Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Stryker,

You haven't calibrated it. You've plugged in D-Nice's settings, which are great for his set, not so much, apparently, for yours. Each set is unique.

Presuming BB fixes your TV, here's what you do:

1. Reset your display settings on the TV. Make sure your source is putting out a normal color space (16-234, often referred to as RGB limited).

2. Using a disc such as Disney WOW or the free AVSHD (or any of several others), adjust your brightness and contrast to the point where you get essentially no dithering in black, and levels 1-16 are indistinguishable from the background, 17 flashes very perceptibly (or first step above true black, depending which disc you use), and you get to true white around 234. Until this is done, things won't look right.

3. Now that you are in the ballpark, either do a calibration using a meter, or adjust things until they look right to your eye in your environment, preferably following instructions with your disc or that you will have read in this thread or in various people's posted links.

For me, I really had to turn off motion smoothing, turn on pixel direct, and a few other adjustments. It looked great out of the box but over a few months I've been gradually tweaking it to better and better picture quality. I think I'm about done. FWIW, I use Cinema setting, mid panel brightness, gamma of 2.0 (yes, this will draw howls, most folks recommend 2.4 on the 60" set I have), and I'm up at about 4 brightness and contrast upper 70s. A few other minor tweaks. What this gives me is dead solid dark blacks with little or no dithering, super bright whites, nice mid-tones like interior lit faces, and so on. Your settings will likely differ.

Good luck with the repair. Presuming they can fix your TV, I bet with an hour or three of playing around you will get a spectacular picture.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Also he is using a component cable. HDMI will make a huge difference
sheshechic likes this.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:22 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwwally View Post

I'm on my 2nd ST60 since the first had a bad buzzing sound and was too distracting watching it from 12 feet away. Exchanged it and the 2nd set has the exact same problem. Very bummed since the picture is great and I know the store is out of stock so another exchange won't happen. I was wondering if anyone knows of any way to make the buzzing lower on these sets. I know I can't be the only one with this issue and would really appreciate any advise, thanks.

Have it repaired under warranty. My ST60 is virtually silent one foot from the screen, and 12 feet is absolutely not even close to being within normal tolerances. The most common repair is the board that's in the upper right corner as viewed from the rear. There are coils on this board that sometimes go bad (or are bad right out of the box) and they buzz excessively, replacing the board fixes the buzzing. Lots of people here have had this done successfully.

Is this the area that the buzzing sound is coming from?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 01-16-2014, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker916 View Post

Hello all,

Now with all that being said and of course I'm am holding off on all final decisions until it is fixed 100% but I have to say I am a little disappointed in the picture of the ST60. I don't know if I was expecting too much or that I am missing something. I have calibrated the picture by following D-Nices settings. It just seems very dull, I know Plasmas are going to be dimmer than LED LCDs and maybe its because I'm used to that, but I'm just not getting the WOW factor that it seems all of you are getting. Granted, I'll be the first to admit I am no expert on things like this like some of you are. So I'm just looking for a second opinion I guess. I really want to like this TV but so far I would rather have my old Samsung back.

Right now I am leaning towards returning it and getting the Sharp. Let me know what you think. Let me know if there are any questions about some info I may have left out. Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance

First off, how many hours are on the set? (Menu/Help/Version/Status 4-number on the left is hours used) Did you run DNice's slides as instructed for at least 100 hours or did you just throw in his settings expecting perfection? Me, I did DNices procedure and I'm in that perfection ballpark that some have talked about, happier than a pig in a pile of sheet. biggrin.gif

Also, what's your room environment like? Plasma's like an ambiant lit room, LED's can shine in a brightly lit room. If you have a brightly lit room, plasma's can disappoint. Then you have component video which is a softer less detailed picture than HDMI, I use both myself.

Then there's the simple fact that you're presently acclimated to your Sharp LED's light output which is a good third more than plasma tv's. How long have you been actually watching your ST60? Maybe you just need more time acclimating yourself to a lower light output that you're use to. Of course a watchable picture might help. Have you tried Home Theater Mode? How about CNET's Cinema picture settings? (Google them if you haven't) /then there's Sound & Vision picture settings and there's a few in this thread you could try. And of course you could always have your hand at calibrating it yourself, something I've never had much luck in doing but many others have.

