everyone who said this set was outstanding? You were correct. I can honestly say there is no buyers remorse now. I was hesitant to buy it what with the property tax bill coming in a few weeks but I don't care about that anymore!! LOL smile.gif

Merry Christmas to us

post #9467 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 06:40 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Liked: 464
Quote:

I could have sworn that just a few days ago the picture filled the ENTIRE screen on ZOOM, I mean right smack to the edge of it's lovely silver bezel. Now I notice about 1/8 " black all the way around the screen. I have it zoomed in as far as it will zoom and even tried adjusting the Zoom Adjustment but the 1/8" is still there. My husband says it has always been there and that I simply didn't notice it before. In any case it doesn't bother him at all and to be honest it isn't really annoying to me either as it is so small it almost cannot be seen. I should add that I did see it today when the tv was turned off. Just a very small dark "frame" so-to-speak all around the edge of the screen.

Hubby is right wink.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8940#post_23904417
rushfan2112 likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #9468 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

And thank you for your response htwaits. This is a relief, even though it does indicate my advancing age biggrin.gif

I admit I am indeed zooming in everything as I read it was the right thing to do for the first 100 or so hours in order to "break in" the pixels evenly since I am not running slides.
I did consider the slides however we were so excited when we brought it home we simply wanted to watch it. I won't keep it on "Zoom" forever. Although Aragorn sure looks handsome that close up biggrin.gif

And to everyone who said this set was outstanding? You were correct. I can honestly say there is no buyers remorse now. I was hesitant to buy it what with the property tax bill coming in a few weeks but I don't care about that anymore!! LOL smile.gif

Merry Christmas to us
You're doing fine. As you build up hours on your set be sure to mix what you watch and that will minimize the chance of serious image retention. My wife watches hockey and I watch football, but we mix in a lot of movies from shinny disks. If you watch a TV channel with a bright high contrast fixed image then use zoom any time it won't interfere with your enjoyment. Also, if you rent or own older DVD movies and get one with black bars on the sides and the top and bottom, then that's the best time to use zoom. You will still see all the image and it will be in the right aspect ratio.

Enjoy. smile.gif
rushfan2112 likes this.
post #9469 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Has anyone used a ColorMunki Display to calibrate one of these TVs?

Results?
post #9470 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozman View Post

Owner of a Pioneer Kuro 5020 flawless display, LOVE IT, purchased it a month before Pioneer announced it was leaving the business. Heard that all there techs went to Panasonic right after that, and new that if I was in the market for a new TV again then Panasonic was the way to go, convinced my father to bye a Panasonic 50" Plasma 2 years ago and sure enough its my turn now. My secondary TV (10 year old Toshiba DLP) blew its second bulb, and I believe its time to kick it to the curb. Was thinking about going with LED this time, but I keep going back to Plasma for there solid "black" levels and excellent display for sport watching due to the refresh rates. NOW the news of Panasonic stopping production is even more of a concern, cause personally Plasma's are the best in my mind.

Was pretty much sold on the 50" S60 a few weeks ago, since it fit my budget ($1000? or below) and I had no terrible need for 3D or Smart-TV features. Then as always happens have been reviewing allot of websites and have kind of fallen in love with the 50" ST60, however its an extra $400-$500 more. up here in Canada. mad.gif HOWEVER I am price protected tell January 3rd, so I would think that this set would drop in price closer we get to Christmas? is that possible or is it a supply demand issue due to no more production from Panasonic.

Of course the wife doesn't want to spend the extra money for 3D / Smart-TV but I am trying to convince her that the picture quality is better on the ST60, and its more then likely the better way to go. I am personally sitting on the fence with this one. At the time I don't really want a Display that trumps my Pioneer (quite frankly I don't think there is one on the market still to this day cool.gif) BUT I feel that the ST60 is the better bang for the buck.

Can any of you ST60 owners convenience me to go with the ST60 over the S60? please.....smile.gif Usually I always spend the extra buck for the better picture like I did 7 years ago with my Pioneer Kuro.

Only HUGE draw back is, the ST60 set is going for $1299 @ BB (Canada) meanwhile the S60 is $775 @ BB (Canada).

And on another note, how does the ST60 compare with my current main display Pioneer Kuro 5020?

Thanks for any input......

