Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 397 - AVS Forum
First ... 395  396  397 398  399  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread
Tyler Tian's Avatar Tyler Tian 08:02 PM 02-27-2014

I need some help.

It is a open box item. the item page they cleverly deleted only stated that the only damage was on the cupboard box. Any logical person would think this is the most serious damage we could expect ,so it should not be any damage on the tv itself.  Suprisingly, the unshaped metal bezel could lead to possible panel damage and tearing off of plastic bezel, not to mention the scratches on the screen. 

here is what she said:
"Good Afternoon,

According to our records you purchased our Open Box unit of the TCP50ST60. These products come “as is” which is why they are displayed on our website as an Open Box item which is not brand new. It was tested by our warehouse since it was a service return due to slight cosmetic damage.

If the television does not suite your needs then you may definitely send it back to us here in BC for a refund. Since we filled the order correctly by shipping our Open Box item that was on your customer invoice then the customer bears the cost of shipping for the television to come back to us. You may use any courier company, but we tend to use Purolator for large TV’s. The shipping charge will be quite costly, therefore I suggest to contact a few courier companies to get the best price available."

Any suggestion on what action should I take next?

The worst situation I would consider is I got to keep this piece of crap. Will the damage on this tv lead to any serious issue such as tore off bezel or failure? BTW, the picture quality is perfect at this point and i love it

AMartin56's Avatar AMartin56 08:33 PM 02-27-2014
Seems a bit expensive for that amount of damage.

Did you buy it on a credit card? Open box shouldn't immediately mean 'bezel chewed off'. A lot of banks offer purchase protection in cases like this.
Tyler Tian's Avatar Tyler Tian 08:44 PM 02-27-2014

yes, I bought it on a credit card.

I was surprised too. According to the subscription, the tv itself should be perfect. And with the amount of money it was sold for, it seemed plausible.

As I checked a few minutes ago, the top right corner is  ".bezel chewed off" too, but less obviously. It feels like a 500-pounds fat guy once sit on the top of right side of package to cause that kind of damage. 

AMartin56's Avatar AMartin56 08:47 PM 02-27-2014
Call your bank. See if a chargeback is possible. If it is call Visions to see if they will make it right if you threaten that.
Tyler Tian's Avatar Tyler Tian 08:51 PM 02-27-2014

Thank you, I will try that tomorrow.  Or I should probably make contact with another CSA first. Sometimes It works.

htwaits's Avatar htwaits 10:55 PM 02-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by amindu View Post

Is there a benefit to getting the ST60 calibrated? I used the WOW disc, but now wondering if a professional calibration can do better or not?
You can read about what owners who have had their plasma flat panels calibrated by using the link in the signature area at the bottom of my post. Flat panel links are in post number two. smile.gif
cylejuan's Avatar cylejuan 08:33 AM 02-28-2014

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Stands from other models won't work based on the part number comparisons i've made. The stand is comprised of 3 parts and isn't available as a unit, the parts must be bought separately if you buy new from Panasonic's parts dept or from Sears or other parts sources. And if you buy new, some parts are the same for all sizes while others are more size-specific so don't just assume that the parts for a 60" TV will fit a 50" TV.

There have been some listings on EBay for used stands which are complete though.

I posted some stand info about a month ago in this thread if you want to search back. I think i was also talking about the proper remote in that post (responding to a guy who bought a floor model with no remote and no stand).

I checked your earlier post, and called the Panasonic Parts line, but they were confused and didn't know what they were doing. I was transferred back and forth, and couldn't get help from anyone. I'll going to Best Buy tonight, so I'll just buy my TV, call back in a few days, and use the 15 day return policy if I can't find a stand at all.

There's a man on Ebay who's selling a stand for the 50" S60, and he said that he checked throughly and both TV's use the same stand. I'll definitely buy it if he's telling the truth. What do you think?

Thanks!

Syradil's Avatar Syradil 09:12 AM 02-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylejuan View Post

I checked your earlier post, and called the Panasonic Parts line, but they were confused and didn't know what they were doing. I was transferred back and forth, and couldn't get help from anyone. I'll going to Best Buy tonight, so I'll just buy my TV, call back in a few days, and use the 15 day return policy if I can't find a stand at all.

There's a man on Ebay who's selling a stand for the 50" S60, and he said that he checked throughly and both TV's use the same stand. I'll definitely buy it if he's telling the truth. What do you think?
Thanks!

I've had both flow through my house at one point. I know they're very similar. I can't say for sure they're exactly the same. I'd say worst case it doesn't work and you have to get some other kind of VESA compliant base/media stand thing.
cylejuan's Avatar cylejuan 10:55 AM 02-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syradil View Post

I've had both flow through my house at one point. I know they're very similar. I can't say for sure they're exactly the same. I'd say worst case it doesn't work and you have to get some other kind of VESA compliant base/media stand thing.

Sorry, but what's a "VESA compliant base/media stand thing"? Is this thing a universal sort of stand? What should I look up? Thanks!

Syradil's Avatar Syradil 11:05 AM 02-28-2014
Quote:

Sorry, but what's a "VESA compliant base/media stand thing"? Is this thing a universal sort of stand? What should I look up? Thanks!

VESA is the compliance standard for the arrangement of the holes on the back of the panel, typically used for wall mounts. I know you can't wall mount it, but there are other VESA stands like this

http://www.amazon.com/ShopJimmy-Universal-Stand-Base-Mount/dp/B009SD010O/ref=sr_1_52?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1393610232&sr=1-52

I'm not sure what mount exactly would work for the ST60. But theres something out there I'm sure.
rushfan2112's Avatar rushfan2112 11:16 AM 02-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syradil View Post

VESA is the compliance standard for the arrangement of the holes on the back of the panel, typically used for wall mounts. I know you can't wall mount it, but there are other VESA stands like this

http://www.amazon.com/ShopJimmy-Universal-Stand-Base-Mount/dp/B009SD010O/ref=sr_1_52?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1393610232&sr=1-52

I'm not sure what mount exactly would work for the ST60. But theres something out there I'm sure.

That does look like a viable alternative when wall mount is not an option and the stand is missing. I'm sure that will help someone here on the forum
jimreeves's Avatar jimreeves 11:16 AM 02-28-2014
Quote:

Sears parts has this stuff listed:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Panasonic-Parts/Television-Parts/Model-TCP55ST60/0789/0333500/50042413/00001?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=TC-P55ST60

Seems a bit steep though.
Maybe post your needs in the classifieds?
atlsutiger's Avatar atlsutiger 11:41 AM 02-28-2014
Well I was refunded my deposit to hold the tv and was told that the tv was already on hold for someone else before me. No ST60 for me.
samijubal's Avatar samijubal 12:38 PM 02-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimreeves View Post

Sears parts has this stuff listed:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Panasonic-Parts/Television-Parts/Model-TCP55ST60/0789/0333500/50042413/00001?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=TC-P55ST60

Seems a bit steep though.
Maybe post your needs in the classifieds?

$175 for all three parts if I'm seeing right, I don't know they list the neck as a different number in the photo and list.

I'd definitely sell my extra stand for that.
grover517's Avatar grover517 04:16 PM 02-28-2014
I bought a 60ST60 display model a few weeks back from BB and insisted that they made sure that all of the accessories were there or no deal. They found the remote, the glasses were missing (so they discounted the set even more for the cost of the missing glasses), and the stand was missing one of the 3 pieces along with no screws.

The piece that was missing was the piece that the panel actually attaches to. I could live without the glasses, but the stand was critical. They ordered me one thru the Best Buy Parts Store and although it was a special order, it came in about 12 days. They just charged it to the store and let me know when it came in. Believe it or not the prices at the parts store were MUCH less than Sears parts, at least for this piece, plus I paid no shipping.
AMartin56's Avatar AMartin56 07:58 PM 02-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlsutiger View Post

Well I was refunded my deposit to hold the tv and was told that the tv was already on hold for someone else before me. No ST60 for me.

Try this website. Make sure your location is entered properly.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?id=pcat17096&type=page&ld=33.74831008911133&lg=-84.39111328125&rd=100&usc=abcat0101000&nrp=15&fp=skuProductBrandNames%3APanasonic&sp=rating
RandyWalters's Avatar RandyWalters 08:03 PM 02-28-2014
Quote:

I checked your earlier post, and called the Panasonic Parts line, but they were confused and didn't know what they were doing. I was ]transferred back and forth, and couldn't get help from anyone. I'll going to Best Buy tonight, so I'll just buy my TV, call back in a few days, and use the 15 day return policy if I can't find a stand at all.

Thanks!

I checked the Sears Parts website and Panasonic Parts site for both the 50ST60 and 50S60 and it looks like the EBay guy is correct - the parts numbers are the same for both models. I must not have compared these two specific TV model numbers before .

Pedestal (the Flat Bracket Plate w/screws) TXFBL5Z0118
Stand neck TXFBL5Z0122 (Substitution: TXFBL5Z0122H)
Pedestal base TBL5ZX05091 (Substitution: TBL5ZX05091H)

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Panasonic-Parts/Television-Parts/Model-TCP50ST60/0789/0333500/50042412/00001?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=TC-P50ST60

http://www.pstc.panasonic.com/Epartr/PartsListChoice.asp?validate=1

Here's another universal pedestal base that uses the TV's wall mounting holes:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DZVPFGU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=EN89PQX99D5P&coliid=I1I3OZEXEJ6FAQ
RandyWalters's Avatar RandyWalters 10:15 PM 02-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

$175 for all three parts if I'm seeing right, I don't know they list the neck as a different number in the photo and list.

Jim linked the parts list for the 55" ST60, but cylejuan is looking at the 50" ST60 and some of the stand parts are different between the two sizes.
ace54's Avatar ace54 01:12 PM 03-01-2014
where can I upload 3D firmwire update for TCP50ST60 how do I apply the upload to the TV?

is there any 3D player that is best for around $100.00/$200.00 or are they all pretty much the same like blu ray players?

are the pair of glasses that come with the TV any good?

thanks
ace54's Avatar ace54 02:06 PM 03-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimreeves View Post

Be sure to take it out of "vivid" picture mode and put it in custom or cinema, keep contrast at 70 or below and use zoom to fill the screen with letterboxed movies. Set the gain at 2.4 if it isn't already.
I have Wow and DVE HD and prefer DVE for settings, but I was used to the DVD version from years back. The Wow pixel flipper is a nice feature if you have IR issues later on. I wasn't too happy with the D-Nice or CNET settings so I tweaked my own. YMMV.

by gain you mean gamma in pro settings?

is it okay to leave the panel brightness on high?

the settings i have now

picture mode custom

Contrast 70

brightness 0

color 50

tint 0

shrapness 50

color temp warm2

vivid color on

cats off

video NR low

mprg nr off

montion smoother mid

pro settings panel brightness high

gamma deatail 2.4

the rest is default

i'm not running slides i;m just watching full screen blu ray movies are the settings okay for the first 100 hrs?

are you sure contrast should be 70 or below because if i were following D nice settings the contrast would be 100% for the first 100hrs

I want the panel brightness on high and contrast at 100 because the room is on the bright side and my previous tv was LCD so i'm used to a brighter picture
RandyWalters's Avatar RandyWalters 02:46 PM 03-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace54 View Post

where can I upload 3D firmwire update for TCP50ST60 how do I apply the upload to the TV?

Is there a 3D-specific update? Usually updates just pertain to the TV's apps. If your TV is not connected to the "internet", then you can download the current firmware here:

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/tc-p50sT60?t=downloads&support&cm_mmc=AffiliateDefault-_-Ecommerce-_-Default-_-Default

Funny, the firware on my 55ST60 is currently 2.727 and reports that it's the current version, but the downloadable version on their website is 2.70

Quote:
are the pair of glasses that come with the TV any good?

Yes. Or so i've heard biggrin.gif
ace54's Avatar ace54 02:56 PM 03-01-2014
cheers to all the ST60 owners

running HD slides and watching movies for the first 100hrs
jimreeves's Avatar jimreeves 06:59 AM 03-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace54 View Post

by gain you mean gamma in pro settings?

is it okay to leave the panel brightness on high?

i'm not running slides i;m just watching full screen blu ray movies are the settings okay for the first 100 hrs?

are you sure contrast should be 70 or below because if i were following D nice settings the contrast would be 100% for the first 100hrs

I want the panel brightness on high and contrast at 100 because the room is on the bright side and my previous tv was LCD so i'm used to a brighter picture

Yeah, I meant gamma, not gain.
D-Nice suggests 100% contrast for the slides to age all pixels evenly, not for regular viewing.
If high panel brightness doesn't wash out the blacks I guess its okay, but may be why you prefer 100% contrast.

Quote:

Jim linked the parts list for the 55" ST60, but cylejuan is looking at the 50" ST60 and some of the stand parts are different between the two sizes.

My mistake, I thought he had a 55.
Quote:

Here's another universal pedestal base that uses the TV's wall mounting holes:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DZVPFGU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=EN89PQX99D5P&coliid=I1I3OZEXEJ6FAQ

Look carefully at the mounting hole locations for this stand and the ShopJimmy stand, I was considering these for my TH-50PX75U until I realized they aren't wide enough to attach to the mounting holes on my set.
Digitude's Avatar Digitude 08:41 AM 03-02-2014
I've had my 55ST60 now for several months and have noticed something odd. When I watch streaming media via Netflix Super HD the picture is spectacular. Its almost as if I am in the studio behind the camera. I assume this is all 1080p content, much of which are TV series and not movies. Watching Blu Ray discs however, do not seem to attain the same clarity. To be sure, the Blu Ray content is absolutely stellar but just doesn't compare. My DVD player is HDMI switched through a HT receiver but otherwise everything else is the same. Both inputs use the CNET settings. Do Blu Rays lose something in production or are they converted from film or what? Anyone else notice this or have any theories? Am I imagining things?
Marc_G's Avatar Marc_G 09:20 AM 03-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

I've had my 55ST60 now for several months and have noticed something odd. When I watch streaming media via Netflix Super HD the picture is spectacular. Its almost as if I am in the studio behind the camera. I assume this is all 1080p content, much of which are TV series and not movies. Watching Blu Ray discs however, do not seem to attain the same clarity. To be sure, the Blu Ray content is absolutely stellar but just doesn't compare. My DVD player is HDMI switched through a HT receiver but otherwise everything else is the same. Both inputs use the CNET settings. Do Blu Rays lose something in production or are they converted from film or what? Anyone else notice this or have any theories? Am I imagining things?

This is an unusual observation, but I don't think you are imagining things.

It's unusual because even Netflix's "SuperHD" undergoes much more compression than a typical bluray disc. Hence, with Netflix (over a plenty-fast cable modem connection), some degree of posterization in gradient scenes (like dusk night skies), occasional blocking in fast motion scenes, etc.. I rarely see these on decently mastered bluray content. However, not all bluray content is created equal. For example, my Big Bang Theory discs always look a little blurry to me me, which I attribute to perhaps a higher degree of compression on those than usual. Not surprising, since they pack I think more than 4 hours of viewing per bluray disc.

If your bluray player output consistently looks worse than Netflix, and you've got a big enough sampling of content to make you feel strongly about it, then something is likely wrong. If you were using an HTPC to play bluray rips, I could suggest several things to investigate. I'm less familiar with bluray player settings since I am strictly HTPC... but it could be that some additional processing options somewhere in player or receiver are impacting your picture.

Have you tried playing some sharpness test patterns? For example, what you see on a single pixel grid output can be very revealing!

Marc
Latinoheat's Avatar Latinoheat 09:26 AM 03-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

Blu-ray Discs will always be superior to streaming as they are not compressed, how many Bluray movies have you watched? Have you noticed it in every single one? Not all Bluray movies are created equal, make sure you watch a reference one, Avatar, Skyfall, The great Gatsby, Prometheus are all excellent transfers. Make sure your player is set to output 1080p as well.
Davenlr's Avatar Davenlr 10:25 AM 03-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Blu-ray Discs will always be superior to streaming as they are not compressed,

I believe BluRays are compressed.

From the BluRay Wiki:
Quote:
The choice of formats affects the producer's licensing/royalty costs as well as the title's maximum run time, due to differences in compression efficiency. Discs encoded in MPEG-2 video typically limit content producers to around two hours of high-definition content on a single-layer (25 GB) BD-ROM. The more-advanced video formats (VC-1 and MPEG-4 AVC) typically achieve a video run time twice that of MPEG-2, with comparable quality.

Marc_G's Avatar Marc_G 10:34 AM 03-02-2014
Blurays are compressed, but streaming is generally more compressed...
Latinoheat's Avatar Latinoheat 10:38 AM 03-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenlr View Post

I believe BluRays are compressed.

From the BluRay Wiki:

Fair enough, but comparing them to streaming would you not agree that discs are superior? Although not all are created equal. That was my point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

Blurays are compressed, but streaming is generally more compressed...

Exactly.
mtrot's Avatar mtrot 11:19 AM 03-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

No calibration is not about only calibrating to a dark/home theater environment. There is enough dynamic range availible for a pretty bright day mode, in excess of 50 ftl which will hold up pretty well except in direct sunlight. I have had half a dozen professional calibrations over the years and not once did I consider the picture too dark. Chad has done all of my calibrations and none of them could be considered dim. I do concede the ABL limitations but in typical content the contrast ratio stays steady and is quite impressive.

I think your set would benefit greatly from a calibration

I'm certainly not going to question your measurements, but just to yet again confirm my observations of these newer Panny plasmas compared to those of several years ago, yesterday and today I played around with my parents' Panny TC-54S2, which was manufactured in 2010. Just as with my 42" Panny plasma from several years ago, the TC-54S2 goes much, much brighter than my 60ST60. It also seems to have little, if any ABL, as demonstrated by several scenes in which the screen was mostly white and did not dim like my 60ST60. The sharpness and colors are also great. Also, I see no evidence of any image retention or burn in, despite my mother's insistence on running it in Game mode and max contrast for all these years.

Perhaps it has something to do with the line voltage at their house, which I believe is about 126 volts. It does seem to me that even light bulbs burn brighter in their house than mine, but I would think that TVs would have some sort of regulator to compensate for such things, within a range of voltage.

I tell you, I would trade my 60ST60 for that TC-54S2 any day. Yes I know the ST60 has better blacks, but that is not as important to me as whites and minimal ABL.
Tags: Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
First ... 395  396  397 398  399  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop