Forum Jump: 

post #11791 of 12746 Old 02-23-2014, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkenaar View Post

Found a P60ST60, $840, 3200 hours, no box, no remote, IR (see below). Any hope for this or do I keep looking (and hoping)?

Not a chance man, look for one at Sears since they actually take care of their floor models which is where I bought mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19 View Post

I was in Sears yesterday looking at Tv's and there on the floor NITB was a 60" st 60 priced T 1499.99 I know what they had been selling for but I bought it. I really wanted a 65" but can't find any. What are the best settings for this tv. Are they posted somewhere in this thread? I have always used cnet settings my 50" st50 is with the cnet settings. My new 60" st is replacing my 50" kuro. So far watching the race today and the supper bowl I stl have it recorded to check out new Tv's with it looks good.
Allen

1499 for a 60 inch model? That's almost the price a 55 inch model would go for. 

Use D-Nice break-in slides and apply his settings afterwards. His thread is somewhere here in this sub forum I think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11792 of 12746 Old 02-24-2014, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Keyboard update:

The Logitech K400 keyboard with built-in touchpad works great with the ST60, although the cursor movement is still slow. But it makes entering text SO much easier compared to the remote.

I set up the unify receiver~keyboard link on my desktop PC per the 'instructions' before using it with the TV.

My system 2013-14

Panasonic TC-P65ST60, TH-50PX75U, Pioneer VSX-33, BDP-150, Fios, Yamaha RXV2500-P2200x2, Infinity QLS, M&K V-75x2
post #11793 of 12746 Old 02-24-2014, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Castrejon View Post

Not a chance man, look for one at Sears since they actually take care of their floor models which is where I bought mine.

1499 for a 60 inch model? That's almost the price a 55 inch model would go for. 

Use D-Nice break-in slides and apply his settings afterwards. His thread is somewhere here in this sub forum I think.

My personal experience with Sears has been the opposite so it can certainly vary from region to region. My local Sears wanted way too much for an open box set that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in ages and was showing Olympic coverage with tons of logos. They ONLY advantage over Best Buy was that it still had the stand. But I'll take 40% off at BB with no stand over 10% off of what is still a Sears floor model stand or no stand any day. I mean that's just ridiculous when you consider the hours on these sets.
post #11794 of 12746 Old 02-24-2014, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

My personal experience with Sears has been the opposite so it can certainly vary from region to region. My local Sears wanted way too much for an open box set that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in ages and was showing Olympic coverage with tons of logos. They ONLY advantage over Best Buy was that it still had the stand. But I'll take 40% off at BB with no stand over 10% off of what is still a Sears floor model stand or no stand any day. I mean that's just ridiculous when you consider the hours on these sets.

I looked at several ST60s at various Sears in the area on Friday. Agree they were all very dirty and most had significant IR from video loops. That problem is not specific to Sears tho most stores don't do anything special to take care of display models. HHGregg for example runs ESPN non stop on their sets.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #11795 of 12746 Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Bottom line is only buy a floor model that you can examine first and don't take anything for granted. My set came from the dreaded Panasonic display seen in the pics a few posts above this one and it only had 800 hours on it and no burn in (although the bezel was scratched on the bottom and it has some minor uniformity issues that appear to be pretty common on this model. I can live with since it's not visible on normal content).

With no remote you can look at a menu with the controls on the side (I suggest the Eco menu...it has a lot of grayscale on it) or bring D Nice slides on a memory key and your own remote if you have a Harmony etc you can program in advance.
post #11796 of 12746 Old 02-24-2014, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23

thanks for the confirmation ;) I really love the screen, and besides the weird upconversion I can recommended it to anyone. The upconconversion glitches happen when I play SD (or even 720p) material via the onboard mediaplayer. I also see it happen when I play something with my old dvd player (wich is still hooked up via component because its a region free player). Everything I play via my bluray (sony 4100) looks amazing.

Im thinking of maybe getting an region free dvd player wich can properly upconvert,

post #11797 of 12746 Old 02-24-2014, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

I will say I wish I had a better understanding of what causes uniformity issues on these sets.

