post #11161 of 12668 Old 01-12-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

You can see it with regular content? The band too?
Sometimes yes. The band is a different issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11162 of 12668 Old 01-12-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

A replacement will probably be a refurb, which may or may not be in the condition of the TV you have now.
I will request a new model. But even if it's a Referb. If it's not perfect I won't accept it.
post #11163 of 12668 Old 01-12-2014, 12:00 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

I will request a new model. But even if it's a Referb. If it's not perfect I won't accept it.

Panasonic does not refurbish TVs nor do they authorize any other retailers to refurbish their TVs. Depending on the circumstances, they usually (A) repair the TV, (B) give up and replace the TV with a brand new one, or (C) give up and issue you a refund check for your purchase price. Someone here recently got the refund check since their contracted repairman couldn't diagnose nor fix the TV, and Panasonic had no TVs left to replace his with.
sheshechic likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #11164 of 12668 Old 01-12-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Panasonic does not refurbish TVs nor do they authorize any other retailers to refurbish their TVs. Depending on the circumstances, they usually (A) repair the TV, (B) give up and replace the TV with a brand new one, or (C) give up and issue you a refund check for your purchase price. Someone here recently got the refund check since their contracted repairman couldn't diagnose nor fix the TV, and Panasonic had no TVs left to replace his with.

If it's not able to be repaired and they issue refund that could be either good or bad depending on what kind of leftover 60" (ST60 or above) Panny plasmas are available. I won't go LED or Samsung and also can't pay alot more for the higher end models.
Aren't the 60" ST60'S all gone?
My cousin just snagged a 60" ZT60 for 2K from BB but not sure how long those deals will be around not to mention that is still $500 more than what I paid for my 60ST60.

Hmmm.. Will have to see how it shakes out. I think I'm in for a fight with Panasonic about this issue anyways...uhhgg
post #11165 of 12668 Old 01-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by insync44 View Post

Anyone have this problem? I have a 60ST60 and HDMI cable every so often seems to work itself loose necessitating me to adjust the connector. The Yamaha amp is located almost vertically below the TV and the wire goes almost vertically up and is very stiff. I have to jiggle the connector to get a picture. I don't understand why the HDMI just doesn't connect snugly. Would it be the HDMI wire? The picture normally is perfect but this looseness is annoying.

Consider using some 90 degree bend cables and a shorter straight cable to eliminate the strain.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #11166 of 12668 Old 01-12-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

The cable is long enough. It a 6 ft cable and the distance from the Amp is approx. 4 feet. The connector also, contrary to my above statement, appears snug. but moves ever so very slightly moves up and down. I have to jiggle, very slightly, to get a picture. The sound is always there. Must be the cable. But I have tried the others from my PS3 DVD etc.frown.gif
Many of us have used Monoprice cables with no problem. They sell a line called "redmere" - which are more flexible than most HDMI cables.(About double or triple price of their std. cable.) For this panel, some of us have bought right angle connectors so the cables aren't forced to take a sharp bend where the connections are at the extreme left of the panel. I just bought a 10 foot white colored cable for my MIL because it can't be completely hidden where we mounted panel in her care home - $5.05. Have bought many cables from them over the years. Learned about the right angle connectors on this forum thread. You want product #3850 for about $2.50
post #11167 of 12668 Old 01-12-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenythebeast View Post

Hi everyone,

Hoping you can help me troubleshoot an issue I'm having with my P50ST60. I have a Slingbox that is connected like so:

Cable box --Component--> Slingbox --Component--> TV

The following issue occurs occasionally on the screen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJnFJlXg6XU

As you can see there is a purple flickering/haze on part of the screen. This doesn't happen all the time and when I connect the cable box directly to the TV it stops happening. I RMA'ed my original Slingbox but the replacement Slingbox also occasionally has the problem. Is this a problem with the TV itself? I've tried multiple component cables with no success. Has anyone seen this purple flickering before on their TVs? Thanks!