Just some thoughts,, fwiw. Good luck with your BB repair,,, I would have had more confidence with Panasonic techs myself. Hope it all works out for ya. smile.gif
Old 01-16-2014, 07:33 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggweeziehd View Post

Hello all my sons threw a cup at my his brother and hit my st60 and cracked it. No picture just a blinking red indicator light. What can I do?

Kids throwing stuff is the most common cause of cracked TV screens, so at least your not alone.

A. Try to find a new one immediately and buy it, or buy a VT60 or ZT60 while there are still some available.

B. See if your local repair shop can replace the panel and any internal boards that got burned out when the Plasma panel was compromised, but that's usually more than the cost of a new TV.

C. Buy a Samsung F8500.

D. Start shopping for an LCD TV.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwwally View Post

I'm on my 2nd ST60 since the first had a bad buzzing sound and was too distracting watching it from 12 feet away. Exchanged it and the 2nd set has the exact same problem. Very bummed since the picture is great and I know the store is out of stock so another exchange won't happen. I was wondering if anyone knows of any way to make the buzzing lower on these sets. I know I can't be the only one with this issue and would really appreciate any advise, thanks.

I would think buzzing would be the power supply. Perhaps you could check or have service man check to make sure the screws are all tight, and the transformer(s) on the board are properly installed. Its possible you could just use some of that silicon sealant they put on boards to squirt it up under the transformer to alleviate it from buzzing. Unless a service tech did it, it would probably void your warranty tho.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenlr View Post

I would think buzzing would be the power supply. Perhaps you could check or have service man check to make sure the screws are all tight, and the transformer(s) on the board are properly installed. Its possible you could just use some of that silicon sealant they put on boards to squirt it up under the transformer to alleviate it from buzzing. Unless a service tech did it, it would probably void your warranty tho.

I've read the buzzing could be caused my the power supply vibrating against the plastic casing (poor engineering) and just loosening the screws in the back around the power supply's location could alleviate the problem.

Then again, I've also read that buzzing is normal and you're just suppose to accept it. rolleyes.gif I would look for solutions myself, there are plenty who have tried on the internet. (Google search)
Old 01-16-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Bombard View Post

I've read the buzzing could be caused my the power supply vibrating against the plastic casing (poor engineering) and just loosening the screws in the back around the power supply's location could alleviate the problem.

Then again, I've also read that buzzing is normal and you're just suppose to accept it. rolleyes.gif I would look for solutions myself, there are plenty who have tried on the internet. (Google search)

It should be fairly easy to take off the back panel and locate the source of the buzzing. How easy it is to fix would be another issue. I have a brand new 55ST60, and on bright white slide, I get ZERO buzzing. I would not accept buzzing you could hear from a normal listening position. Hopefully, those seeking to get it repaired gets a service tech that cares enough to try to locate and fix the problem.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:51 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Personally, I noticed no such difference between component and hdmi coming from my Scientific Atlanta 8300HD STB, that produces standard def, 720p and 1080i signals. That is, when connected directly to my 60ST60.

What I was most pleasantly surprised about however, quite unexpectedly in fact, was how well my ST60 appears to get along with my new receiver, a Sony STRDN1040. I'm using component from my STB to the Sony which in turn upconverts the signals to 1080p. Not something I even gave a 2nd thought to actually, when I purchased this receiver....for totally different reasons. Turns out, the Sony upconversion and subsequent feed to my ST60 has produced outstanding results. Much better than an hdmi connection from the STB to the receiver or even STB to ST60 direct (either through HDMI or component). There's something in this chain that seems to work particularly well in this setup for me and has resulted in the best cable TV images I have yet seen on a display. Clean, sharp, detailed, color balanced are words that come to mind. Even standard def material upscaled is, I dare say, more than tolerable.

Depending on the feed and programming material, I've witnessed some startlingly impressive images, that most would be hard-pressed to distinguish from BR quality. And this from cable TV... I kid you not. Incredibly, it's something I completely stumbled upon.

