Advertisement

post #11702 of 12937 Old 02-15-2014, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhenrickson View Post

So it's been one month since I found image retention of the Cartoon Network logo on my TV. I have not allowed the kids to watch CN since then. I ran the Disney Pixel Flipper for about 24 hours one day. I am still seeing the CN logo on the bottom, clearly visible with a bright background, not visible with most programming material. I have no idea how it came to this. In my opinion, the kids didn't watch THAT much CN to cause this problem (maybe a few hours a week tops). It's not like it was ever left on pause for an extended period.

Other image retention I've noticed (NFL score from the score/time banner, the Fox World Series logo, etc) are all long gone. CN is the only hint of IR that remains.

I posted about this last month when I first noticed it, and got a few helpful responses. Honestly, I am surprised that it has been a month without any CN viewing and it hasn't gone away yet.

Is there anything I can do at this point to help this go away, or do I basically stay the course of not watching CN and hope for the best?

This was my biggest fear with plasma, and after reading about how burn-in is basically not a problem, but IR can be a problem and can usually go away, I was not worried about it, until now that is.

Thanks for any advice.

Well, it's now been four months and the CN logo is still visible - particularly noticable on very light backgrounds (the ice/snow while watching the olympics it's easily visible). It is not visible on other viewing content with darker colors. I would say there has been 30 minutes of CN viewing in the last four months, and this thing still won't go away. Is there a best course of action at this point? I love this TV, but I think it's pretty ridiculous that this logo just won't go away after all this time. I'm starting to think that I am stuck with it.
post #11703 of 12937 Old 02-15-2014, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 83
What settings are being used for 3d now that there have been noticed improvements?
Panel Brightness?
Motion?
3d offset?
Etc

My Panasonic 60ST60 Settings

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11704 of 12937 Old 02-15-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Well, it's now been four months and the CN logo is still visible - particularly noticable on very light backgrounds (the ice/snow while watching the olympics it's easily visible). It is not visible on other viewing content with darker colors. I would say there has been 30 minutes of CN viewing in the last four months, and this thing still won't go away. Is there a best course of action at this point? I love this TV, but I think it's pretty ridiculous that this logo just won't go away after all this time. I'm starting to think that I am stuck with it.

I had IR a few months ago with my 65ST60 from watching netflix with closed caption on for 4 months right after the purchase. two pinkish lines at the bottom center show when there is a white background.

running slides or full screen movies did not help. I called panasonic and they sent technician over to fix. he said the panel is to thin to replace. so they replaced my TV with a new one.

unfortunately, the new one has a different problem, buzz. the old one had buzz but not as bad as the new one. called panasonic again and they had the same technician to replace two motherboards which did nothing. then they refuse to do further, stating that it is working as spec.

I had an older panasonic purchased in early 2000's and never had IR, at least I never notice. so I underestimated the IR issue when I watched with CC on for months with ST60. Buzz issue is another annoying problem. I think I love plasma PQ but IR and buzz is a big deal. I will make sure that next TV will not have these two issues, meaning no plasma.
post #11705 of 12937 Old 02-15-2014, 02:46 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowingChicken View Post

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but has anyone had any luck playing 3D content through the built in Netflix app? I just get a black screen and after about a minute the audio cuts out and nothing happens.
I don't use much of the Panasonic apps, like the web browser, you tube, or netflix etc, because they are usually slow and disappointing. Netflix however on my PS3 is the coolest app ever, and I do regularly stream Netflix 3D from my PS3 to my AVR receiver to my 60ST60 and it's great, I watched african wild animals the other night in 3d, and it works pretty perfectly. Only issue is my ISP and their inconsistent highspeed to me. I have to unscrew the coax and power down the modem usually once a day, sometimes more, to get a fresh connection to their server. And without a 20mbps or higher nice strong signal, 3D is not a sure stream from netflix. It'll stop and say "your connection blows too hard, do you want to watch in 2D instead?"

Panasonic 60ST60, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Polk RTiA9, PS3 Slim
post #11706 of 12937 Old 02-15-2014, 03:02 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

I'd call Panasonic & tell them you're gonna kick their face up around the back of their ass if they don't make good on it!