If it were the tv then the problem wouldn't go away wehn you connect the cable box directly to it. Maybe it's time to upgrade your slingbox to one with hdmi?

post #11168 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 12:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

Anyone have this problem? I have a 60ST60 and HDMI cable every so often seems to work itself loose necessitating me to adjust the connector. The Yamaha amp is located almost vertically below the TV and the wire goes almost vertically up and is very stiff. I have to jiggle the connector to get a picture. I don't understand why the HDMI just doesn't connect snugly. Would it be the HDMI wire? The picture normally is perfect but this looseness is annoying.
You can go to monoprice dot com and get a 30 AWG or a 28 AWG cable that's long enough to prevent strain on your connection. Wiggling your connection may damage the female connection which can cause you a much bigger expense.

6' 30 AWG High Speed HDMI
post #11169 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

You can go to monoprice dot com and get a 30 AWG or a 28 AWG cable that's long enough to prevent strain on your connection. Wiggling your connection may damage the female connection which can cause you a much bigger expense.

6' 30 AWG High Speed HDMI

Yep, this sounds like a cable replacement is in order and possibly some of the angle adapters, but I'd definitely get new cables. There is no reason to keep using the older, thick, stiff cables as they risk damage to your equipment or connectivity issues where they pull themselves out of proper contact with the pins inside the connector.
post #11170 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 06:49 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:

Anyone have this problem? I have a 60ST60 and HDMI cable every so often seems to work itself loose necessitating me to adjust the connector. The Yamaha amp is located almost vertically below the TV and the wire goes almost vertically up and is very stiff. I have to jiggle the connector to get a picture. I don't understand why the HDMI just doesn't connect snugly. Would it be the HDMI wire? The picture normally is perfect but this looseness is annoying....

....The cable is long enough. It a 6 ft cable and the distance from the Amp is approx. 4 feet. The connector also, contrary to my above statement, appears snug. but moves ever so very slightly moves up and down. I have to jiggle, very slightly, to get a picture. The sound is always there. Must be the cable. But I have tried the others from my PS3 DVD etc.frown.gif

Whatever you do make sure you don't damage the delicate HDMI input in that TV with all the testing and fiddling around !! HDMI never "works itself loose" unless something is wrong. It could be simply that the shroud on that particular cable is a little too thick to enable the connector to fully seat in that HDMI input so it doesn't "click" tightly enough (this has happened to me in some installs) so if different cables also work themselves loose, see if they fit tighter in the other HDMI inputs (if they do, then the first HDMI input may be damaged).

As mentioned above, the Monoprice 3850 angle adapter may help you stabilize the cable flat behind the TV; i've used dozens of these in my installs:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1403635/official-panasonic-gt50-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2700#post_22205675

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #11171 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

Many of us have used Monoprice cables with no problem. They sell a line called "redmere" - which are more flexible than most HDMI cables.(About double or triple price of their std. cable.) For this panel, some of us have bought right angle connectors so the cables aren't forced to take a sharp bend where the connections are at the extreme left of the panel. I just bought a 10 foot white colored cable for my MIL because it can't be completely hidden where we mounted panel in her care home - $5.05. Have bought many cables from them over the years. Learned about the right angle connectors on this forum thread. You want product #3850 for about $2.50
yup I recommend the Monoprice Redmere line as well. Since I use a receiver I use just one from the receiver "out" to the TV. The thin lightweight design helps with the awkward position of the ST60 HDMI port.
post #11172 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Hi guys, I just got my new 60ST60 this weekend! Very impressive TV, fits superbly in my setup.

I just have a problem regarding ARC... I spent a few hours trying to make it work with no avail. Here's what I did so far. The HDMI cable is connected to HDMI Input 2 (which is marked ARC) and goes through the ARC output on my AVR (Denon X4000). I enabled Viera Link on the TV, and HDMI control on the AVR. I'm putting the AVR on the "TV Audio" source, which defaults to ARC when HDMI control is enabled, as per the manual. Still, I got nothing coming out of my HT setup. Raising the volume level on the TV raises volume on the TV itself.