Get her to see them side by side, the S60 looks terrible (to me at least, black looks grey) (or just lie and buy the ST and don't show her the bill smile.gif )
post #9471 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 09:42 PM

looking at buying the 65" ST60, in Canada the best price I can find is $2,200. And I found a 65| VT60 for $3,450

That is a great deal, but it also 50% more money.

For those of you that own the ST60, would you pay $1200 more for the VT60??

I'm leaning towards no, the reviews on the ST are amazing, and I doubt the difference between the ST and VT is much different. I have seen them side by side in a bright lit showroom. I can't see a $1200 difference
post #9472 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyHere View Post

looking at buying the 65" ST60, in Canada the best price I can find is $2,200. And I found a 65| VT60 for $3,450

I'm leaning towards no, the reviews on the ST are amazing, and I doubt the difference between the ST and VT is much different. I have seen them side by side in a bright lit showroom. I can't see a $1200 difference

JMHO of course but since you asked I would NOT spend $1,200 more. That extra $$$ can pay alot of bills or buy addition home theater equipment. I'm certainly not saying that the VT isn't a "better" set per se, merely that I know that in my case, I would hardly be able to tell the difference.

And I would be relieved at the money saved smile.gif

post #9473 of 12815 Old 11-23-2013, 10:01 PM

Liked: 40
Quote:

JMHO of course but since you asked I would NOT spend $1,200 more. That extra $$$ can pay alot of bills or buy addition home theater equipment. I'm certainly not saying that the VT isn't a "better" set per se, merely that I know that in my case, I would hardly be able to tell the difference.

And I would be relieved at the money saved smile.gif

Of course, it he were to spend $400 of that saved money on an ISF- calbration of the ST60, he wouldn't even miss the VT60. biggrin.gif
post #9474 of 12815 Old 11-24-2013, 01:20 AM

When running wow's pixel flipper, does it make any difference if i set
contrast, color and brightness to 100 ?

confused.gif

Thanks
post #9475 of 12815 Old 11-24-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi,I have the 60ST60 and have been using it for about a week now. I'm just using the custom setting and tweaked it very little. Comcast HD looks very good and I only watched WWZ on BD and it looked amazing. As far as I'm concerned I would not pay the 50% more for by all accounts just a little better PQ. Granted I haven't seen the VT60 or the ZT60, I'm sure their great but the ST is amazing!
post #9476 of 12815 Old 11-24-2013, 05:03 AM

Liked: 20
Now that I've ordered the 55" ST60 and cool my heals waiting for delivery I have had time to revisit the reviews and specs. I noticed something I had not before. On the Amazon page for the ST60 there is a Panasonic product info sheet which lists "shades of gradation" at 24,576 steps. Right underneath that is a comparison chart that lists 12,288 steps. I have been thinking the lower number was the correct one but now I am not sure. In comparison, the VT/ZT are 30,720 and the S60 is 6,144. Can anyone please help clarify which number is correct for the ST60?
post #9477 of 12815 Old 11-24-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu68 View Post

When running wow's pixel flipper, does it make any difference if i set
contrast, color and brightness to 100 ?

confused.gif

Thanks
I dont think color and brightness will help but it will probably help if you set the contrast at 100.
Snafu68 likes this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #9478 of 12815 Old 11-24-2013, 08:10 AM

Hi,

Apologies if this is a repost. I have searched the thread and can't find any info.

I am thinking of buying a 55" ST60 and need to know the time it takes between hitting the power button on the remote and the tv actually displaying an image.

I remember in the past that older plasmas used to take a while to actually display from the time you hit the power button on the remote.

Thanks for your help!
post #9479 of 12815 Old 11-24-2013, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

It's the aspect ratio of the movie that you are watching it might be narrower then 1.85:1 it is likely 1.79:1 so there still will be a little strip of black top and bottom , if you zoom 2.35.1, it will fill the screen all the way to the edge but not right to the edge meeting the bezel , it's the way the tv is designed.
post #9480 of 12815 Old 11-24-2013, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

The VT60 is a better tv it's up to you really if it's worth it. The ST60 is the best bang for the buck , check the reviews , do some research on both tv's. I own the ST60 and love it. The vt60 has a better anti reflection filter on the screen , better colors, contrast, black levels etc. It is a better tv.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page