Just my 2 cents
Carmine
post #11707 of 12937 Old 02-15-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by carminepesce View Post

Quote:

I'd call Panasonic & tell them you're gonna kick their face up around the back of their ass if they don't make good on it!

Just my 2 cents
Carmine
Sure that will work. Nothing like dumping on a low level employ to get the attention of the chairman of the board. rolleyes.gif

I know you probably think it never works, but I still use persistent politeness on the way up the chain of authorized power. wink.gif
shenaniganz08 likes this.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11708 of 12937 Old 02-15-2014, 05:38 PM

I just couldn't resist saying that although it is hardly the way I ever deal with a problem myself ;-) - Just trying to break out a giggle.....
post #11709 of 12937 Old 02-16-2014, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I've had excellent results using the software JScreenFix to eliminate IR on my 50ST60. It is a television logo as well in the top right hand corner of the screen. I have run JScreenFix for maybe 24 hours non-continuously and I'd estimate that there appears to be a 50-60% reduction in the IR i am seeing during normal viewing. I will continue running this app during the night until i no longer notice the IR. To run the app i've connected my laptop to my ST60 via HDMI and chose to duplicate the image in Windows 8 settings. Just be careful to hide the mouse pointer, i typically just drag it to the bottom right hand corner of the screen until it's no longer visible.

post #11710 of 12937 Old 02-16-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but has anyone had any luck playing 3D content through the built in Netflix app? I just get a black screen and after about a minute the audio cuts out and nothing happens.

Your internet connection might be slow. Try using netflix from another source i can watch netflix wifi from ps3, but when 3d came to netflix i had to switch back to ethernet instead
post #11711 of 12937 Old 02-16-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma7820 View Post

Your internet connection might be slow. Try using netflix from another source i can watch netflix wifi from ps3, but when 3d came to netflix i had to switch back to ethernet instead

What ISP are you using? Unless you have Open Connect you may have issues streaming 3D. You may consider trying a different device like a Roku, since different devices often use different delivery networks. Also, are you getting Super HD codecs? To determine this I recommend playing an example short to determine your streaming speed: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Example_Short_23.976/70136810?trkid=13641790. For SHD and 3D you need 5800 KPS.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #11712 of 12937 Old 02-16-2014, 03:49 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxnews View Post

I had IR a few months ago with my 65ST60 from watching netflix with closed caption on for 4 months right after the purchase. two pinkish lines at the bottom center show when there is a white background.

running slides or full screen movies did not help. I called panasonic and they sent technician over to fix. he said the panel is to thin to replace. so they replaced my TV with a new one.

unfortunately, the new one has a different problem, buzz. the old one had buzz but not as bad as the new one. called panasonic again and they had the same technician to replace two motherboards which did nothing. then they refuse to do further, stating that it is working as spec.

I had an older panasonic purchased in early 2000's and never had IR, at least I never notice. so I underestimated the IR issue when I watched with CC on for months with ST60. Buzz issue is another annoying problem. I think I love plasma PQ but IR and buzz is a big deal. I will make sure that next TV will not have these two issues, meaning no plasma.

The Cartoon Network logo is the worst one. My ST30 Plasma had an IR very bad, i thought it is permanently burn in and i gave up on it, i disable the CN from my channels list, after few months of other tv content my CN logo is gone, Calibrating that TV has also helped, no more stubborn IRs any more, on ST60 plasma i have not seen stubborn IR yet, i have been watching lot of sports channels on it, so far so good. I also hate logo on TLC channel, logos are generally getting annoying it almost covers one side of screen, advertising for programs.
post #11713 of 12937 Old 02-16-2014, 04:43 PM

Question: How do I achieve maximum smoothness, AKA soap opera effect?

So I've had my 55" ST60 for about 5 months, and I am loving it. I've tinkered with a lot of the settings; I ran the "break-in" slides and tried out D-nice's calibration, but found that I didn't care for the look. In contrast to a lot of the sentiment I've seen here, I actually REALLY enjoy the motion smoother and the proverbial soap opera effect. I currently use my TV primarily for blurays and have my TV's motion smoother set to "strong" and my bluray player set to output 24p. I then have my TV's refresh rate set at 96hz. I've done a lot of reading about de-judder, and some of what I've read here http://www.projectorcentral.com/judder_24p.htm?page=Minimizing-Judder makes me scratch my head; it seems to suggest setting the TV to 60hz and letting the TV perform 3:2 pulldown for maximum smoothness. I know you guys know this TV best; how should I set up my TV to maximize that glorious (ha!) soap opera effect without introducing undue artifacts? Am I missing some setting either in my bluray player or TV? Thanks guys!
post #11714 of 12937 Old 02-16-2014, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukaspriest View Post

So I've had my 55" ST60 for about 5 months, and I am loving it. I've tinkered with a lot of the settings; I ran the "break-in" slides and tried out D-nice's calibration, but found that I didn't care for the look. In contrast to a lot of the sentiment I've seen here, I actually REALLY enjoy the motion smoother and the proverbial soap opera effect. I currently use my TV primarily for blurays and have my TV's motion smoother set to "strong" and my bluray player set to output 24p. I then have my TV's refresh rate set at 96hz. I've done a lot of reading about de-judder, and some of what I've read here http://www.projectorcentral.com/judder_24p.htm?page=Minimizing-Judder makes me scratch my head; it seems to suggest setting the TV to 60hz and letting the TV perform 3:2 pulldown for maximum smoothness. I know you guys know this TV best; how should I set up my TV to maximize that glorious (ha!) soap opera effect without introducing undue artifacts? Am I missing some setting either in my bluray player or TV? Thanks guys!

I'm not an expert by any means but I believe some people think that 60hz is smoother because the pulldown introduces some blur that can further mask judder.

I just purchased a ST60 and so far I like 96hz with smoothing set to mid. But then again I liked the first Hobbit film in 48fps in the theater too so take my opinion with a grain of salt. smile.gif I'm not enough of a purist to want to watch low frame rate panning judder when we can do something about it. The same Hobbit film on this set judders like crazy at the beginning with 96hz and motion smoothing at weak or off.
lukaspriest likes this.
post #11715 of 12937 Old 02-16-2014, 05:25 PM

If you loved the Hobbit at 48hz, then I am confident that we share enthusiasm for motion smoothing. smile.gif I went into the advanced picture settings and found 1080p pixel direct , I assume I should have that turned on. Can anyone explain what exactly this function does? It says "use only with a 4:4:4 capable source and that it'll be grayed out if not supported. My blu-ray player must support this function.
post #11716 of 12937 Old 02-16-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

If you loved the Hobbit at 48hz, then I am confident that we share enthusiasm for motion smoothing. smile.gif I went into the advanced picture settings and found 1080p pixel direct , I assume I should have that turned on. Can anyone explain what exactly this function does? It says "use only with a 4:4:4 capable source and that it'll be grayed out if not supported. My blu-ray player must support this function.

Pixel direct makes sure that the video output (which must be exactly 1080p in a compatible pixel format) lines up correctly with the physical pixels of the screen, avoiding any small scaling issue that could result in moiré patterns or lack of appropriate sharpness.

This can certainly be used with Bluray or cable boxes that output proper 1080p, but is most specifically useful when hooking up the TV to a PC, whose video cards may do odd scaling things which this setting can correct for. In my case, when I hooked up my HTPC to this TV, using an ATI Radeon 5670 video card, the scaling wasn't quite perfect, causing me to fuss around a bit, then I found this setting on the TV, set the video card to default, and all was well.

Marc
lukaspriest likes this.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #11717 of 12937 Old 02-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Some folks seem to think that1080p pixel direct set to on adds some artificial sharpness to the image. I couldn't really tell a difference either way. It's probably more important to turn overscan off and size to 1.
lukaspriest likes this.
post #11718 of 12937 Old 02-16-2014, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I also have a P55ST60, and I also like the "soap opera effect" at least in principle. I've played with the motion smoothing settings a bit, and I decided to stick with Mid after watching a Snowy Owl episode of Nature. When the owl glides across a complex background early in the episode, I saw the moving background sometimes jump every second or so on Strong, and I concluded that the ST60 may not have enough processing power to do that much motion smoothing. OTOH, I have tried Strong while watching some of the Olympics, and I have not seen the same issue, so I guess more testing is in order.
lukaspriest likes this.
post #11719 of 12937 Old 02-16-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

Some folks seem to think that1080p pixel direct set to on adds some artificial sharpness to the image. I couldn't really tell a difference either way. It's probably more important to turn overscan off and size to 1.

Man, this (turning overscan off) is SO important. I spent the first several weeks with my TV bummed out because it just didn't quite "look right." It just didn't look as sharp as I thought it was supposed to....and then I used the Disney WOW disc and discovered that I'd had overscan on.

Thanks everyone for the replies about pixel direct.
Marc_G likes this.
post #11720 of 12937 Old 02-17-2014, 03:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Man, this (turning overscan off) is SO important. I spent the first several weeks with my TV bummed out because it just didn't quite "look right." It just didn't look as sharp as I thought it was supposed to....and then I used the Disney WOW disc and discovered that I'd had overscan on.

Thanks everyone for the replies about pixel direct.

I totally agree with this. Everyone should run a 1-pixel test grid and make sure things are lining up. It can make a significant difference, even though it is a subtle one!

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #11721 of 12937 Old 02-17-2014, 09:20 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

I totally agree with this. Everyone should run a 1-pixel test grid and make sure things are lining up. It can make a significant difference, even though it is a subtle one!

The problem is TV content is quite annoying. Some channels dont fill out the whole screen leaving a quarter of an inch on usually the right hand side. 

post #11722 of 12937 Old 02-18-2014, 12:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by marky12 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

The problem is TV content is quite annoying. Some channels dont fill out the whole screen leaving a quarter of an inch on usually the right hand side. 
That would be a situation where you might want overscan.

Calibration Resources:

post #11723 of 12937 Old 02-18-2014, 07:54 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

That would be a situation where you might want overscan.

Yes speaking of overscan, I have noticed quite a few channels having this issue. Being an idiot (this is our first plasma) I was alarmed at first when I saw the "flickering" white at the very top of the screen.( I am sorry, I really don't know another way to describe it). And of course I only saw it when the picture was not zoomed in.
Well I did a bit of searching online which wasn't easy because I had no name to associate with this issue (told you I'm dumb biggrin.gif ) but I did find some info & video of this on you tube which was a relief to me to discover it wasn't a problem with our beautiful, beloved st60 but rather the broadcast.
So even though I have read many posts about making sure overscan is off I turned it on anyways.

And speaking of broadcast, the Olympics have so far been awful, I mean constant pixelation, freeze ups etc. But while I was going to blame NBC this happens on just about all of our channels at some point particularly at night. It seems to be an issue with good ol' Comcast. The picture at times will simply freeze up and stay that way for a 1/2 hour at a time.
We'd get an antenna if we didn't live down in a hole surrounded by hills

An "Analog Kid" in a digital world
post #11724 of 12937 Old 02-18-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushfan2112 View Post

And speaking of broadcast, the Olympics have so far been awful, I mean constant pixelation, freeze ups etc. But while I was going to blame NBC this happens on just about all of our channels at some point particularly at night. It seems to be an issue with good ol' Comcast. The picture at times will simply freeze up and stay that way for a 1/2 hour at a time.

Must be your cable company or STB, the Oly's look fantastic through Fios.

If you have dropouts or freezeups it would be worth a call to your provider, you might have a coax connection problem from the telephone pole outside to your house. Had that last year and the tech fixed it in short order.

My system 2013-14

Panasonic TC-P65ST60, TH-50PX75U, Pioneer VSX-33, BDP-150, Fios, Yamaha RXV2500-P2200x2, Infinity QLS, M&K V-75x2
post #11725 of 12937 Old 02-18-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimreeves View Post

Must be your cable company or STB, the Oly's look fantastic through Fios.

If you have dropouts or freezeups it would be worth a call to your provider, you might have a coax connection problem from the telephone pole outside to your house. Had that last year and the tech fixed it in short order.

Lucky you with the Fios. verizon was in the process of setting it up but then pulled out of Northern New England and abandoned plans to expand the technology up here to NH so as far as I know Fios is only available in the Boston area.

But you know, I think you are onto something with that telephone pole suggestion.

They have been doing alot of work right out here on our pole. First an outfit was in the neighborhood pounding on all the poles with sledge hammers, ours and two others were singled out to be changed. That happened just last week. The electrical connections are all on the new pole which was put in beside the old one but the cable and telephone (Fairpoint) are still on the old one which I assume will be taken care of by both companies as soon as we get a break from all of these damn snowstorms.

post #11726 of 12937 Old 02-18-2014, 08:39 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushfan2112 View Post

That's definitely a cable company problem. We've been watching the NBC ch 4.1 broadcast over my roof antenna through my Tivo as well as watching in the den using our Time Warner DVR both on NBC ch 404 and NBCSC on ch 469 (TWC in my town actually has better PQ than in surrounding towns). NBCSN's broadcast quality is nowhere near as good as the same content on 404 and gets a little pixelated and macroblocky in fast motion (same issue on NBCSN when watching Formula One and Indycar racing compared to how it looks on OTA or ESPN)

But on 4.1 it looks fantastic and 404 it looks almost as good as 4.1 does. Some of my customers who live in West LA were also complaining about the poor picture quality on their Comcast network. My boss reports that it looks pristine on his 60ST30 using FIOS.

Quote:

Have you tried a good Winegard or Channel Master long range VHF/UHF Roof Antenna yet to see if you can get a signal?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #11727 of 12937 Old 02-18-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

That's definitely a cable company problem. We've been watching the NBC ch 4.1 broadcast over my roof antenna through my Tivo as well as watching in the den using our Time Warner DVR both on NBC ch 404 and NBCSC on ch 469 (TWC in my town actually has better PQ than in surrounding towns). NBCSN's broadcast quality is nowhere near as good as the same content on 404 and gets a little pixelated and macroblocky in fast motion (same issue on NBCSN when watching Formula One and Indycar racing compared to how it looks on OTA or ESPN)

But on 4.1 it looks fantastic and 404 it looks almost as good as 4.1 does. Some of my customers who live in West LA were also complaining about the poor picture quality on their Comcast network. My boss reports that it looks pristine on his 60ST30 using FIOS.
Have you tried a good Winegard or Channel Master long range VHF/UHF Roof Antenna yet to see if you can get a signal?

Until Comcast began scrambling OTA basic channels last April all of those .1 channels looked magnificent even on our old Sony HD crt. The Olympics would have been even better on the plasma I'm certain.

As for the antenna, we had someone come out to look over the situation. There is but two channels close enough where we live here in NH that would even be picked up by a roof antenna. Everything else is out of Boston.

For my little Hello Kitty 13" novelty set in the dining room I do have a small antenna and pick up the two local stations (WMUR and their affiliate MeTV) which is fine. Keeps me company when I'm cooking etc If that gets too boring well then I just fire up the ol' Hello Kitty dvd player......... biggrin.gif

post #11728 of 12937 Old 02-18-2014, 09:51 AM

I managed to find a new, in box 55" ST60 in Kitchener. And they were asking for less than what the stores around here were asking for display models.

Pretty damn stoked to have found one!
turkeylord likes this.
post #11729 of 12937 Old 02-18-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicx View Post

I managed to find a new, in box 55" ST60 in Kitchener. And they were asking for less than what the stores around here were asking for display models.

Pretty damn stoked to have found one!

New in box????!!!! Consider that a miracle !!

Congratulations smile.gif

post #11730 of 12937 Old 02-18-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 501
^^^Congrats they are great sets smile.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread - P55st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page