My first floor model ST60 had 2700 hours in it. With slides the center was a bit pinkish and the sides green. You could see this in some content (mostly blue skies) and on the screen wipe.

With my second floor model set with 800 hours a white slide has just a touch of the same tint pattern with it getting a bit worse as you view the 'less than white' slides...but almost disappearing when you get to the darkest gray slide. And the screen wipe is always white. I can also watch black and white movies on this set without seeing any issues (but then I never tested that on the last one).

I suppose I'm just worried about my latest set looking like the previous one as the hours accumulate. Now granted I only watch movies on this plasma and 1900 hours is a lot of movies but after my SXRD experience I'm tired of TVs that degrade over time.
post #11798 of 12746 Old 02-24-2014, 06:39 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:

I was in Sears yesterday looking at Tv's and there on the floor NITB was a 60" st 60 priced T 1499.99 I know what they had been selling for but I bought it. I really wanted a 65" but can't find any.
You scored. And that price is very acceptable at this point. Congrats !

Quote:
What are the best settings for this tv.
There are no "best settings", there are so many variables (source, content, environment, panel variation, personal preference etc etc) that what works for other people may or may not look good to you. Try the different settings you find and see if anyone's settings look good to you.

Quote:
Are they posted somewhere in this thread?

Yes, several people have posted their settings in this thread, and there is a 2013 Panasonic settings/issues thread as well.

Quote:
I have always used cnet settings my 50" st50 is with the cnet settings. My new 60" st is replacing my 50" kuro. So far watching the race today and the supper bowl I stl have it recorded to check out new Tv's with it looks good.

FOX's broadcast quality of the Daytona 500 yesterday was poor. I recorded it over the antenna and it looked more like upconverted SD than HD so don't go by that broadcast wink.gif

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #11799 of 12746 Old 02-24-2014, 08:19 AM

Was looking for any of the 3 models for about a month. I found on craigslist a brand NIB 65" ST60. Box was never even opened. A young girl had won the tv on some contest a few months back. Was local to me as well. Ended it up scoring this for $1300. I am so stocked........So glad, I've had Panny's for 6 years, thought I lost out on the best models. THis will keep me good for a long time
post #11800 of 12746 Old 02-24-2014, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdoggie24 View Post

Was looking for any of the 3 models for about a month. I found on craigslist a brand NIB 65" ST60. Box was never even opened. A young girl had won the tv on some contest a few months back. Was local to me as well. Ended it up scoring this for $1300. I am so stocked........So glad, I've had Panny's for 6 years, thought I lost out on the best models. THis will keep me good for a long time

Great find. Congrats!
post #11801 of 12746 Old 02-24-2014, 08:40 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Awesome score indeed! You must have had some good karma coming your way! Congrats.

My system 2013-14

Panasonic TC-P65ST60, TH-50PX75U, Pioneer VSX-33, BDP-150, Fios, Yamaha RXV2500-P2200x2, Infinity QLS, M&K V-75x2
post #11802 of 12746 Old 02-24-2014, 09:39 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:

You will not be disappointed! The A/V gods were looking down upon you today!!!

post #11803 of 12746 Old 02-24-2014, 09:48 AM

I got a 50" ST60 recently. I have a problem where the screen randomly turns to 4:3 very briefly. The bottom half of the video can be seen on the top half of the screen, and it's all distorted. Then it quickly switches back to normal 16:9 mode. It's happened while watching HULU via my PS3, and while watching a video file on a USB thumb drive.

Also the audio is out of sync once and a while. Especially on broadcast TV.

I can't decide if I should return it, (since there are no other st60s available). But I would regret it if these problems persist.

post #11804 of 12746 Old 02-24-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

I've had no IR issues whatsoever with either of my ST60s. I started playing games at about 75 hours and have never seen a hint of IR. There have been people with other results though. I have always just watched my plasmas to break-in just avoiding black bars and static images.

Good luck finding one at this point, they are pretty much gone except a few display TVs that are going fast.
Lucky you! My panel gets IR like you wouldn't believe but the good thing is that it is always short term IR and goes away very quickly.
post #11805 of 12746 Old 02-24-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Lucky you! My panel gets IR like you wouldn't believe but the good thing is that it is always short term IR and goes away very quickly.

