Forum Jump: 

post #9721 of 12864 Old 12-01-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Jagerx9,

What are you using to test for input lag? I ask because most people here, including myself, do not notice it at all.

Regarding break-in period, try to be careful the first 100~150 hours, as you are (no static logos for extended periods, no black bars for extended periods). Also, beyond the break-in period, I've noticed that lowering Contrast (max white level) from my normal setting of 80 to 70 or 65 really reduces the strength/risk of IR (when playing games with static HUDs, etc.).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9722 of 12864 Old 12-01-2013, 01:05 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Jagerx9,

What are you using to test for input lag? I ask because most people here, including myself, do not notice it at all.

Regarding break-in period, try to be careful the first 100~150 hours, as you are (no static logos for extended periods, no black bars for extended periods). Also, beyond the break-in period, I've noticed that lowering Contrast (max white level) from my normal setting of 80 to 70 or 65 really reduces the strength/risk of IR (when playing games with static HUDs, etc.).

Thanks for the reply.. I'm using completely non-quantitative measures here. I hooked up my PC briefly to test this. While I didn't try it for very long to avoid IR from the UI, I definitely "felt" it. It's more noticable than I expected it to be. I believe I can probably live with it, but it's something I believe can be corrected via FW. Would be nice to know where Panasonic sits on that.

I'll lower the contrast. Thanks!

post #9723 of 12864 Old 12-01-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Were you just on the desktop, or playing a game? It might be more noticeable when using a mouse+keyboard. But for console gaming, the large majority, at least here on AVS, notice nothing.
teevman likes this.
post #9724 of 12864 Old 12-01-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBruceleeroy View Post

Just finished the slides(No Blanket!!) and putting in D-Nices settings and... DAMN THIS TV IS INCREDIBLE.
Did you cheat on the slides ? Tell the truth........
post #9725 of 12864 Old 12-01-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 408
What are you guys keeping the motion smoother on? I have mine set to medium and thinking it could look a little better watching football today.
post #9726 of 12864 Old 12-01-2013, 02:56 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Did you cheat on the slides ? Tell the truth........

Ha nope. smile.gif 100 hours solid
post #9727 of 12864 Old 12-01-2013, 03:52 PM

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBruceleeroy View Post

Just finished the slides(No Blanket!!) and putting in D-Nices settings and... DAMN THIS TV IS INCREDIBLE.

I put in KZSF, WIND WAKER HD and DARK KNIGHT and the PQ is unreal. Its a pretty big leap from the W900 which I did not expect.
So happy with this thing. Also not noticing any Input lag.

So glad I listened to you guys.
Thanks for all the input and patience everyone showed since I know I asked a lot of crazy questions.

Yep, I felt the same way back in May after putting 300 hours on the slides before loading up DNice's settings. Totally blown away was I from this plasma's picture quality and this coming from an isf-calibrated Sony CRT that I had been very happy with til now. I'm happy to report now that after 3000 hours, this satisfaction continues.

Glad your Panny was receptive to DNice's settings. smile.gif
post #9728 of 12864 Old 12-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

What are you guys keeping the motion smoother on? I have mine set to medium and thinking it could look a little better watching football today.

I've turned mine all the way off. Even on "low" I got odd jitteriness in TV & movie playback. FWIW, my only source of input to the TV is an HTPC, so this may have some bearing. Sports via a cable box may require different optimization than sports via an HTPC.

:-)

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #9729 of 12864 Old 12-01-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

I've turned mine all the way off. Even on "low" I got odd jitteriness in TV & movie playback. FWIW, my only source of input to the TV is an HTPC, so this may have some bearing. Sports via a cable box may require different optimization than sports via an HTPC.

:-)

Marc

Good info Marc thanks.
post #9730 of 12864 Old 12-01-2013, 06:40 PM

Liked: 10
Received the 60ST60 last week. Underwhelming at first, but once I turned off Eco mode, CATS, and took the picture out of Standard mode and into Home Theater mode, much better. Not bothering with the slides this time, just mixing up viewing content. As expected much better than the Panasonic 58S1 I bought in 2009; the S1 was terrible at handling ambient light but the ST60 is much better. I've always wondered how much better the ZT60 would be with its even better filter.

While moving some of my other electronics around, I accidentally unplugged the tv while it was on and plugged it back in seconds later. Did that damage the tv in any way?
post #9731 of 12864 Old 12-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswer_03 View Post

While moving some of my other electronics around, I accidentally unplugged the tv while it was on and plugged it back in seconds later. Did that damage the tv in any way?

No.

One thing I noticed about this TV when the power went out here is if the power is on and it loses power the TV will be on when power is restored. I don't like that. Here in the Rockies it's not uncommon for the power to go out and I don't want the TV turning back on in the middle of the night or when I'm not here. My other Panny plasmas aren't like that.
post #9732 of 12864 Old 12-01-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

No.

One thing I noticed about this TV when the power went out here is if the power is on and it loses power the TV will be on when power is restored. I don't like that. Here in the Rockies it's not uncommon for the power to go out and I don't want the TV turning back on in the middle of the night or when I'm not here. My other Panny plasmas aren't like that.

Alright, thanks for the reply. I've had the power go out on my computer and older tv's before during lightning storms and no problems thus far.
post #9733 of 12864 Old 12-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswer_03 View Post

Alright, thanks for the reply. I've had the power go out on my computer and older tv's before during lightning storms and no problems thus far.

It's when the power comes back on during outages that causes problems, voltage can spike way up when power is being restored. I unplug all electronics when the power goes out if I'm home and don't plug them back in until it's restored for good, it sometimes comes on and goes back off multiple times here before it's back on to stay.
post #9734 of 12864 Old 12-01-2013, 08:16 PM

Liked: 35
Has anyone here been successful in purchasing additional sets of 3d glasses?

The two that comes with the new tv's are model #TY-ER3D5MA. I have looked all over the web, even Panasonic's website does not sell this model.

We like these glasses, they worked great last night when we watched The Polar Express and it would be nice to buy a couple to have on hand.

I thinking of getting the cheaper Samsung glasses for my clumsy brother and twin ten year old nephews to use when they come over. There is no way these delicate expensive Panny's can survive that crew biggrin.gif

An "Analog Kid" in a digital world
post #9735 of 12864 Old 12-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushfan2112 View Post

Has anyone here been successful in purchasing additional sets of 3d glasses?

The two that comes with the new tv's are model #TY-ER3D5MA. I have looked all over the web, even Panasonic's website does not sell this model.

We like these glasses, they worked great last night when we watched The Polar Express and it would be nice to buy a couple to have on hand.

I thinking of getting the cheaper Samsung glasses for my clumsy brother and twin ten year old nephews to use when they come over. There is no way these delicate expensive Panny's can survive that crew biggrin.gif

Where do you see that model number? The sticker on the outside of mine, I haven't opened them yet, has 3DMG32900661 on it and the paper inside has N5ZZ00000325 on it.
post #9736 of 12864 Old 12-01-2013, 09:39 PM

A question about center channel speakers and the 60ST60 - this set will replace a Sony 60A3000 with which I used an Omnimount center channel speaker shelf to hold my Athena center on top of the Sony's cabinet at a slight downward angle to align with our ears on the reclining sofa. The speaker weighs about 12.5 pounds and sits at the front of the shelf in line with the screen and is supported at the rear with adjustable legs resting at an angle on the Sony cabinet. I will probably have to construct new rear legs to extend down to the oak cabinet that our TV sits on to make this work with the thin ST60 set. Does anyone know from experience or information if this arrangement will cause any problem for the ST60?

Thanks to all the contributors to this most helpful thread!

Bill
post #9737 of 12864 Old 12-02-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Have you gone into Help and checked out the audio and sound sections? The Help function replaced the owner's manual we used to get in print.

HELP doesn't helped me. Although it says that HDMI has 2 channels audio. But I don't figure out why it downmix the 5.1 dolby digital to 2 stereo.

@laspo: I didn't try with DLNA but I thik it will work. In generaly OTA it maigt be working.