I see no setting on the TV that would allow me to specifically send audio to the receiver. But perhaps I'm missing something... Anything comes to mind? I think I'll revert back to an optical connection tonight if I can't find anything else.

post #11173 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 08:41 AM
AKA
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
I'm noticing a vertical "band" on the right side of my 60ST60 as well. It's really only noticeable on light screens (such as white backgrounds). I too read it may be an inherent result of the way they're manufactured, but I see others noting they don't see it on theirs. I have very few hours on the panel, so I'll keep an eye on it, as well as watttheF's posts to see if the manufacturer acknowledges it is a correctable defect or not.
post #11174 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 449
It is very common in both the 2012 and 2013 models, very faint on my ST60 never notice it

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #11175 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Neutro: Check to see if your Denon supports "HDAVI Control 5", if not it may not work with just an HDMI cable. See e-help manual page 126-129.
post #11176 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

Hi guys, I just got my new 60ST60 this weekend! Very impressive TV, fits superbly in my setup.

I just have a problem regarding ARC... I spent a few hours trying to make it work with no avail. Here's what I did so far. The HDMI cable is connected to HDMI Input 2 (which is marked ARC) and goes through the ARC output on my AVR (Denon X4000). I enabled Viera Link on the TV, and HDMI control on the AVR. I'm putting the AVR on the "TV Audio" source, which defaults to ARC when HDMI control is enabled, as per the manual. Still, I got nothing coming out of my HT setup. Raising the volume level on the TV raises volume on the TV itself.

I see no setting on the TV that would allow me to specifically send audio to the receiver. But perhaps I'm missing something... Anything comes to mind? I think I'll revert back to an optical connection tonight if I can't find anything else.

Hi, ARC is finicky and although I don't use it I'm well aware of the problems others have had. Is there a way to use the optical cable from the ST60 for sound instead?
post #11177 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post

Neutro: Check to see if your Denon supports "HDAVI Control 5", if not it may not work with just an HDMI cable. See e-help manual page 126-129.

I'll try to find the information, but given that the X4000 is the second-of-line AVR from Denon and it's the current model, I'd be surprised if it wasn't compatible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Hi, ARC is finicky and although I don't use it I'm well aware of the problems others have had. Is there a way to use the optical cable from the ST60 for sound instead?

Yeah if I can't make ARC work soon, I'll revert to the toslink cable. I was just looking forward to getting rid of that one biggrin.gif

post #11178 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is a setting in the apps menu for Viera Control set to "Home Theater" for the default speakers,
MidtownGuy likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #11179 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

There is a setting in the apps menu for Viera Control set to "Home Theater" for the default speakers,

Ah-ha! Thanks a lot Chunon, I didn't look in the Viera app. Why the hell is that setting hidden in an app instead of in the Menu is beyond me, but I'll try that when I'm home. Although if I remember correctly, last time I checked I couldn't start that app frown.gif perhaps it was before I enabled HDMI control on the TV and AVR though.

The manual (p. 136) however states that this option will only work with Panasonic amp or player is connected. I hope the manual's wrong... Page 135 also says that the AVR and TV must somehow establish connection to each other first to make the Viera app work. Maybe an AVR reboot is in order.

post #11180 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure why they hid it there but they did, that option works fine for my Sony bluray/receiver ocassionally it will need to be reset back to home theater but other than that it works fine.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #11181 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:

Does the HDMI cable support ARC? Have you ever had ARC work with anything else?
post #11182 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Collins View Post

Does the HDMI cable support ARC? Have you ever had ARC work with anything else?

Good point... I thought that any "high-speed HDMI" cable would do the job but and I thought there was no change in cabling since HDMI 1.3 (all my cables are high-speed, HDMI 1.3-compliant). But it's easy enough to test another cable... It's the first time I have an ARC TV so it's my first test.

post #11183 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 11:27 AM
AKA
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

It is very common in both the 2012 and 2013 models, very faint on my ST60 never notice it

Yeah, as it is now, I'm not about to worry about it as it's not distracting in most viewing. Seeing watttheF's recent posts about it changing give me pause but I'll have to cross that bridge should I come to it.
post #11184 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 12:43 PM

Liked: 40
Quote:

Yep, this sounds like a cable replacement is in order and possibly some of the angle adapters, but I'd definitely get new cables. There is no reason to keep using the older, thick, stiff cables as they risk damage to your equipment or connectivity issues where they pull themselves out of proper contact with the pins inside the connector.

