post #9541 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

No, the different settings are not different experts' differing opinions of what the optimal image should look like. The different settings are merely the settings they used to achieve a *calibrated* picture (for color temp/balance, grayscale, etc.), using test patterns and measuring equipment. The reason the settings are all different is because all of the TVs are different and need different corrections to get to that reference calibration.

There's a reason experts don't post their calibration settings, only their before/after reports. If you look through the "after" reports, they are pretty much all the same.

True. Each set is different. Each set of eyes is different. The point being after a set is calibrated some may or may not like that particular presentation on their set. To each his own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9542 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 11:31 AM

Liked: 11
I am running the slides and when the white color comes there is a slight hmmm sound.. Also I see a flash sometimes when the color changes to white. Is these things normal? Also white stays for a long time. Of course my basement is dead silent. So when I go back to the TV I hear them.
post #9543 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

There are some who feel break in with slides is just a waist of energy.

You can add me to that list.
post #9544 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Because CNET does not provide slides for people to use to accelerate the conditioning process to prepare the phosphors for being calibrated.

That doesn't keep people from running D-Nice's slides before inputting CNET's settings.
post #9545 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Collins View Post

Running the slides has NOTHING to do with IR or burn-in prevention, or creation.

Isn't this what I said? You're quoting the wrong person. I'm not the one saying people run slides to reduce IR. Go back a few more posts.
post #9546 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 407
So who are "we" to tell people how they want to break in their ST60 or any other panel? Hey if you want to run slides or just change up your content it's up to you, that goes for which settings to use also. I've heard people say they like so and so's settings and also hear them say they didn't. For $30 I'm going to get one of the popular setup discs and if I don't like that I'll tweak my settings, but I'll bet I come away with a new understanding of my panel. This is my first smart TV and my first plasma, and it looks like jumped on board at the right time because this is amazing when you consider the price wink.gif
post #9547 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 11:48 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Cholan View Post

I am running the slides and when the white color comes there is a slight hmmm sound.. Also I see a flash sometimes when the color changes to white. Is these things normal? Also white stays for a long time. Of course my basement is dead silent. So when I go back to the TV I hear them.

The noise is normal but if it's too loud then you might have a problem. Mine hums on the white slides also but when you're watching TV, you shouldn't be able to hear it.
RR Cholan likes this.
post #9548 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
After reading reports of the red tint in blacks experienced by some of those who input D-Nice's settings after running the slides I am leaning more toward using cadett's settings. What I want to know is should I input those settings right when I get my ST60 or input them after 300 hours? I'm still uncertain if I will run D-Nice's slides or just display full screen content, i.e. Pixar blu-rays for the first 100 hours. I've used the slides on 3 previous plasmas, in part to input D-Nice's settings, but also to quickly get hours on the displays to check for infant mortality.
post #9549 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 459
You can put them in after 100 hours but your set may still be changing so results may vary. I can confirm from the calibrations I have done that any significant changes in the cuts causes discoloration, of course that can be calibrated out. This set seems very sensitive on the two point front in the lower end.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #9550 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 12:11 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

Everyone I've seen on here with IR issues has been past 100 hours so I don't know how much good running slides is for IR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

Isn't this what I said? You're quoting the wrong person. I'm not the one saying people run slides to reduce IR. Go back a few more posts.

I apologize if I misquoted, but the first line above makes it sound like you were thinking the slides were supposed to help reduce IR.

Again, my apologies for the mistake.
post #9551 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 12:16 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

No, the different settings are not different experts' differing opinions of what the optimal image should look like. The different settings are merely the settings they used to achieve a *calibrated* picture (for color temp/balance, grayscale, etc.), using test patterns and measuring equipment. The reason the settings are all different is because all of the TVs are different and need different corrections to get to that reference calibration.

There's a reason experts don't post their calibration settings, only their before/after reports. If you look through the "after" reports, they are pretty much all the same.

To add to that, everyone needs to remember, inputting someone else's settings does not equate to having a calibrated television, regardless of who's settings you use. Even if you have 2 of the same models in 2 different rooms, calibrating only one and then copying those settings to the second, doesn't make the second set "calibrated."
post #9552 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

To add to that, everyone needs to remember, inputting someone else's settings does not equate to having a calibrated television, regardless of who's settings you use. Even if you have 2 of the same models in 2 different rooms, calibrating only one and then copying those settings to the second, doesn't make the second set "calibrated."

And just because a set is "calibrated" doesn't mean that a particular owner may like that image as "calibrated". I would imagine most would, but as has been stated before, to each his own. Regardless of how one adjusts their set, the ST60 series certainly has the potential to provide an outstanding picture. Too bad they are pulling the plug (no pun intended) on the plasma line.
post #9553 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 12:58 PM

Liked: 53
Why do you even have to cover it? Just leave it on and let it breathe
sheshechic likes this.
post #9554 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggindude View Post

Hi,

I'm getting these vertical lines on white or bright screens. Is this normal? I thought white backgrounds are completely white? Is this a uniformity issue? Thanks.

Assuming the 4 dots is your flash that looks normal.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #9555 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggindude View Post

Hi,

I'm getting these vertical lines on white or bright screens. Is this normal? I thought white backgrounds are completely white? Is this a uniformity issue? Thanks.

Did you clean the screen? If so how?

post #9556 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Cholan View Post

All normal. The white doesnt stay on any longer than the rest. There are 2 light colored slides in a row. Like a white and very light grey.
RR Cholan likes this.

post #9557 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 01:36 PM

Liked: 15
Maybe a couple of weeks ago, my daughter was putting her hands on the screen so cleaned the screen with a lint free cloth that is slightly dampened with water.

edit* meant to quote Sheshechic.
post #9558 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 02:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSooner42 View Post

Hey everyone! I just purchased an ST60, and I am presently running D-Nice's slides and plan to use his calibration settings. I purchased the Disney WOW calibration disc earlier in the year, and my question is, do you recommend using the disc after the slides and adjustments? Thanks in advance!

Quick bump in hopes for some advice! Thanks!
post #9559 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I apologize if I misquoted, but the first line above makes it sound like you were thinking the slides were supposed to help reduce IR.

Again, my apologies for the mistake.

That was a reply to the last paragraph in post # 9523: "Most of the people who use the slides that are part of D-Nice's procedure are just trying to put safe hours on the set to reduce the chance of image retention. "

I was disagreeing with that statement.

I should have quoted, I guess I was just too lazy at 5:00 AM.

Sorry for the confusion.
post #9560 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thats a very good plan.

post #9561 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

You got any real data to prove the white screen aging process? Ive never heard of that and it just doesn't sound right.
There is no data about break in that I have seen, and if there was how many units where tested? There is unit variation and a ton of other variations. You would have to get 3 units and break in properly ( per say ) then have 3 units not broken in, then re test them about once a year, then you would have a test with results...... That is why I say it is a preference, and who is right in the end ?
post #9562 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

There is no data about break in that I have seen, and if there was how many units where tested? There is unit variation and a ton of other variations. You would have to get 3 units and break in properly ( per say ) then have 3 units not broken in, then re test them about once a year, then you would have a test with results...... That is why I say it is a preference, and who is right in the end ?
I completely understand.
PooperScooper was quick to point out that there is no real data to prove the slides work and suggested a better method. I was asking him if he had any real data to show that his method works better. Or at all even. But he has not responded yet.

post #9563 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 06:47 PM

FWIW: I've implemented D-Nice's settings on my 60ST60 with firmware version 2720-10301 on the Custom setting set, and CNET (D Katzmeier)'s settings on Cinema, and lived with each for a couple of days. CNET's to my eyes are more accurate, at least on my set. This is especially noticeable with facial tones, for me.

Just a heads up, YMMV.
post #9564 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

Quote:

Hey everyone! I just purchased an ST60, and I am presently running D-Nice's slides and plan to use his calibration settings. I purchased the Disney WOW calibration disc earlier in the year, and my question is, do you recommend using the disc after the slides and adjustments? Thanks in advance!

Sure. Using someone else's settings is just a starting point.
post #9565 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the replies! The hours can't pass quick enough - 50 to go!
post #9566 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
OK, someone please show me the error of my ways. I can't seem to get the copy settings to work.

Been using my 60ST60 for five weeks now, using "factory default Cinema plus some small tweaks of my own" in the Cinema profile. Got it pretty close in the first week, then had other things to occupy my time.

Finally started playing around in earnest with settings and wanted to copy my Cinema settings over to Custom. There in Custom, I would make small edits and be able to compare back and forth with my original "Cinema" profile.

So, with Cinema mode as the current picture mode, I went into the picture settings, found the Copy Settings function, set the destination to be "Custom" and "All Inputs" (also tried just HDMI1, which is the only one I use), and selected the start copy. There was a confirmation, made sure it was set properly, and told it to proceed. It instantly went back to the main picture settings menu... I assumed success.

But when I went to the Custom mode to verify, nothing had changed. The settings weren't copied. I tried this a dozen times. All inputs, or just HDMI1, etc... Though it gave me no error code, it never actually changed any settings.

What am I doing wrong? I must be either really stupid, or I'm doing something fundamentally wrong.

Also, how come it can't copy over to any of the other modes? Home Theater mode actually looks pretty good, if a bit on the bright side. I'd be interested to copy those over and tweak the details, since HT mode doesn't give access to all the menus. Is there some way to get this done?

Thanks in advance!

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #9567 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

Been using my 60ST60 for five weeks now, using "factory default Cinema plus some small tweaks of my own" in the Cinema profile. Got it pretty close in the first week, then had other things to occupy my time.

Finally started playing around in earnest with settings and wanted to copy my Cinema settings over to Custom. There in Custom, I would make small edits and be able to compare back and forth with my original "Cinema" profile.

You can't compare Custom and Cinema that way because they measure differently with the same settings. What you can do is set up the same mode on different inputs with the same settings and switch between those inputs. I've determined my PC and Sony S5100 BD player measure identically with the same source material, and I do this to compare calibrations. While not available on the supplied remote, Panasonic still supports discrete commands for direct input selection, and I've used a JP1 remote to get those commands into my Sony RM-VL610. This lets me switch between sources with one button press, and it takes about a second for the TV to switch. This is a lot better than dealing with the TV's input selection menu for A/B testing.
Quote:
So, with Cinema mode as the current picture mode, I went into the picture settings, found the Copy Settings function, set the destination to be "Custom" and "All Inputs" (also tried just HDMI1, which is the only one I use), and selected the start copy. There was a confirmation, made sure it was set properly, and told it to proceed. It instantly went back to the main picture settings menu... I assumed success.

But when I went to the Custom mode to verify, nothing had changed. The settings weren't copied. I tried this a dozen times. All inputs, or just HDMI1, etc... Though it gave me no error code, it never actually changed any settings.

What am I doing wrong? I must be either really stupid, or I'm doing something fundamentally wrong.

I get a big ol' "Copy completed!" message after performing the copy with my 50ST60, and exiting it takes me back to "Copy adjustments". You OTOH are being taken "instantly back to the main picture settings menu" after you perform the copy. I can't explain that. I've been using the "Copy adjustment" feature since I got the TV back in April, and it's always worked for me. What you described is what I do. I looked for a "Lock settings" feature that might interfere with this but didn't find one. I did turn off Viera Link when I first got the TV, and I wouldn't expect this to have any effect on the copy feature, but you never know...
Marc_G likes this.
post #9568 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 08:11 PM

Liked: 11
Hey guys,

Just got a ST60 60" about a month ago and I did the 100hr slides and plugged in DNice settings. Loved the picture, was above my expectations.

However, a couple weeks later when I made a separate input for my gaming mode settings(DNice settings but with gaming mode on and sharpness increased) I started to notice image retention. The line of the goal post in fifa was stuck on the screen. It went away in about 15 seconds but I was like woah , how could that happen? Following that about a week later, everytime I opened my TV and closed the smart hub to go to fullscreen, the screen would literally retain after leaving the thing open for merely 10secs at most. Since getting a PS4 ive been experiencing SEVERE image retention with the ST60, can't even leave something up for 10secs without it staying up. So I decided to return the TV.

Its unfortunate because I loved the picture quality. The image retention is just too distracting to put up with. After searching online I couldn't really find anyone complaining about these issues with the TV so I decided to try my luck with a second set. Fingers crossed it doesn't have the same issues.

I was just so surprised because I thought this was a problem of the past with Plasma. I have a 2yr old Samsung plasma 5500 and until now there has never been one instance of retention.

Has anyone here experienced these IR issues as well? Do you guys honestly just think I got a defective panel?

Thanks
post #9569 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadco View Post

Hey guys,

Just got a ST60 60" about a month ago and I did the 100hr slides and plugged in DNice settings. Loved the picture, was above my expectations.

However, a couple weeks later when I made a separate input for my gaming mode settings(DNice settings but with gaming mode on and sharpness increased) I started to notice image retention. The line of the goal post in fifa was stuck on the screen. It went away in about 15 seconds but I was like woah , how could that happen? Following that about a week later, everytime I opened my TV and closed the smart hub to go to fullscreen, the screen would literally retain after leaving the thing open for merely 10secs at most. Since getting a PS4 ive been experiencing SEVERE image retention with the ST60, can't even leave something up for 10secs without it staying up. So I decided to return the TV.

Its unfortunate because I loved the picture quality. The image retention is just too distracting to put up with. After searching online I couldn't really find anyone complaining about these issues with the TV so I decided to try my luck with a second set. Fingers crossed it doesn't have the same issues.

I was just so surprised because I thought this was a problem of the past with Plasma. I have a 2yr old Samsung plasma 5500 and until now there has never been one instance of retention.

Has anyone here experienced these IR issues as well? Do you guys honestly just think I got a defective panel?

Thanks

You got a defective TV. I can pause static images for a few minutes minumum without seeing anything afterwards, it's been that way since day one for me.
post #9570 of 12744 Old 11-25-2013, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

The fastest way to age phosphors is to put up an all white screen and turn contrast all the way up. Slides are pretty much a waste of time. There's no real data that shows they help compared to just watching the panel.

larry

D-Nice' is the one person on this forum that know more about Plasma TV's than anyone else. He had been doing this procedure for years with many brands. I am sure he thinks that it has relevance or he wouldn't post them. I know that a professional calibration is the only way to ensure the best settings for a specific panel but those who can't afford a professional calibration do have a chance to get a quality picture by using his procedure. If that person doesn't like the picture after using his settings then they can try their own settings. To me 4 days of running slides is no big deal if I have the possibility of getting a better picture as a result.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page