Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 385 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2014, 09:25 AM
Newbie
 
nundroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

One thing I have noticed on AVS, if the girlfriend or wife see's it, that qualifies as bad. As if the person complaining needs to throw the women in to justify his complaint. lol

Not directed at you but just a trend I see here. It's quite funny and not to sound better then anyone else here, I do the same thing. biggrin.gif

Ha! It's so true though, when the other half notices something you know something isn't right! We had a crappy LCD TV before this that used to leave gross silhouettes on the screen whenever it faded to black, and she was never bothered by those! I imagine a lot of blokes are in the same position as me: I had to convince the Mrs to get a new TV and justify the purchase was worthwhile... which means I feel quite responsible when she notices any faults with the unit. frown.gif
nundroid is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-31-2014, 11:01 AM
Senior Member
 
L David Matheny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SE Ohio
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nundroid View Post

- The most glaring issue is the 'rainbow' effect (phosphor trail?) during motion that I'm sure has been discussed to death in this thread. It mostly appears with lighter objects, but sometimes badly graded TV shows really cause the issue to flair up. The most horrific example of this occurred when the camera panned from a presenter's face to a contributor; the contributor's head left a disgusting oily rainbow trail in its wake. My girlffriend who isn't normally one to notice stuff like this always comments whenever this happens because it's so noticeable and distracting. This mainly affects SD content but I've noticed it on a few times on Blu Ray also. I guess you can argue that it's the crappy SD TV show's production that's at fault, but if I can watch it on LED without these issues why can't plasma handle it?

- The rainbow effect is also visible at all times, whenever I move my eyes across the screen - for example if I move my head when picking up a drink or something I'm treated to a magical rainbow jamboree. Affects both SD and HD equally.

- Whenever there is a light scene or the majority of the image is white, an audible buzzing sound can be heard emanating from the unit. It sounds a little like an old fridge! Again, SD and HD. This one doesn't bother me too much because the speakers normally hide it.

- I've noticed mild/moderate banding during extreme light/dark gradients: for example when a character is exploring a dark environment with a torch this is noticeable. It's difficult to discern whether this is a fault of the panel or the source, but for what it's worth I've noticed occurrences viewing SD and HD content.

I believe it's said that the rainbow effect is noticeable by some people but not by others. It may be an interaction between the way plasma TVs work and the way our eyes work. If you're one of the unlucky ones who notice it, maybe you should stay away from plasma TVs. A bit of buzzing when the screen is bright is also said to be common with plasma TVs. But if you can hear it while watching normal content, maybe your set has too much. The banding you see may be what is called "horizontal line bleed", which is a characteristic of all plasma sets to some extent. Definitely spend some time watching your next TV before you buy it. Sorry to be so vague, but I'm no expert.
L David Matheny is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,868
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by nundroid View Post

So peeps - do I have a faulty unit?
What you describe as a "rainbow" effect happens when you combine a very small percentage of humans with plasma technology. Some people with your condition get over it, but others don't.
Quote:
Can I expect these issues to subside as the panel has more useage (I've probably used it for around 100hrs so far and zero sign of improvement). Am I doomed to experience poorer blacks of LED because my eyes notice the shortcomings of plasma too easily? eek.gif
I don't think there is much chance for change. Some people have found that their eye movement is a big contributor to their "rainbow" problems. Banding has been known to improve with time, but buzzing won't unless a cause is found and a repair done.

For a repair to work, the buzzing must be something different than the buzzing caused by plasma. Plasma buzzing can vary greatly in volume. I know that our Kuro buzzes, but the only time I actually heard it was on day one from about one foot. Replacing boards and screws have sometimes helped buzzing of a different kind.
htwaits is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 07:11 PM
Senior Member
 
CSEmoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirh View Post

Is it possible you're seeing camera flashes going off when people are taking pics throughout the game?

Hey folks, brand new 50ST60 owner here.
replaced a 6 year old panasonic plasma.

I fired up a hockey game tonight, it what appears to be crowd camera flashes are EXTREMELY disruptive while watching a game on this television.

Why is this so?

It was not so on my old 42".

Watching the canucks vs Jets game on TSN right now.

I switched to a lacrosse game, and sure enough there is the same disruptive flicker/flash.

Has anyone figured this out? It feels like the TV is trying to 'process' the flashes, and thus making it FAR more disruptive than it should be.
CSEmoses is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 07:23 PM
Senior Member
 
CSEmoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've paused and replayed parts of the game in slow motion where the issue occurs. It is definately camera flashes.

In flow motion, I can see the blue light of the flash.

When the same scene is played back at full speed, no blue is seen. Instead, it's like the TV knows there is something there, but it can't display the blue fast enough, so it flashes the whole screen darker grey or something instead?

Extremely dissapointing.

They just showed some highlights from another game, and after a guy scored a bunch of cameras went off. The result was the screen flickering like crazy.
CSEmoses is offline  
Old 01-31-2014, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
CSEmoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those with the flashing issues in hockey games, check this thread. there's a great description of what's going on near the bottom:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1185042/flickering-during-hockey-games-panny-tcp42x1#post_24295129

... my only question is, why is it so noticable on my new TV? because it's a bigger TV? 42 vs 50?

I went upstairs and checked another TV, exact same content, sony 55" LCD. Picture of the game looked like CRAP, by the way. Go plasma! ... but the same issue is there. It appears though, the LCD handles it a little better? no scientific stuff here, just gut feel.

I am really interested to watch a different hockey game, with a different set of photographers controlling those photographer's camera linked Strobe lights.
CSEmoses is offline  
Old 02-01-2014, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whipit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SGF
Posts: 1,482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Those flashes are more noticeable from the tv being larger and somewhat from the ABL kicking in. The camera is taking in more light than it can handle then you get 100% of what it can do and that signal is going right to the tv. It seems all TV's do what you describe but without ABL an LCD won't dim when it hits. A contrast adjustment may affect this performance a bit. Since this is source related there can be some variance between venues and of course every tv will handle this differently.
whipit is offline  
Old 02-01-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kemiza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Circle City
Posts: 1,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2therock View Post

Hi Folks, I am contemplating a TC-P50ST60 but want to ask, "Is it true every time one turns the TV on he has to navigate through an App Screen, and disable Adds?

Thanks!
Not true I own the same television.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, OPPO BDP-103, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
kemiza is offline  
Old 02-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
2therock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cartersville GA
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks, If you guys know a stocking dealer with this TV let me know. I cannot find one.

Thanks, 2therock

 

My Setup

2therock is offline  
Old 02-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
samijubal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2therock View Post

Thanks, If you guys know a stocking dealer with this TV let me know. I cannot find one.

The 50" has been gone for a while now. I saw a 60" in a local craigslist type listing from a place that sells new overstock type stuff about a week ago so it's possible you might find one if you look hard enough.
2therock likes this.
samijubal is offline  
Old 02-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Senior Member
 
2therock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cartersville GA
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks, Figures. Is LED close to catching up?

Thanks, 2therock

 

My Setup

2therock is offline  
Old 02-01-2014, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Davenlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: North Little Rock,Ar,US
Posts: 3,742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2therock View Post

Thanks, Figures. Is LED close to catching up?

There were some local dimming units shown at the 2014 trade show that looked real promising. Look for new LED/LCD sets with Dolby video processing and local dimming when they show up.
2therock likes this.

Davenlr is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 02:00 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,868
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2therock View Post

Thanks, Figures. Is LED close to catching up?
I'm not sure, but as far as I know there is no expected improvement in the poor viewing angles of LCD regardless of the back light or edge light used (LED).
2therock and rushfan2112 like this.
htwaits is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
hungro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

I believe it's said that the rainbow effect is noticeable by some people but not by others. It may be an interaction between the way plasma TVs work and the way our eyes work. If you're one of the unlucky ones who notice it, maybe you should stay away from plasma TVs. A bit of buzzing when the screen is bright is also said to be common with plasma TVs. But if you can hear it while watching normal content, maybe your set has too much. The banding you see may be what is called "horizontal line bleed", which is a characteristic of all plasma sets to some extent. Definitely spend some time watching your next TV before you buy it. Sorry to be so vague, but I'm no expert.

Horizontal line bleed is easier seen when you have a movie preview screen you know the one with green color background and then the discription of the movie's rating. I think that all plasmas have linebleed this is something that is unavoidable with this technology. It should not be noticeable during regular content . Like I said the movie trailer ratings screen will show it the best.
hungro is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Member
 
jlp0209's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all, I have a question. Was about to sell my 50ST60 but noticed I have "espn" burned in at the bottom right corner, so I wouldn't sell it to anyone. I've run that screen wipe option within the TV for about 6 hours and it is still there. Anything else I can try? I do have the Best Buy warranty and it says it covers burn-in issues, apparently, but what else could they possibly do? I'll leave the screen wipe option on all day today and see if that does anything, I'm not too optimistic though.
jlp0209 is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Marc_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indianapolis Metro Area
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp0209 View Post

Hi all, I have a question. Was about to sell my 50ST60 but noticed I have "espn" burned in at the bottom right corner, so I wouldn't sell it to anyone. I've run that screen wipe option within the TV for about 6 hours and it is still there. Anything else I can try? I do have the Best Buy warranty and it says it covers burn-in issues, apparently, but what else could they possibly do? I'll leave the screen wipe option on all day today and see if that does anything, I'm not too optimistic though.

Pixel flipper such as on the Disney WOW disc or the one that's linked to this thread frequently (better because no auto-off) will be more likely to help than the screen wipe. Give those a try; run for several days.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
Marc_G is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Member
 
Max Headroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Greece
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd say give it some more time and see if it gets any better... And above all, avoid having the ESPN logo displayed at the same place on the screen.

Would you mind giving some specifics about how did this occur? How many hours had the unit been used when you noticed it, and what Picture mode, Contrast and Panel brightness settings have you been using?

Carpe Diem
Max Headroom is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,868
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp0209 View Post

Hi all, I have a question. Was about to sell my 50ST60 but noticed I have "espn" burned in at the bottom right corner, so I wouldn't sell it to anyone. I've run that screen wipe option within the TV for about 6 hours and it is still there. Anything else I can try? I do have the Best Buy warranty and it says it covers burn-in issues, apparently, but what else could they possibly do? I'll leave the screen wipe option on all day today and see if that does anything, I'm not too optimistic though.
As others have said, you haven't given it enough time, and you haven't used the best method. In addition to the Disney WoW Blu-ray disk, you can also run a movie like those from Pixar in vivid mode using a continuous loop. Be sure the aspect ratio of the movie is 1.78:1 which will fill your screen.

You don't say what you have to do to see the IR. That can make a difference as far as how long it's going to take to remove the IR.

Your BB warranty must have some definition of what they will cover. I'd be surprised if they defined what you have as burn-in, but there is no way for me to know for sure. They could offer you a comparable set, replace your panel, or refund your money. As I understand it, once they do that, your extended warranty will be used up and you would have to start over.
htwaits is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Member
 
jlp0209's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post

I'd say give it some more time and see if it gets any better... And above all, avoid having the ESPN logo displayed at the same place on the screen.

Would you mind giving some specifics about how did this occur? How many hours had the unit been used when you noticed it, and what Picture mode, Contrast and Panel brightness settings have you been using?

I think this occurred sometime over the past couple of weeks. I often leave the TV on while doing work and that is what did it. It was probably on ESPN for 4 hours or so. Picture mode is set to custom I am using D-Nice settings that were posted way back when on this site. Contrast is 79 and Brightness is set at +1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

As others have said, you haven't given it enough time, and you haven't used the best method. In addition to the Disney WoW Blu-ray disk, you can also run a movie like those from Pixar in vivid mode using a continuous loop. Be sure the aspect ratio of the movie is 1.78:1 which will fill your screen.

You don't say what you have to do to see the IR. That can make a difference as far as how long it's going to take to remove the IR.

Your BB warranty must have some definition of what they will cover. I'd be surprised if they defined what you have as burn-in, but there is no way for me to know for sure. They could offer you a comparable set, replace your panel, or refund your money. As I understand it, once they do that, your extended warranty will be used up and you would have to start over.

Thanks for the responses. I will try the Disney WOW disc.

I see the IR when light backgrounds are displayed- light blue and white.