I Am about 700hrs in on my 65st60 and up until this week there was not a hint of IR. Now I am getting it for any bright menu screens that are up for more that a few minutes , so far it goes fast. Not sure why it would suddenly start doing this after such a long time . Nothing has changed setting wise using both the sound and vision settings and what I got from the wow disc. Love the set the picture is amazing and no buzzing issues at all. I would say my only gripe would be based on the media player and its file sorting and non support of large hdd's . Hopefully something that gets fixed with a future firmware .
post #11806 of 12746 Old 02-24-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

IR after 3 mins? How is that even possible? I was playing Mario Kart 64 the other day, and the track map on the screen didn't go away after the race finished. It took a few mins to go away and everything went back to normal. I watch TV with logos stuck on the screen for a long time and I never get any IR at all. It's just weird.

post #11807 of 12746 Old 02-24-2014, 11:42 AM

my ST60 came with the 2 pairs of 3D glasses, was wondering (which I haven't tried yet) if my parents 3 year old G30 (3D) Panasonic 3D glasses work with my current Panasonic ST60? they currently own 4 pairs, just wondering if I can cross them over, and use them at my place when the time comes.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Display#1: Pioneer Kuro Plasma PDP-5020FD (Living Room)
Display#2: Panasonic Plasma TC-P55ST60 (Rec-Room)
Display#3: Samsung LED SmartTV - UN32EH5300 (Bedroom)
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1326-k -- Speakers: Bose Acoustimass 6 Series III
BD Player: Sony BDP-S350 -- PS3 & PS4
HTPC: Home Theatre PC
post #11808 of 12746 Old 02-24-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozman View Post

my ST60 came with the 2 pairs of 3D glasses, was wondering (which I haven't tried yet) if my parents 3 year old G30 (3D) Panasonic 3D glasses work with my current Panasonic ST60? they currently own 4 pairs, just wondering if I can cross them over, and use them at my place when the time comes.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks

No the Gt30 glasses will not work Panasonic switched from IR to RF in the 2012 model year, the good news is you can pick up Samsung glasses that work well for about $20 if you are looking to add more pairs.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #11809 of 12746 Old 02-24-2014, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Castrejon View Post

IR after 3 mins? How is that even possible? I was playing Mario Kart 64 the other day, and the track map on the screen didn't go away after the race finished. It took a few mins to go away and everything went back to normal. I watch TV with logos stuck on the screen for a long time and I never get any IR at all. It's just weird.
I get ir pretty much instantly. It's really, really bad.
post #11810 of 12746 Old 02-25-2014, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I have some from the Viera Menu and also the ESPN logo on my ST60 but it is very hard to see unless I am very close to the screen.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #11811 of 12746 Old 02-25-2014, 05:13 AM

noob here just bought the TCP50ST60 brand new on sale for 997.99 after doing some reading on this forum I'm wondering if i made a big mistake IR , buzzing noise, burn in for 150 hrs....anything else i should know? how reliable is this tv i only got the 1 year warranty

I mostly watch blu ray movies and dvds some tv (never any video gaming ) of course some movies do have the black bars on top and bottom of screen will this eventually cause IR?

can i burn in the tv properly by playing my random full screen wallpaper pictures off of a USB or it has to be the red, white,blue slides?

i like to have the brightness set to full high even at night will this cause any problems?

thanks in advance

did some more research

"Picture quality - in terms of clarity - was pretty good. Color was a nightmare to calibrate. Expect to shell out money for professional calibration. In my experience with the ST60, to get anywhere close to accurately reproducing color you'll need to be in a pitch black room. In our living room this TV was never bright enough even at night. We don't have that many windows in our living room but daytime sports watching was out of the question. Sure, you could get it bright and vivid, but as soon as night fell you'd have to redo it all.

(If I was reading this review, at this point I would assume that this person is an idiot and doesn't know how to properly calibrate a TV.)

I dunno if it's a plasma thing but it also had a crazy weird dithering effect even when all "special effects" were turned off. The constant battle with picture quality is why I returned this TV. Judging by the many glowing professional reviews, I may have had a defective one. Of course I have since learned that there are a lot of loyalists to the Panasonic brand and plasma tvs in general, so take every opinion on the internet with a grain of salt."

"The TV has a very good picture, can't argue with that but my has IR that won't leave.
I bought it from a local BestBuy about 4 month ago.
I've watched a mix of 4:3 and 16:9, tv never stayed on for very long period of time. I consider watching 4 hours of 4:3 a normal viewing session that should not cause any issue.
"

"In January '14, I started to notice the ESPN logo and then I started noticing everything. HUDs and numbers from games. So I tried to run the screen wipe. Didn't really work well. I bought the Disney WOW blu-ray for the pixel flipper. That works decent but still the logos and images never completely go away. Now I am always watchin ESPN zoomed all the way in so there is no logo!"

countless other people complaining

superior picture quality at a low price well you know what they say if it's too good to be true then it most likely is....the tv hasnt even arrived yet and i'm already thinking about returning it to spare myself headaches down the road
post #11812 of 12746 Old 02-25-2014, 06:19 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace54 View Post

noob here just bought the TCP50ST60 brand new on sale for 997.99 after doing some reading on this forum I'm wondering if i made a big mistake IR , buzzing noise, burn in for 150 hrs....anything else i should know? how reliable is this tv i only got the 1 year warranty

I mostly watch blu ray movies and dvds some tv (never any video gaming ) of course some movies do have the black bars on top and bottom of screen will this eventually cause IR?

can i burn in the tv properly by playing my random full screen wallpaper pictures off of a USB or it has to be the red, white,blue slides?

i like to have the brightness set to full high even at night will this cause any problems?

thanks in advance

"Burn in for 150hrs" - Technically I believe you are talking about aging the phosphors for 100 hours (very different that burn in).  That is recommend for a plasma, before calibrating.  Watching one move with letterbox or pillar bars won't ruin it, though Panasonic does recommend full screen content for the first 100hrs so the pixels/phosphors age evenly.  You can break in the TV however you'd like, vary the content and zoom in if it makes your nervous.  I ran the Planet Earth blu-ray for a majority of the time.

IR means Image Retention.  Think TV logos, stock tickers, video game HUDS, scoreboards.  Anything that remains static on the screen for a long time.  With black bars, there is no image to retain (I believe).

Brightness is actually a level of blackness, and contrast controls your whites.  If you want a bright screen try Vivid mode (though it's probably not the best for the TV, and you probably won't like it).

The TV isn't hard to calibrate.  Most people on here are avid fans and know the picture can be amazing, hence we want the most out of it.  I recently calibrated mine, and the setting came pretty darn close to exactly what Cinema mode was. I would imagine a pro could tweak mine further, I just don't have the dough.

It's a great TV, especially for all of the high def content you're watching.  It's gotten crazy high marks by all the reviewers and since they are no longer being produced, are vary hard to find because enthusiasts are snatching them up, because they know how good of a screen it is.

Just enjoy the darn thing, and don't believe everything you read (especially in internet forums).  

post #11813 of 12746 Old 02-25-2014, 06:54 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:

superior picture quality at a low price well you know what they say if it's too good to be true then it most likely is....the tv hasnt even arrived yet and i'm already thinking about returning it to spare myself headaches down the road

You somehow manage to locate a NIB set that is damn near impossible to find now, it hasn't even reached your house and you are thinking of returning it because of "countless other people complaining"??? eek.gif

You must be focusing on the few one star reviews while ignoring the many, many happy owners of this tv. You haven't even tried this set out in your home environment and you are ready to dismiss it as basically a fraud. And since when is a thousand bucks a "low price"? It certainly isn't "cheap" for many people.

An "Analog Kid" in a digital world
post #11814 of 12746 Old 02-25-2014, 07:11 AM

+1 for happy owners with zero issues whatsoever. My 60ST60 is so much better than the Sharp LED I replaced after 5 days. I just checked and I'm at 630 hours, have never seen a hint of IR, and the picture looks absolutely perfect. Things I did:
Ran the colored slides overnight for the first 100 hours, and non-logo zoomed-in hd TV for the daytime hours for the first 100 hrs. If I watch SD content, I change the screen format to h-fill or zoom so that there are no letterbox potential issues. Watched a lot of Blu ray and netflix 3D. Only hear a faint buzz if I'm on mute and bright white screen comes on, which is rare.
I don't notice any "banding" or lack of uniformity, in fact the uniformity is perfect and that is the entire reason I returned the Sharp and got this plasma. Hoping the set stays this perfect for the next 5+ years.

Panasonic 60ST60, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Polk RTiA9, PS3 Slim
post #11815 of 12746 Old 02-25-2014, 07:37 AM

as long as the PQ is alot better then my current tv which is a LCD Sony KDL 46V4100 year 2008 its hard to imagine the PQ any better because this tv is already like looking through a window

Another thing I'm worried about is the brightness. I read this plasma is no where near LCD/LED brightness I do not want to be watching a TV that looks like its got window tint on the screen which is why I keep my LCD on full bright at all times gives me a more true lifelike picture

I don't mind if the difference in brightness with both TVs being on full bright is a off by a bit but if its really dim compared to a LCD then that's a real deal breaker for me.

I don't even like to wear sunglasses on a sunny day
post #11816 of 12746 Old 02-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasdag View Post

+1 for happy owners with zero issues whatsoever. My 60ST60 is so much better than the Sharp LED I replaced after 5 days. I just checked and I'm at 630 hours, have never seen a hint of IR, and the picture looks absolutely perfect. Things I did:
Ran the colored slides overnight for the first 100 hours, and non-logo zoomed-in hd TV for the daytime hours for the first 100 hrs. If I watch SD content, I change the screen format to h-fill or zoom so that there are no letterbox potential issues. Watched a lot of Blu ray and netflix 3D. Only hear a faint buzz if I'm on mute and bright white screen comes on, which is rare.
I don't notice any "banding" or lack of uniformity, in fact the uniformity is perfect and that is the entire reason I returned the Sharp and got this plasma. Hoping the set stays this perfect for the next 5+ years.

What sharp did you have?
post #11817 of 12746 Old 02-25-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:

What sharp did you have?
Sharp LC-60LE650

Panasonic 60ST60, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Polk RTiA9, PS3 Slim
post #11818 of 12746 Old 02-25-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

as long as the PQ is alot better then my current tv which is a LCD Sony KDL 46V4100 year 2008 its hard to imagine the PQ any better because this tv is already like looking through a window

Another thing I'm worried about is the brightness. I read this plasma is no where near LCD/LED brightness I do not want to be watching a TV that looks like its got window tint on the screen which is why I keep my LCD on full bright at all times gives me a more true lifelike picture

I don't mind if the difference in brightness with both TVs being on full bright is a off by a bit but if its really dim compared to a LCD then that's a real deal breaker for me.

I don't even like to wear sunglasses on a sunny day

If eye searing brightness is your goal why did you buy a plasma ? If you are expecting LCD brightness you are in for a disappointment, the ST holds up well in a moderately lit room, get beyond that you are going to see some issues.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #11819 of 12746 Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

If eye searing brightness is your goal why did you buy a plasma ? If you are expecting LCD brightness you are in for a disappointment, the ST holds up well in a moderately lit room, get beyond that you are going to see some issues.

I bought it for PQ. I'm not expecting it to look as bright as an LCD/LED. Eye searing brightness is not my goal. I just don't want to it look dim I want a true to life bright picture

so the black top/bottom bar on some movies will not be an issue after 100 hrs of ageing the phosphors?
post #11820 of 12746 Old 02-25-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bought it for PQ. I'm not expecting it to look as bright as an LCD/LED. Eye searing brightness is not my goal. I just don't want to it look dim I want a true to life bright picture

so the black top/bottom bar on some movies will not be an issue after 100 hrs of ageing the phosphors?

This part of your post is what I was referring to: "which is why I keep my LCD on full bright at all times gives me a more true lifelike picture". You can watch movies right from the start just mix up the content.
ace54 likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page