I realize my particular setup may not be common, however in my case, the component connection serves very well indeed. In fact, it represents the best possible connection for cable. May be worth trying for some who have an upconversion feature in their receivers. Of course, YMMV depending on the quality of the upscaling chip and related algorithms of your receiver. I was shocked to see the Sony perform this function so elegantly, particularly for a $500 receiver.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Hello all my sons threw a cup at my his brother and hit my st60 and cracked it. No picture just a blinking red indicator light. What can I do?

You might want to check your home owner's insurance policy.
comfynumb likes this.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenlr View Post

It should be fairly easy to take off the back panel and locate the source of the buzzing. How easy it is to fix would be another issue. I have a brand new 55ST60, and on bright white slide, I get ZERO buzzing. I would not accept buzzing you could hear from a normal listening position. Hopefully, those seeking to get it repaired gets a service tech that cares enough to try to locate and fix the problem.

I FULLY agree. smile.gif I too have ZERO buzzing ith my 50ST60 regardless if the screen is solid white on Vivid mode. Like yourself, I too wouldn't accept anything less than a quiet plasma at no more more than a yard away. If I heard anything, the only thing acceptable buzzing would be me on the phone to Panasonic. I would advise anyone with such a buzzing problem to do the same.

But if you can live with the buzzing, more power to ya. smile.gif
Old 01-16-2014, 09:27 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

You might want to check your home owner's insurance policy.

Tried that... Old State Farm wasn't buying it :-( thx though!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Kids throwing stuff is the most common cause of cracked TV screens, so at least your not alone.

A. Try to find a new one immediately and buy it, or buy a VT60 or ZT60 while there are still some available.

B. See if your local repair shop can replace the panel and any internal boards that got burned out when the Plasma panel was compromised, but that's usually more than the cost of a new TV.

C. Buy a Samsung F8500.

D. Start shopping for an LCD TV.

Looked everywhere and snagged a display model from Sears 30 miles away last one in the South Bend, IN area. I was so bummed I bought my st60 the day it dropped at BB. I'm so relieved but now I have a $1,604 door stop in my computer room. WHO WANTS TO BUY IT???
Old 01-16-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky12 View Post

At this point, you can try to ask this forum to see if anyone can repair it but I doubt it. You are kind of out of luck since warranty will not cover it.

Yeah tv repair guy said $1,200 for the panel and a few more Hun for labor
Old 01-17-2014, 01:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJames03 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakster623 View Post

TJ..be aware that if you ever need to have service on your tv, you are going to have to take it off the wall mount and place on the stand in order for them to have access and remove the back panel from the tv.

Hmmm...interesting point.

So if service is ever needed on the set... it has to be on the stand? It couldn't be just placed face down on a soft (scratch resistant) surface?
When our set was repaired they ask for a sheet to put on the carpet. The set was placed face down on the sheet. They can go in, replace a board, and be out again in less than thirty minutes. Our 60" Kuro is heavy enough to need two people to get it down and back up. That cost extra.

In any case, keep your stand unless your TV is a disposable item to you.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

You can pay to have the panel replaced. That's about it. redface.gif
Old 01-17-2014, 01:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky12 View Post

At this point, you can try to ask this forum to see if anyone can repair it but I doubt it. You are kind of out of luck since warranty will not cover it.

Yeah tv repair guy said $1,200 for the panel and a few more Hun for labor
That sounds about right unless, as was suggested, other boards were fried at the same time.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:44 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

Stryker,

You haven't calibrated it. You've plugged in D-Nice's settings, which are great for his set, not so much, apparently, for yours. Each set is unique.

1. Reset your display settings on the TV. Make sure your source is putting out a normal color space (16-234, often referred to as RGB limited).

2. Using a disc such as Disney WOW or the free AVSHD (or any of several others), adjust your brightness and contrast to the point where you get essentially no dithering in black, and levels 1-16 are indistinguishable from the background, 17 flashes very perceptibly (or first step above true black, depending which disc you use), and you get to true white around 234. Until this is done, things won't look right.

3. Now that you are in the ballpark, either do a calibration using a meter, or adjust things until they look right to your eye in your environment, preferably following instructions with your disc or that you will have read in this thread or in various people's posted links.

For me, I really had to turn off motion smoothing, turn on pixel direct, and a few other adjustments. It looked great out of the box but over a few months I've been gradually tweaking it to better and better picture quality. I think I'm about done. FWIW, I use Cinema setting, mid panel brightness, gamma of 2.0 (yes, this will draw howls, most folks recommend 2.4 on the 60" set I have), and I'm up at about 4 brightness and contrast upper 70s. A few other minor tweaks. What this gives me is dead solid dark blacks with little or no dithering, super bright whites, nice mid-tones like interior lit faces, and so on. Your settings will likely differ.

Good luck with the repair. Presuming they can fix your TV, I bet with an hour or three of playing around you will get a spectacular picture.

Marc

I also have a 60ST60. Just got the disney wow Blu ray 2 disc. I did the contrast/sharpness adjustments to get a reasonably nice looking picture. However, I'm still not 100% sold on my tint/hue/saturation. Settings like D-Nice or CNET never looked right on my set, which is why I got the Disney. I guess there is no way to adjust the 10point hue/saturation without a meter? All the disney disk tells you is to adjust Tint. I feel like my human skin tones are coming through too tan or greenish, or like there is too much color. Super vibrant, I guess coming from LCD, the plasma looks like a colorful painting.

Panasonic 60ST60, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Polk RTiA9, PS3 Slim
Old 01-17-2014, 09:02 AM

Liked: 10

Thank you all for your help and input. I feel a lot better since posting on here. BB is on their way as we speak. Hopefully this all gets resolved.

Quote:

Stryker,

Marc

I know that his settings were a nice guide and to each is own. Like I said I'm a "noob" when it comes to most of the in depth stuff (calibration, gamma, etc.) so I'm sorry for possibly basic questions. How do I check if my source is putting out normal color space? I will be purchasing the WOW DVD once this is all straightened out.

BB is on their way out as we speak. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

I was wondering if there is a noticeable difference between the 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Bombard View Post

First off, how many hours are on the set? (Menu/Help/Version/Status 4-number on the left is hours used) Did you run DNice's slides as instructed for at least 100 hours or did you just throw in his settings expecting perfection? Me, I did DNices procedure and I'm in that perfection ballpark that some have talked about, happier than a pig in a pile of sheet. biggrin.gif

Also, what's your room environment like? Plasma's like an ambiant lit room, LED's can shine in a brightly lit room. If you have a brightly lit room, plasma's can disappoint. Then you have component video which is a softer less detailed picture than HDMI, I use both myself.

Then there's the simple fact that you're presently acclimated to your Sharp LED's light output which is a good third more than plasma tv's. How long have you been actually watching your ST60? Maybe you just need more time acclimating yourself to a lower light output that you're use to. Of course a watchable picture might help. Have you tried Home Theater Mode? How about CNET's Cinema picture settings? (Google them if you haven't) /then there's Sound & Vision picture settings and there's a few in this thread you could try. And of course you could always have your hand at calibrating it yourself, something I've never had much luck in doing but many others have.

Just some thoughts,, fwiw. Good luck with your BB repair,,, I would have had more confidence with Panasonic techs myself. Hope it all works out for ya. smile.gif

I did run the slides for the 100 hours. Hours used so far is 2800. so I think it maybe too late to do a proper set up. I was told there are some settings of his that don't require the slides. ill have to look in to those.

Room lighting was a concern of mine at first but even with all the lights on during the day I have no issues. I was also curious if there is a difference between component and HDMI as far a picture quality goes?

I have also thought that it may take some getting used to on my end I have probably sat an watched it for about 30 hrs so far. Ill be purchasing the WOW DVD and play around with that. I don't trust myself to calibrate it on my own with no help or guide.

I agree with you as I would also prefer to have Panasonic in stead of BB to repair it. However, since I payed for the ext warranty I want to feel like I'm getting my moneys worth. Also, worst case scenario, there is a lemon policy in the warranty 3 repairs and I get a new one or in this case something equal.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Have it repaired under warranty. My ST60 is virtually silent one foot from the screen, and 12 feet is absolutely not even close to being within normal tolerances. The most common repair is the board that's in the upper right corner as viewed from the rear. There are coils on this board that sometimes go bad (or are bad right out of the box) and they buzz excessively, replacing the board fixes the buzzing. Lots of people here have had this done successfully.

Is this the area that the buzzing sound is coming from?

The coil problem was three years ago, it does not pertain to these TVs. No way would Panasonic continue to use coils they knew had problems.

Sawfish got it right, the whole panel buzzes, I can hear it from one side to the other and in the middle on both my TVs, it is not coming from a board in the upper corner.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:10 AM

Greetings AVS forum,

First time poster and owner of a PS60ST60.
I've combed through the forums to try and find an answer but came up empty.
My TV has a European/Middle East firmware and as such does not have any of the popular streaming services available in the App market (such as Netflix, Hulu etc.).
My question is, does anyone know of a way to forcibly install the US firmware to have those apps show up?

For the record, I've tried regularly installing the US firmware via USB aswell as resetting to factory condition but the US is not a choice (nor Canada or the Uk for the matter). I've also tried VPN and Unblock US to no avail.

Help!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Not sure you could at all since there's a 50 - 60 hz difference which includes all the power and panel drive circuitry. I don't call myself an expert but I don't think there's any compatibility, maybe someone else has a better idea. Couldn't you just get a player to be able to use those services? Also, not sure those services will work with an overseas internet address.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

Not sure you could at all since there's a 50 - 60 hz difference which includes all the power and panel drive circuitry. I don't call myself an expert but I don't think there's any compatibility, maybe someone else has a better idea. Couldn't you just get a player to be able to use those services? Also, not sure those services will work with an overseas internet address.

My initial thought was to avoid external boxes such as Roku or Apple TV and avoid more clutter. As far as those services over seas, with the help VPN or DNS routing they are full available (I watch these services on my computers).

Old 01-17-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasdag View Post

Quote:

Stryker,

Marc

I also have a 60ST60. Just got the disney wow Blu ray 2 disc. I did the contrast/sharpness adjustments to get a reasonably nice looking picture. However, I'm still not 100% sold on my tint/hue/saturation. Settings like D-Nice or CNET never looked right on my set, which is why I got the Disney. I guess there is no way to adjust the 10point hue/saturation without a meter? All the disney disk tells you is to adjust Tint. I feel like my human skin tones are coming through too tan or greenish, or like there is too much color. Super vibrant, I guess coming from LCD, the plasma looks like a colorful painting.

Yes, you need a meter to actually measure the color of the light output on the display and adjust it properly. Leave tint in the middle or only 1-2 notches either way. If there's too much color or it feels over-saturated, turn down the Color adjustment a few notches. Between Custom and Cinema, one is under-saturated a little (need to turn up 2~5 notches) and one is a little oversaturated (turn down a few notches).

What are you viewing where the colors, tint, and everything looks "off"? The test patterns on the WOW disc, or real TV/movie material? If it's the latter, everything has its own color signature, even major differences between Leno, Letterman and Fallon, etc., so you can't judge based on that. If it's the former (WOW disc reference image of skin tones/colors), make sure you flush all of the D-Nice or whatever settings out of your setup and start from scratch. Those settings are for other TVs and have no relation to the color and gamma, or grayscale output of your TV.

And also consider -- you may just not be used to the colors and picture quality of your plasma. Don't comare it to another TV, compare it to the real world. And don't over-think it either. Notch down the Color (saturation) setting a little if you need, but it shouldn't be that complicated.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia101 View Post

Greetings AVS forum,

My TV has a European/Middle East firmware and as such does not have any of the popular streaming services available in the App market (such as Netflix, Hulu etc.).
My question is, does anyone know of a way to forcibly install the US firmware to have those apps show up?

For the record, I've tried regularly installing the US firmware via USB aswell as resetting to factory condition but the US is not a choice (nor Canada or the Uk for the matter). I've also tried VPN and Unblock US to no avail.

Help!

Even if you were to get the US firmware applied, it would likely VOID any and all warranties on the unit, so I doubt anyone here would advise you to do so.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:28 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Yes, you need a meter to actually measure the color of the light output on the display and adjust it properly. Leave tint in the middle or only 1-2 notches either way. If there's too much color or it feels over-saturated, turn down the Color adjustment a few notches. Between Custom and Cinema, one is under-saturated a little (need to turn up 2~5 notches) and one is a little oversaturated (turn down a few notches).

