Forum Jump: 

post #9991 of 12863 Old 12-05-2013, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenaniganz08 View Post

Are you using your plasma as a PC monitor ?

I saw some faint lines on the right side of my screen yesterday when i was running slides

This may be an issue from having windows fullscreened but the scroll bar is a static image

On occasion, I'll use my ST60 as a monitor from my HTPC and I've had no IR issues as a result. Something to think about tho as I hadn't really considered it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9992 of 12863 Old 12-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I also use the 60ST60 as the monitor for my HTPC... no problems so far. I don't leave the desktop up for extended periods... when the TV is on, most of the time either content is actually playing, or I'm browsing around in Windows Media Center / Media Browser 3. I don't leave it on one unchanging static screen for long, and my Windows is set to turn off the screen after I think 10-5 mins of inactivity anyway.

I have left it at the Media Browser 3 (ROC theme) main home screen for the 10-15 minute timeout period, just a very few times, but it never caused any issues.

The only IR I've ever noticed was on day 1, the Viera in the upper left was visible while running slides after I had been poking around the Panny home screens or whatever for a while. It went away in less than an hour, probably 15-30 minutes or so.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #9993 of 12863 Old 12-05-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 408
^^^
This puts me at ease a little Marc and Robin. Not that I'm really worried about IR or burn in but with all the stories it's in the back of my mind.
post #9994 of 12863 Old 12-05-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

^^^
This puts me at ease a little Marc and Robin. Not that I'm really worried about IR or burn in but with all the stories it's in the back of my mind.

I had some minor IR issues in the early months with the DirecTv logo in my DVR's menu & tv guide as I live there since getting this great plasma and would run the screen wipe for 7 hours while sleeping each time I'd notice it. But I now have over 3000 hours on the set and IR isn't or should I say hasn't been a concern (knock on wood). And I live on ESPN year round (all the sports channels actually). smile.gif
comfynumb and kkirsche like this.
post #9995 of 12863 Old 12-05-2013, 07:37 PM

Liked: 23
Can't wait to get to the 100 hour mark (at about 54 hours now). All this image retention and burn in talk has me scared to even just watch my tv with channels I like. Nothing crazy, but a basketball game here and a 2.35:1 aspect ratio movie another. I'll keep going with slides and stuff to help me get through this hundred hours so I can feel a bit better about using my tv, well, as my tv.
post #9996 of 12863 Old 12-05-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

^^^
YMMV
kkirsche likes this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #9997 of 12863 Old 12-05-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkirsche View Post

Can't wait to get to the 100 hour mark (at about 54 hours now). All this image retention and burn in talk has me scared to even just watch my tv with channels I like. Nothing crazy, but a basketball game here and a 2.35:1 aspect ratio movie another. I'll keep going with slides and stuff to help me get through this hundred hours so I can feel a bit better about using my tv, well, as my tv.

Yep, what Bond said, YMMV. Fact is I ran them slides for a full 300 hours straight yet a few months later, I was still having minor IR issues. But with time and running the screen wipe often, those issues disappated,,, for me. Mr Bond, if I'm remembering right, wasn't so fortunate. So my opinion, I wouldn't put much stock in those slides as far as IR is concerned but use your common sense as far as what causes IR so you can mitigate any potential damage by avoiding known causes and keep an eye out for it by routinely using the white-light white slides and run the screen wipe often if you see it and if you can identify the source, avoid that channel til it goes away. Just don't panic if you find some faint IR early on as like with most diseases, early detection & corrective actions should nip it in the bud,,,,,,, YMMV. smile.gif
kkirsche likes this.
post #9998 of 12863 Old 12-05-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Bombard View Post

Yep, what Bond said, YMMV. Fact is I ran them slides for a full 300 hours straight yet a few months later, I was still having minor IR issues. But with time and running the screen wipe often, those issues disappated,,, for me. Mr Bond, if I'm remembering right, wasn't so fortunate. So my opinion, I wouldn't put much stock in those slides as far as IR is concerned but use your common sense as far as what causes IR so you can mitigate any potential damage by avoiding known causes and keep an eye out for it by routinely using the white-light white slides and run the screen wipe often if you see it and if you can identify the source, avoid that channel til it goes away. Just don't panic if you find some faint IR early on as like with most diseases, early detection & corrective actions should nip it in the bud,,,,,,, YMMV. smile.gif
+1 Good advice.
kkirsche likes this.

post #9999 of 12863 Old 12-05-2013, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I'd say keep the contrast as low as possible (under 80) until you have a few thousand hours before going any higher. I currently have it at 68 and will keep it there until I feel comfortable going higher. Seems like the more I read about IR, it has to do with end users setting the contrast way high. Probably because they want it to be LED bright which is not going to happen without consequences. Like a car, just because it can go 150miles an hour, doesn't mean you should do it... 

post #10000 of 12863 Old 12-05-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky12 View Post

I'd say keep the contrast as low as possible (under 80) until you have a few thousand hours before going any higher. I currently have it at 68 and will keep it there until I feel comfortable going higher. Probably because they want it to be LED bright which is not going to happen without consequences.. 

I think most folks have their contrast set at around 80 because that's were most of the posted calibrated picture mode settings are set. I don't see where LED has anything to do with it. But your advise to lower the contrast til you get some miles on that plasma is solid common sense. The picture quality simply got the best of me & I couldn't bear messing with an awesome picture. smile.gif
sealteamz6 likes this.
post #10001 of 12863 Old 12-05-2013, 09:40 PM

Liked: 35
I don't know what the hell I'm doing however it looks like I was right to turn the contrast down to 45 wink.gif

An "Analog Kid" in a digital world
post #10002 of 12863 Old 12-05-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushfan2112 View Post

I don't know what the hell I'm doing however it looks like I was right to turn the contrast down to 45 wink.gif

Just for ****&giggles, I turned the CNET cinema contrast setting from 81 down to 45. You have my sympathies. hahahahaha

Honestly, still looks pretty darn good. smile.gif
kkirsche likes this.
post #10003 of 12863 Old 12-05-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky12 View Post

I'd say keep the contrast as low as possible (under 80) until you have a few thousand hours before going any higher. I currently have it at 68 and will keep it there until I feel comfortable going higher. Seems like the more I read about IR, it has to do with end users setting the contrast way high. Probably because they want it to be LED bright which is not going to happen without consequences. Like a car, just because it can go 150miles an hour, doesn't mean you should do it... 
Thats not what happened in my case. Good advice but again YMMV. IR potential varies from panel to panel. There is no standard advice that will work for everyone.
And as far as Im concerened its a shame that everyone should have to conform to any specific standards because of fear of IR.

post #10004 of 12863 Old 12-05-2013, 10:07 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:

Just for ****&giggles, I turned the CNET cinema contrast setting from 81 down to 45. You have my sympathies. hahahahaha

Honestly, still looks pretty darn good. smile.gif

We're not using CNET's settings, D-Nice settings nor have we run any slides. Just been watching full screen content. Honestly, with the contrast turned down the picture looks ok by me.
Tonight I watched "The Return of The King" in a room with four just slightly dimmed lights and the movie looked beautiful. Bright picture, excellent flesh tones and nice deep colors (did not look during the Shelob segment however)

While I read various posts about having the contrast up high we are pleased with the picture as we have it set. Maybe it's because we are used to a lower contrast as that how we adjusted our Sony HD CRT. Or maybe I'm just too stupid to know better wink.gif

An "Analog Kid" in a digital world
post #10005 of 12863 Old 12-05-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It depends on the environment too. If youre watching in a mostly dim enviro in the evening 45 might be on the dim side but not anything drastic.
And of course other settings also affect overall brightness.

post #10006 of 12863 Old 12-05-2013, 10:42 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzione View Post

Hi everyone, like many others I grabbed an 60ST60 a few days ago before they were all gone. This replaces a 3 yr old 60" LG Plasma PK550 which unfortunately developed a faint vertical line down the center of the screen that my research has disclosed is likely panel defect related and therefore not worth repairing. While the LG remains 'watchable' I seized the opportunity to convince my wife that a replacement is certainly warranted due to my discriminating visual acuity smile.gif

I'm very pleased with this set but it's not without a few flaws... that I can likely live with. I managed to luck out on a near perfect panel. Outstanding uniformity, no pixel issues. The contrast and black levels of this set trounces my old LG which is not surprising. What is surprising is that the LG actually had better motion processing....fewer artifacts with more fluid motion when compared to the ST's 'off' motion setting. I have to set the LG to 'weak' motion setting for acceptable (barely) motion processing. I use the zoom on the Panny a lot particularly during its present break in hours. This setting is noticeably inferior to the similar setting on the LG both in terms of clarity, motion processing and scaling. I was quite shocked to see Panny lagging (literally) behind the LG on the issue of video processing. Which brings me to the other quirk I experienced. There is for me unquestionable lip sync video lag on this set particularly through HDMI (WDTV player hooked to Pioneer receiver through optical for sound, HDMI direct to TV). I tested the connections with both my other plasmas and no such issue was apparent with the other sets. The audio sync is much less pronounced (but still there) through my Scientific Atlanta STB going through component + coax audio. While I realize different people have varying sensitivity to this phenomenon I am one who is particularly bothered by it and find it distracting.

Fortunately, I performed a firmware update today to the 2727 firmware and can report that there appears to be some improvement over the lip sync lag through HDMI. I'm curious if any others have found this to be true. While (for me) it's still there, the improvement has made the problem much less distracting and almost tolerable.

I suppose I'm due for a receiver upgrade as my Pioneer is 7 yrs old, has no hdmi outputs or sound delay adjustment. Whether or not my wife will 'approve' that purchase right now is quite doubtful....she doesn't see the problem as much as I do; then again, the line defect on my LG plasma didn't bother her either biggrin.gif

In the final analysis I think this set is a keeper, just wish the above shortfalls can further be addressed by Panasonic through firmware updates.

Maybe grab a new AVR. My Yamaha has a auto lip sync feature
post #10007 of 12863 Old 12-05-2013, 10:44 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzione View Post

Hey thanks Comfy. Believe me I've spent hours attempting to troubleshoot this already. All manner of cable switching, WDTV/Panny settings and problem cannot be eliminated. As I mentioned, the other 2 plasmas I have do not exhibit the problem given the identical connections and settings. It may be just my specific unit but I am not going to swap it out. Too many other positive attributes going for it. What I haven't tried yet is a 1.4 HDMI cable as the Panny may like that better, however I can't see how this would make much of a difference going from a WDTV Live Plus to the TV.

If someone were to post..."buy a new receiver with audio delay function, that's you're only choice fuzzione," I can show that to my wife and say ..."see?" smile.gif

HAHAHAHA Buy a new AVR. AVENTAGE Series Home Theater Receiver
RX-A710

Thats what I have. Its great got it off ebay new for 4xx.
post #10008 of 12863 Old 12-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 View Post

Maybe grab a new AVR. My Yamaha has a auto lip sync feature

My Yamaha with auto sync doesn't work with this TV, it has to be set manually.
post #10009 of 12863 Old 12-06-2013, 02:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What is the word on "East Coast TVs"? I remember some discussion about them but cant remember if it was good or bad. Are they trustworthy?

What about "All Time TVs"?

Also "Power Seller NYC".

All 3 of these guys have the same kind of sales going on. Are they all related somehow?

post #10010 of 12863 Old 12-06-2013, 02:45 AM

Liked: 0

How is the burn-in or image retention issues in this series? 

post #10011 of 12863 Old 12-06-2013, 02:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdemello View Post

How is the burn-in or image retention issues in this series? 
It varies from panel to panel. If youre careful with youre viewing habits you will probably have no problem.
kkirsche likes this.

post #10012 of 12863 Old 12-06-2013, 03:10 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

It varies from panel to panel. If youre careful with youre viewing habits you will probably have no problem.

Problem is I might be listening to music with the TV on and that will involve the same picture for the duration of the music. Other than this, I am a movie and news kinda guy. Does ZT or VT suffer from the same problem?

post #10013 of 12863 Old 12-06-2013, 03:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdemello View Post

Problem is I might be listening to music with the TV on and that will involve the same picture for the duration of the music. Other than this, I am a movie and news kinda guy. Does ZT or VT suffer from the same problem?
Yes to the VT and ZT but maybe to a lesser extent. It seems,like there may be a way to turn the screen off while listening to music but I cant remember for sure. Someone else should be able to say for sure. I dont own this particular model.

post #10014 of 12863 Old 12-06-2013, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 79
Quote:

What is the word on "East Coast TVs"? I remember some discussion about them but cant remember if it was good or bad. Are they trustworthy?

What about "All Time TVs"?

Also "Power Seller NYC".

All 3 of these guys have the same kind of sales going on. Are they all related somehow?

I think the first two are the same, don't know about the last. I've seen some pretty bad reviews for the first two. From what I've seen they say free shipping then they call you right after you place an order and try to get you to upgrade the shipping method and charge you for it. They've been accused of posting positive reviews for themselves in forums also. The first two aren't authorized dealers, don't know about the last.

I'd stay away from anywhere that tries to get you to pay by check or money order myself, you've got no recourse if things go bad and they know that.
sealteamz6 and Bond 007 like this.
post #10015 of 12863 Old 12-06-2013, 03:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

I think the first two are the same, don't know about the last. I've seen some pretty bad reviews for the first two. From what I've seen they say free shipping then they call you right after you place an order and try to get you to upgrade the shipping method and charge you for it. They've been accused of posting positive reviews for themselves in forums also. The first two aren't authorized dealers, don't know about the last.

I'd stay away from anywhere that tries to get you to pay by check or money order myself, you've got no recourse if things go bad and they know that.
All very good points. And now that you say that its exactly what everyone was complaining about.
Thanks sami.

post #10016 of 12863 Old 12-06-2013, 03:38 AM

Liked: 53
Good news everyone I just ran Screen wipe for about 4 hours and it looks like it got rid of almost all the Image retention I was having. There is still a faint vertical line on the right side of the screen but it has improved dramatically. I will make sure to avoid leaving a static scroll bar from now on.
sealteamz6 and kkirsche like this.
post #10017 of 12863 Old 12-06-2013, 04:53 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:

Very good point. I guess for me I'm just trying to get out of that first 100 hours quickly and safely more than anything as everyone I've seen agrees that the highest potential for IR/Burn-In is in that time. Not to say it can't and won't happen later, but my chances of avoiding it go up some. Thanks for the tips! Currently keeping my contrast when watching at 79 which is around the calibrator settings most places
post #10018 of 12863 Old 12-06-2013, 06:31 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkirsche View Post

Very good point. I guess for me I'm just trying to get out of that first 100 hours quickly and safely more than anything as everyone I've seen agrees that the highest potential for IR/Burn-In is in that time. Not to say it can't and won't happen later, but my chances of avoiding it go up some. Thanks for the tips! Currently keeping my contrast when watching at 79 which is around the calibrator settings most places

Same here. TV was delivered Tues and have been running Planet Earth in early morning and late evenings (with 5 month old twins, we're lucky if the tv is even turned on, so 100hrs would take forever). Contrast is at 56 and brightness way down low too. Gotta age those phosphors.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk. Please excuse typos or brevity.
kkirsche likes this.
post #10019 of 12863 Old 12-06-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Same here. TV was delivered Tues and have been running Planet Earth in early morning and late evenings (with 5 month old twins, we're lucky if the tv is even turned on, so 100hrs would take forever). Contrast is at 56 and brightness way down low too. Gotta age those phosphors.
Please excuse typos or brevity.[/quote]

Congrats on the twins!
sheshechic and kkirsche like this.

post #10020 of 12863 Old 12-06-2013, 07:26 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Congrats on the twins!

Thanks.  They were a good excuse to get a new TV.  The probably 6 or 7 year old Samsung 40" LCD was sitting on an open glass tv stand.  So of course you need closed, nice wood furniture so they can't get into things.  And the wife has been wanting a larger TV ever since LOTR came out on blu-ray.

kkirsche likes this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread - P55st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page