Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

I think they are the s#!+ biggrin.gif

Hmmm. I guess that's an idiom for which the word "the" is singularly important. Probably trips up non-native speakers all the time. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10082 of 13060 Old 12-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Basic question. If I am considering a pro calibration that will run me $400 or so here in Canada. Is it worth it when I have 4-5 inputs running to my Yamaha receiver and 1 feed back to the TV using HDMI 1? Will teh calibration guy adjust for each source somehow? If he does then i will have to change to that Picture mode each time I switch to that input. Can a Harmony 1 accomplish this? I have a PS3, Cable box, Xbox 360 and a Mac Mini that runs Plex HT. I also use Netflix sometimes. Thanks.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
post #10083 of 13060 Old 12-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

Hmmm. I guess that's an idiom for which the word "the" is singularly important. Probably trips up non-native speakers all the time. biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
post #10084 of 13060 Old 12-07-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Thanks again.
If you add $100 it isnt worth dealing with all the shady stuff from a dealer thats not authorized. Youve been very helpful.
Ding, Ding, Ding. You got that right. Well said.............Not to mention this goes far beyond just "an authorized dealer".
post #10085 of 13060 Old 12-07-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonetik View Post

Just finished runnign the slides on the 60ST60 I got from Amazon. Noticing that the buzzing I heard with the slides going is not really going away. The buzzing in the back is considerably louder than the panasonic plasma it replaced. I can hear it from seated position 11' away when running the slides with contrast lowered or on quiet scenes. I am thinking about getting Amazon to take it back and bring a new one. What are the odds I will get a quieter set if I do this? Do not want to go through the hassle of returning for nothing. I do not notice th ebuzzing unless it is a quiet scene or I walk by the TV, but it is annoying. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

When you contact Amazon for a replacement they give you the option of having the first one picked up when the replacement is delivered or scheduling to have the first one picked up at a later date. If you do the latter you would be able to compare them and keep whichever is better.
post #10086 of 13060 Old 12-07-2013, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

I think they are the s#!+ biggrin.gif

I am definitely going to try them. My 60st60 is approaching the 100 hour mark so I may try some of the custom settings starting with yours. However I noticed your re calibrated ones are for 300 hours so maybe I should wait till around that mark to start trying custom settings...I wont lie I watched Life of Pi last night and was playing the last of us today and the cinema setting looks pretty dang amazing haha
post #10087 of 13060 Old 12-07-2013, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark69 View Post

Basic question. If I am considering a pro calibration that will run me $400 or so here in Canada. Is it worth it when I have 4-5 inputs running to my Yamaha receiver and 1 feed back to the TV using HDMI 1? Will teh calibration guy adjust for each source somehow? If he does then i will have to change to that Picture mode each time I switch to that input. Can a Harmony 1 accomplish this? I have a PS3, Cable box, Xbox 360 and a Mac Mini that runs Plex HT. I also use Netflix sometimes. Thanks.

Those would be questions to ask your calibrator, as each calibrator decides what they will and won't do for the fee you agreed on.

As far as different settings for each input, you have 3 HDMI and 1 composite/component input. Cinema & Custom modes allow you to have the same or different settings per input, so in theory you could have 8 custom calibrated settings/inputs if you used the composite/component and each mode per each input (I believe). And you also have the capability to setup the Antenna & Apps as well, although it would be tougher to get an accurate calibration source on those.
Poolshark69 likes this.
post #10088 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 01:41 AM

Liked: 10

I'm new to the HDTV game, and after much research have finally purchased an S60 ($679 on Amazon). I have calibrated it using the settings recommended by CNET, and thus far, everything is great.  There is one tiny thing that has been bothering me that doesn't necessarily have to do with the image/TV experience itself: the left side of the screen seems to sag downwards a few degrees (just over 1/4' when moving from right to left). By chance, does anyone have any experience with this? I know it's quite OCD, but it bothers me when the TV is around numerous other things that are perfectly level in comparison (sound bar, TV stand, etc.). I'd like to address this so that the entire screen is more level. The screws in the mount are properly tightened, and all I can think of is to wedge something between the stand and the bottom of the screen on the left side so that the sag is compensated for and the screen appears level. Of course, that would look tacky. Any ideas? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

post #10089 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofongotron View Post

I'm new to the HDTV game, and after much research have finally purchased an S60 ($679 on Amazon). I have calibrated it using the settings recommended by CNET, and thus far, everything is great.  There is one tiny thing that has been bothering me that doesn't necessarily have to do with the image/TV experience itself: the left side of the screen seems to sag downwards a few degrees (just over 1/4' when moving from right to left). By chance, does anyone have any experience with this? I know it's quite OCD, but it bothers me when the TV is around numerous other things that are perfectly level in comparison (sound bar, TV stand, etc.). I'd like to address this so that the entire screen is more level. The screws in the mount are properly tightened, and all I can think of is to wedge something between the stand and the bottom of the screen on the left side so that the sag is compensated for and the screen appears level. Of course, that would look tacky. Any ideas? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I notice mine gets a tiny bit tilted as well, and I assume it's the TV stand's mount/screws.

Also, when you put in settings like you did with the ones from CNET's website, that's not calibrating the TV. That's plugging in random numbers. Calibrating involves using test patterns to determine the best settings for your TV, such as a calibration disc to set the brightness (black level) and contrast (white level) settings. If you like how it looks, great.
post #10090 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 07:24 AM

Hello everyone!

Purchased this a week back and just done with the slides and D-Nice's settings. Looks great.

I had a question about the audio output for this TV. I've hooked up a Vizio S4251w-B4 soundbar w/ Surround Sound through the Digital Out port. The only sound that I hear is from the Soundbar... nothing from the subwoofer and satellites. I've read somewhere in this thread that the TV downmixes external audio to stereo. However, I couldn't get a 5.1 even through the internal apps (Amazon, Youtube). 

Can someone confirm if this TV outputs only stereo through the digital audio output port? Or am I doing something wrong? 

post #10091 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

I went through this last year, it can be straightened. Have someone hold the set level while tightening the screws.

post #10092 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
Quote:

Are you talking about when using the stand or mounting on the wall?
post #10093 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Are you talking about when using the stand or mounting on the wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I went through this last year, it can be straightened. Have someone hold the set level while tightening the screws.

Sorry for not initially specifying, but yes, I am talking about the stand. Currently, the screws are all very tight. Should I loosen the screws, get someone to help me hold the set level, then re-tighten them?
post #10094 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes and if they doesn't work maybe you can shim the stand. That would drive me nuts so I understand wink.gif
post #10095 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Yes and if they doesn't work maybe you can shim the stand. That would drive me nuts so I understand wink.gif

I'll try that today! I'm assuming that the screws that needs to be tinkered with are those that attach the mount on the back of the panel to the stand, and not those that reside only on the stand.

post #10096 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll try that today! I'm assuming that the screws that needs to be tinkered with are those that attach the mount on the back of the panel to the stand, and not those that reside only on the stand.

I'm not using the stand mount but maybe it's adjustable just for this reason.
post #10097 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Right

post #10098 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

It's amazing how fast a tv can shrink. We just mounted our new 65ST60 last night and it has shrunk already. eek.gif

I think it looks perfect, albeit it's only slightly larger than the 60" it replaced, it looks like it "fits" better than the 60" did. The wall is long and if we built a new longer and lower console, then I'd need at least an 80" to get the same feel. Hubby can't tell the difference in size or picture quality. rolleyes.gif
kkirsche likes this.

post #10099 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

I notice mine gets a tiny bit tilted as well, and I assume it's the TV stand's mount/screws.

Also, when you put in settings like you did with the ones from CNET's website, that's not calibrating the TV. That's plugging in random numbers. Calibrating involves using test patterns to determine the best settings for your TV, such as a calibration disc to set the brightness (black level) and contrast (white level) settings. If you like how it looks, great.

I wouldn't say they are just "random numbers". They are settings arrived at by people who are familiar with arriving at appropriate settings for various programming types and panels. My guess is they would be more than adequate for the vast majority of owners.

I have a question - Does anybody know how many plasma owners ever change anything once it is out of the box? 25%? 50% 10%? How many pay attention to "breaking in" the panel?

mike
post #10100 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

I wouldn't say they are just "random numbers". They are settings arrived at by people who are familiar with arriving at appropriate settings for various programming types and panels. My guess is they would be more than adequate for the vast majority of owners.

I have a question - Does anybody know how many plasma owners ever change anything once it is out of the box? 25%? 50% 10%? How many pay attention to "breaking in" the panel?

mike

I'd say 90% of the people subscribed to this thread are breaking their ST60 panels in wink.gif
post #10101 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 12:08 PM

Liked: 11
I have the same issue. The guys from BB who delivered it must have been used to delivering washers, dryers and fridges as they slapped everything together as quickly as they could and even got smudge marks all over the screen when they try to lift my 65" straight up out of the box. Any ways, they put the stands together with a power drill and the stand now dips to the right. I think I'm going to just wall mount it, but it does drive me crazy!
post #10102 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken54321 View Post

I have the same issue. The guys from BB who delivered it must have been used to delivering washers, dryers and fridges as they slapped everything together as quickly as they could and even got smudge marks all over the screen when they try to lift my 65" straight up out of the box. Any ways, they put the stands together with a power drill and the stand now dips to the right. I think I'm going to just wall mount it, but it does drive me crazy!

I got my wall mount from Amazon, and since the wall I wanted to mount it on has 24" studs on center, it had to be the right one. It is a great mount and was a great deal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001TICH08/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1386529964&sr=8-1&pi=SX200
post #10103 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

mike

They are absolutely random numbers, because they are based on measurements of a different TV that has no relation to your TV. Most calibrators don't post their settings because they know every TV is different and applying one set of numbers to another TV has no guarantee of making it look better. It's more than adequate for some people because they think it's a magic solution that will transform their TV, especially around here, despite the "S" for "Science" in AVS...
post #10104 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment.

I will provide you with a bunch of "random" numbers for you to apply to your panel. You can choose any picture mode that you wish.

I doubt that you will find the display worth watching.

Of course there are variations from panel to panel and room to room. That is why it is preferential to have a panel properly calibrated in the environment in which it will be used. I'm guessing few would argue that point.

However, not everyone wants to spring for $400, or more, to squeeze the last 10% of PQ out of their panel.

Quote:
They are absolutely random numbers, because they are based on measurements of a different TV that has no relation to your TV. Most calibrators don't post their settings because they know every TV is different and applying one set of numbers to another TV has no guarantee of making it look better. It's more than adequate for some people because they think it's a magic solution that will transform their TV, especially around here, despite the "S" for "Science" in AVS...

Don't take this stuff so seriously. All we are trying to do is have some fun in a hobby that we enjoy. Even in science, there is room for error.

Cheers!
post #10105 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 03:14 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot20 View Post

Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment.

I will provide you with a bunch of "random" numbers for you to apply to your panel. You can choose any picture mode that you wish.

I doubt that you will find the display worth watching.

Of course there are variations from panel to panel and room to room. That is why it is preferential to have a panel properly calibrated in the environment in which it will be used. I'm guessing few would argue that point.

However, not everyone wants to spring for $400, or more, to squeeze the last 10% of PQ out of their panel.
Don't take this stuff so seriously. All we are trying to do is have some fun in a hobby that we enjoy. Even in science, there is room for error.

Cheers!

That's the thing in many cases "random" numbers within reason, ie following a trend through ire scale to get white balance set might be just as good as using someone else's calibration, might be better, or it might be worse. Why do you think cnet, d-nice, s&v, etc. All have different sets of numbers? my bet is the final picture of all of then looks roughly similar on their calibrated sets.

If people want a real calibrated picture they need to spend some time with meter and software or hire a pro, otherwise it's a shot in the dark. If plugging in someone else's numbers gets a picture that you like and makes you happy then that's great, just don't think it's a calibrated or reference image.
post #10106 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 07:37 PM

any suggestions on the best way to clean my new st60?
post #10107 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylan View Post

any suggestions on the best way to clean my new st60?

Use a mico fiber cloth, dampened with a little water if necessary, then dry with the same kind of cloth.
post #10108 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 07:52 PM

thanks comfy!
comfynumb likes this.
post #10109 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:

Use a mico fiber cloth, dampened with a little water if necessary, then dry with the same kind of cloth.
+1

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #10110 of 13060 Old 12-08-2013, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Here is something interesting I've noticed as of late. My wife and I play lego marvel super heroes and it's has at the top left and right large icons of our current characters and hearts. After playing for a few hours we quit and I run the screen wipe. Here is the weird part, only on the left side of the screen does it ever show any IR from the character icon. Nothing changes, both icons are always up the same amount, yet the right side never shows the IR. I thought that was a bit strange. I've checked 3 nights in a row and same results. Good news though is after about 3 minutes of screen wipes the IR is completely gone.

PSN: RetroGiant
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page