Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 370 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #11071 of 12715 Old 01-09-2014, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
if Bluray player is connected to TV vis Hdmi and out put optical cable from ST60 is send to sound bar is it sending decoded DD PCM (5.1) out from TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11072 of 12715 Old 01-09-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17

I downloaded the patterns, but did not see any instructions as to which order you adjust the settings, nor do I have the device that sits on the screen to measure the output.
Ive tried several of those fine tune settings, and to be honest, I can move the slider from -50 to +50 and not even see any difference on some of them.

My only problem right now, after trying several of the posted presets, is SOME face colors appear a little to red. Some appear perfect, depending on which channel. All other colors look perfect with the settings I have listed. I am thinking its a source issue more so that the TV at this point.

I was considering buying that device with the little camera that sits on the screen, and has the computer program to measure the screen, and walk you through the settings. The picture is so good now though, that I think it would just be a waste of money.

post #11073 of 12715 Old 01-09-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

I have an older APC (XS 1300) that I believe only shows Volts or Watts.  I can watch the power conditioner or the APC fluctuate wildly as the picture changes (up to 100-150W more or less).  I only really notice the buzzing when I fast forward thru commercials with my DVR.  There's only ambient noise and the picture is changing rapidly so the buzzing frequency also changes rapidly.

That..........is incredibly interesting and gives all the Plasma Owners a useful Tool to monitor their buzzing sets .
I'm sure I asked but does any of your Power Conditioning Equipment offer Voltage Stabilization ? That may be the missing Link in all of this .

Scott...................

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #11074 of 12715 Old 01-09-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post

if Bluray player is connected to TV vis Hdmi and out put optical cable from ST60 is send to sound bar is it sending decoded DD PCM (5.1) out from TV?

Correct. I just connected my ST60 to pre/pro via optical yesterday and it sounds very good.

Edit;
This is from a quite from S & V magazine. Which makes me wonder why I'm getting 5.1 because it definitely said DD 5.1 on my pre.

"be advised that the ST’s optical digital audio output you’ll use to feed the soundbar downconverts all multichannel Dolby Digital and DTS bitstreams to PCM stereo, which will bypass any DD or DTS decoder built into the soundbar and result in less-than-best sound quality. This practice is unfortunately common to most HDTVs today"
post #11075 of 12715 Old 01-09-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
The TV will convert 5.1 into stereo for audio coming in from another source like a cable box or Blu-ray player. But for the internal apps like Netflix (maybe internal TV tuner if you have an antenna?), it will pass on the 5.1 stream over optical.
post #11076 of 12715 Old 01-09-2014, 05:32 PM

Liked: 12

Thanks for posting the correct link.  I did the other one on my phone and must have goofed it up somehow.

post #11077 of 12715 Old 01-09-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

None of the Panasonic TVs have any sort of "auto-stretch" feature or ability. I've only seen it on Pioneers, Philips, and some Sonys. Panasonic has never had this though.

Hmmm. We got our first Panny plasma (long since replaced, about 10-12 years ago. It was a 42", not "true" HD - about the time HD first was coming out. Cost $5K. Had to mail order it as b&m shops didn't stock it. Because most TV was still SD, we set it to expand the pic to fit the screen. As I recall, we didn't have to keep changing thesettings - but my memory could be wrong.

Side note: The only 4:3 pics I see now are ADS! Why some company spend the big bucks to produce then buy airtime, and only produce it in 4:3 mode, is beyond me.
post #11078 of 12715 Old 01-09-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenlr View Post

I downloaded the patterns, but did not see any instructions as to which order you adjust the settings, nor do I have the device that sits on the screen to measure the output.

I just downloaded the patterns myself and never used them. I guess they're not as easy to use as a Disney disc, but there is av accompanying PDF files with instructions. Haven't opened it yet though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesphee View Post

Thanks for posting the correct link.  I did the other one on my phone and must have goofed it up somehow.

Yeah there were just no space between your last word and the URL, no big mistake wink.gif

post #11079 of 12715 Old 01-09-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

The TV will convert 5.1 into stereo for audio coming in from another source like a cable box or Blu-ray player. But for the internal apps like Netflix (maybe internal TV tuner if you have an antenna?), it will pass on the 5.1 stream over optical.

I'm confused by the quote I posted because it's saying the optical out will down sampling to PCM stereo. I just tried it again and the optical is putting out DD 5.1 with the Netflix app.
post #11080 of 12715 Old 01-09-2014, 06:17 PM

Liked: 13
FYI Disney Wow 2disc Blu ray has just dropped from $26.50 to $19.87 on amazon. I just ordered one, and will be rolling over 200 hrs on my 60ST60, and will be wowing it on Monday when I get the Blu ray. Hope I can get good skin tones calibrated, it seems a bit too brownish greenish for me, or like everyone has an unnaturally good sun tan.

Panasonic 60ST60, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Polk RTiA9, PS3 Slim
post #11081 of 12715 Old 01-09-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I'm confused by the quote I posted because it's saying the optical out will down sampling to PCM stereo. I just tried it again and the optical is putting out DD 5.1 with the Netflix app.

I think he was saying the optical out will not pass through DD5.1 from the HDMI input ports, but instead downsamples it to PCM stereo. It will output DD5.1 from the tuner and apps on the TV itself.

post #11082 of 12715 Old 01-09-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenlr View Post

I think he was saying the optical out will not pass through DD5.1 from the HDMI input ports, but instead downsamples it to PCM stereo. It will output DD5.1 from the tuner and apps on the TV itself.

Ahhhh ok that makes more sense.
post #11083 of 12715 Old 01-09-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

None of the Panasonic TVs have any sort of "auto-stretch" feature or ability. I've only seen it on Pioneers, Philips, and some Sonys. Panasonic has never had this though.

Hmmm. We got our first Panny plasma (long since replaced, about 10-12 years ago. It was a 42", not "true" HD - about the time HD first was coming out. Cost $5K. Had to mail order it as b&m shops didn't stock it. Because most TV was still SD, we set it to expand the pic to fit the screen. As I recall, we didn't have to keep changing thesettings - but my memory could be wrong.

Your memory is correct, there was once a setting that stretched the image to fit.
Quote:
Side note: The only 4:3 pics I see now are ADS! Why some company spend the big bucks to produce then buy airtime, and only produce it in 4:3 mode, is beyond me.

Most of those ads are old and they don't want to pay to convert them or produce a newer one. I hate them. If only they knew that their ads produce negative reactions -eh?

post #11084 of 12715 Old 01-09-2014, 08:24 PM

Liked: 15
Could anyone tell me how is the 3d in the st60 50 inches?
I have a vizio with passive 3d and I wanted to know how this panasonic performs the active 3d because I have read that doesn't perform very well...
Thank you!
post #11085 of 12715 Old 01-09-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post

Correct. I just connected my ST60 to pre/pro via optical yesterday and it sounds very good.

Edit;
This is from a quite from S & V magazine. Which makes me wonder why I'm getting 5.1 because it definitely said DD 5.1 on my pre.

"be advised that the ST’s optical digital audio output you’ll use to feed the soundbar downconverts all multichannel Dolby Digital and DTS bitstreams to PCM stereo, which will bypass any DD or DTS decoder built into the soundbar and result in less-than-best sound quality. This practice is unfortunately common to most HDTVs today"

Maybe because soundbars are only 2.1 at best?

post #11086 of 12715 Old 01-09-2014, 08:51 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeath View Post

I have a vizio with passive 3d and I wanted to know how this panasonic performs the active 3d because I have read that doesn't perform very well...
Thank you!

We have this tv and are extremely happy with the 3d, however I want to point out that this is our first 3d set and we are by no means videophiles.

I'm sure others on here more tech savy can provide better info for you

Some movies look better than others, so far we have been most impressed with "Cars", "The Hobbit", "Rise of the Guardians". I have several others waiting in the wings to try out but all in all we are a couple of oldsters who are lovin our new set and have absolutely no regrets on this purchase.

And believe me, I am not one that likes to spend $$$
romena54 and kkirsche like this.

An "Analog Kid" in a digital world
post #11087 of 12715 Old 01-10-2014, 12:56 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

YMMV, definitely. The point I was trying to make is that while I perceive the flicker under certain conditions, it's a non-issue for me when actually watching TV. Rainbow effect, line bleed, and buzzing are more signficant, with rainbow being the worst by far, but still not quite a dealbreaker when the alternative is LCD.

Thanks. Seems checking on my own at home is the way to go.
post #11088 of 12715 Old 01-10-2014, 01:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 73
Quote:

Thank you!

The active glasses suck, you may not like them if you're used to passive. The glasses darken the picture a lot so dark movies kinda blow, bright movies look good.
post #11089 of 12715 Old 01-10-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Maybe because soundbars are only 2.1 at best?

They actually have quite a few out there that are 5.1. I know it sounds kind of silly but maybe they sound ok smile.gif
post #11090 of 12715 Old 01-10-2014, 05:42 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:

Internal apps on the TV or OTA, will pass DD 5.1.

EVERYTHING else is considered to be an EXTERNAL device and will be downsampled/converted to stereo when sent out of the optical output from the set.
turkeylord likes this.
post #11091 of 12715 Old 01-10-2014, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Collins View Post

EVERYTHING else is considered to be an EXTERNAL device and will be downsampled/converted to stereo when sent out of the optical output from the set.

USB will do 5.1 also.
post #11092 of 12715 Old 01-10-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Collins View Post

Gotcha, thanks Bob.
post #11093 of 12715 Old 01-10-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

USB will do 5.1 also.

That's good to know also thanks.
post #11094 of 12715 Old 01-10-2014, 01:14 PM

I'd like to ask y'all something...how do you deal with the static images that you can have in your cable channels (logos, etc) not to have IR or burn in or...anything that can appear?

And...another very general question... (if you can redirect me to any other thread that talk about it, I'll be thankful), which is the best way to proceed with one of those ST60 plasma sets when you have just purchased it? (I mean, those 100 hours aprox of running slides and stuff, the maximum contrast to have in the first days....I don't want to mess it up cause I'm new with all that)

post #11095 of 12715 Old 01-10-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

The active glasses suck, you may not like them if you're used to passive. The glasses darken the picture a lot so dark movies kinda blow, bright movies look good.

Yep, I'm used to the passive 3d and I really like it but I was thinking to change my led to have better PQ with this panasonic so I wanted to know how was the active 3d that they offer...

So it's not a problem of settings or anything...is a fact that the glasses make the image much darker? Any point in favor of the active 3d?

post #11096 of 12715 Old 01-10-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_R_K View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

I have an older APC (XS 1300) that I believe only shows Volts or Watts.  I can watch the power conditioner or the APC fluctuate wildly as the picture changes (up to 100-150W more or less).  I only really notice the buzzing when I fast forward thru commercials with my DVR.  There's only ambient noise and the picture is changing rapidly so the buzzing frequency also changes rapidly.

That..........is incredibly interesting and gives all the Plasma Owners a useful Tool to monitor their buzzing sets .
I'm sure I asked but does any of your Power Conditioning Equipment offer Voltage Stabilization ? That may be the missing Link in all of this .

Scott...................

Here's a link to the Power Conditioner.  I don't see anything about voltage stabilization but I just glanced over it.  The APC UPS is not a true sine wave model (for PFC supplies) so also not sure about any voltage stabilization.  The voltage indicator on both pieces doesn't really fluctuate "real-time".  The voltage from the wall obviously changes over time and I do notice some fluctuations on the power conditioner so it's tough to say.  I know my local power company considers anything 120V +/- 5% to be within limits.  I also know that my power conditioner varies significantly less than the voltage at the wall so that might imply "something" is going on but I can't be certain.

Also, just to clarify the statement above.  If I fast forward a signal from my DVR with the TV muted (as it does automatically with DirecTV), then as the picture lightens and darkens, I can hear a change in the frequency of the buzz.  If the picture is brighter then the buzz is louder and seemingly higher in frequency than when the picture is darker (quieter and lower frequency).  I'm sure I could test the bounds of my buzzing with a true white and true black background but honestly it's not really worth it to me.  I'll continue to monitor the buzz as my warranty gets closer to expiring but until I hear someone who has buzz say the buzz is now completely gone, I can live with it.

post #11097 of 12715 Old 01-10-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushfan2112 View Post

We have this tv and are extremely happy with the 3d, however I want to point out that this is our first 3d set and we are by no means videophiles.

I'm sure others on here more tech savy can provide better info for you

Some movies look better than others, so far we have been most impressed with "Cars", "The Hobbit", "Rise of the Guardians". I have several others waiting in the wings to try out but all in all we are a couple of oldsters who are lovin our new set and have absolutely no regrets on this purchase.

And believe me, I am not one that likes to spend $$$

I have my passive 3d and I'm very happy with this feature too, but it's also my first 3d set so...I cannot say too much, I don't know which one is better...

post #11098 of 12715 Old 01-10-2014, 01:21 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:

I'd like to ask y'all something...how do you deal with the static images that you can have in your cable channels (logos, etc) not to have IR or burn in or...anything that can appear?

I tried to avoid these in the early life of the panel and watch more full screen. If I have an issue, I can use the pixel flipper on the Disney WOW disk.

On December 17th, Panasonic USA told me via Twitter the following about burn in prevention:
"Don't worry. Just enjoy the programming. We recommend a 10% rule. No fixed images for more than 10% of viewing week."
romena54 likes this.
post #11099 of 12715 Old 01-10-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkirsche View Post

I tried to avoid these in the early life of the panel and watch more full screen. If I have an issue, I can use the pixel flipper on the Disney WOW disk.

On December 17th, Panasonic USA told me via Twitter the following about burn in prevention:
"Don't worry. Just enjoy the programming. We recommend a 10% rule. No fixed images for more than 10% of viewing week."

Aha, and that pixel flipper realy works?

Apart from this '10% rule' is there any other rule of more or less how much time you have till is probable that you get IR? I mean...if I have 2 hours a channel with a logo, will it be there?

post #11100 of 12715 Old 01-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yep, I'm used to the passive 3d and I really like it but I was thinking to change my led to have better PQ with this panasonic so I wanted to know how was the active 3d that they offer...
So it's not a problem of settings or anything...is a fact that the glasses make the image much darker? Any point in favor of the active 3d?

Yes, it's the glasses that darken the image. I've heard people say active is better and I've heard people say passive is better, I think it's mostly personal preference. The active glasses can make fluorescent lights flicker, changing the refresh rate helps with that though. The TV does have excellent picture quality.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page