post #11611 of 12904 Old 02-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenlr View Post

Neither my Vizio Co-Star or Panasonic TV will play any flash videos anymore. Vizio blamed it on Flash, saying they were no longer supporting the android and smart tv market. Dont know if that is true or not, but the bottom line...Hook up your PC or get NBC to quit using an outdated unsupported streaming format.

Adobe dropped Flash support for Android in August 2012 as HTML5 gained in popularity. I don't know about TVs but they probably did drop them also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11612 of 12904 Old 02-07-2014, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicx View Post

Hello all,

I've been doing some searching and have settled on trying to get an ST60 model as my new TV. I've got a few questions though, hopefully this thread is acceptable grounds for them...

Around here (London, Ontario) there only seems to be one place that has any ST60s, and all the stores that they've got within 200 km have only demo/display models. And they're all either 50" or 55" models.

The local one I've asked and was told that their 55" has been set up as a display for about 5 months, 11 hours a day. The next nearest store has a one that's been up for nearly a year and he estimated about 4000-4500 hours per year in their stores.

Price wise, they've got it listed for $1600, which is $600 more than the P60 model of the same size. From what I've read, the ST is likely worth the extra price, I'm just wondering if a demo model is worth that sort of coin.

I'm not sure if there's really much room to haggle as the ST60s are pretty well reviewed and they'll probably sell for what they're asking based on their good reputation.

1600 for a demo is a rip off, but not many around any more.

Paid 1349 early January for my 55.

If you go for it, just make sure that there isn't any IR

Good luck!

JP

post #11613 of 12904 Old 02-08-2014, 10:56 AM

Liked: 12
So I’ve downloaded some video content (x264), which I view by loading onto a thumb drive and then sticking it in the usb slot of my blu-ray player, which is a Sony bdp-s185; my tv being a 55" ST60. Most of the time, stuff looks positively flawless. With some content, however, I can’t get the aspect ratio to look right – the image looks compressed vertically, so that people look too tall and skinny and what should be perfect circles look like 0’s. I’ve gone into every setting and picture mode that I can think of on the TV, (ie Just, zoom, sidecut zoom) and the only mode that makes things look normal is “H-Fill,” but it zooms way in and cuts out a significant amount of the picture. I’ve had no luck finding relevant options in my player. For reference, the most recent video I've had a problem with had a resolution of 1920x800. I suspect that my player is “forgetting" to render the letterbox bars and stretching the image vertically to fill the screen, but I don’t know if this is the case or how to fix it if it is. Any suggestions on what I can do?
post #11614 of 12904 Old 02-08-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does the optical audio out port from the TV output 5.1 surround sound to an AVR? Streaming Netflix via the Panny app is better than my older Roku for PQ.
post #11615 of 12904 Old 02-08-2014, 11:38 AM

Liked: 11
Hi,

is there any difference in the anti-reflective filters being used and does GT60 do any better than (european) ST60 in handling ambient light?

Carpe Diem
post #11616 of 12904 Old 02-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaace01 View Post

Does the optical audio out port from the TV output 5.1 surround sound to an AVR? Streaming Netflix via the Panny app is better than my older Roku for PQ.

Yes, the optical out supports 5.1 for content the TV decodes (such as the onboard Netflix App or OTA content or content from a thumbdrive). It won't pass through 5.1 that originates elsewhere, such as any content that comes into the TV via the HDMI cable... all of that, it will downconvert to 2.0.

Marc
sigmaace01 likes this.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #11617 of 12904 Old 02-08-2014, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 136
60ST60 Very low light output.
Contrast at 100% 100IRE window Calman reports 8.2ftl.
Panel was a demo and had 2300 hours at Vivid when purchased.
Looks like the panel is shot.
Thoughts, comments please.

TL

Edit: Hum I was using full field patterns, with small window patterns I'm seeing 32ftl.
ABL kicking in?
Confused....
post #11618 of 12904 Old 02-08-2014, 07:29 PM

Looking for some bright room calibration settings. My TV is simply not bright enough during the day. I've calibrated it to night and when my curtains are closed, but cannot get a good bright setting.
post #11619 of 12904 Old 02-08-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post

60ST60 Very low light output.
Contrast at 100% 100IRE window Calman reports 8.2ftl.
Panel was a demo and had 2300 hours at Vivid when purchased.
Looks like the panel is shot.
Thoughts, comments please.

TL

Edit: Hum I was using full field patterns, with small window patterns I'm seeing 32ftl.
ABL kicking in?
Confused....
You might get a better reply in 2013 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread if you provide more detail about the shotness of your panel.

I can see some persistent IR with a demo set, but I can't see a panel coming close to it's half life for brightness in such a short time no matter what settings are used. When I was a Performance Engineer flying in an object that shouldn't have been able to fly, we learned to always suspect our interments when things didn't make sense.

Best wishes. smile.gif

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11620 of 12904 Old 02-09-2014, 03:54 AM

I've just been turned on to the P50ST60. Unfortunately, I've not been able to find a new one ANYWHERE. What I have been able to find are "floor models". I've checked the life on a few and they all range about C3200+/-. Given this type of wear, does anyone have thoughts on whether it is worth moving forward with a floor model TV? Everything I've read says that this is a great set and worth getting if you can find it. Would love any advice.

If I pass on this TV I will most likely be going with the Vizio M501D AR 2

post #11621 of 12904 Old 02-09-2014, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRDJF View Post

I've just been turned on to the P50ST60. Unfortunately, I've not been able to find a new one ANYWHERE. What I have been able to find are "floor models". I've checked the life on a few and they all range about C3200+/-. Given this type of wear, does anyone have thoughts on whether it is worth moving forward with a floor model TV? Everything I've read says that this is a great set and worth getting if you can find it. Would love any advice.

My 65ST60 was a floor model and I'm loving it!
Panasonic says the half-life on these panels is something like 200,000 hours, so 3.2K is just a drop in the bucket. So as long as there's no burn-in on the floor models you should jump on one IMHO.

My system 2013-14

Panasonic TC-P65ST60, TH-50PX75U, Pioneer VSX-33, BDP-150, Fios, Yamaha RXV2500-P2200x2, Infinity QLS, M&K V-75x2
post #11622 of 12904 Old 02-09-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Read this post by NCCaniac. Download D-Nice's "slides" file mentioned (a series of .jpg images which fill the screen with various solid colors, mostly shades of grey), and unzip the "Panel_Prep_Slides" folder onto a USB stick. Plug the USB stick into the ST60 unit, and use the SD/USB button on the remote to play the images as a slide show. (There are a couple of settings to adjust mentioned in the directions in the 2013 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread.) If all of the images look nice and even, with no blotchiness and no burned-in spots or other images, then the panel is probably OK.
post #11623 of 12904 Old 02-09-2014, 10:48 AM

Liked: 18
selling my 50 st60 for $750 in Illinois PM if you interested. less than 2000 hours with the receipt from best buy, great tv I just went with a 60 inch instead we wanted larger.
post #11624 of 12904 Old 02-09-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

Quote:

Read this post by NCCaniac. Download D-Nice's "slides" file mentioned (a series of .jpg images which fill the screen with various solid colors, mostly shades of grey), and unzip the "Panel_Prep_Slides" folder onto a USB stick. Plug the USB stick into the ST60 unit, and use the SD/USB button on the remote to play the images as a slide show. (There are a couple of settings to adjust mentioned in the directions in the 2013 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread.) If all of the images look nice and even, with no blotchiness and no burned-in spots or other images, then the panel is probably OK.
Using slides to check for uniformity and image retention is a good suggestion. Suggesting that the settings provided by D-Nice for the slides isn't a good idea. Those settings are meant to speed up the even aging of a new panel and shouldn't be used for anything else.

I would ask the dealer to put the set into a normal non-showroom mode like Custom, Cinema or THX, and go from there. Any white or light gray screen will show uniformity and IR problems.

The following is my personal take. Uniformity issues wouldn't be a problem for me if I couldn't see them during normal viewing. As for IR, if the set comes with a thirty day return, I wouldn't worry about IR that needed a gray slide to see. I would spend the thirty days using the usual methods for removing IR, and return the set if I didn't see improvement. Burn-in wouldn't improve so that would be my reason to return a set.

The number of hours on the set wouldn't, by them selves, discourage me.

Calibration Resources:

post #11625 of 12904 Old 02-09-2014, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Using slides to check for uniformity and image retention is a good suggestion. Suggesting that the settings provided by D-Nice for the slides isn't a good idea. Those settings are meant to speed up the even aging of a new panel and shouldn't be used for anything else.

I would ask the dealer to put the set into a normal non-showroom mode like Custom, Cinema or THX, and go from there. Any white or light gray screen will show uniformity and IR problems.

Good points. And if you do change any picture settings, be sure to put them back to something conservative (contrast 50 to 70) when you're finished. But actually the settings I was referring to pertained to the slide show setup, which I should have specified, although it probably doesn't matter for this purpose. Showing the slides with any reasonable settings should reveal any image retention present in the panel.
post #11626 of 12904 Old 02-09-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Good points. And if you do change any picture settings, be sure to put them back to something conservative (contrast 50 to 70) when you're finished. But actually the settings I was referring to pertained to the slide show setup, which I should have specified, although it probably doesn't matter for this purpose. Showing the slides with any reasonable settings should reveal any image retention present in the panel.
Maybe I misunderstood what settings you are referring to.

All the slides are is a selections of different colored slides. By themselves there is no reason not to use them.

Using the slides with the settings D-Nice provided to age a new, never used, display is a bad idea if the display is a demo which is already very aged. The D-Nice slide settings are just not relevant as he stated here.

****UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD THESE SETTINGS BE USED WITH ANY OTHER SOURCE MATERIAL BEYOND THE PANEL PREP USB/SD CARD FILES****

Recommended 100 Hour Panel Prep Settings for North American Panasonic TC-PxxS60/ST60/VT60/ZT60 models (ONLY to be used with USB/SD Card Files attached below!!!!!!!!)

*****Note: This procedure is designed to prepare your display for the reference settings listed for each 2013 North American Panasonic model below by aging all pixels equally with the same content. This procedure is NOT designed nor recommended to be used as Break-in, Image Retention and/or Burn-in prevention.*****

Calibration Resources:

post #11627 of 12904 Old 02-09-2014, 10:10 PM

Played Xbox for the first time on this amazing TV. One thing is strange, when fast moving objects go by, they almost pixilate. Not sure if that is the quality of the game, or is that the lag that everyone complains about. Or do I have a setting wrong? (I checked the setting on TV and Xbox, everything looks o.k. I think)
post #11628 of 12904 Old 02-09-2014, 10:50 PM

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyHere View Post

Played Xbox for the first time on this amazing TV. One thing is strange, when fast moving objects go by, they almost pixilate. Not sure if that is the quality of the game, or is that the lag that everyone complains about. Or do I have a setting wrong? (I checked the setting on TV and Xbox, everything looks o.k. I think)

Do you have the Game Mode on?
post #11629 of 12904 Old 02-10-2014, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Right. If I was considering buying an ST60 floor model display, I would certainly try taking D-Nice's slides on a thumb drive and asking the salesperson at the store if you can view some "photos/images" on the thumb drive to better investigate the quality and uniformity of the screen. You can try viewing the slides in all the modes if you wish....it can't possibly hurt the panel....they are just solid color images. If they look good, and there is no other issues with the TV or its basic features, then if you want one of these, I would negotiate the best deal you can get on a floor model with the store manager.

Although I used D-Nice's panel prep process with the slides on my ST60, I have not taken the time to try entering his settings yet...and I may not unless I just want to compare. I made a few tweaks to the settings in Cinema and Home Theater modes and it looks great to me! I did just get the Disney WOW BluRay disc, so I plan to use that when I get the time to adjust other settings to be sure the black levels and colors are OK....but right now...I can't imagine it getting much better. Currently skin tones look very natural on good content, blacks are very good, and the bright colors with the NBC Olympic coverage on OTA NBC are amazing. Down the road, I may end up considering a professional calibration, but I don't feel any urgent need for that.
post #11630 of 12904 Old 02-10-2014, 01:02 PM

TX-P42ST60

viewing mode : true cinema

colour temperature : warm

colour gamut : normal

gamma : 2.4

IRE | GAMMA | RGB

10 : -32 | 44/-12/37

20 : -3 | 22/2/8

30 : -2 | 9/0/3

40 : 3 | 5/0/0

50 : 0 | 6/-1/4

60 : -4 | 0/0/3

70 : -5 | 0/0/10

80 : -1 | -3/0/0

90 : -1 | -7/0/-2

100 : 0 | -8/0/-10

Colour Management

R-Sat : 36 (for the deviation of 25% and 50% red to be <1dE)

G-Hue : -5

This settings gave pretty much ruler flat lines for gamma and rgb tracking, according to my i1display pro and hcfr.

Objective judgement of image quality is ofcourse perfect!

post #11631 of 12904 Old 02-10-2014, 01:19 PM

Hi All, I got my ST60 last summer... love it! My ex, Sammy LCD had an OTA EPG you could get to from the remote. I can't find one on the Panasonic, and I'm surprised there isn't a Viera app for it.

I've seen reviews on the internet of other Panasonic tvs having the EPG... usually accesable form the Home screen.

Am I just missing the boat?

Dave
post #11632 of 12904 Old 02-10-2014, 02:42 PM

Can someone tell me if the TV is Bluetooth A2DP capable? The Panasonic specifications say, "A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) compliant audio devices are available." What does that mean? The Swipe & Share feature from the remote app is awful.

Also, is there a list of compatable video formats for streaming somewhere? Maybe I just need to dig in the manual more...
post #11633 of 12904 Old 02-10-2014, 02:53 PM

I purchased a brand new 60ST60 on 12/27/13, (best self Xmas present ever) and learned that I got the last new 60" ST60 at any sears in my area. I stopped in today at my sears to check if the price had dropped, or if they even had it anymore. They are of course sold out, but they had the floor model 60ST60, with 2700 hours, no visible issues with the screen, going for $1349. I paid $1499 for mine brand new, so I was pretty stoked that they'd only drop it 10% for a floor model with that much use. Includes remote, papers, glasses etc, but no actual cardboard box, which sucks. Good luck to anyone still looking for these, the floor models will be gone soon.

Panasonic 60ST60, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Polk RTiA9, PS3 Slim
post #11634 of 12904 Old 02-10-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc4fun View Post

Hi All, I got my ST60 last summer... love it! My ex, Sammy LCD had an OTA EPG you could get to from the remote. I can't find one on the Panasonic, and I'm surprised there isn't a Viera app for it.

I've seen reviews on the internet of other Panasonic tvs having the EPG... usually accesable form the Home screen.

Am I just missing the boat?

Dave
I don't know what EPG is, and I don't own a Panasonic plasma, but since your previous set was LCD, maybe your were reading about Panasonic LCD sets. smile.gif

Calibration Resources:

post #11635 of 12904 Old 02-10-2014, 04:10 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc4fun View Post

Hi All, I got my ST60 last summer... love it! My ex, Sammy LCD had an OTA EPG you could get to from the remote. I can't find one on the Panasonic, and I'm surprised there isn't a Viera app for it. I've seen reviews on the internet of other Panasonic tvs having the EPG... usually accesable form the Home screen.

AFAIK the North American Panasonic's have never had an EPG (Electronic Programming Guide), but the European and Australian models do so you were probably reading reviews from other countries.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #11636 of 12904 Old 02-10-2014, 04:29 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasdag View Post

I purchased a brand new 60ST60 on 12/27/13, (best self Xmas present ever) and learned that I got the last new 60" ST60 at any sears in my area. I stopped in today at my sears to check if the price had dropped, or if they even had it anymore. They are of course sold out, but they had the floor model 60ST60, with 2700 hours, no visible issues with the screen, going for $1349. I paid $1499 for mine brand new, so I was pretty stoked that they'd only drop it 10% for a floor model with that much use. Includes remote, papers, glasses etc, but no actual cardboard box, which sucks. Good luck to anyone still looking for these, the floor models will be gone soon.

Congrats! I got mine less than 2 weeks before you, after closely monitoring this thread since March 2013. I'm glad I took the plunge when I did for sure. It's a heck of a panel that's for sure. Blu-Ray is drop dead gorgeous. I'm now looking forward to getting my set calibrated at this point to see what this puppy is really capable of.

FWIW, I've shown some buddies of mine just how good the picture quality is, and my first go to is always the intro scene from the new Star Trek:Into Darkness. The colors blow my mind everytime! cool.gif

Anyone else here have some go to scenes to demo the picture quality? (I'm patiently waiting for Gravity...)

post #11637 of 12904 Old 02-10-2014, 04:46 PM

Liked: 28
Is any regular on this thread in the Cincy metro area? My brother and I are looking to have our ST60s calibrated soon, and I've got a friend about an hour and a half away who is ISF certified to come do it. PM me and maybe we can knock a few out in one swipe and knock down some cost tongue.gif

post #11638 of 12904 Old 02-10-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizimes View Post

Is any regular on this thread in the Cincy metro area? My brother and I are looking to have our ST60s calibrated soon, and I've got a friend about an hour and a half away who is ISF certified to come do it. PM me and maybe we can knock a few out in one swipe and knock down some cost tongue.gif

Is that an hour and a half north, by chance? If your guy wants to come to Columbus (south Bexley), I'm passing the 500 hour mark on my 60ST60 and ripe for a calibration, assuming avs-group-buy discount of course wink.gif. I did the disney wow and it's freaking great I must say, but I don't know if there's some unobtainium level of greatness with a pro calibration that I'm missing out on.

Panasonic 60ST60, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Polk RTiA9, PS3 Slim
post #11639 of 12904 Old 02-10-2014, 05:08 PM

If you have your set connected to the internet launch the you tube app and do a search for 4k these amazing video clips I guess with down converting to 1080p will really make your display pop . I always fire it up when I want to show someone pq of my 65st60. as for 3d experience Pacific Rim with its full display format really makes an eye popping statement. enjoy
post #11640 of 12904 Old 02-10-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABNEWF View Post

If you have your set connected to the internet launch the you tube app and do a search for 4k these amazing video clips I guess with down converting to 1080p will really make your display pop . I always fire it up when I want to show someone pq of my 65st60. as for 3d experience Pacific Rim with its full display format really makes an eye popping statement. enjoy
I did it! Pretty impressive.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread - P55st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page