What are you viewing where the colors, tint, and everything looks "off"? The test patterns on the WOW disc, or real TV/movie material? If it's the latter, everything has its own color signature, even major differences between Leno, Letterman and Fallon, etc., so you can't judge based on that. If it's the former (WOW disc reference image of skin tones/colors), make sure you flush all of the D-Nice or whatever settings out of your setup and start from scratch. Those settings are for other TVs and have no relation to the color and gamma, or grayscale output of your TV.

And also consider -- you may just not be used to the colors and picture quality of your plasma. Don't comare it to another TV, compare it to the real world. And don't over-think it either. Notch down the Color (saturation) setting a little if you need, but it shouldn't be that complicated.

I have it on Custom, contrast at 76, Brightness +3, color 50, tint 0, sharpness 50, color temp normal, vivid color off, color gamma 2.4, game mode off, 1080p pixel direct on, black level Light, most everything at default. I arrived at these settings after a quick once over with the a Disney Blu ray in my PS3 doing the advanced settings. I just tried lowering the Color level, and it didn't do what I wanted it to. I'm thinking I need to mess with hue or saturation, and may just get a pro calibration in the future.

I see what you're saying about each show having its own color signature. Like Fallon always look dim, greyish or greenish. It's just the lighting they use on that show eh? But what about Conan, he used to be pale and sickly. Now he looks tan. Maybe it's that he lives in LA now, or they're caking on the tan make up.

Panasonic 60ST60, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Polk RTiA9, PS3 Slim
Old 01-17-2014, 11:50 AM

I keep kicking myself for not being a 50" ST60 before they were gone. I'm an idiot.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:13 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia101 View Post

Greetings AVS forum,

For the record, I've tried regularly installing the US firmware via USB aswell as resetting to factory condition but the US is not a choice (nor Canada or the Uk for the matter). I've also tried VPN and Unblock US to no avail. Help!

Since the TV connects to the internet through Panasonic's Viera Connect servers, Panasonic in control of what content can be displayed directly on the TV so there is no way to "hack" it to trick it into thinking it's in a different country or getting around the country-specific licensing agreements. Many have tried i can't remember ever seeing anyone here being successful.

Randy
Old 01-17-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangent1138 View Post

I keep kicking myself for not being a 50" ST60 before they were gone. I'm an idiot.

If you had the chance, especially multiple times, and passed it up, then ya'.. you're an idiot.  But if the situation and circumstances just didnt work out (like they almost didnt for me) then no one can fault you for that.  

What do you have now that you'd replace?  I had a 1994 Sony 27" tube tv.. standard def obviously.. from 7+ feet away I couldnt even see it clearly, couldnt read smaller text (like the historical info bits they put on screen on America Unearthed on H2.  I had to borrow and make arrangements and do make some serious sacrifices to get my 55" S60.  

I'm betting if you looked REALLY hard, you could find someone who has an S or ST60 panny they want to sell, new or used.  Open box or whatever.. if you can make it happen, I'd do whatever you can to get one.... just because Sears and Best Buy and ABC Warehouse dont have any left, doesnt mean there isnt one out there with your name on it. 

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
Old 01-17-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post

If you had the chance, especially multiple times, and passed it up, then ya'.. you're an idiot.  But if the situation and circumstances just didnt work out (like they almost didnt for me) then no one can fault you for that.  

What do you have now that you'd replace?  I had a 1994 Sony 27" tube tv.. standard def obviously.. from 7+ feet away I couldnt even see it clearly, couldnt read smaller text (like the historical info bits they put on screen on America Unearthed on H2.  I had to borrow and make arrangements and do make some serious sacrifices to get my 55" S60.  

I'm betting if you looked REALLY hard, you could find someone who has an S or ST60 panny they want to sell, new or used.  Open box or whatever.. if you can make it happen, I'd do whatever you can to get one.... just because Sears and Best Buy and ABC Warehouse dont have any left, doesnt mean there isnt one out there with your name on it. 

+1, keep looking. It's worth it.

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread