Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

But PQ is the reason you bought a plasma, right? If so, I would not be deterred. And if you're already on Warm 2 and a reasonable Contrast (> 60) with CATS off, it's likely already about as bad as it can get.
That's a pretty good summary.
It is often said that most people don't see it at all. So, unless you know you are prone to seeing it, reporting that you don't just confuses the issue, as it may give people hope that it's a sample variation, and there are "good sets" to be had.

I've heard this before and to me it's better than my eyes/brain can see it and yours can't. But maybe that is true.
With regard to a similar problem with DLP displays the Navy determined that it was individual people who could see the trails. As far as I know, that's the case with plasma too. Some people can train themselves to not see, most never see, and a few folks go crazy. wink.gif
sheshechic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

With regard to a similar problem with DLP displays the Navy determined that it was individual people who could see the trails. As far as I know, that's the case with plasma too. Some people can train themselves to not see, most never see, and a few folks go crazy. wink.gif

Then I'm in the wrong business... I should be training people not to see biggrin.gif
Old 12-12-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I will say that I had to go to YouTube to see the rainbow effect and it was very clear in the video I looked at. So does that mean I could see it if it was present on my panel?
Old 12-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJames03 View Post

New owner here, only have about 30hrs on my ST60 - but so far so good!

I'm just planning on varying the full screen viewing content for the first 100hrs and then actually start to change some settings around.

Quick question though - Is it possible to have settings specific to each input source? Or are the settings global?

IE: If I wanted different picture settings for my PS4 then I do for DirectTV - is that possible?

Thanks in advance!

Cinema and custom are input specific, all others are global.
TJames03 likes this.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:03 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I will say that I had to go to YouTube to see the rainbow effect and it was very clear in the video I looked at. So does that mean I could see it if it was present on my panel?

Which video did you watch? Every YouTube video I've watched so far seems to exaggerate the effect a little bit.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerx9 View Post

My ST60 has started making a pretty nasty buzz that's quite audible from 3m away, particularly on bright images. Not quite at 100 hours yet. Noticed this during slides.

It's not entirely obvious in the video, but all the background noise you hear is essentially buzz. Anything I can do about that?

I have two of these TVs, they both buzz. One is louder than the other but both buzz. All you can do is try another TV or call Panasonic. There's people on here who say theirs doesn't buzz.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiman View Post

Which video did you watch? Every YouTube video I've watched so far seems to exaggerate the effect a little bit.

http://youtu.be/VXywRRlgmu4

After researching this it appears very few people see this effect and I'm glad I don't smile.gif
sheshechic likes this.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:11 PM

Even though mine technically does buzz, it's so faint as to hardly be worth mentioning, and not even remotely a problem.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:

http://youtu.be/VXywRRlgmu4

After researching this it appears very few people see this effect and I'm glad I don't smile.gif

That's MUCH worse and more prevalent than what I've experienced. But then again, I haven't tested with Sin City. When I get home I'll pop it in and see how it looks.

I have a feeling the video captures accentuate the problem.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's MUCH worse and more prevalent than what I've experienced. But then again, I haven't tested with Sin City. When I get home I'll pop it in and see how it looks.

I have a feeling the video captures accentuate the problem.

I also have sin city on BD and I'm going to take another peek lol.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:02 PM

Liked: 12
What is the difference between ir and burn in? I don't believe it but after 8 hours of use I see faint ir of a channel logo in the bottom right corner. Surely I'm seeing things!
Old 12-12-2013, 05:22 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by marky12 View Post

I believe eco mode has to do with dimming the panel to meet energy savings standard.

hmmm interesting. I figured it would do something to meet the energy standard just wasn't sure what. Is there a general consensus that this setting should be turned to off?
Old 12-12-2013, 05:41 PM

Anyone else annoyed at how the hdmi inputs are positioned? It causes the hdmi cables to stick out of the side of the TV and create a real dirty look.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 View Post

hmmm interesting. I figured it would do something to meet the energy standard just wasn't sure what. Is there a general consensus that this setting should be turned to off?
Yes. Set to Standard.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 12-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by benz5521 View Post

Anyone else annoyed at how the hdmi inputs are positioned? It causes the hdmi cables to stick out of the side of the TV and create a real dirty look.
Quote:

I posted this back in June, and it continues to work great; in particular, the cable tie hasn't popped out even once:

The AmazonBasics cables work fine, too. This is the back of my 50ST60. Each Amazon cable is connected to a bulkier, ferrite cored Monoprice 28 AWG cable with a coupler, with a total length up to 16 feet. They work great. Note also I used the supplied cable tie that plugs into a hole in the back of the case. It provides strain relief and has stayed in place as I slide the TV around my Anthrocart desk a couple times a day to get it closer and in front of the monitor arm. (I stuck plastic Super Sliders on the bottom of the stand to make it easy to slide.) The cables don't put any extra strain on the TV ports when sliding, so this has all worked out very well.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Cant remember if its this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Right-Angle-Adapter-Female/dp/B002LJNKNM/ref=sr_1_20?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386895593&sr=1-20&keywords=hdmi+adapter

or this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Right-Angle-Adapter-Female/dp/B001VL572I/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386895593&sr=1-21&keywords=hdmi+adapter

Old 12-12-2013, 06:03 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I use two of the 90 degree couplers from monoprice to "turn" the hdmi cable the way I needed it.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041907
Old 12-12-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We were just talking about all that:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1307543/plasma-rainbow-effect-like-dlp#post_24058892

The saddest part of it all is that it is at its worst when the set is calibrated. Do like the useless Standard mode and use Cool color temperature, enable CATS, and set Contrast to 50, and you'll minimize if not eliminate it, along with every reason you bought a plasma. Oh, and to twist the knife a bit, it's completely absent from 3D, even when calibrated.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. One thing I'd like to know is whether other plasmas exhibit the problem as much as the st60. I think if I knew that it's just a plasma thing and that exchanging my st60 for another plasma wouldn't fix the problem, then I can force myself to ignore it.

It's been reported for all the models in the 2013 Panasonic line, from S60 to ZT60. For the 2012 line and 2013 Samsungs, I don't have anything to add to what I wrote in the linked message. Like I wrote, the 50S60 and 50ST60 I tried suffered equally from it.

Some people see it ( a very small percentage), some don't. Once you see it, you can't unsee it. Those who can see it only experience it in different degrees on different plasmas. The only thing that can be done to make it stop is to buy an LED.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:15 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

If you want the cable to run along the back of the panel, then you need a HDMI cable with a 270 degree right angle hooked into the set.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Quote:

Cant remember if its this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Right-Angle-Adapter-Female/dp/B002LJNKNM/ref=sr_1_20?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386895593&sr=1-20&keywords=hdmi+adapter

or this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Right-Angle-Adapter-Female/dp/B001VL572I/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386895593&sr=1-21&keywords=hdmi+adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk218 View Post

Quote:

I use two of the 90 degree couplers from monoprice to "turn" the hdmi cable the way I needed it.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041907

I thought that RandyWalters uses this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041913&p_id=3850&seq=1&format=2

Old 12-12-2013, 06:34 PM

Liked: 10
Does anyone know how to turn off the video preview function off when scrolling through DLNA content in the Media Player App? I've searched around and couldn't find anything in this forum. I've tried the options menu, but there isn't much for the video. Any help would be appreciated because it makes it pretty laggy trying to scroll through several hundred movies. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041913&p_id=3850&seq=1&format=2
I use this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Tera-Grand-Premium-Adapter-Rotation/dp/B006GHYBGK/ref=pd_sim_e_7
sheshechic likes this.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I just tried one and it works just like my older tv's, a 270 degree. I'd think it's the same on an ST.

To the OP, I've also had good luck with the 8" port saver cables, thin and flexible.
sheshechic likes this.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylanD View Post

What is the difference between ir and burn in? I don't believe it but after 8 hours of use I see faint ir of a channel logo in the bottom right corner. Surely I'm seeing things!

Burn-in is permanent.

You should be avoiding channel logos for the first 100 hours.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:42 PM

Well then I don't need to be watching directv because all the channels have a stinking' logo and I don't have HBO!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well then I don't need to be watching directv because all the channels have a stinking' logo and I don't have HBO!

Zoom the picture and view ones without a dark logo wink.gif
I'm watching Pawn Stars on the history channel in HD right now with the Panny set to sidecut zoom and the logo does not show up. Do this for at least the first 100 hours. I have over 350 hours and I'm still doing it... Until I get to 500, but that's just me and probably not necessary.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:59 PM

Ya I guess thats what I gotta do! Good thing tho I enjoyed my 3d movie and I havent even done any settings except changed to warm2
Old 12-12-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ya I guess thats what I gotta do! Good thing tho I enjoyed my 3d movie and I havent even done any settings except changed to warm2

Only worry about hours upon hours of the same static logos, banners, etc.and even that will go away. Just enjoy your tv.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

This is off topic here, but the current OLED sets from LG and Samsung are not true OLED.

Well if that is true, I am not sure what to say, as they are amazing as is...........
Old 12-12-2013, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Man I am loving this ST60, at first I thought the picture was too dim until I found out I had the Eco mode on saver. After turning ECO mode to standard BLAM! the picture quality was unleashed. LOL Much brighter background colors are more uniform. A good way to show off the ST60 inky blacks, watch Charlie Rose. Pure black background makes guest float in the picture. This was my upgrade coming from a defective ST50 yellow globs issues. I was trying to figure out the galaxy s4 camera when I had taken the random photos.

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread