post #11971 of 12746 Old 03-03-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizimes View Post

I have had no issues with my ST60. No blobs, no buzz, no IR. I did not run slides, nor did I baby it. I started from the get go watching TV with logos (NFL Sundays, History Channel, news channels, etc...), I also played games with static HUDs for extended periods of time. I have never thought it wasn't bright enough, and I'm in a pretty bright room during the day. The only thing I can say is that I occasionally notice a bit of line bleed on solid screens. Only when I concentrate on a single area of the screen though (I also sit pretty close to my 60"). The picture is beautiful and blu-rays and games on my 360 look amazing. I also have a Darbee in my chain.

IMO, and take it for what it's worth, it seems that for every person who has a problem with one of their panels, there are many more who do not.

I have had 4 or 5 plasmas since 2001. (First one, a 42" Panny for $5K that had to be mail ordered). Never babied them except didn't watch a 4:3 pic on the 16:9 screen the first few weeks. Never did a calibration on any. Can't recall model number of the 5 y.o. Panny (50") in our other home, but the pic seems almost as good if not equal. The panel sure isn't ugly just hanging on the wall like this ST model. [Bought it in a hurry when wife was out of town when 7 y.o.50" Panny died. Got it because of the reviews.] The old panels were/are VERY heavy and seem more than twice as thick. Never had color issues or IR on any of them. Of course up until 4 or 5 years ago, LCD panels were totally unwatchable. We have a couple in bedrooms.
People almost never post on the net to praise - only to complain. If you go to company sponsored forums, you would think all products or services are defective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11972 of 12746 Old 03-03-2014, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

To be fair, the sky does have a slight red tint to it in that Wolverine scene. The "blue" in the middle is typically RGB(196, 180, 183), while the clouds in the upper left are RGB(194, 169, 170). I don't see any blobs, but I do think it appears a tad redder than my calibrated LCD right beside it. It's interesting to slowly drag a window containing a screenshot of that scene onto my 50ST60 or resize it there. The TV is set up to have a solid black background over its entire area, and the excessive red tint will suddenly appear and disappear several times as the amount of the image that is displayed changes. It's the same sort of thing I described in this post, where I included the screenshot I used for testing:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1500002/issue-with-calibrating-panasonic-st60-and-skin-tones/90#post_24106475

It's not something I really notice in real material, and if I ever do see it, it's much less frequent and more subtle than rainbow effect (mitigated by blinking when I move my eyes) and line/area bleed, which I pretty routinely see in faces in shows like Law & Order SVU and Community, due to all the damn blinds they put behind the characters.

If you want to have some fun with artifacts, open a Paint window on your ST60, resize the image to 1920x1080, fill it with white, and draw a solid black rectangle across its entire middle, taking up about 1/3 the height of the image, so you have a full-width white bar at the top, a black bar in the middle, and a white bar at the bottom. (Zooming out makes it easier to edit.) Then full-screen the Paint window (F11). On my set, this brings out pink tint in the two white areas and IR as well, particularly the Viera Menu and "select/exit" wheel you mentioned, and also things like the ESPN logo. This stuff does fade over time (several hours worth), but 2000+ hours in, my set still acquires this IR pretty easily. It's rare for me to notice it in actual content, though, including animation like Family Guy, where one might expect to see it in the vast areas of solid color they use. I first noticed this in the AVS HD 709 APL Clipping pattern, and this is a good way to repro it. Then try making the black rectangle less than the full width of the image; this will bring out area bleed extending from its edge to the edge of the screen. I'm not going to call it "line bleed" when it's the full height of that rectangle, over 300 pixels tall.

Fortunately, despite all the flaws, the picture looks great with real content the vast majority of the time. When calibrating, you really need to avoid the conditions that cause that sudden color shift described earlier. 5% and more recently 2% windows have worked very well for me; the smaller, the better, IMO.

Well after reading this I figured I give my input. I have a 65vt60 that I have put a lot of time on the past four months when I got it. I had Chad B calibrate it at just under 300 hours and it had the pink boarder around the screen on a full white field. It was there before and after the calibration. Like my VT50 that I had last year,these VT60 go through roughly two major changes that I have noticed. First big change was at 700 hours +-. The second one started at 1500 and came out of it at 1700. I thought it was done changing at 1700 but I was wrong. It continued to change till now at 1950. Well up to this point I always had pink in blue sky and has always been there. From hours 1750 to 1900 the pink got really bad around the whole screen about eight inches in I thought well this is it,another bad panel. At just under 1900 hours the picture got brighter and what I see is no more pink. Full white back grounds are white,blue sky is blue and the dither is almost non existant. My whites are clean and the same color small or big. I read last year that a Pani insider said that these are not even broken in till 2000 hours and I think he may be right. Chad is sceduled to come back in about a month to do some more work for me. The screen looks absolutely amazing and can't wait to see what we find.
post #11973 of 12746 Old 03-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

To be fair, the sky does have a slight red tint to it in that Wolverine scene. The "blue" in the middle is typically RGB(196, 180, 183), while the clouds in the upper left are RGB(194, 169, 170). I don't see any blobs, but I do think it appears a tad redder than my calibrated LCD right beside it. It's interesting to slowly drag a window containing a screenshot of that scene onto my 50ST60 or resize it there. The TV is set up to have a solid black background over its entire area, and the excessive red tint will suddenly appear and disappear several times as the amount of the image that is displayed changes. It's the same sort of thing I described in this post, where I included the screenshot I used for testing:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1500002/issue-with-calibrating-panasonic-st60-and-skin-tones/90#post_24106475

Thanks for the post Sawfish. It was interesting. Along with lamenting the overall decline of the industry I enjoy learning aboout what makes these displays tick and the tests you describe are informative. I'll be sure to check out that Wolverine scene on another display. smile.gif
post #11974 of 12746 Old 03-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merccrazy View Post

Well after reading this I figured I give my input. I have a 65vt60 that I have put a lot of time on the past four months when I got it. I had Chad B calibrate it at just under 300 hours and it had the pink boarder around the screen on a full white field. It was there before and after the calibration. Like my VT50 that I had last year,these VT60 go through roughly two major changes that I have noticed. First big change was at 700 hours +-. The second one started at 1500 and came out of it at 1700. I thought it was done changing at 1700 but I was wrong. It continued to change till now at 1950. Well up to this point I always had pink in blue sky and has always been there. From hours 1750 to 1900 the pink got really bad around the whole screen about eight inches in I thought well this is it,another bad panel. At just under 1900 hours the picture got brighter and what I see is no more pink. Full white back grounds are white,blue sky is blue and the dither is almost non existant. My whites are clean and the same color small or big. I read last year that a Pani insider said that these are not even broken in till 2000 hours and I think he may be right. Chad is sceduled to come back in about a month to do some more work for me. The screen looks absolutely amazing and can't wait to see what we find.

Interesting but also scary. After owning a Sony SXRD I fear change. smile.gif Despite the size of the beast (the weight was never an issue...it was only about 90 lbs) I'd still have that set if it still had the picture it had when I took it out of the box. It was 1080p...had a pretty decent contrast ratio and seemed to handle motion pretty well (not that I was really into worrying about motion handling back then). But it was hard to keep the optics clean and of course the optical block took a dump within four years of ownership.

I don't really want a panel that ages like fine wine. At my age I prefer being married to dating a new woman every weekend. The first ST60 panel I owned had 2700 hours on it and the uniformity was worse than the one I have now. I'd like to believe it will settle in but I wonder if I'll see the opposite.

But I suppose it doesn't matter at this point. I got the last of the Mohicans unless the price of the 51F8500 suddenly drops in half (which I don't think it will) so I suppose I'll just live with it. After all we are just buying time for OLED to arrive or for LED sets to get their act together. There is SOME hope if full array is making a comeback...
post #11975 of 12746 Old 03-04-2014, 06:09 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

I have had 4 or 5 plasmas since 2001. (First one, a 42" Panny for $5K that had to be mail ordered). Never babied them except didn't watch a 4:3 pic on the 16:9 screen the first few weeks. Never did a calibration on any. Can't recall model number of the 5 y.o. Panny (50") in our other home, but the pic seems almost as good if not equal. The panel sure isn't ugly just hanging on the wall like this ST model. [Bought it in a hurry when wife was out of town when 7 y.o.50" Panny died. Got it because of the reviews.] The old panels were/are VERY heavy and seem more than twice as thick. Never had color issues or IR on any of them. Of course up until 4 or 5 years ago, LCD panels were totally unwatchable. We have a couple in bedrooms.
People almost never post on the net to praise - only to complain. If you go to company sponsored forums, you would think all products or services are defective.

This panel definitely isn't the best looking I've ever seen, and coming from my Sony XBR4 which was a fantastic looking set (the one with the glass border around the screen), but I actually used electrical tape to cover the silver bezel. It helps for sure.

post #11976 of 12746 Old 03-04-2014, 08:31 AM

Liked: 12
Noob to Panny Plasmas here.

By this time next week I should be real close to 150 hours of use

I have posted a few questions here and have received solid advice on "break in" and other items.
I've also picked up a few pointers here and there just by reading the posts.

I have had no issues with the 50" new in box ST60 that I can directly related to the tv itself.

Having no cable, no satellite, no blue ray player, no gaming console, my media is coming from my HTCP.

Once and a while I will get a file where the audio and picture are out of sync but that is a ME problem that I need to resolve.
I may have that resolved, by bouncing between this thread and the HTCP threads, without suffering decreased picture quality.

Thanks for the continued help, advice, do's and don'ts.
post #11977 of 12746 Old 03-04-2014, 11:32 AM

Liked: 10

I just picked this tv up the other day and i love it. Just 1 small issue. When i view content from my pc i have to change my settings to "cinema" to get my colors accurate which is fine but after 30 minutes the tv tells me "entering refresh mode" and then changes my video setting back to custom automatically which looks like crap when not using blu-ray or cable. You can imagine how annoying this is while watching a movie and having to keep reverting my settings 4 times. Any ways to fix this? I thought it was because of ECO mode but i have that off.

post #11978 of 12746 Old 03-04-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Schuster View Post

I just picked this tv up the other day and i love it. Just 1 small issue. When i view content from my pc i have to change my settings to "cinema" to get my colors accurate which is fine but after 30 minutes the tv tells me "entering refresh mode" and then changes my video setting back to custom automatically which looks like crap when not using blu-ray or cable. You can imagine how annoying this is while watching a movie and having to keep reverting my settings 4 times. Any ways to fix this? I thought it was because of ECO mode but i have that off.

As I stated I am exclusively using my HTCP for media and I haven't YET experienced "entering refresh mode".

I also am using Cinema with only the contrast being bumped up to 65.
Mostly I have been using 720p and 1080p files that are 16:9

I am using the HDMI #1 port.
post #11979 of 12746 Old 03-04-2014, 01:01 PM

does the wireless internet connection turn off once Ethernet cable is connected ?

is it ok to watch 3D full screen movies before the 100 hr break in period or is 3D considered static and should be avoided before 100 hr?
post #11980 of 12746 Old 03-04-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Used 60" ST60'S are actually being sold by "companies" on Amazon for $3000! Come on
post #11981 of 12746 Old 03-04-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Used 60" ST60'S are actually being sold by "companies" on Amazon for $3000! Come on

What's inside of them?
Were they "used" in Colombia?
post #11982 of 12746 Old 03-04-2014, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I'm another guy using my ST60 with an HTPC, also using Cinema mode, modified to suit my set and room conditions (and my visual preferences). Never seen "refresh mode" ... that's the first I've ever heard of it. Could your set be a demo model that perhaps got set into some weird mode? Maybe if you do a factory reset it will snap out of it?

For what it's worth, I can get Custom mode to look just as good as Cinema... there's something subtly different but it's not "worse," just different.

On my TV, I've turned on Pixel Direct, turned off the Pixel Orbiter, and output from the PC a standard 1080p60 signal. Could refresh mode have something to do with your "refresh rate" from the HTPC somehow confusing the TV, and it turns to Custom to match up with it? I'm grasping at straws here.

If nobody here knows the answer, a call to Panasonic support might be in order.

EDIT: I did a quick Google search on this refresh mode and it seems you are in shop or demo mode. Every thirty minutes it resets to undo settings mess-ups from folks playing with it at the store. I'm not certain how to exit it on this particular model of Panny plasma but do an extensive google search and you will come up with it. I did a few quick searches and found one thread mentioning it, though I'm not sure the solution is there:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471221/panasonic-s60-and-st60-jumping-settings

But, your issue is almost certainly the demo/shop mode and finding the answer to getting out of it will cure you right up.

Enjoy the TV!

Marc
Will Schuster likes this.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #11983 of 12746 Old 03-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Oh! Try this:

How do I remove the Picture Refresh Mode from this unit?

1. Press and hold the [Vol-] button on the side of the TV.
2. Press the [CH] up button on the remote 3 times (while holding the [Vol-] button on the TV).
3. Press the Right arrow to change the "Picture refresh" setting to "Off".
4. Press the [Exit] button to exit the menu.

http://eng-na.faq.panasonic.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12638/~/how-do-i-remove-the-picture-refresh-mode-from-this-unit%3F
Will Schuster likes this.

post #11984 of 12746 Old 03-05-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

Oh! Try this:

2. Press the [CH] up button on the remote 3 times (while holding the [Vol-] button on the TV).

http://eng-na.faq.panasonic.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12638/~/how-do-i-remove-the-picture-refresh-mode-from-this-unit%3F

I LOVE YOU! Thank you so much. I tried resetting to factory settings and it still did the same thing. Apperently when you first plug it in it's suppsed to give you an option of home or demo mode but i never got the option. This did the trick.

post #11985 of 12746 Old 03-05-2014, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I LOVE YOU! Thank you so much. I tried resetting to factory settings and it still did the same thing. Apperently when you first plug it in it's suppsed to give you an option of home or demo mode but i never got the option. This did the trick.

Glad I could help. I've gotten so much help on this thread, it's a pleasure to be able to give back for once. Enjoy the set. It's awesome.

It took me a little while to optimize things for my HTPC, but I got it all worked out. Let me know if you have any questions.

Marc

post #11986 of 12746 Old 03-05-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

What's the general concensus for best 3D refresh rate 96, 100 or 120?

Also I have been using Sound and Vision settings lately and like them but they recommend Nonstandard for Hdmi range. I thought typically Standard was the proper setting?
post #11987 of 12746 Old 03-05-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:

Glad I could help. I've gotten so much help on this thread, it's a pleasure to be able to give back for once. Enjoy the set. It's awesome.

It took me a little while to optimize things for my HTPC, but I got it all worked out. Let me know if you have any questions.

Marc

Now I remember, duh.

The 1st thing the TV did when I fired it off for the 1st time was ask me, something to the effect, if I wanted demo or end user, don't quote me on the exact wording.
But being new out of the box and being 1st time fired up the choice was obvious.

Now I am glad I didn't get the open box one from BB.
This would have drove me nuts trying to figure it out.
post #11988 of 12746 Old 03-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

What's the general concensus for best 3D refresh rate 96, 100 or 120?

Also I have been using Sound and Vision settings lately and like them but they recommend Nonstandard for Hdmi range. I thought typically Standard was the proper setting?
Asked the same a while back & didn't get any hits. I would think the higher the better, as long as motion doesn't become artificial looking (well moreso than it already is, this is 3D were talking about). Why they calibrated the set in a non-standard format baffles me. Doesn't make sense. I tried calibrating 3D, but when I would adjust the RGB value to set my WB, it would go in the opposite direction ( Calman reading) I asked around about the issue & no response on that either. I just stopped asking...
post #11989 of 12746 Old 03-06-2014, 04:13 AM

Quote:

Oh! Try this:

Curious, my set (65ST60) doesn't do anything when I try this. Mine also seems to be in store demo mode. At the top of the menu>setup is "shop settings". If I select that my choices are "demo settings" and "picture refresh settings" (I've turned both off).

I have no "first time setup" selection in menu>setup.

Anyone else have this?

My system 2013-14

Panasonic TC-P65ST60, TH-50PX75U, Pioneer VSX-33, BDP-150, Fios, Yamaha RXV2500-P2200x2, Infinity QLS, M&K V-75x2
post #11990 of 12746 Old 03-06-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Asked the same a while back & didn't get any hits. I would think the higher the better, as long as motion doesn't become artificial looking (well moreso than it already is, this is 3D were talking about). Why they calibrated the set in a non-standard format baffles me. Doesn't make sense. I tried calibrating 3D, but when I would adjust the RGB value to set my WB, it would go in the opposite direction ( Calman reading) I asked around about the issue & no response on that either. I just stopped asking...

S & V settings use 120hz for 3D.

Yeah it's strange but if I switch back and forth between standard and Nonstandard with their cal settings it doesn't seem to affect the picture at all anyways...?
post #11991 of 12746 Old 03-06-2014, 07:06 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeraburn View Post

Now I remember, duh. The 1st thing the TV did when I fired it off for the 1st time was ask me, something to the effect, if I wanted demo or end user, don't quote me on the exact wording.
But being new out of the box and being 1st time fired up the choice was obvious. Now I am glad I didn't get the open box one from BB. This would have drove me nuts trying to figure it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimreeves View Post

Curious, my set (65ST60) doesn't do anything when I try this. Mine also seems to be in store demo mode. At the top of the menu>setup is "shop settings". If I select that my choices are "demo settings" and "picture refresh settings" (I've turned both off). I have no "first time setup" selection in menu>setup. Anyone else have this?

It's not in the regular settings menu. To bring up the menu that changes the TV from Store Demonstration mode to Home Use mode, just hold down the power button on the right hand side of the TV for for like 10 seconds, or unplug the power cord from the TV or from the wall for 30 seconds then plug it back in. I once had an extended power failure and when the electricity came back on, the Store/Home menu came up and i had to select Home.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #11992 of 12746 Old 03-06-2014, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah. I just had to unplug mine to be prompted with the menu again. It seems like once you set it you don't have to do it again though. I've unplugged it plenty of times since then and it has never come up again. I guess they figure it will never go back on display after being sold.
post #11993 of 12746 Old 03-06-2014, 08:04 AM

I assume that I'll lose all my settings when I do this, so I'll try it after writing them all down.

Mine was a former store display.

Seems odd that this didn't come up on screen when I first hooked it up. It was disconnected for almost a full day when I got it home.

My system 2013-14

Panasonic TC-P65ST60, TH-50PX75U, Pioneer VSX-33, BDP-150, Fios, Yamaha RXV2500-P2200x2, Infinity QLS, M&K V-75x2
post #11994 of 12746 Old 03-06-2014, 12:41 PM

Liked: 11
My st60 60" has always seemed dim to me, blacks are too dark, no detail.., yes, all the eco and auto dimmer is off, my friend has a st30 and his TV seem noticeably brighter, starting to wonder if it's a problem with the TV or if these set just don't put out that much brightness
post #11995 of 12746 Old 03-06-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy71 View Post

My st60 60" has always seemed dim to me, blacks are too dark, no detail.., yes, all the eco and auto dimmer is off, my friend has a st30 and his TV seem noticeably brighter, starting to wonder if it's a problem with the TV or if these set just don't put out that much brightness

Try changing the gamma in pro settings, I had to go to 2.2 with my cable box to get the picture to pop.

My system 2013-14

post #11996 of 12746 Old 03-06-2014, 01:12 PM

thanks Jim, does help a bit, I'll have to watch a few movies before I know for sure.
post #11997 of 12746 Old 03-06-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy71 View Post

what picture mode are you using? When I first got my 60ST60 I noticed the same thing, but when I switched to "Home Theater" mode, the picture was plenty bright and clear and I have a very bright room at night.
post #11998 of 12746 Old 03-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Also make sure black level is set to Light under Advanced Picture options.
post #11999 of 12746 Old 03-06-2014, 03:37 PM

I'm using custom, I don't believe there is a difference, but the turning the black extension to zero, I believe the preset is 5, brightened the picture considerably
post #12000 of 12746 Old 03-06-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

Also make sure black level is set to Light under Advanced Picture options.
advanced picture shows gaming mode? Confused
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page