Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 361 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10801 of 12862 Old 12-31-2013, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Anyone know what settings to use in your Verizon fios box for sharpness? All recommendations suggest sharpness to be 0 in with the panny but it looks better at with 50. Is the cable feed the issue or am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10802 of 12862 Old 12-31-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
0 is basically no increase, i.e. flat, unprocessed. If your cable is slightly unsharp, raising the sharpness will help. Its an individual preference thing. As long as it doesnt add noticeable noise to the signal, you can set it at whatever you think looks best.

post #10803 of 12862 Old 12-31-2013, 03:44 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Unfortunately I wouldn't count on that, there have been many reports of that's it. Try Sears, BB, try them all because now they're scarce. Best of luck.

The Panasonic TC-P50ST60 is out of stock at all the big box and small brick & mortar stories in south Jersey/Philadelphia/Delaware area. In case anyone is interested, B&H Photo in NYC have a few left. I ordered one yesterday.

Happy New Year.

post #10804 of 12862 Old 12-31-2013, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hmm, remote control on my st60 will only work when it is about 2" away from the ir reciever on the tv, anyone else seen this issue?

Only got the set yesterday, just wondering if I am missing something

Thanks, oh and Hi
post #10805 of 12862 Old 12-31-2013, 05:27 PM

Liked: 13
Does anyone have a link to suggested 3D settings?

I've tried searching, but it pulls up a bunch non-responsive results.

Edit: nm, found the ones at sound and vision. Watching Avatar now. Looks GREAT!

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/panasonic-viera-tc-p60st60-3d-plasma-hdtv-settings
ST60Chambers likes this.
post #10806 of 12862 Old 12-31-2013, 06:34 PM

So I just took delivery of the 60" ST60 from Pauls TV. It was an Open Box set, which I assumed would be a set that was opened, maybe used for a couple weeks to 30 day trial then returned or something along those lines. This one showed up covered in dust, which I thought might have just been from the moving company. The guys were nice, and it's 6:00 pm on NYE so I didn't want them standing around while I tried to load up D-Nice's slides to check uniformity, etc. I powered it up to make sure it turned on and didn't notice anything funny at a quick glance so I signed the papers which said it didn't have any physical damage (which it doesn't), so they left. After they were gone I remembered that it's supposed to come with two pairs of 3D glasses, which weren't there. I did get their 5 year warranty to cover essentially anything wrong with the TV, so I wasn't worried about there being anything wrong with the operation of the TV.

With that said, when I finally did load up D-Nices slides there is immediately TERRIBLE burn in evident on the screen in 3-4 different spots (one is a huge dts logo). Not good. So then I went into the service menu. The total run time of the TV is 2197 hours!!!!! It had been powered on 242 times. It was not sold as a floor / display model, which I have to assume it is. Needless to say I'm not happy. I definitely am not keeping the TV because of the burn in, but aside from just sending it back is there anything else you would do? Definitely seems like pretty cruddy customer service. IMG_0412.JPG 4292k .JPG file IMG_0414.JPG 1863k .JPG file IMG_0415.JPG 4613k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0412.JPG (4.19 MB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0414.JPG (1.82 MB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0415.JPG (4.50 MB, 50 views)
post #10807 of 12862 Old 12-31-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghenster View Post

Hmm, remote control on my st60 will only work when it is about 2" away from the ir reciever on the tv, anyone else seen this issue?

Only got the set yesterday, just wondering if I am missing something

Thanks, oh and Hi
Did you try another remote - like a universal remote from the cable company? To make sure it isn't simply a problem with the remote.
post #10808 of 12862 Old 12-31-2013, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

Did you try another remote - like a universal remote from the cable company? To make sure it isn't simply a problem with the remote.

Yep, tried that, used the reciever remote to learn the power command, same result, only works from a couple of inches away. If it wasn't for the tablet app remote I would be in full tantrum mode at the moment.

Tried a couple of other thing, like shielding the reciever from the main ambient light source in the room, but it's ir, it should be pretty tolerant. Every thing else in the room works fine. Ack, looks like I'm going back to the shop tomorrow:mad:
post #10809 of 12862 Old 12-31-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Should doesnt sound like an open box to me. That looks like a used TV. Used to demo a DTS system.

post #10810 of 12862 Old 12-31-2013, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronner View Post

So I just took delivery of the 60" ST60 from Pauls TV. It was an Open Box set, which I assumed would be a set that was opened, maybe used for a couple weeks to 30 day trial then returned or something along those lines. This one showed up covered in dust, which I thought might have just been from the moving company. The guys were nice, and it's 6:00 pm on NYE so I didn't want them standing around while I tried to load up D-Nice's slides to check uniformity, etc. I powered it up to make sure it turned on and didn't notice anything funny at a quick glance so I signed the papers which said it didn't have any physical damage (which it doesn't), so they left. After they were gone I remembered that it's supposed to come with two pairs of 3D glasses, which weren't there. I did get their 5 year warranty to cover essentially anything wrong with the TV, so I wasn't worried about there being anything wrong with the operation of the TV.

With that said, when I finally did load up D-Nices slides there is immediately TERRIBLE burn in evident on the screen in 3-4 different spots (one is a huge dts logo). Not good. So then I went into the service menu. The total run time of the TV is 2197 hours!!!!! It had been powered on 242 times. It was not sold as a floor / display model, which I have to assume it is. Needless to say I'm not happy. I definitely am not keeping the TV because of the burn in, but aside from just sending it back is there anything else you would do? Definitely seems like pretty cruddy customer service. IMG_0412.JPG 4292k .JPG file IMG_0414.JPG 1863k .JPG file IMG_0415.JPG 4613k .JPG file

You're not the first person to be unhappy with Paul's, I've seen more than a few people who said they would never buy from them again in other forums.
post #10811 of 12862 Old 12-31-2013, 10:54 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

Does your warranty cover burn it? make a claim

| Panasonic TC-P60ST60 | Pioneer Elite SC-81 | Sony PlayStation 3 | Sony PlayStation 4 | DirecTV HR44 Genie |
post #10812 of 12862 Old 01-01-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:

So I just took delivery of the 60" ST60 from Pauls TV. It was an Open Box set, which I assumed would be a set that was opened, maybe used for a couple weeks to 30 day trial then returned or something along those lines. ...
when I finally did load up D-Nices slides there is immediately TERRIBLE burn in evident on the screen in 3-4 different spots (one is a huge dts logo). Not good. So then I went into the service menu. The total run time of the TV is 2197 hours!!!!! It had been powered on 242 times. It was not sold as a floor / display model, which I have to assume it is. Needless to say I'm not happy. I definitely am not keeping the TV because of the burn in, but aside from just sending it back is there anything else you would do? Definitely seems like pretty cruddy customer service.

I was considering buying Sear's display model until I found the absolute last new 60ST60 at any Sears within 100 miles, and then made a long drive and got it. $1499, down from $1699. How much did Pauls charge you for that demo set? Good luck with the return process, I hope there is no restocking fee.

Panasonic 60ST60, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Polk RTiA9, PS3 Slim
post #10813 of 12862 Old 01-01-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinitio View Post

Does anyone have a link to suggested 3D settings?

I've tried searching, but it pulls up a bunch non-responsive results.

Edit: nm, found the ones at sound and vision. Watching Avatar now. Looks GREAT!

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/panasonic-viera-tc-p60st60-3d-plasma-hdtv-settings

So did you load those 3D settings exactly? How many hours on the tv? I'm about to roll over the 100 hour mark with my running slides like 12 hours a day and HDTV w/o logos/borders for the other 12 hours. Just wondering if you running 100 contrast plus high panel brightness is very wise, especially if the tv is only 100 hrs old.

Panasonic 60ST60, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Polk RTiA9, PS3 Slim
post #10814 of 12862 Old 01-01-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasdag View Post

I was considering buying Sear's display model until I found the absolute last new 60ST60 at any Sears within 100 miles, and then made a long drive and got it. $1499, down from $1699. How much did Pauls charge you for that demo set? Good luck with the return process, I hope there is no restocking fee.

$1330. They had it at $1399 for a new one, but this was the last one of any kind in their system apparently. They took off 5% for the open box.
post #10815 of 12862 Old 01-01-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester99 View Post

Does your warranty cover burn it? make a claim

Not sure yet. I will contact them today if they're open.
post #10816 of 12862 Old 01-01-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

You're not the first person to be unhappy with Paul's, I've seen more than a few people who said they would never buy from them again in other forums.

I've had the opposite experience with Paul's. My original ST60 came, I powered it up, and there was a huge grey/black bar down one side of the screen. I called Paul's customer service and they literally ordered me a new one on the spot. The shipping company came and picked the old one when they brought me a new one.

I generally found the service representatives, who are real people that work at Paul's, to be knowledgeable and friendly. I periodically check the ST60 prices, and I've yet to see a price that beats Paul's sale back in October. So in short, my experience was great.
post #10817 of 12862 Old 01-01-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasdag View Post

So did you load those 3D settings exactly? How many hours on the tv? I'm about to roll over the 100 hour mark with my running slides like 12 hours a day and HDTV w/o logos/borders for the other 12 hours. Just wondering if you running 100 contrast plus high panel brightness is very wise, especially if the tv is only 100 hrs old.

Yes, I loaded the settings exactly except for one setting. Under Sound and Vision's 3d Settings, for the "3D Effect" there seems to be a typo because it says "sssss." You can't set the 3D effect to that. So, originally I had the 3D effect set to +2 (high), but later I ratcheted it back down to 0. At +2, my girlfriend and I both thought the 3d effect was over the top. It strained our eyes. At 0, we still experienced the fun depth of 3D, but it wasn't as in your face. I think +1 might be the happy medium, but I'll have to experiment. Overall, the S&V settings are a great starting point. They suffer from the classic 3D issues: slight darkness and some loss of detail, but Avatar still looked amazing.

I have approximately 300 hours on the TV. I ran the D-Nice Slides for the first 100. I'm not worried about the contrast. I'll probably watch a 3D movie once every 1-2 months. Its more of a fun gimmick to me, and certainly not worth the 3D blu-ray premium, to me. I've tried to be smart about my viewing habits, but at the same time, I'm not babying the set. I doubt 2-3 hours (max) at full contrast would present serious issues. After viewing a wide range of content at various settings (D-Nice, Cnet, and WOW adjusted), I'm fairly confident my set can handle it. My feeling is that each set is individual. So, your mileage may vary.
Chris Norfleet likes this.
post #10818 of 12862 Old 01-01-2014, 11:08 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Was there a firmware update to improve the 3D performance? I read earlier that the ST60 3D performance was poor compared to a few others like the ST50 etc.
post #10819 of 12862 Old 01-01-2014, 12:24 PM

Called Pauls and they are going to come pick this one up tomorrow and swap it out for a brand new 55" VT60 for $1539 with no tax, which is $60 cheaper than Amazon. It sounds like the picture is even slightly better on the VT, and I think the 55" might be better-suited for my viewing distance anyway. I think it's a reasonable compromise. Too bad this ST60 didn't work out though.
post #10820 of 12862 Old 01-01-2014, 12:24 PM

I just bought a TC-P60ST60 and set it up last night. First thing I noticed was there is no audio or video out like my 7 year old Panasonic plasma. This is unfortunate because my sound system I like to pipe it through is an older analog system and I just ran an RCA cable to the AUX jacks on my pre amp.

Now it appears that the only audio out is the digital, so unless there is some way I haven't found yet to change the audio in jacks to audio out, it looks like I'll have to get a receiver with pre in capability so I can meld it into my existing system, (which has a separate amp & preamp) or see if I can get an adapter to convert the digital audio out to analog/RCA.

Is there a way to get analog audio out on this set, or am I out of luck for now?
post #10821 of 12862 Old 01-01-2014, 01:05 PM

Liked: 12

I was able to snag an open box ST60 from Best Buy for only $850!  I am very excited about the TV and the ridiculous deal I got.  I was skeptical about open box but the deal was too good to not take the chance.  Anyways, I checked the total hours and it had 520 hours.  I think that's fine...nothing noticeably wrong with it in terms of burn-in anywhere.  My question is whether or not I still need to run the D-Nice burn-in slides or not or if I can just change the settings right away.  Thanks in advance for any insight.

post #10822 of 12862 Old 01-01-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post

I just bought a TC-P60ST60 and set it up last night. First thing I noticed was there is no audio or video out like my 7 year old Panasonic plasma. This is unfortunate because my sound system I like to pipe it through is an older analog system and I just ran an RCA cable to the AUX jacks on my pre amp.

Now it appears that the only audio out is the digital, so unless there is some way I haven't found yet to change the audio in jacks to audio out, it looks like I'll have to get a receiver with pre in capability so I can meld it into my existing system, (which has a separate amp & preamp) or see if I can get an adapter to convert the digital audio out to analog/RCA.

Is there a way to get analog audio out on this set, or am I out of luck for now?
you can always try this to convert HDMI Audio Converter

| Panasonic TC-P60ST60 | Pioneer Elite SC-81 | Sony PlayStation 3 | Sony PlayStation 4 | DirecTV HR44 Genie |
post #10823 of 12862 Old 01-01-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester99 View Post

you can always try this to convert HDMI Audio Converter

I found this one, if this one works it looks like it'll handle all the inputs to the TV at once, no?

update - does this TV only output 5.1 audio? I found this converter as well, but it will only work on 2 channel digital output.
post #10824 of 12862 Old 01-01-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. Ive been watching all the bowl games on ESPN on my new 55ST60. Ive been changing the zoom due to the bright ESPN logo.

I noticed today, on the Rose Bowl game, it appears they have a burn-on friendly ESPN logo. Hope they keep it.

post #10825 of 12862 Old 01-01-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenlr View Post

Interesting. Ive been watching all the bowl games on ESPN on my new 55ST60. Ive been changing the zoom due to the bright ESPN logo.

I noticed today, on the Rose Bowl game, it appears they have a burn-on friendly ESPN logo. Hope they keep it.

I see they are using a translucent ESPN logo in the rose bowl game, now if they'd get rid of the banner down the bottom. I have over 600 hours now and doubt I have to worry but it's always in the back of your mind.
post #10826 of 12862 Old 01-01-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I sent them (ESPN) an email thanking them for the new logo, and telling them I hope they keep it.

Seriously, if it did burn it, it probably would not bother me, because it seems my TV is always on ESPN smile.gif
comfynumb likes this.

post #10827 of 12862 Old 01-01-2014, 02:37 PM

Received my TC-P60ST60 and did D-Nice slide burn in. Then I had chadb in to do the calibration (this is the second set he has done for us). All I can say is the difference is like night and day - skin tones, blacks, shadows - I really think it is the best picture I have ever seen on a TV. Well worth the investment...
post #10828 of 12862 Old 01-01-2014, 05:15 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:

There are many inexpensive optical-to-RCA converters in the $20-$30 range (such as the Monoprice # 6884 and other similar inexpensive units) that should work fine, but only if you're using external sources such as a cable box or sat receiver or DVD/Blu-Ray player etc as the TV's optical-out only outputs 2-channel stereo from external sources. These inexpensive units only decode 2-ch stereo signal but that's ok since the TV only outputs 2-ch from external sources anyway.

BUT - if you watch antenna or cable broadcasts through the TV's internal tuner then the TV will output 5.1 audio on some channels or broadcasts and the inexpensive converters will not decode that 5.1 signal. For that you'll need the much more expensive Gefen converter (the one that's in the $100-$130 range). When i was looking for one some time back Gefen was the only one who made one that would decode 5.1 but there may be others by now. This little detail is not widely mentioned in the specs for the inexpensive units, or is lost in the translation from Chinese to English. Reading reviews helped me realize this limitation of the inexpensive ones.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #10829 of 12862 Old 01-01-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:

I found this one, if this one works it looks like it'll handle all the inputs to the TV at once, no?

update - does this TV only output 5.1 audio? I found this converter as well, but it will only work on 2 channel digital output.
it will output 5.1 for internal sources, it will not pass through 5.1 from external sources it down converts it to 2.0, so the converter you found should work with the passthrough audio but only from external sources.

post #10830 of 12862 Old 01-01-2014, 06:35 PM

Liked: 40
Monoprice has HDMI splitters in the $40-$75 range that will "Supports compressed audio, such as DTS® Digital, Dolby® Digital, DTS-HD Master Audio™ and Dolby TrueHD™" by extracting the audio from HDMI cable. I'm using the #7974
4x1 HDMI® Switch w/ TOSlink & Digital Coaxial Audio Output (Audio Return Channel/3D/CEC Support) http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=7974&seq=1&format=2 that I've placed between my Directv DRV source and my 50ST690 plasma. I run a digital coax cable from the splitter to my Sunfire processor. It works like a charm. smile.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread - P55st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page