Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 352 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10531 of 12811 Old 12-18-2013, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I picked up a 60st60 last week and must say, the picture quality is much better than my 3 year old Samsung LCD. Prior to the Sammy I had a pioneer 43 and having the panny up in the room makes me remember why I loved my pioneer...fantastic blacks and deep and accurate color. Unless LCD makes a quantum leap or oled becomes more affordable, this thing is hard to beat for the price IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10532 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 02:18 AM

Liked: 10

Just got an ST60 last month and found something interesting on its back. There are some visible scratches around some of the screws on the black back panel of the TV. Curious how those happened. Are they normal for ST60?

The TV was delivered by Best Buy and they cut open from the top of the box before delivery. The guy explained that they just double check the screen is all right.

Thank you :)

post #10533 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 02:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 838
How to check hours:

Menu > Help > Version > Status4 (Axxxx - The # after the letter represents the # of hours)
fester99, dannov and TheDaveAbides like this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #10534 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzztempo View Post

Just got an ST60 last month and found something interesting on its back. There are some visible scratches around some of the screws on the black back panel of the TV. Curious how those happened. Are they normal for ST60?

The TV was delivered by Best Buy and they cut open from the top of the box before delivery. The guy explained that they just double check the screen is all right.

Thank you smile.gif

My opinion is that you got a returned TV or a store demo.

I also got a Best Buy delivery, and they brought it into my basement and did the initial box opening in front of me. The box was completely sealed upon arrival; if it hadn't been I probably would have sent them back for a new one. I also had to unscrew the four plugs in the VESA port screw holes. They were still in place and no scratches of any sort.

Also, the box opens near the bottom, right? My memory is a bit fuzzy but as I recall the bigger part of the box lifts off the base of the box... at least for my 60ST60. The box is still in my basement in case I ever need it, and I don't think there's any opening of any sort on the top. Maybe I'm storing it upside down and just got this backwards...

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #10535 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 04:01 AM

Liked: 13
Pic of your mounted setup?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizimes View Post

I mounted my 60" up late Monday night, had a chance to watch the intro to Star Trek "Into Darkness" and the intro to Quantum of Solace (which is one of my favorite intro scenes of all time), and the picture is absolutely unreal. I was out of town yesterday so I've only watched for less than a half hour, but what an upgrade from my 40" Sony XBR4. I've been watching these for about 8 months and finally pulled the trigger so I didn't miss out on this panel. Haven't started messing with settings too much, although I will probably lower the contrast a bit, but I can't wait to see what this TV is capable of. I'm hopefully going to get a professional calibration down the road as well. I'm not running slides and am going to not try to "baby" too much like some do. It is my main TV, and the only other TV I have is in the bedroom, so I don't have much of a choice.

Side note, can anyone link to the page that has info about the backlighting strips people were using with the set they were getting off Amazon for cheap? I also remember someone here saying they masked the silver bezel with something black to cut down on the ugly look this TV's bezel has. What was it that was used to put around the silver strip?

Anyone who is reading this thread (as I have been for 8 months) and on the fence about this TV should just go ahead and take the plunge. I'm glad I did, and would have regretted had I not been able to get one. I ordered mine from Best Buy, at a retail location, easy as pie.

I know there has been some talk about this as well, but I asked about a VT60, and told them the price I'd seen on Paul's TV and they would have matched it no questions asked. Never hurts to put it out there.

S
post #10536 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaveAbides View Post

Pic of your mounted setup?
S

I'll proudly post my 60ST60 biggrin.gif the picture is amazing with sound & vision magazines settings. Don't mind the room treatments they are not mounted yet.

post #10537 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Here is a pic of my brand new mounted 60". She's a beaut.

post #10538 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks great and your audio gear does too.
post #10539 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 07:57 AM

Liked: 15
How do you get to the scrolling white bar on the ST60? Can't seem to find it. Never had any problems getting to it on previous Panny's.
post #10540 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by benz5521 View Post

How do you get to the scrolling white bar on the ST60? Can't seem to find it. Never had any problems getting to it on previous Panny's.

Menu > Picture > Screen Settings > Screen Wipe.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #10541 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The screen wipe? Settings>picture>screen settings>screen wipe.
post #10542 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Looks great and your audio gear does too.

Much thanks. Took me a while to build everything up, but the Energy speakers are amazing. Can't see my two favorite pieces in the pic, but I've got my dual Outlaws in the corners. Only wish I had a dedicated room. I'm not real happy with the windows on either side, and I've got a window behind my seating also. Oh well, we all make due with what we have, and no room will ever be perfect (unless you're looking at some of the HT's they've been posting on AVS homepage...WOW). That's part of the enjoyment, making an unrealistic space your own.

post #10543 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Much thanks. Took me a while to build everything up, but the Energy speakers are amazing. Can't see my two favorite pieces in the pic, but I've got my dual Outlaws in the corners. Only wish I had a dedicated room. I'm not real happy with the windows on either side, and I've got a window behind my seating also. Oh well, we all make due with what we have, and no room will ever be perfect (unless you're looking at some of the HT's they've been posting on AVS homepage...WOW). That's part of the enjoyment, making an unrealistic space your own.

Your welcome smile.gif you've done well with your setup. I put heavy drapes over my windows, mainly for acoustic reasons and they helped a lot. I'm hoping to tame my room a bit more with the panels behind my Revel fronts and also the side walls. There's always something to add or do. Have a nice day I gotta run. PM me some time if you'd like we'll talk shop.
post #10544 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

How to check hours:

Menu > Help > Version > Status4 (Axxxx - The # after the letter represents the # of hours)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

My opinion is that you got a returned TV or a store demo.

I also got a Best Buy delivery, and they brought it into my basement and did the initial box opening in front of me. The box was completely sealed upon arrival; if it hadn't been I probably would have sent them back for a new one. I also had to unscrew the four plugs in the VESA port screw holes. They were still in place and no scratches of any sort.

Also, the box opens near the bottom, right? My memory is a bit fuzzy but as I recall the bigger part of the box lifts off the base of the box... at least for my 60ST60. The box is still in my basement in case I ever need it, and I don't think there's any opening of any sort on the top. Maybe I'm storing it upside down and just got this backwards...

Marc

I did check the hours of the TV, using the version value as well as the service menu. I think it was less than 1 hour when I started playing slides. Is Best Buy able to clear this number?

Can Best Buy really deliver a return or store demo as a new purchase? And what is VESA port that you need to unscrew plugs first? I haven't found any ports that need me to unscrew...

Thank you for the replys.

post #10545 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

BB cannot clear that number.
The VESA port plugs are where the screw holes are for the wall mouting bracket. If youre not going to mount it leave them in.

post #10546 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I don't think I this possible to reset the hours used, short of massive intervention. The VESA screw holes are where the wall mount connects to the TV. Four holes on the back for mounting. The TV ships with little plastic black plugs in these holes... you have to remove the plastic plugs to expose the vesa screw holes.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #10547 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:

I'm also not going to go looking for it either.

That's the key.  Since I started looking for lip synch problems, I have a hard time concentrating on dialog because I'm fixated on the the synch.  I never noticed it on my old crappy Sony 46".  I imagine the Sony had a delay also, but I just never noticed it.  I wish I had never started looking for it.

I set the delay on my receiver for my DirecTV box.  I believe it is spot on.  But different DirecTV content has lip synch problems of its own.  Live talking heads on CNN and ESPN appear to be perfect.  Top Chef on Bravo is terrible: the synch problems vary from scene to scene - it seems like a problem with the content, not my equipment.  Showtime on Demand downloaded to my DTV box is the worst - the synch is way off.  But if I play the same episode of the same program off the DVR or watch live, there's no problem. 

Blu-rays off my PS3 have a slightly longer delay that DirecTV content.  If I set the delay for the PS3, or split the difference, it bugs me when I watch DirecTV.  If I leave the delay set for DirecTV, I don't notice when watching blu-rays.  So I just leave it set for the DirecTV box.

What's the best way to figure out the delay time for the DirecTV box?  I played audio through the TV speakers and my AVR connected speakers at the same time and then changed the AVR delay until they were synchronized.  Is there a better way?  (For blu-ray, I also used the audio calibration on the WoW disc and got the same results as doing it by ear.)

post #10548 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 11:43 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Sweet setup. How's the lighting with those two big windows there?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
post #10549 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 11:56 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenaniganz08 View Post

Wrong, all plasma factories have already been shut down (previously estimated to be march 2014). I don't understand why people on this forum don't get this.

Panasonic is out of the Plasma game, in other words once the current supply of 2013 Plasmas are sold = that's it.

really? and how would you know theyve all been shut down? lol
post #10550 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 12:03 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

I'm getting more disappointed with the brightness of the ST60 the more I watch it. I have the brightness on high and it's stil pretty dim in a fairly low light situation.

Using the cinema mode without changing settings has been more than bright enough for me even in daylight.
post #10551 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 12:06 PM

Liked: 16
Folks - on hour 50 of the slides on my 55ST60...watched a quick hockey game yesterday though (ccouldn't resist), and was SO happy at the picture, although the ice looked a bit greyed out.

I just wanted to say thank you on behalf of so many of us that rarely post here but are the beneficiaries of the best, unfiltered information about our new purchases! THANKS!!!

Quick quesion. I have an existing HDMI splitter whose HDMI cable runs through a 15ft conduit. Am I better to be running 3 HDMI cables through the conduit, or keep the 1 and use the splitter. Is image degredation an issue? My splitter is an HDX-501 if that matters.

I need HDMI for 3 things - Rogers Cable (Scientific Atlanta receiver, i think), PS3, and from time to time, my macbook.

Thanks again everyone and happy holidays!
post #10552 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 View Post

They have put out in multiple press releases that production was going to end. If you're on the fence, shoot. If not, you're going to miss out. Just Google Panasonic plasma production. We are at the end of these panels.
bbtfastback likes this.

post #10553 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Sweet setup. How's the lighting with those two big windows there?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

It's not terrible. I've got some black out curtains that now (since I switched from a Sony XBR4) basically get tucked behind the sides of the TV. I don't watch much during the day unless I've got a news channel on in the background though since my office is basically in the same room. That being said, I don't have another option in my current house to change my setup, be it in another room, or rearranging this room. I'm VERY content either way. I've only got one more piece to end my disease of constantly upgrading, an AVR. Then, my life will be complete. biggrin.gif

That is, until I have the opportunity for a dedicated room...

post #10554 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 12:48 PM

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 View Post

Panasonic shut down all its factories in December and will stop selling all plasmas in March 2014.

In other words no more 2013 plasmas are ever going to be made, so don't expect a resupply.

Why is it that difficult to understand that?
post #10555 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydoselefantes View Post

That's the key.  Since I started looking for lip synch problems, I have a hard time concentrating on dialog because I'm fixated on the the synch.  I never noticed it on my old crappy Sony 46".  I imagine the Sony had a delay also, but I just never noticed it.  I wish I had never started looking for it.

I set the delay on my receiver for my DirecTV box.  I believe it is spot on.  But different DirecTV content has lip synch problems of its own.  Live talking heads on CNN and ESPN appear to be perfect.  Top Chef on Bravo is terrible: the synch problems vary from scene to scene - it seems like a problem with the content, not my equipment.  Showtime on Demand downloaded to my DTV box is the worst - the synch is way off.  But if I play the same episode of the same program off the DVR or watch live, there's no problem. 

Blu-rays off my PS3 have a slightly longer delay that DirecTV content.  If I set the delay for the PS3, or split the difference, it bugs me when I watch DirecTV.  If I leave the delay set for DirecTV, I don't notice when watching blu-rays.  So I just leave it set for the DirecTV box.

What's the best way to figure out the delay time for the DirecTV box?  I played audio through the TV speakers and my AVR connected speakers at the same time and then changed the AVR delay until they were synchronized.  Is there a better way?  (For blu-ray, I also used the audio calibration on the WoW disc and got the same results as doing it by ear.)

I would imagine it's a trial by error process, although some of the more "technical" people on this thread may be able to shed a little more light on this. I actually, after I said I was not going to, began to look for issues with lip synching and did not notice anything on my DirecTV box and my Xbox 360.

post #10556 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenaniganz08 View Post

Panasonic shut down all its factories in December and will stop selling all plasmas in March 2014.

In other words no more 2013 plasmas are ever going to be made, so don't expect a resupply.

Why is it that difficult to understand that?

+1
shenaniganz08 and dannov like this.

post #10557 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 01:28 PM

Liked: 13
guys..thoughts on purchasing the square trade? I normally never buy extended warranties. Seem like they are popular on here. I Have until tomorrow to purchase. THanks for any advice/info.
post #10558 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The 3 year ST warranty through Amazon is fairly cheap and worthwhile imo.

post #10559 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 01:36 PM

Liked: 53
deleted
post #10560 of 12811 Old 12-19-2013, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

I'm using my Yamaha receiver to switch everything too. When you go through the Harmony setup wizard for activities it asks you which receiver input you want for that particular activity (watch cable TV, watch DVD). Did you not set up any activities?

My problem was getting the Harmony to switch TV inputs from HDMI1 back to the internal tuner (ant/cable) which I needed to do in order to get the correct audio output and transport controls (FF, REW, pause etc) while watching Netflix streaming media.

I had this problem and it drove me nuts! I was fiddling around with my harmony account on the computer the other day and found and option for harmony updates for my denon receiver and ST60 devices. I did the update and now the remote always goes to the correct input!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page