Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 331 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9901 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm breaking mine in now with Lion King and Nemo and such.

What a gorgeous picture. It's more vibrant and has better blacks than my Samsung D7000.

Makes me sad that Panny will stop making these amazing panels. Why can't plasma be better marketed???
shenaniganz08 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9902 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlydismayed View Post

What a gorgeous picture. It's more vibrant and has better blacks than my Samsung D7000.

Makes me sad that Panny will stop making these amazing panels. Why can't plasma be better marketed???

Plasmas got a bad rep in the beginning for burn-in, high power consumption and heat emission they just never got past, even though all that hasn't been much of an issue for years now. Many people still believe they suffer from all that today.

LCDs are newer and for some unknown reason people believe newer is better.
post #9903 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
A couple days ago saw that Panny was selling their $200 soundbar for half price - direct from Panny, free shipping. The specs seemed better than the Yamaha I tried several months ago and immediately took back, and the JBL, which I bought. The Panny soundbar seems to have all kinds of settings - which other bars I looked at just don't have.
The problem w. our JBL is the bass is overwhelming and is enough to shake the unit next door even when the volume is low. (This is used in a smallish condo unit.) Also, the "enhanced" bass often makes dialog on dramas hard to understand. The panels speakers are actually easier to understand.

Question: It just occurred to me I might have connection problems. I now connect the JBL via Toslink cable. I think this Panny has an optical connection as well - BUT - if I use the remote to control the Panny soundbar, it might use the same control "numbers" as the Panny plasma. Thus I'd be controlling both the soundbar and the panel speakers at the same time.
Does anyone here have the Panny soundbar?

I guess I could work around this by using an HDMI connection to the soundbar. How would this be done? I know I am dense and somehow the HDMI 2 (ARC) on the panel would be involved. I need help!!

Right know I can use the Comcast DVR remote to control the JBL soundbar. (Panel speakers are set to zero.) We only use plasa remote to "run" Netflix.
post #9904 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

Any Harmony remote users here? I'm trying to set up my Harmony remote with my new 55ST60. I can't seem to get my inputs to sequence properly when changing activities. My cable box and DVD player are switched by my HT receiver connected to HDMI 1 but I occasionally need to switch back to the TV tuner (ant/cable) input to launch Netflix and other streaming media. The commands seem to step through the inputs but never land on the right one. Not sure if it is a delay issue or what. Any other Harmony users run into this?

Why not just Customize the buttons on the Harmony remote, Additional Buttons I think it is, TYpe in Netflix, then select TV as the device to control, then drop down the commands window and scroll to and select "NETFLIX" ... the built-in command Harmony has for the ST60 series. I am using Harmony Logitech Software Version 7 on my Windows 7 PC to program my lower level cheapie Harmony,

Neil from Southern California
post #9905 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark69 View Post

Ahh ok didn't know you hadn't upgrade to PHT.

So I get the soap opera effect a bit in the netflix app as well as sound only through the TV (using hdmi back to my Yamaha ex-v3900 receiver). Should I just use my 360 for netflix or is there a way to get 5.1 from Netflix back to my receiver? Thanks

I get 5.1 no problem using TOSlink from the TV to optical in on my receiver.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #9906 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfoot View Post

Thanks. Is there a good amount of time to run the Screen Wipe? Can it be harmful if I run it too much or at the wrong settings? I noticed when I ran mine before, the ESPN logo did not appear when the white part was over the IR area, but if I show just a static white slide, it does appear. That makes no sense to me.

Screen Wipe is independent of settings. You can let it run as long as you want, but it uses a lot of power, and the TV gets quite hot. I've let it go 8 hours at a time with no ill effects, but the pixel flipper and Jscreenfix are less obnoxious and run cooler. They are dependent on settings, of course. To show IR near the top and bottom of the screen, try the AVS HD 709 "APL Clipping" video I mentioned earlier. Then try "White Clipping", the next pattern in the series. The whites are the same at the bottoms of each, but APL Clipping will show IR that doesn't show nearly as well on White Clipping or my grayscale and color slides. I figure it has something to do with the APL conditions being just perfect to maximize the IR observability. I just found I can simulate it in Paint by creating a 1920x1080 image, filling it with black, and then drawing solid white rectangles at the top and bottom, each about 200 pixels high and the full width of the image. When I show the image full screen by pressing F11, I can easily make out IR of the Panasonic menu directional pad in the bottom left, and there's still a faint remnant of ESPN from last week in the bottom right. This is all mainly a curiosity, as it is exceedingly rare for me to notice this when watching TV, including animation with wide areas of solid colors.
post #9907 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 07:25 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:

Nemo was our very first movie watched on this set and all I can say is WOW

Also had the Lion King on last week. I play several movies everyday even when not watching the tv just to continue the break in process. i love this baby smile.gif

An "Analog Kid" in a digital world
post #9908 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

I get 5.1 no problem using TOSlink from the TV to optical in on my receiver.

Marc

Hubby set up TOSlink from our blu-ray to the receiver, HDMI from blu-ray to tv and we have no problem with the 5.1 Our receiver is older, has no HDMI so both the Panny and the Sony CRT use the TOS and the sound works just fine a Marc stated

post #9909 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:

Those movies are sweet to watch, 100% digital. From computer to Blu Ray wink.gif
post #9910 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 08:38 PM

Liked: 14
How many of you have noticed the faint vertical lines to the right on gray slides and image retention on this set? I know others have discussed this, but just trying to see whether this is a common issue and/or if anyone has had luck with exchanges?
post #9911 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushfan2112 View Post

Hubby set up TOSlink from our blu-ray to the receiver, HDMI from blu-ray to tv and we have no problem with the 5.1 Our receiver is older, has no HDMI so both the Panny and the Sony CRT use the TOS and the sound works just fine a Marc stated
The only disadvantage of toslink from bluray to AVR is that toslink will not carry lossless audio. Many blurays now are DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby True HD. Toslink supports neither one.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #9912 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

The only disadvantage of toslink from bluray to AVR is that toslink will not carry lossless audio. Many blurays now are DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby True HD. Toslink supports neither one.

Sure, but you'll still get the core tracks, which are 1536 Kbps DTS or 640 Kbps DD and sound great.
post #9913 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27

Hey guys,

I started a thread with what I'm doing in terms of breaking in the TV in addition to a list of people who does not have IR issues and those that does. I'm hoping to compile a list to see what method or theories people have to breaking in and preventing IR and to find out what settings those that have IR are using, specifically contrast level.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1500982/panasonic-tc-pxxst60-image-retention-thread

Please contribute if you can.

Thanks

sealteamz6 likes this.
post #9914 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Sorry Mr Bond, I am pretty stupid when it comes to technical stuff, I confess I have little clue as to what "lossless" is. I only know it sounds good enough to my old ears wink.gif

Our receiver is older, a Kenwood bought in 2003 from Crutchfield but is 7 channel ready and does DTS. Whenever a disc offers a choice we opt for that anyhow

post #9915 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 10:15 PM

Liked: 40
Quote:

That's where the Monoprice HDMI splitters are so nice to have. Not only will they split the HDMI video, they'll extract the HDMI audio, DTS Digital, Dolby Digital, DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD. The audio quality of just the Dolby Digital that you are now getting from Toslink will be improved from the extracted HDMI audio using one of these splitters. I'm using the Monoprice 7974 using the same digital cable that I was using from my DirecTv DVR to my Sunfire processor, only now it attached to the 4 x 1 splitter and it's really no contest, the audio quality is that much better. DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD are beyond my processor's capability unfortunately.
post #9916 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 10:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushfan2112 View Post

Sorry Mr Bond, I am pretty stupid when it comes to technical stuff, I confess I have little clue as to what "lossless" is. I only know it sounds good enough to my old ears wink.gif

Our receiver is older, a Kenwood bought in 2003 from Crutchfield but is 7 channel ready and does DTS. Whenever a disc offers a choice we opt for that anyhow
As sawfish pointed out youre not missing much.

post #9917 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 10:22 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRonnie7 View Post

How many of you have noticed the faint vertical lines to the right on gray slides and image retention on this set? I know others have discussed this, but just trying to see whether this is a common issue and/or if anyone has had luck with exchanges?

I just looked at the tv with gray slides. havent noticed any lines....there may be the faintest of faint lines on the right side but might be my mind playing tricks. i dont think there is one there
post #9918 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky12 View Post

Hey guys,

I started a thread with what I'm doing in terms of breaking in the TV in addition to a list of people who does not have IR issues and those that does. I'm hoping to compile a list to see what method or theories people have to breaking in and preventing IR and to find out what settings those that have IR are using, specifically contrast level.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1500982/panasonic-tc-pxxst60-image-retention-thread

Please contribute if you can.

Thanks

I havent had anything static on the screen for more than an hour but I watched an episode of american horror story with the FX logo on screen right after I got it with the tv set to Home theater mode so the contrast was 100. no IR. crossing my fingers I don't get any but the real test will be next week after finals are over when I spend a couple hours playing games
post #9919 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:

As sawfish pointed out youre not missing much.

Well, it depends on your setup and consumption. If you have a nice speaker set and a treated room then the best fidelity will be in lossless format. Same thing with 1080p content vs 720p content, it matters as the the size goes up or comparing a top of the line tv set vs a entry line tv set.

sealteamz6 likes this.
post #9920 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, it depends on your setup and consumption. If you have a nice speaker set and a treated room then the best fidelity will be in lossless format. Same thing with 1080p content vs 720p content, it matters as the the size goes up or comparing a top of the line tv set vs a entry line tv set.
Completely agree. The difference is definitely noticeable on my system.

post #9921 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Bombard View Post

Quote:

That's where the Monoprice HDMI splitters are so nice to have. Not only will they split the HDMI video, they'll extract the HDMI audio, DTS Digital, Dolby Digital, DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD. The audio quality of just the Dolby Digital that you are now getting from Toslink will be improved from the extracted HDMI audio using one of these splitters. I'm using the Monoprice 7974 using the same digital cable that I was using from my DirecTv DVR to my Sunfire processor, only now it attached to the 4 x 1 splitter and it's really no contest, the audio quality is that much better. DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD are beyond my processor's capability unfortunately.

Running S/PDIF from the splitter should be the same as running S/PDIF from the BD player.
post #9922 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 10:34 PM

Liked: 10

After 2000+ hours of usage my ST60 has a burn in from the NY1 news banner, thought I changed the channel enough and had the pixel switcher on but still got a a burn in. Ran the disnet pixel flipper about 3 times for over 12 hours each and did absolutely  nothing. I called ABT to discuss my insurance plan and not hing is covered. Thinking about dropping it on the floor and using my 2 year warranty. This really stinks, just got the tv in june.

post #9923 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwhite2 View Post

After 2000+ hours of usage my ST60 has a burn in from the NY1 news banner, thought I changed the channel enough and had the pixel switcher on but still got a a burn in. Ran the disnet pixel flipper about 3 times for over 12 hours each and did absolutely  nothing. I called ABT to discuss my insurance plan and not hing is covered. Thinking about dropping it on the floor and using my 2 year warranty. This really stinks, just got the tv in june.

is it noticeable when you are watching other content like movies or playing games? That does suck though. I guess I am thankful that I don't watch cable hence not many logos. I use Netflix or Hulu Plus or I just download shows in which case those have logos but I would say my content is varied enough
post #9924 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 10:48 PM

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

Running S/PDIF from the splitter should be the same as running S/PDIF from the BD player.

And you know this how? Have you actually compared the two?

Well you could very well be right as I don't have a BluRay so I can't make any claims. But I stand behind my post 100% as far as DirecTv DVR digital out audio when compared to the Monoprice's digital out extracted from HDMI. The audio quality is so much better and with better channel separation, it's hard to imagine others wouldn't agree once they've actually compared the two. But hey, you never know what others will hear, or not hear. smile.gif
post #9925 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Of course the best fidelity is lossless. The question is whether or not it's a perceivable difference. For video, telling 1080p from 720p depends on the source material and screen size/viewing distance. For audio, as long as the masterings are the same, I'd expect the differences to be minimal and unobservable to the vast majority of people, including those with relatively high end systems. Here is the slideshow for an interesting paper on MP3 vs CD using a dedicated listening room and high end equipment, where the test subjects included "trained listeners" and "expert listeners":

http://music.mcgill.ca/~hockman/documents/Pras_presentation2009.pdf

To the extent I can extrapolate, these high bitrate lossy core soundtracks would strain the ability of "trained listeners" to distinguish them from the lossless versions, and I expect most of the time, the "expert listeners" wouldn't be able to tell them apart, either, as long as the masterings are the same, so that you're listening to the same soundtrack encoded lossless vs. lossy.
sealteamz6 likes this.
post #9926 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Bombard View Post

Quote:

And you know this how?

The switch does not confer any new capabilities on S/PDIF. The BD player should be sending the same audio over S/PDIF as the switch.
post #9927 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 10:59 PM

Yeah it's noticeable, any time lighter colors are present in the lower left area you can see it. It's been like this for a few weeks now, really sad because I love this tv so much. I think it from turning the brightness up for a darker movie and never turning it back down.

post #9928 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwhite2 View Post

Yeah it's noticeable, any time lighter colors are present in the lower left area you can see it. It's been like this for a few weeks now, really sad because I love this tv so much. I think it from turning the brightness up for a darker movie and never turning it back down.

man that sucks. sorry to hear that....Yeah I only got my ST60 last week so I haven't had enough time with it yet. How often did/do you watch that news station?
post #9929 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 11:08 PM

Every morning for about ten minutes +/- 5minutes

I'm still praying it will disappear but it hasn't faded one bit in weeks.

I'm on the wait list for I think dnice or chadb to calibrate it but at this point I'm going to have to cancel.

Just finished my perfect set up as well, pioneer andrew jones soundbar, ps4, wiiU, xboxone, ruko, ATV3 and now my tv's busted.

post #9930 of 13060 Old 12-04-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:

Of course the best fidelity is lossless. The question is whether or not it's a perceivable difference. For video, telling 1080p from 720p depends on the source material and screen size/viewing distance. For audio, as long as the masterings are the same, I'd expect the differences to be minimal and unobservable to the vast majority of people, including those with relatively high end systems. Here is the slideshow for an interesting paper on MP3 vs CD using a dedicated listening room and high end equipment, where the test subjects included "trained listeners" and "expert listeners":

http://music.mcgill.ca/~hockman/documents/Pras_presentation2009.pdf

To the extent I can extrapolate, these high bitrate lossy core soundtracks would strain the ability of "trained listeners" to distinguish them from the lossless versions, and I expect most of the time, the "expert listeners" wouldn't be able to tell them apart, either, as long as the masterings are the same, so that you're listening to the same soundtrack encoded lossless vs. lossy.

Well, we can chalk it up to snake oil and I'm no expert but some will probably swear up and down that they hear a difference. I believe you that there is probably no perceivable difference but if I had a choice, I would pick lossless over "lossy"

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page