Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervx View Post

you can still buy them in my area.
I don't own the tv but might buy one depending if the lag is reduced. I have gamed on tvs with similar or worse input lag, it is noticeable to some people, myself included.

You're missing out on a great TV over a supposed problem, mostly spread by poeple who don't own the TV, that for most people who do own the TV doesn't exist. You're loss. Games look phenomenal on this TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12062 of 12745 Old 03-11-2014, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

You're missing out on a great TV over a supposed problem, mostly spread by poeple who don't own the TV, that for most people who do own the TV doesn't exist. You're loss. Games look phenomenal on this TV.

many people with the tv also notice the problem. I don't see why its so hard for someone to do a before and after test.
post #12063 of 12745 Old 03-11-2014, 08:54 AM

Liked: 10
So my nephew cracked my screen is replacement even possible or worth it? I'm looking at the samsung 8500 now since the tv is sold out everywhere in the Bay Area.
post #12064 of 12745 Old 03-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayoner View Post

So my nephew cracked my screen is replacement even possible or worth it? I'm looking at the samsung 8500 now since the tv is sold out everywhere in the Bay Area.
Nope. I was quoted $1000, just for the screen. Sorry to hear it.
post #12065 of 12745 Old 03-11-2014, 12:02 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:

So my nephew cracked my screen is replacement even possible or worth it?

Are you talking about the screen (AKA the Outer Glass)?

Or are you talking about the Plasma Panel that's behind the screen?

If it's just the outer screen, that's actually quick and easy to replace and might be worth it instead of buying an expensive F8500.

But if it's the actual Plasma Panel then yes it would cost over a grand to have it replaced and probably wouldn't be worth it even if the panel is available from Panasonic.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #12066 of 12745 Old 03-11-2014, 03:13 PM

I think both. I see some dots of black leaking. One place quoted me $3000. And obviously Panasonic warranty doesn't cover this.
post #12067 of 12745 Old 03-11-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I think both. I see some dots of black leaking. One place quoted me $3000. And obviously Panasonic warranty doesn't cover this.

I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum feels for you friend. Good luck with finding a solution.

Side note, is ebay even a solution at this point?

They've actually got a 60" ST60 NEW, free shipping, from a seller named crank_it_up_audio with a reputable feedback rating. I know prices are discouraged on this forum, so look it up for yourselves. It seems they have a couple ST60's left. eek.gif

If someone here picks one of those up, please let us know your feedback.

post #12068 of 12745 Old 03-11-2014, 04:16 PM

Thx I'll check it out
post #12069 of 12745 Old 03-11-2014, 04:45 PM

Liked: 11

Sorry for bad English.Any picture settings for games?True cinema and cinema is very warm normal-standard  gamma is bad.I have 50st60e cnet settings is great for movie but games not.

post #12070 of 12745 Old 03-11-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Exactly my observations as well. I had the 65ST50 before I upgraded to the 65VT60 mainly due to the above mentioned reasons. The ST50 was my first Panasonic and even with the big improvements made with the 60 series this year, I still think that it's still lags behind Samsung and Sony when it comes to overall video processing. Fortunately it's not that far off and using a reference external video processor (I have the Oppo 103D) makes it that much better. The fact that it blows all the other sets away with HD 1080p content makes it untouchable.
I also agree that the ST60 is a clear step up in video processing over the GT50 (which I also owned). I don't think it lags behind any other TV in regards to picture clarity and I have owned both Sony and Samsung TVs. I describe Panasonic's as "true". Whatever it is fed as far as a signal, is what you get. So no it doesn't "polish a turd" but when fed a good quality source signal it's PQ is unmatched in every way including clarity and video processing.
Pop in Oblivion or Ender's Game on bluray!
post #12071 of 12745 Old 03-11-2014, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosnia View Post

Sorry for bad English.Any picture settings for games?True cinema and cinema is very warm normal-standard  gamma is bad.I have 50st60e cnet settings is great for movie but games not.

You should get your TV calibrated or use somebody's else settings. If it looks good for movies, then is should look good for games. At least in my case it is.

post #12072 of 12745 Old 03-11-2014, 08:11 PM

Liked: 27
Funny how opinions can differ given the same display. Although I love my 60ST60, I feel the motion processing and upscaling is below average at best. I've performed direct comparisons to my other plasma and led TV's and it's a little sad to admit that my budget LG plasmas and Sony 900a led bests the ST by a significant margin in this regard. My friend's budget Samsung plasma also performs better at this.

Although the ST panel itself is magnificent, the video processing does not come anywhere near the quality of the panel. I guess they had to cut corners somewhere. The ST uses a fairly slow processor and the video chip/algorithms implemented do not imho do this fine panel justice.

Sure the ST can provide a clean, crisp image. That is, until something moves on the screen or the camera pans....
post #12073 of 12745 Old 03-11-2014, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzione View Post

Funny how opinions can differ given the same display. Although I love my 60ST60, I feel the motion processing and upscaling is below average at best. I've performed direct comparisons to my other plasma and led TV's and it's a little sad to admit that my budget LG plasmas and Sony 900a led bests the ST by a significant margin in this regard. My friend's budget Samsung plasma also performs better at this.

Although the ST panel itself is magnificent, the video processing does not come anywhere near the quality of the panel. I guess they had to cut corners somewhere. The ST uses a fairly slow processor and the video chip/algorithms implemented do not imho do this fine panel justice.

Sure the ST can provide a clean, crisp image. That is, until something moves on the screen or the camera pans....

I kinda notice that on films, but in games it's just fine. I don't use 24p mode on my HDMI settings, so most of the problems I see are gone. 

post #12074 of 12745 Old 03-12-2014, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Buy a Darbee. biggrin.gif

post #12075 of 12745 Old 03-12-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:

Never had one single issue with motion or upscaling, perhaps your set has an issue.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #12076 of 12745 Old 03-12-2014, 07:59 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Never had one single issue with motion or upscaling, perhaps your set has an issue.

Have to agree with chunon, I am no expert on plasma by any means but hubby and I are beyond pleased we were able to buy this set when it was available. He had to talk me into it as I was against spending so much $$ for a tv but he was right, it has been well worth it.

Now I'm NOT making accusations but in my opinion I think sometimes people go looking for trouble.
Example, you buy a car, you enjoy the car then a friend points something out or you read about an issue in a magazine or forum then you begin to scrutinize, listen for every little noise, look for each flaw. Suddenly you start to notice what you hadn't before and start to enjoy your car less.

I'm just saying that maybe there is something "wrong" with our tv, I'm just not seeing it nor am I looking for it.

I expect to get ripped for this but I had to say it anyways wink.gif
htwaits and ril850 like this.

An "Analog Kid" in a digital world
post #12077 of 12745 Old 03-12-2014, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
^^^great point.
post #12078 of 12745 Old 03-12-2014, 08:27 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushfan2112 View Post

Have to agree with chunon, I am no expert on plasma by any means but hubby and I are beyond pleased we were able to buy this set when it was available. He had to talk me into it as I was against spending so much $$ for a tv but he was right, it has been well worth it.

Now I'm NOT making accusations but in my opinion I think sometimes people go looking for trouble.
Example, you buy a car, you enjoy the car then a friend points something out or you read about an issue in a magazine or forum then you begin to scrutinize, listen for every little noise, look for each flaw. Suddenly you start to notice what you hadn't before and start to enjoy your car less.

I'm just saying that maybe there is something "wrong" with our tv, I'm just not seeing it nor am I looking for it.

Not a great point.

EXCELLENT point.

I cannot see how anyone can "rip" that statement.

For the sale price I got on my 50" ST60 I am pleased with it and plan on no professional calibration.
If it looks good to me, it is good enough for me.

BUT I do stalk this forum and pick up tidbits here and there and may try some of them out.

This is an excellent source "lessons Learned".
post #12079 of 12745 Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushfan2112 View Post

Come on no one gets ripped around here biggrin.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #12080 of 12745 Old 03-12-2014, 08:45 AM

Well, there are a number of posts on this thread that identify the same issues I have. I guess they're all 'looking for trouble' too. I'm very happy for those that are not aware of ST video processing shortcomings. Wish I was one of them. However, I am indeed more sensitive to such anomalies and have compared this set to many others, in my own home in fact.

There's nothing wrong with my set...all the ones I've seen at stores exhibit similar behaviour.

In my experience video processing problems are noticed by some, not noticed by others and still others don't know the difference. Then there are the fanboys who will not tolerate ANY criticism of a product they've purchased. I love my ST but not enough to convince myself it's perfect.
post #12081 of 12745 Old 03-12-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

What are the issues ? What are your settings and post some examples of material that display the issues ? Easy to lob grenades

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #12082 of 12745 Old 03-12-2014, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Well, there are a number of posts on this thread that identify the same issues I have. I guess they're all 'looking for trouble' too. I'm very happy for those that are not aware of ST video processing shortcomings. Wish I was one of them. However, I am indeed more sensitive to such anomalies and have compared this set to many others, in my own home in fact.

There's nothing wrong with my set...all the ones I've seen at stores exhibit similar behaviour.

In my experience video processing problems are noticed by some, not noticed by others and still others don't know the difference. Then there are the fanboys who will not tolerate ANY criticism of a product they've purchased. I love my ST but not enough to convince myself it's perfect.

Are you in North America? The way you spell behavior I'm guessing Canada or Europe. Maybe the TVs are different in Europe if that's where you are.
post #12083 of 12745 Old 03-12-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:

What are the issues ? What are your settings and post some examples of material that display the issues ? Easy to lob grenades

So any criticism of this set amounts to lobbing grenades? Hmmm.
Did you not read the part where I've said I love this set?

I'm glad you're happy with your tv and if you don't notice anything wrong with the video processing then like someone else suggested, don't go looking for it.
In this case ignorance is bliss.

Someone above mentioned the ST has unmatched picture quality including video processing. My opinion and experience differs from the 'video processing' part of this statement. You are free to embrace or reject either opinion.
post #12084 of 12745 Old 03-12-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

So anyone that doesnt see an issue is ignorant ? Still didnt answer the question about the specific issues, source, settings etc

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #12085 of 12745 Old 03-12-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

Are you in North America? The way you spell behavior I'm guessing Canada or Europe. Maybe the TVs are different in Europe if that's where you are.

Yes, N. America here. I suppose it's possible that there are differences with the European sets although I don't see the logic of using dissimilar hardware components
between the units based on geographic market.

I've managed to enhance the processing on my ST from my STB that outputs 1080i and 720p signals by routing it through my new receiver, a Sony STRDN1040
which does a superb job upscaling these to 1080p. The result is noticeably better than having the ST's internal scaler do the work.
post #12086 of 12745 Old 03-12-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:

So anyone that doesnt see an issue is ignorant ? Still didnt answer the question about the specific issues, source, settings etc

That's not what I said. But feel free to interpret it that way if you must.

I don't feel answering your questions will further this discussion in any meaningful way. Your last few posts make that perfectly clear.
post #12087 of 12745 Old 03-12-2014, 09:48 AM

Liked: 40
Quote:

Yes, N. America here. I suppose it's possible that there are differences with the European sets although I don't see the logic of using dissimilar hardware components
between the units based on geographic market.

I've managed to enhance the processing on my ST from my STB that outputs 1080i and 720p signals by routing it through my new receiver, a Sony STRDN1040
which does a superb job upscaling these to 1080p. The result is noticeably better than having the ST's internal scaler do the work.

I am a sports nut, 90% of my viewing is sports, both in 1980i and 720p directly from my DirecTv DVR. If there was any issue with motion processing, I'd know it,,,, and there is absolutely none AFAIC. The ST60 is by far the best TV I've ever owned, Sony XBR's being my staple tv in the past and this being my 1st & last plasma and far better than any past CRT. I've been reading this thread for a year now and have found little mention of the issues you describe from others. sure lots of complaints from the gamers about lag but motion processing & scaling? Not common issues that I can recall.

As a suggestion, I would repeat what's already been offered (if it' suggestions you're actually after that is), GET A DARBEE. smile.gif
post #12088 of 12745 Old 03-12-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

From reading your description of your setup it could very well be your set top box causing the issue, I use a tivo set at 1080i and have no 1080p upscaling issues. In fact I had an OPPO103 for a brief period of time and it made no discernable difference in the processing vs the upscaling on my set. Enjoy your set !

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #12089 of 12745 Old 03-12-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Bombard View Post

I am a sports nut, 90% of my viewing is sports, both in 1980i and 720p directly from my DirecTv DVR. If there was any issue with motion processing, I'd know it,,,, and there is absolutely none AFAIC. The ST60 is by far the best TV I've ever owned, Sony XBR's being my staple tv in the past and this being my 1st & last plasma and far better than any past CRT. I've been reading this thread for a year now and have found little mention of the issues you describe from others. sure lots of complaints from the gamers about lag but motion processing & scaling? Not common issues that I can recall.

As a suggestion, I would repeat what's already been offered (if it' suggestions you're actually after that is), GET A DARBEE. smile.gif

Strongly considering this. I've seen some very positive reports on the device.
I agree, the issues are not common ones as posted in this thread but they do exist.
post #12090 of 12745 Old 03-12-2014, 10:53 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:

So any criticism of this set amounts to lobbing grenades? Hmmm.
Did you not read the part where I've said I love this set?

I'm glad you're happy with your tv and if you don't notice anything wrong with the video processing then like someone else suggested, don't go looking for it.
In this case ignorance is bliss.

Someone above mentioned the ST has unmatched picture quality including video processing. My opinion and experience differs from the 'video processing' part of this statement. You are free to embrace or reject either opinion.

Then I must be dumb as a stump tongue.gif

An "Analog Kid" in a digital world
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page