BB warranty says "burn in coverage" but all it says is "if a shadow image sticks." I will contact them as well after running the Disney disc for a day.
jlp0209 is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
snidely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oakland, Ca. & Aventura (Miami), Fl.
Posts: 1,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Two questions:
1. The is a Skype app installed on the panel. It says when I run it, I have to install camera. I plugged my web cam that I use on my lap top into one of the USB ports. Have Chromecast plugged into the other (the bottom one). It doesn't recognize I have a camera plugged in. Maybe its because my portable webcam uses a USB connection for video and a/v wire to pick up audio? I don't care about audio because I use phone connection normally when on Skype.
2. Does changing the sound settings in the menu affect the sound output if you use a Toslink? or does it just affect the settings on the built-in panel speakers?
snidely is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,868
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp0209 View Post

Thanks for the responses. I will try the Disney WOW disc.

I see the IR when light backgrounds are displayed- light blue and white.

BB warranty says "burn in coverage" but all it says is "if a shadow image sticks." I will contact them as well after running the Disney disc for a day.
Your time frame expectations are still low. There is no one to one relationship between getting IR and removing it unfortunately. I would plan on avoiding any stations with fixed images when you are not directly watching the TV, and running the bit flipper in the WoW disk during all the times when you're not directly watching TV for about a week. Then check for progress.

I would also avoid ESPN's channels until you get some positive results. ESPN may be the channel most frequently associated with IR. Someone asked many weeks ago if it was OK to keep ESPN on in the back ground all day long. It sounded like he was using it like a radio.
htwaits is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,408
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

Two questions:
1. The is a Skype app installed on the panel. It says when I run it, I have to install camera. I plugged my web cam that I use on my lap top into one of the USB ports. Have Chromecast plugged into the other (the bottom one). It doesn't recognize I have a camera plugged in. Maybe its because my portable webcam uses a USB connection for video and a/v wire to pick up audio? I don't care about audio because I use phone connection normally when on Skype.
2. Does changing the sound settings in the menu affect the sound output if you use a Toslink? or does it just affect the settings on the built-in panel speakers?
There are only a couple of cameras that will work with the TV. You can't just plug in any webcam, you need a HDTV camera. Search Amazon.
eric3316 is online now  
Old 02-02-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
snidely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oakland, Ca. & Aventura (Miami), Fl.
Posts: 1,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

There are only a couple of cameras that will work with the TV. You can't just plug in any webcam, you need a HDTV camera. Search Amazon.

Thanks for quick reply. I haven't used any of the apps and just noticed Skype (after 7 months). Use Chromecast for Youtube and other things. Do use the builtin Netflix app from the remote. Not worth buying a special camera for the few times we use Skype. The laptop works fine. The intro Skype promo when you click on the app did not mention you need to buy a "special" camera.
snidely is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Member
 
pitterpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2therock View Post

Thanks, If you guys know a stocking dealer with this TV let me know. I cannot find one.

Try Sears, I just picked up a 55" today for $1140; it was a floor model but it had the correct remote, 2 pr of 3D glasses and the screen looked great. Also it only had 1940 hours on it.
pitterpat is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
samijubal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp0209 View Post

Hi all, I have a question. Was about to sell my 50ST60 but noticed I have "espn" burned in at the bottom right corner, so I wouldn't sell it to anyone. I've run that screen wipe option within the TV for about 6 hours and it is still there. Anything else I can try? I do have the Best Buy warranty and it says it covers burn-in issues, apparently, but what else could they possibly do? I'll leave the screen wipe option on all day today and see if that does anything, I'm not too optimistic though.

Why try anything? If you're just looking to sell the TV, use the warranty and hope they replace it with what you want or cash you out. Seems like a waste of time to try to get rid of IR on a TV you have a warranty for and don't want anyway.
samijubal is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Member
 
MetalMX23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Your time frame expectations are still low. There is no one to one relationship between getting IR and removing it unfortunately. I would plan on avoiding any stations with fixed images when you are not directly watching the TV, and running the bit flipper in the WoW disk during all the times when you're not directly watching TV for about a week. Then check for progress.

I would also avoid ESPN's channels until you get some positive results. ESPN may be the channel most frequently associated with IR. Someone asked many weeks ago if it was OK to keep ESPN on in the back ground all day long. It sounded like he was using it like a radio.


This post is spot on. You need time to remove IR it won't just disappear after a few hours of running slides or anything else. I've run that screen cleaner for two 6 hour intervals and the IR is fading but it still remains. I will continue running it until i don't notice it anymore. Imo the channel logo's tend to most frequently be the cause of IR, i really wish networks would remove screen logo's or ideally allow some kind of option where you could choose to turn the logo ON or OFF.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/CleanScreen/index.html

MetalMX23 is offline  
Old 02-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Member
 
Longhorn69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got a 60 inch ST60 about a week ago (internet return to Best Buy that appeared to have never been opened/ used). I'm really happy with the picture, but I'm having intermittent HDMI sync issues (at least that's what I think they are). Every once in a while (maybe one or two times during a typical evening of watching TV - say 3 or 4 hours of watching) the screen flickers between the program and a solid blue screen. This typically lasts 3 to 5 seconds. If I rewind on the DVR I'm able to re-watch the scenes with no issues.

I'm using a DirecTv DVR connected to an Onkyo 508 receiver via HDMI and the receiver to the ST60 via HDMI. The cables are old ones from Monoprice.

I never had these issues with my old Sony LCD using the same gear & cables.

So I plan to troubleshoot by swapping inputs and cables and trying to running the HDMI from source to TV, skipping the receiver.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have not found anything about it on AVS or by googling.

Any other recommendations for troubleshooting?
Longhorn69 is offline  
Old 02-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Member
 
jimreeves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NPR, FL
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone know if the Logitech K400 wireless keyboard will work with the ST60 series?

My system 2013-14

Panasonic TC-P65ST60, TH-50PX75U, Pioneer VSX-33, BDP-150, Fios, Yamaha RXV2500-P2200x2, Infinity QLS, M&K V-75x2
jimreeves is offline  
Old 02-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Newbie
 
vandross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Searched through the thread and Google but have yet to find an answer to this conundrum. I've tried playing a few 3D, Full SBS, MKV files from a USB stick plugged into my P55ST60. The movies are 2.40:1, but when I enable Side by Side 3D from the 'Manual' 3D options, the aspect ratio is zoomed to 16:9. There are no format options available in this mode mode, only "Aspect 2" but obviously I don't want to watch the movie stretched out. 3D works fine with no aspect ratio issues from Blurays and Netflix. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a workaround? Thanks!

vandross is offline  
Old 02-03-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,868
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn69 View Post

Every once in a while (maybe one or two times during a typical evening of watching TV - say 3 or 4 hours of watching) the screen flickers between the program and a solid blue screen. This typically lasts 3 to 5 seconds. If I rewind on the DVR I'm able to re-watch the scenes with no issues.

I'm using a DirecTv DVR connected to an Onkyo 508 receiver via HDMI and the receiver to the ST60 via HDMI. The cables are old ones from Monoprice.

I never had these issues with my old Sony LCD using the same gear & cables.

So I plan to troubleshoot by swapping inputs and cables and trying to running the HDMI from source to TV, skipping the receiver.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have not found anything about it on AVS or by googling.

Any other recommendations for troubleshooting?
Do you have a Blu-ray player? What happens if you watch a long Blu-ray movie?

Are you using your DVR to record the entire program before you watch it, or are you watching live and using the DVR to back up a couple of minutes? My problem is I can't think of an example of a HDMI cable problem that would only happen once or twice in three to four hours. I can't think of a display problem that would behave that way either. My biggest problem is that I can't explain why you see the problem live and not on replay from the DVR.

Your AVR is another possibility but I still can't explain the frequency. If it's the AVR or your HDMI cables, I guess that would explain why your replays are good.

If you haven't tried it, watch an evening of recorded programs for three or four hours and see if the "glitch" happens. That and watching Blu-ray disks are the two things I would do to reduce the number of variables.

EDIT: You can also attach your DVR directly to the TV which would remove your AVR and one HDMI cable from the puzzle.

I've read a lot of posts over the years, and don't recall one like yours, but my memory is what it is. wink.gif
htwaits is offline  
 

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off