The ONLY reason I have the heavier 24G Monoprice HDMI is that's what's highly recommended for use with their 1 x 4 HDMI switcher which is a must-have for my A/V system. I would have much rather gotten their lighter RedMere HDMI's. So it's string/ductape for me,,, if needed. biggrin.gif
comfynumb likes this.
post #11185 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

yup I recommend the Monoprice Redmere line as well. Since I use a receiver I use just one from the receiver "out" to the TV. The thin lightweight design helps with the awkward position of the ST60 HDMI port.

AmazonBasics are thin enough, work great, and are just plain old cables so a lot cheaper than RedMere, with one less thing to go wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

I posted this back in June, and it continues to work great; in particular, the cable tie hasn't popped out even once:

The AmazonBasics cables work fine, too. This is the back of my 50ST60. Each Amazon cable is connected to a bulkier, ferrite cored Monoprice 28 AWG cable with a coupler, with a total length up to 16 feet. They work great. Note also I used the supplied cable tie that plugs into a hole in the back of the case. It provides strain relief and has stayed in place as I slide the TV around my Anthrocart desk a couple times a day to get it closer and in front of the monitor arm. (I stuck plastic Super Sliders on the bottom of the stand to make it easy to slide.) The cables don't put any extra strain on the TV ports when sliding, so this has all worked out very well.

HDMI has been a solved problem for years. My current nemesis is DisplayPort. My new monitor came with DVI and DisplayPort, and it's really ticking me off. Cables are expensive, I can't find proper angle adapters, what adapters exist are ridiculously priced, and it confers no new capabilities for my 1920x1200 monitor compared to HDMI and DVI. Seems like a scam to me.
post #11186 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 71
Quote:

Good point... I thought that any "high-speed HDMI" cable would do the job but and I thought there was no change in cabling since HDMI 1.3 (all my cables are high-speed, HDMI 1.3-compliant). But it's easy enough to test another cable... It's the first time I have an ARC TV so it's my first test.

All HDMI cables support ARC:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx
post #11187 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Bombard View Post

The ONLY reason I have the heavier 24G Monoprice HDMI is that's what's highly recommended for use with their 1 x 4 HDMI switcher which is a must-have for my A/V system. I would have much rather gotten their lighter RedMere HDMI's. So it's string/ductape for me,,, if needed. biggrin.gif

Everyone recommended the old thick cables at one time; the thicker and larger the gauge of the wire, the better (or so everyone thought). Today, the gauge really doesn't matter, the cables have gotten better.

You don't need redmere unless you have long cable runs.

Try some of the newer/cheaper monoprice cables, or mediabridge, or amazon basics; your issues with connections coming loose and the need to duct tape will be a thing of the past.
post #11188 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

All HDMI cables support ARC:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx

That's what I thought... But really, tonight I'll try accessing the Viera Link app; it looks like I have to go there to select the AVR as the audio sink. I'll post the results then.

post #11189 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 01:45 PM
AKA
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

AmazonBasics are thin enough, work great, and are just plain old cables so a lot cheaper than RedMere, with one less thing to go wrong.
I considered redmere but the price and their reps pushing it over other cables got me to look elsewhere (they insisted it was in-wall rated and it's not).

I ended up with BlueRigger cable which was priced well, is well-made and was very workable for a CL3 rated cable.. So to echo sawfish, you do have simpler options available.
post #11190 of 12668 Old 01-13-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Bombard View Post

Quote:

Everyone recommended the old thick cables at one time; the thicker and larger the gauge of the wire, the better (or so everyone thought). Today, the gauge really doesn't matter, the cables have gotten better.

You don't need redmere unless you have long cable runs.

Try some of the newer/cheaper monoprice cables, or mediabridge, or amazon basics; your issues with connections coming loose and the need to duct tape will be a thing of the past.

But I like my cable ties and occasional duct tape solution, add a pair of vise grips and we could fix the world biggrin.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page