AVS Forum banner
1M views 15K replies 1K participants last post by  John Hooper 
#1 ·
With the 2013 CES announcement of the new plasmas, i would start a thread to address questions regarding the likely popular st60 series plasma sets available in 50, 55, 60, and 65 inch sizes.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P50st60

#8,204 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8190#post_23759560

Last I knew Panasonic was at the top of that list with only 3% of people having problems in the first three years. I haven't seen any stats in the last couple of years so I don't know if that's still true or not.
That sounds about right.

---I bought a 30K Chevy truck, when it got towed out of my friends drive at 2000 miles I was not happy. I do have a Raptor now, no issues and what a truck !!

#8,205 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aya  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8160#post_23756703

I do see the flickers during transition but it's not between the transitions but rather while each color (specifically, white, green, gray) is being displayed. It's like those aged fluorescent light tubes when they flash really fast.

I actually went to BB and looked at a few other plasma TVs where all plasmas have the same problem while the Samsung model looked the worst.

I'm not sure if this is caused by the fact where contrast is set to 100, i will have to wait until monday to apply D'nice's settings.

I think we may be talking about the same issue (see post 8162). Do you notice the same thing on the "No signal" message when you turn off the selected input's source?

#8,206 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8160#post_23753808

When you say "up close", do you mean like 5 feet? 2 feet? Or 2 inches? Can you see this stuff from your normal viewing distance?

The slides are not a good representation of normal content. You'll see various anomalies when "watching slides" that you'll never see when watching normal content. Especially at normal viewing distances.

Was the TV in the store using the same source as your TV at home? Did you put the store TV in the same Picture Mode as yours is? Did you adjust the settings to the exact same settings your TV has?

I don't see it from my normal viewing distance (roughly 10 ft), but can see it from 4 ft and closer.

I just noticed I can see this effect on the "No signal" vignette that pops up on a black background when the selected input's source is turned off. Shouldn't that be a solid gray? I can definitely see moving pixels within it from 4 feet in.

#8,211 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapinstation  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8190#post_23760070

Thanks. I had it at 2.4, but changed it to 2.2. Helps a bit. The whites just seem a bit 'dirty' or something.

One of the biggest things I learned from this thread was WAIT! My eyes were used to over-saturated color heavy images and I had to relax and get used to how this plasma looked. A month later and its a big difference.

#8,212 ·
I'm new to plasma TVs with my P50ST60 and need some experienced advice before returning it. I've put nearly 100 hours into the break-in process and notice some mild IR in the bottom left and right corners that seems to fade after running the screen wipe function. I'm sure the IR is from viewing CNN, FNC, CNBC, etc. The thing is, I have to keep my TV tuned to news/business channels all day. It seems IR will be unavoidable. Also, my loft office is pretty bright with natural light well into the afternoon. The colors appear washed out until after about 3pm. For these conditions, will the ST60 be the right, long-term choice or would I be better served with an LED TV? Will additional break-in hours improve the ST60's performance in this environment?

Thanks for any comments!

#8,213 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake77  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8190#post_23762160

I'm new to plasma TVs with my P50ST60 and need some experienced advice before returning it. I've put nearly 100 hours into the break-in process and notice some mild IR in the bottom left and right corners that seems to fade after running the screen wipe function. I'm sure the IR is from viewing CNN, FNC, CNBC, etc. The thing is, I have to keep my TV tuned to news/business channels all day. It seems IR will be unavoidable. Also, my loft office is pretty bright with natural light well into the afternoon. The colors appear washed out until after about 3pm. For these conditions, will the ST60 be the right, long-term choice or would I be better served with an LED TV? Will additional break-in hours improve the ST60's performance in this environment?

Thanks for any comments!
Get an LED.

#8,214 ·
^^^If that is all the TV is being used for I would agree, except get a Sharp LED cause they are the only LED that still has a semi-matte screen. If you are using the unit for normal use after business hours, the trade offs may be worth keeping the plasma. Give and take with everything out there, only you can make the hard choices.

#8,215 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump909  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/2370#post_23237058

That's actually the one I purchased for myself. However, I've yet to test it, since my TV won't arrive until later this week. The main thing that set it apart from the other tilt/swivel mounts was the minimum extension (3.75" vs. 4.5" for the others I saw). I don't need it flush with the wall, but the closer the better

So did this mount work for you?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=6200&seq=1&format=4#feedback

I have the TC-65PS64 and it weights 75 lbs with a VESA of 684x300 and I'm wondering if this is a good mount for it.