But I need through HDMI because I use lage BlueRay discs.

post #9738 of 12864 Old 12-02-2013, 03:06 AM

Quote:

Hi mdc007-

I went through this with my ATI Radeon HD 5670 about a month ago. Look for my posts in this thread starting 10/18 and for a week or two after. Turns out it was easy, once I knew how. Try this:

On the ATI control panel:
1. Make sure you're at 1080p60
2. Turn off all the scaling stuff. Very important.
3. For now, turn off all the post processing stuff.
4. I settled on pixel format RGB 4:4:4 limited

On the TV:
A. Turn ON the "Pixel Direct" mode. You want to map each output pixel to a physical pixel on the panel... this is how!
B. Make sure you don't have any overscan correction. I think it's "size 1" in the options that should give you standard size.
C. Turn OFF (all the way off!) motion smoothing
D. Pixel Orbiter: I turned this off ("auto") because it annoyed me that my desktop edge would "orbit" around and not always align to the edge of the screen.
E. I turned On the game mode... this took a little video lag out of the equation (maybe 20 msec worth, as I recall) but didn't really change visual quality much
F. I think I turned off 3:2 pulldown ... with my current settings I believe it's greyed out

Also, make sure your HDMI cable is decent quality. I spent $7 for an up to date one, replacing the one I got in 2005 for my extremely old Panny plasma from that era.

I'll look around and see if I forgot anything.

Marc

PS, I also had this thread going:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1495685/please-help-me-lock-in-some-htpc-settings-before-messing-with-my-new-plasma

But the upshot from all that is captured above.

Thank you very much, it worked like a charm
Maybe I can do the same for you someday
post #9739 of 12864 Old 12-02-2013, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

FWIW, after I had about 150 hrs of usage (combo of slides plus full screen viewing) I tried the D-nice settings, and after all the entry was done, found them not at all appealing. Too much red push, and I lost a lot of detail in dark scenes generally. I was a bit surprised by how bad the much-discussed settings looked on my 60ST60.

I also noticed a slight red push in black backgrounds and was able to fix it by adjusting a setting (name escapes me at moment) by 1 value... Red low something or other also mentioned in here somewhere. As for the loss of detail in dark backgrounds, I sometimes notice this as well. I tried the Disney wow disc but only messed with brightness and contrast. Any thoughts on how I can slightly increase the detail(gamma maybe) for more detail in darker scenes without skewing DNICE settings too much?

Overall I like his results on my set....colors look great to me!
post #9740 of 12864 Old 12-02-2013, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc007 View Post

Thank you very much, it worked like a charm
Maybe I can do the same for you someday

My pleasure. Glad I could give something back to the forum.

I'm experimenting with one change to the settings I gave you. Keep in mind, I traded up to this 60" set from an old 1080i 50" set, so for me now watching DVD ripped content is a bit of a challenge due to it appearing fuzzy. I'm using LAV standard settings for deinterlacing in MPC-HC, by the way. Anyway, in the Catalyst control panel, turning on "edge enhancement" in the quality settings, and setting it up a bit (between 50-80), seems to give me much better crispness of DVD quality content, without harming bluray much. Now, with these settings, running some test patterns you can clearly see the edge enhancement artifacts. However, watching real content, the picture seems to be improved to my eye. At the moment I've got it way up to 80 but will probably drop it back a bit.

Just a thought, in case it helps. Note, other settings controlled by MPC-HC might be preferable to doing this globally in the video card settings, but it's an interesting change that I like so far. Works well with the set.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #9741 of 12864 Old 12-02-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

Where do you see that model number? The sticker on the outside of mine, I haven't opened them yet, has 3DMG32900661 on it and the paper inside has N5ZZ00000325 on it.

Open the small booklet that came inside and under "Regulatory Compliance Information" in a box that says ANATEL it says "MODELO #TY-ER3D5MA"

Also it gives this model number in the initial CNET review in the section that talks about the 3d aspects of this tv

post #9742 of 12864 Old 12-02-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Open the small booklet that came inside and under "Regulatory Compliance Information" in a box that says ANATEL it says "MODELO #TY-ER3D5MA"

Also it gives this model number in the initial CNET review in the section that talks about the 3d aspects of this tv

Hi, I'm thinking just the model # changed or the style slightly. Maybe give Panny a call. I bought two extra pairs of the Samsung glasses for $20 apiece but I didn't get to try them out yet.
post #9743 of 12864 Old 12-02-2013, 06:26 AM

Liked: 16
Im at the 300 hour mark and am pleased how the picture has settled in. IT's gorgeous and boy those blacks !

I have the 65 inch and am surprised at how good SD material looks
comfynumb likes this.
post #9744 of 12864 Old 12-02-2013, 07:54 AM

Ok so I updated to the latest firmware last night version 2.727 with the hopes there might be a fix for large hdd support but no luck. Does anyone know what this update was supposed to address?
post #9745 of 12864 Old 12-02-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Hi, I'm thinking just the model # changed or the style slightly. Maybe give Panny a call. I bought two extra pairs of the Samsung glasses for $20 apiece but I didn't get to try them out yet.

I just read a review on Amazon for the Samsung SSG-5100GB that are $17.99 a pair from an ST60 owner who said these glasses work great with this model tv and they also fit his grand kids well.

I gotta pick up 3 pair now smile.gif

Oh and please let us know how your samsung glasses work . Which model # did you buy BTW?

I like that there is a relatively inexpensive alternative. It is just too scary to imagine my nephews as well as my big, ol' slug of a brother with their paws all over those Panny glasses biggrin.gif

post #9746 of 12864 Old 12-02-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just read a review on Amazon for the Samsung SSG-5100GB that are $17.99 a pair from an ST60 owner who said these glasses work great with this model tv and they also fit his grand kids well.

I gotta pick up 3 pair now smile.gif

Oh and please let us know how your samsung glasses work . Which model # did you buy BTW?

I like that there is a relatively inexpensive alternative. It is just too scary to imagine my nephews as well as my big, ol' slug of a brother with their paws all over those Panny glasses biggrin.gif

Yeah the Panny glasses are mine and my GF's, the other ones (Samsung SSG-5100GB) are for my son and whoever else biggrin.gif
So yeah $17.99 is a deal, I paid $19.99 from Paul's TV, but no tax. I'm paying tax on 90% of what I buy from Amazon anymore, and I'm assuming it won't be long before they tax us on every internet purchase eek.gif
post #9747 of 12864 Old 12-02-2013, 10:04 AM

Liked: 14
Just in need of a little help here...

There is obviously a TON of useful information in this thread (and others) regarding the ST Series TV.

I've spent hours searching and reading as I recently purchased a ST60 as my FIRST plasma set. I've found some good info on break-in, calibrations, slides, IR, settings, etc...but some of it conflicts and I can't find it all in one place.

Could somebody be so kind to link me to a sticky or thread for plasma newbs? I'm looking for answers to questions like:

What are the 100hr slides and where to get them / how to use them / are they necessary?

What is / how to achieve proper "break-in"?

Anything else an average user might need to know if they just brought home their first plasma (specifically the ST60).

I'd be super grateful for the help - I know the information is already out there, just having a hard time locating it.

Thanks!
post #9748 of 12864 Old 12-02-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Yeah the Panny glasses are mine and my GF's, the other ones (Samsung SSG-5100GB) are for my son and whoever else biggrin.gif
So yeah $17.99 is a deal, I paid $19.99 from Paul's TV, but no tax. I'm paying tax on 90% of what I buy from Amazon anymore, and I'm assuming it won't be long before they tax us on every internet purchase eek.gif

We're in NH, there is no sales or income tax. However they still stick us with alot of what the state gov't calls "fees".

And talk about property taxes, we could've bought 5 of these tv's for what we pay a year eek.gif

post #9749 of 12864 Old 12-02-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We're in NH, there is no sales or income tax. However they still stick us with alot of what the state gov't calls "fees".

And talk about property taxes, we could've bought 5 of these tv's for what we pay a year eek.gif

Ugh! One way or the other we all pay and I wish they'd fix this mess we're in. In the mean time isn't this panel great biggrin.gif
post #9750 of 12864 Old 12-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I posted this in the VT60 thread but since my question implies to overall video processing I thought that I could get some feedback from ST60 owners as well.

Quote:

'Upgraditis seems to have struck me as well as I have for no reason that makes sense decided to go to the 65VT60 from my current 65ST50.

Well for one minor but very important reason only:

Last year's 50 series plasmas were horrendous in de-interlacing, scaling and video processing 720p and 1080i tv content. Posterization and soft OTA tv content led me to retreat to the bedroom to my 3 year old sammy C6500 plasma which made it seem like a kuro compared when watching my favorite tv shows.

My ST50 was calibrated by D-Nice and everything else especially blu ray was top notch with nary a hint of problems at all.

Will the VT60 do me proud when it comes to 720p and 1080i OTA tv content or am I expecting too much here? I'm assuming better black levels and improved (brighter) 3D blu ray playback are other things I can look forward to?

Thanks!'

If there are any ST/GT/VT 50 owners out there that have upgraded to the ST/ VT 60 this year- I would love to hear your thoughts.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread - P55st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page