Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 36 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1051 of 13060 Old 04-05-2013, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My only concern about purchasing a 65" VT60 is reflection. I watch sports during the day and my wife watches other stuff during the day. The room gets a lot of day light as behind the panel and to the left and right are large floor to ceiling windows about 15 in length on one side and a sliding glass door on the other side. The windows have an eastern exposure so the light won't hit the panel from the front. Any comments as to whether the F85 will do better with reflection then the vt60?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 13060 Old 04-05-2013, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

Are you upset as a result of actual gaming experience or from the reports on the UK version? If the former, which games have you played?
The reports and talk about it. I have played Halo 4 and Call of Duty so far. I'm going to play some Bioshock in a few minutes and spend some more time in Call of Duty or Halo 4 to really tell what is going on.

I'm also about to re-do all my settings for my Xbox's input. Turning everything off and gamemode on.
post #1053 of 13060 Old 04-05-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinchats View Post

My only concern about purchasing a 65" VT60 is reflection. I watch sports during the day and my wife watches other stuff during the day. The room gets a lot of day light as behind the panel and to the left and right are large floor to ceiling windows about 15 in length on one side and a sliding glass door on the other side. The windows have an eastern exposure so the light won't hit the panel from the front. Any comments as to whether the F85 will do better with reflection then the vt60?

thanks

If you are not in a rush then I would wait for reviews of the VT60 to come out before making your decision. Thats the only time well know how well it will perform in "bright" rooms and which filter is better for your situation.....
post #1054 of 13060 Old 04-05-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinchats View Post

thanks

We will not know until the VT60 is actually released.

I have looked at the F8500 quite a bit already. It is a very impressive panel. The filter is very aggressive and rejects reflections better than any plasma I have ever seen. It also keeps the blacks very black even in moderate lighting. It is also a very bright TV which will combat bright light conditions very well.

We will have to wait to see how the VT and ZT compare. I have not had the chance to compare the 8500 and an ST60 side by side either because they are never displayed in the same area of BB. Once more sets are released to different dealers we will be able to do more comparisons.
post #1055 of 13060 Old 04-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

I guess Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike players should probably just adapt and give up parrying on a laggy display. smile.gif

Seriously now, people have been playing and practicing SF3 on GGPO and Supercade for YEARS and they can parry online. If you can parry online, then you can parry offline on a display with 2 to 3 frames of lag. You guys are taking this so far out of proportion.

Had some time to pop in a Blu-ray. Game mode for sure turns off 24 fps mode. So my advice is, set up the TV under Custom settings, turn as much stuff off and put game mode on, and calibrate. Use that for any usage like PC or gaming, or regular TV watching. Set up Cinema mode, turn as much stuff off, turn game mode off, turn 24 fps on and set it to whatever you desire. Calibrate. Use Cinema for watching film. Then you just swap between the two picture modes rather than having to go in menu to turn on/off options based on the content you watch. It's easier much that way, especially with stuff like game mode buried under a bunch of sub-menus. I wouldn't bother with the other 3 picture modes since they disable the pro calibration settings.

As for the TV being in a light room: I have a window with see through curtains on it, so light does hit the TV. On my UT50 before I took it back it was noticeable during the daylight. Off angle window lighting wasn't so bad, I never noticed any light from the window 90 degrees from it, but I could see the window across it reflected in the picture. It wasn't really bad and the TV still had pop to it. The ST60, however, almost completely filters out the light from the window with see through curtains. It looks great during the day time, and I'm really surprised because I hated the filter on my Sony CRT and ended up removing it and controlling the light during the day time. The filter on the ST60 is good, and it doesn't soften the image at all, everything is pixel clear.

Besides the minor input lag, which isn't really as bad as I thought it could be, I couldn't be happier. Oh, but one thing I don't like about it, and I noticed it on other plasmas, is the ghosting on fast horizontal moving objects. That actually gets on my nerves, and I wish I knew how to get rid of it. Don't really tend to notice it during 3D, but in 2D mode it really pops out at times.
post #1056 of 13060 Old 04-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 70
Superfluous post deleted.
post #1057 of 13060 Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

oldsmoboat,

I just went looking for it again to link it... and couldn't find it. Maybe D-Nice can post a link here... or give me permission to pm you the Word file. I don't want to publish someone else's content without permission first.

FWIW regarding your screen name: I had a 1969 Olds 442 clone when I lived in Charleston, South Carolina back in 1990 to 1993. Used to bracket race it at Cooper River Drag Strip mostly just for grins. And grins abounded. A 1/8 mile drag strip, still I finally had the car turning 7.10 in the 1/8 mile at 102 mph. Supposedly translates to low elevens in the quarter mile. Even bracket racing is out of my financial reach these days being early retired and all, but that Olds sure was fun. A real torque monster!

It was a 455 motor bored out a bit with a lot of Joe Mondello's tricks, camshaft, etc.

Back to topic: I have the Word file with D-Nice's 2013 instructions and will gladly pm that to you if D-Nice says it's ok.

Kind regards,

Micke S.
My 455 was in a jet boat. Lots of Mondello parts. The wife and I toured his shop years ago.
post #1058 of 13060 Old 04-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

post #1059 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Cool. I'm guessing that the torque "snap" of a 4.25" stroke olds big block would get that boat up on plane in a hurry! I always liked dealing with Joe Mondello. All around good guy IMHO. Treated me like a customer which was rare even back then.

Now back to the ST60... ;-)

p.s.: The instructions might not do much for you; they appear to be basic for AVS newb type people... like me.
And me.
I've always used Video Essentials to calibrate my TVs. This time, I want to run the slides and possibly get an ISF calibration.
post #1060 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 08:26 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad_Dracule View Post

You guys clearly dont understand each other and talking about different experiences. Here is an easy example... while playing a fighting game there is a visual cue that tells you the opponent is going to do a certain move. Adding in 30ms of lag could be the difference between you blocking/countering that move or getting hit by it. Or even easier think of it like you and another person on a set with less input lag and all you have to do is wait for a light on the screen to turn green then hit your button. The less input lag set automatically has an advantage. You can debate it all you want but its fact. It seems you are in the camp of having just purchased the set and trying to defend your purchase when there is no need. You enjoy the set and can game on it comfortably so enjoy it and have fun!

You just described 9/10 arguments on this forum. Everyone getting mad because each side is having a different conversation entirely. Subjective evaluations of what's "playable" or not vs. whether all else being equal more or less lag is an advantage or not.
post #1061 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfjax87 View Post

Just mounted my p50st60. Gotta say, this tv is awesome. I originally wanted an led lcd, but after reading up on everything about plasmas I went ahead on the panny. The picture quality and black levels blow away my old 42" lcd. My big concern was with glare cause I there are a lot of windows on the side of the tv, but no problems in full sunlight. I haven't watched any blu-ray yet because everything has the black bars top and bottom and I haven't hit 100 hours yet.

Also, I've played some assassin's creed 3 on it and have not noticed any more lag than what I had with my lcd. But I'm a causal gamer and prefer sandbox style games over pure fps like call of duty, so lag is never a huge concern with me. Now I'm waiting for dnice to finish up all his work so I can dial in the picture. But out of the box, I'm happy.

If you want to watch BR without black bars, just zoom in (Zoom 2 on my soon to be replaced Panny PY70 does the trick). Of course this advice is just for breaking in, watching it like that cuts of the sides and is a crude way of pan and scan (no panning). When u have 1.85:1 content, overscan already does the trick on most tv's.

(On a side note: first post here, so hello everyone!)
post #1062 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I sold my 55UT50 and now have a 55ST60 on the way from abt. I always loved the deep black and overall picture quality,but I always thought the image was too soft. Hopefully ST60 will deliver on that.
post #1063 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmoboat View Post

And me.
I've always used Video Essentials to calibrate my TVs. This time, I want to run the slides and possibly get an ISF calibration.

Running the slides would be pointless then. The only reason to run the slides is to age the panel at the same rate as D-nice & then plugin his settings & then getting a similar picture as him. Even doing this will not calibrate your tv. I would watch regular content for a couple months & then have someone calibrate your set.
post #1064 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post

Over the years I've tried a number of different plasma displays from LG, Samsung and Panasonic. Although the picture was always good, I was distracted and annoyed by the buzzing they all exhibited. Its something I'm just very sensitive to. So I stayed with LCD for many years, hoping that some day a "buzzless" plasma might make an appearance. I recently read Chad B's review of the 50"ST60 in which he noted only a minimal amount of buzzing. I thought the time might be right to try a plasma set again.

Off I went to Best Buy and loaded up a 50" ST60. As the kids say, OMG! What an amazing TV! Its true, there is very little buzzing. Its only evident on mostly white screens and then only if I listen for it. Using just the weak TV speakers on a low volume is enough to cover the buzzing sound. And the picture is stellar. I used Chad's suggestion of starting with the Home Theater picture setting which I tweaked just a tiny bit after running the Digital Video Essentials disc. I've been drooling over the deep, dark, rich blacks and great color and contrast. I could not be more pleased with my purchase.

That sounds great! Sorry if it's been brought up already because I haven't heard anyone ask or mention it, but is there any issues with IR on the ST60 or any of the 2013 panny's?
post #1065 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
I know input lag has been discussed every few pages or so, but has anyone tested it on a US model yet with the proper equipment? Game Mode and non-Game modes? I can't seem to find anything but the UK testing...
post #1066 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Running the slides would be pointless then. The only reason to run the slides is to age the panel at the same rate as D-nice & then plugin his settings & then getting a similar picture as him. Even doing this will not calibrate your tv. I would watch regular content for a couple months & then have someone calibrate your set.
Thanks for the info. Learn something new every day.
post #1067 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post

I sold my 55UT50 and now have a 55ST60 on the way from abt. I always loved the deep black and overall picture quality,but I always thought the image was too soft. Hopefully ST60 will deliver on that.

I replaced a Samsung 650 Series, and at first I thought the ST60 was soft. But I think I had the same experience with my Samsung, it took a good 3 or 4 days of watching a lot of content and now it looks pretty damn sharp to me. Overall I'm very happy after some initial concerns, especially with HD cable content which now looks good. Guess the phosphors really do need time to settle lol.
post #1068 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmoboat View Post

Thanks for the info. Learn something new every day.

The slides help age the phosphers evenly, but they are not "needed" its a personal choice. If you want to get as simillar as possible results to what DNice posts without actually having him come to your home and calibrate your TV you would follow his method to a T...Otherwise a mixture of content is OK. you can run the slides when not running content and that is OK to. Sometimes people think the slides are "required" becasue of the amount they are talked about, but there are millions of people who never run slides or dont even know about the slides and just watch the TV normally. watch a good variety of content and youll be OK smile.gif enjoy your new TV wink.gif

I wouldnt say its "pointless" to run the slides, there is a reason to run them, but that reason is not "needed" to get your set calibrated smile.gif
fester99 likes this.
post #1069 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 12:07 PM

Liked: 12
post #1070 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

It should be noted that this is an EU only model wink.gif dont want to get peoples hopes up that this is coming to NA wink.gif it bodes well for the VT60 and ZT60 however if the readings are accurate.....
post #1071 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

post #1072 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:

oldsmoboat,

Thanks. And that sounds like a plan.
post #1073 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

oldsmoboat,

No idea why I keep losing this, but D-Nice's instructions and slides for 2013 pannie plasmas are in post 1 over here. Coulda' swore the text was down last night but probably not. It's not a text file as I'd remembered, either. Just plain old thread text:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread

I suspect that may also be a place where he will post his settings.

For me, this is a bang for buck TV so I won't be getting a custom calibration. Besides, it's not like there is anyone within 75 miles of my goat trail that would be likely to come out anyway. biggrin.gif

My plan: run it in with d-nice's slides, try his settings when they are published, maybe tweak a thing or two for my own personal taste/viewing environment.

But I'm flexible; if I don't like the settings, proceed to plan B - or should I say "ChadB"... that is, his settings when or if posted.

Chad typically doesn't post settings for understanding reasons. However there is another option that will get you even better results than using D-Nice's' settings. Spectracal offers a diy kit for $150 that is excellent at that price. I would definitely check it out.
post #1074 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

oldsmoboat,

No idea why I keep losing this, but D-Nice's instructions and slides for 2013 pannie plasmas are in post 1 over here. Coulda' swore the text was down last night but probably not. It's not a text file as I'd remembered, either. Just plain old thread text:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread

I suspect that may also be a place where he will post his settings.

For me, this is a bang for buck TV so I won't be getting a custom calibration. Besides, it's not like there is anyone within 75 miles of my goat trail that would be likely to come out anyway. biggrin.gif

My plan: run it in with d-nice's slides, try his settings when they are published, maybe tweak a thing or two for my own personal taste/viewing environment.

But I'm flexible; if I don't like the settings, proceed to plan B - or should I say "ChadB"... that is, his settings when or if posted.

Chad typically doesn't post settings for understanding reasons. However there is another option that will get you even better results than using D-Nice's settings. Spectracal offers a diy kit for $150 that is excellent at that price. I would definitely check it out.
post #1075 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

post #1076 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

cadett,

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at that.

mm
No problem. Just trying to help.
post #1077 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The review for the ST60 is available on Plasma Tv Buying Guide. (Sorry but the link will not post)
post #1078 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

post #1079 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 01:17 PM

OT is that pretty blonde with the forehead & dead eyes a morning talk show host, espn or reality star? She looks familiar, & the recent image feature keeps haunting me.
post #1080 of 13060 Old 04-06-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1ac View Post

The review for the ST60 is available on Plasma Tv Buying Guide. (Sorry but the link will not post)

Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad to see every good point I mentioned was confirmed by this review and it wasn't my enthusiasm speaking!!! And there is real world lag testing GO CRAZY!!! Lol http://reviews.*******************.com/panasonic-plasma-tv/panasonic-tcp60st60.html
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page