#8,216 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8190#post_23759899

Just making my monthly visit to say I'm still beyond happy with my 60" ST60. I had no IR for the first month or so, then about a week or so of some quick onset IR, and now it's been another couple months or so with no IR, maybe 3, 4? I don't know, my concept of time has escaped me. But I'm confident that IR won't ever be an issue. The PQ still stuns me to this day. Perhaps the best purchase I've ever made, lol.

Oh, and rainbow effect is no longer an issue!

I have a question for you (hopefully you'll check the site before another month passes
)

When you say rainbow effect is no longer an issue, are you saying you've gotten used to it, or you feel like it has gone away? If you try to see it (not that you'd really want to TRY, if you've learned to ignore it) can you still do it.

I went back and read your posts, and I apparently am sensitive to the exact same effect, except I see more of just a yellow shadow, not many other colors). I was watching Sin City last night, and the dark/light contrast of that movie made the effect really noticeable. It hasn't been a deal breaker for me, as it doesn't happen with most things I watch, and I love everything else about the picture. But I do hope it goes away, or I stop being aware of it.

#8,218 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slack2116  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8200_50#post_23765123

i was looking through this thread and didnt see anything about this. i was watching a Bluray through HDMI and all of a sudden the TV just turned off. then turned back on after like 15 seconds. its all on default settings.

edit:

it has done it twice now.
I would contact Panasonic if you don't have a cost free return option, or an extended warranty that started on the day you purchased your set.

#8,220 ·
I just had Chad B do an ISF calibration on my 65ST60 and he did an excellent job for sure. Chad showed up right on time and was very efficient in setting every thing up and getting the job done. He took me through each step in the process and was very good at explaining what he was doing and why. He answered all my questions and made me feel very at ease about the whole process.

The results look fantastic with 2D and 3D for Bluray and my OTA channels look great as well. Chad is a true professional and a pleasure to deal with. I was hesitant about how much better my picture would look, but I am glad I took the plunge and had it done. Thanks again to Chad for a great experience. Highly recommended. I have included the calibration report.
Matt Anderson ST60 2.pdf 778k .pdf file

Attachments

#8,221 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargod  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8200_100#post_23764354

So did this mount work for you?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=6200&seq=1&format=4#feedback

I have the TC-65PS64 and it weights 75 lbs with a VESA of 684x300 and I'm wondering if this is a good mount for it.
Monoprice PID 3900 -- http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082801&p_id=3900&seq=1&format=2

I ordered 2 of these (one for the Panny 65st60 & one for the older Samsung 50a550 that's going in the bedroom). Looks great, fits great, thin, plenty of tilt, holds just fine, etc. For the price it's a no brainer. If you'd like I can get some pictures of it on the wall

#8,223 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barriwhite  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8190#post_23760895

I think we may be talking about the same issue (see post 8162). Do you notice the same thing on the "No signal" message when you turn off the selected input's source?

I don't see that but I do see, like what @cyberbri said, "dancing pixels" when I'm within 10 inches.

I have a 55" and I'm sitting 6' (probably too close?) away from the set. When it's displaying content with large area of white, it's like someone is adjusting the "brightness" really fast and makes it looked like flashing.

Again, I see it with pretty much all plasma TVs and not LEDs.

#8,225 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slack2116  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8220#post_23765199

for real? it hasn't done it in like 25-30 minutes. and for the first hour of the movie it only did it those 2 times. actually since i got the TV its only done it twice.

edit:

the Manufacturer Date is September 2013.

Were you using another remote (perhaps for the DVD player) at the time, say to adjust the volume? I have seen cases a few times before where a spurious IR signal might affect the TV by changing inputs, turning off, etc. (That has happened a couple of times with my Sharp LCD that I have had for five years.)

#8,226 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdanderson  /t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/8200_50#post_23765802

I just had Chad B do an ISF calibration on my 65ST60 and he did an excellent job for sure.
Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

If you have further comments to make about your audio or video calibration, it would be great if you could use the edit command to add them to your original post. Enjoy.

Reactions: mdanderson