post #12151 of 12904 Old 03-19-2014, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

That's not usually how it works. Michael Chen is one of the strongest opponents of using settings from someone else's calibration.

One big negative, at least for professional calibrators, is that it can hurt their reputation if "borrowed" settings are critiqued here at AVS. At least that's my take on it.

I understand what you are saying about the negatively critiqued part. I have tried all posted settings on the ST60 and most look worse than standard Custom. I do like to check out all posted settings just in case they happen to look good on test patterns. Not financially in the works for me to get a professional calibration right now on the ST60 but maybe down the road.

I have had 3 professional calibrations done on previous sets in the past. The first one was a local calibrator who did an OK job on my old school Toshiba TW56X81. Then I hired Michael Chen to do a calibration on the same set with the Herman-TLV maneuver and it looked fantastic. He spent so much time on it he ended up crashing on our couch for the night! I also had Jeff Meier calibrate my Sony KDS-R60XBR2 with fantastic results that still look good today minus the developing green blob situation. Both Michael and Jeff asked me not to post settings which I honored.

All I can say now is that someone posted Michael's settings for the ST60 and for some reason they look great on my set. I am glad D-Nice posts his settings at least that give owners a chance of having a better looking picture than you can get from the presets. And if it doesn't as was in my case I don't fault D-Nice. Panasonic has wide variation among panels. The only manufacturer who didn't was Pioneer. If you analyze D-Nice settings across similar panels from the Pioneers you saw much less variance in his settings. My ex-500M looked magnificent with his settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12152 of 12904 Old 03-19-2014, 08:51 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyHere View Post

Browser full screen, how do I get rid on the top bar??

When I use the browser, I can not get rid of that top bar. I assume (hope) there is a way around it??

Anybody know of a trick to getting rid of that bar?
post #12153 of 12904 Old 03-19-2014, 11:57 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzione View Post

Funny how opinions can differ given the same display. Although I love my 60ST60, I feel the motion processing and upscaling is below average at best. I've performed direct comparisons to my other plasma and led TV's and it's a little sad to admit that my budget LG plasmas and Sony 900a led bests the ST by a significant margin in this regard. My friend's budget Samsung plasma also performs better at this.

Although the ST panel itself is magnificent, the video processing does not come anywhere near the quality of the panel. I guess they had to cut corners somewhere. The ST uses a fairly slow processor and the video chip/algorithms implemented do not imho do this fine panel justice.

Sure the ST can provide a clean, crisp image. That is, until something moves on the screen or the camera pans....

What kind of content? When I first got the set it felt like there was some slight motion smoothing on for everything I watched, and I sure hate motion smoothing. I guess I got over it eventually. 3D content still has motion issues, though they got better after the first update.
post #12154 of 12904 Old 03-20-2014, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
HELP!
After update,I'm not sure why I can no longer have the ARC work between the TV and my Denon 4520. I get no sound and getting really frustrated. Tried switching both outputs on my Denon and no luck, it was working before update. WTH happened?!

Life is what you make it.......
post #12155 of 12904 Old 03-20-2014, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowingChicken View Post

What kind of content? When I first got the set it felt like there was some slight motion smoothing on for everything I watched, and I sure hate motion smoothing. I guess I got over it eventually. 3D content still has motion issues, though they got better after the first update.

It sounds like Panasonic uses some 'secret sauce' in their pulldown in 60hz mode that could be considered by some to be motion smoothing. Panasonic isn't talking but it sounds like they blend frames rather than doing 'pure' 3:2 pulldown. You might see if you prefer 96hz mode. It's supposed to provide better motion resolution anyways.

After some testing I went with 60hz mode and Motion Smoother set to Weak when feeding it 24p. I feel like it looks natural without a lot of film judder (I pretty much hate judder). But take my opinion with a grain of salt. On my Sony LED I like the effects of backlight strobbing so I'm hardly a film cadence purist.
post #12156 of 12904 Old 03-20-2014, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ril850 View Post

HELP!
After update,I'm not sure why I can no longer have the ARC work between the TV and my Denon 4520. I get no sound and getting really frustrated. Tried switching both outputs on my Denon and no luck, it was working before update. WTH happened?!

Check in the apps and make sure it's still set to home theater.
post #12157 of 12904 Old 03-20-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

Check in the apps and make sure it's still set to home theater.
I did and I get a message CHECK HDMI CONNECTIONS or something like that, piece of crap is driving me nuts. I did check connection HDMI Control is "on" on the Denon and I already reset the TV....errrr!

post #12158 of 12904 Old 03-20-2014, 01:36 PM

I reset receiver and tv to factory defaults and nothing SO ANNOYED that this little feature does not work. Now have to redo the settings on everything, I should've just bought a damn optical cable and be done with it.mad.gif

post #12159 of 12904 Old 03-20-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:

I reset receiver and tv to factory defaults and nothing SO ANNOYED that this little feature does not work. Now have to redo the settings on everything, I should've just bought a damn optical cable and be done with it.mad.gif

I can relate to that. I have a Denon X4000 and I couldn't figure out how to make ARC work either. I've made sure to use input 2 on the TV (marked ARC), and turn HDMI control on on both the X4000 and TV... it never worked. Since the TV can only output stereo or DolbyDigital, using an optical cable won't result in an avoidable loss of quality, so I did just that.

post #12160 of 12904 Old 03-20-2014, 02:09 PM

I agree, I just know it worked at one point and I'm not sure what I did or if the recent firmware update screwed it up.

post #12161 of 12904 Old 03-20-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

ST60 / ET60 / E60 / EW60 / LE64 Series Firmware Update Version 2.730
Version: 2.730
Issues Addressed:
Improves Lip Sync Issue
Download Installation Instructions

Release Date 03/20/2014

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P50ST60?t=downloads&support#tabs

Download it using the Network Software Update feature on your TV sets.
I did and ever since the ARC stopped working. I hope they release something down the line to make it a more reliable feature. Thought thats what 1.4 was all about!

post #12162 of 12904 Old 03-20-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:

I agree, I just know it worked at one point and I'm not sure what I did or if the recent firmware update screwed it up.
The reputation ARC has isn't very good, especially if more than one manufacture is involved. A lot of people prefer a universal remote like the ones from Logitech's Harmony line which can organize your control problems by activity. I've found that our Harmony remote has always worked, and when the correct signal doesn't get through, their help mode guides you to the correction within seconds.

I've always turned ARC off in all my components. wink.gif

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12163 of 12904 Old 03-20-2014, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The reputation ARC has isn't very good, especially if more than one manufacture is involved. A lot of people prefer a universal remote like the ones from Logitech's Harmony line which can organize your control problems by activity. I've always turned ARC off in all my components. wink.gif
To back the guy with the problem............I have the Panasonic sound bar and the ST60 and since the 3rd last update (counting 3/20/2014 post above) it has stopped working! Agree ARC has had issues and will continue until a real consortium backs it up!
ril850 likes this.
post #12164 of 12904 Old 03-20-2014, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am going to have to retract my above statement. I just updated the new 3/20 load and it works fine with Panny to Panny ARC connections! Sound is back with APPS.
post #12165 of 12904 Old 03-20-2014, 02:57 PM

Thank god, I thought I was going crazy. I got bags under my eyes from the loss of sleep trying to fix the darn thing.

post #12166 of 12904 Old 03-20-2014, 03:01 PM

Guess I'm going crazy!

post #12167 of 12904 Old 03-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
FWIW, I haven't noticed any change after the recent forced firmware update with respect to lip sync. I have only used the tv to watch netflix streaming and content from my HTPC. For Netflix, I use sound via optical out of the tv to my receiver... the sound has always been a bit ahead of the video on the order of a ~40 msec frame. No change that I can tell. For my htpc content, I do video to the tv and audio straight from the htpc to the avr. I have something like 180 msec delay configured for the audio (configured in the pc software) to account for the total audio lag involved. This is about 70 msec more than my previous tv. Again no change since the update.

these are only two of many use cases, so I'm not making a general comment about the value of the update... just reporting for me it does nothing as far as I have noticed yet.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #12168 of 12904 Old 03-20-2014, 04:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

FWIW, I haven't noticed any change after the recent forced firmware update with respect to lip sync. I have only used the tv to watch netflix streaming and content from my HTPC. For Netflix, I use sound via optical out of the tv to my receiver... the sound has always been a bit ahead of the video on the order of a ~40 msec frame. No change that I can tell. For my htpc content, I do video to the tv and audio straight from the htpc to the avr. I have something like 180 msec delay configured for the audio (configured in the pc software) to account for the total audio lag involved. This is about 70 msec more than my previous tv. Again no change since the update.

Similar experience on my system: BD -> optical -> Receiver for sound; BD -> HDMI -> Pani for video. About 40-60ms early for the audio.
If I use the TV sound or pipe the TV sound to the Receiver, spot-on.

Guess I need to upgrade my receiver (HK AVR 230) so I can set an audio delay.

Panasonic P60ST60
Sony BDP-S3100
Harmon Kardon AVR 230
post #12169 of 12904 Old 03-20-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Ok this is about the 4th or 5th time this has happened and I don't know what causes it...
Put in Captain Phillips bluray (rental version) and the black levels are all blown out. Way to bright. The black bars are gray. I adjusted the black level to dark and then tweaked the brightness to get it looking ok but not sure why this happens with this tv when it never happened with my GT50...? this has happened with other movies as well. Anyone else have this happen or know what might be causing it?
post #12170 of 12904 Old 03-21-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

I was not addressing your problem. I was posting a general notice for all about the new software update that was released just today.
I understand biggrin.gif

post #12171 of 12904 Old 03-21-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Ok this is about the 4th or 5th time this has happened and I don't know what causes it...
Put in Captain Phillips bluray (rental version) and the black levels are all blown out. Way to bright. The black bars are gray. I adjusted the black level to dark and then tweaked the brightness to get it looking ok but not sure why this happens with this tv when it never happened with my GT50...? this has happened with other movies as well. Anyone else have this happen or know what might be causing it?

Have you looked in the screen settings menu, not sure if the ST has this. Look for something like hdmi content type(photo, graphics, ect) and anything else that can change the color space, IE native-full being set to auto. Maybe an eco setting. Is your firmware updated?

I'm at work so going off memory:eek: lol
post #12172 of 12904 Old 03-21-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

Have you looked in the screen settings menu, not sure if the ST has this. Look for something like hdmi content type(photo, graphics, ect) and anything else that can change the color space, IE native-full being set to auto. Maybe an eco setting. Is your firmware updated?

I'm at work so going off memory:eek: lol

I will check the content type. Firmware is updated.
post #12173 of 12904 Old 03-21-2014, 10:39 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

What took so long???!!! (for a reply)
I'll make a firm decision this weekend. Our windows would be easy to cover w. a blanket. Window opening is about 5' by 7'. We have blinds - I'll check tomorrow how well they do block light

I had Chad calibrate my set last year and I highly recommend him. I saw a noticeable improvement in black level and color accuracy. This was the 2nd Panasonic plasma that I had him calibrate for me.

Very nice, personable and professional.

Just my 2 cents.
Chad B likes this.
post #12174 of 12904 Old 03-21-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricemanva View Post

I had Chad calibrate my set last year and I highly recommend him. I saw a noticeable improvement in black level and color accuracy. This was the 2nd Panasonic plasma that I had him calibrate for me.

Very nice, personable and professional.

Just my 2 cents.

My main hesitation is (assuming we can get place dark enuf if he needs to come in day time) --
As some others have mentioned in this LONG thread, this is an ugly, tacky looking, panel when it is just hanging on the wall with its mirror-like black bezel - especially the wide bottom bezel. Even though we watch it mainly at nite, the tiny amount of ambient light is picked up not only by the black bezel, but a little by shiny silver edging around the bezel. The main ugliness is most apparent during the day. A couple people mentioned they were able to cover this with masking tape - but not sure that just wouldn't replace one ugly with another. The other Panny panels we bought over the years didn't have this problem. (4th plasma in 10 years)

But, I digress -

I'd hate to put $ into this only to decide in the near future I can't take it any more and find someone I owe a favor to - to give it to, I'll make a decision in next couple days.
post #12175 of 12904 Old 03-21-2014, 06:10 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:

What took so long???!!! (for a reply)
I'll make a firm decision this weekend. Our windows would be easy to cover w. a blanket. Window opening is about 5' by 7'. We have blinds - I'll check tomorrow how well they do block light

Nice. Post on this thread if you're interested. smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1521572/bay-area-calibration-tour-by-chad-b
post #12176 of 12904 Old 03-22-2014, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

The Blacks on this particular bluray in some scenes are not ``inky``, they are murky and grey looking also they crush as well. Do not put your blacklevel setting to Dark, leave it on LOW. High is for sources that are from a PC this will crush your blacks . Disable all the enhancement settings, like AGC and Black Extension set them to zero. Use the black clipping pattern on AVS HD 709 calibration disk and set brightness where 16 is invisible and 17 still flashes. Then try with a different movie. Sometimes it`s the source , even if it`s blu ray. Try a different movie. Put the tv if you haven`t already in Cinema or Custom picture mode use Warm 2 color temperature..
post #12177 of 12904 Old 03-22-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My main hesitation is (assuming we can get place dark enuf if he needs to come in day time) --
As some others have mentioned in this LONG thread, this is an ugly, tacky looking, panel when it is just hanging on the wall with its mirror-like black bezel - especially the wide bottom bezel. Even though we watch it mainly at nite, the tiny amount of ambient light is picked up not only by the black bezel, but a little by shiny silver edging around the bezel. The main ugliness is most apparent during the day. A couple people mentioned they were able to cover this with masking tape - but not sure that just wouldn't replace one ugly with another. The other Panny panels we bought over the years didn't have this problem. (4th plasma in 10 years)

But, I digress -

I'd hate to put $ into this only to decide in the near future I can't take it any more and find someone I owe a favor to - to give it to, I'll make a decision in next couple days.

Hmmm...I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder because I think this set is very attractive while off, whereas the older Panasonic plasma's are butt ugly!

In fact those old chunky designs may have prevented me from considering buying one. I now realize that was a mistake and I don't really care what it looks like while off. It's the PQ that matters most. And I don't find the bezel distracting while viewing either.
ril850 likes this.
post #12178 of 12904 Old 03-22-2014, 08:14 AM

Liked: 35
^ ^ ^ ^
+1

An "Analog Kid" in a digital world
post #12179 of 12904 Old 03-22-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungro View Post

The Blacks on this particular bluray in some scenes are not ``inky``, they are murky and grey looking also they crush as well. Do not put your blacklevel setting to Dark, leave it on LOW. High is for sources that are from a PC this will crush your blacks . Disable all the enhancement settings, like AGC and Black Extension set them to zero. Use the black clipping pattern on AVS HD 709 calibration disk and set brightness where 16 is invisible and 17 still flashes. Then try with a different movie. Sometimes it`s the source , even if it`s blu ray. Try a different movie. Put the tv if you haven`t already in Cinema or Custom picture mode use Warm 2 color temperature..

I am not a complete and total noob, just not technically proficient. I am aware that black levels vary from source to source. Color is not the problem. All enhancements are OFF and I use custom/cinema. My brightness is set just fine. I notice the blacklevel in this movie is not good but this is different, the black bars them self are literally glowing medium gray. It's strange because it's only happened a few times but when it does its like night and day difference from all other blurays. I fell like I must have some other setting wrong but I don't know why it would vary so much from disc to disc. I also don't have the disc to test any more.

If it is the source there is no excuse for how bad it is and I will continue (ONLY as needed) to use the DARK black level setting. It clearly does crush blacks but to counter act this I then go and adjust the brightness up until shadow detail looks right. When the movie is over I go back to normal settings. It's not "right" but if you saw how bad it looks without doing it you would understand.
post #12180 of 12904 Old 03-22-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Hmmm...I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder because I think this set is very attractive while off, whereas the older Panasonic plasma's are butt ugly!

In fact those old chunky designs may have prevented me from considering buying one. I now realize that was a mistake and I don't really care what it looks like while off. It's the PQ that matters most. And I don't find the bezel distracting while viewing either.
We're getting a little off topic - but "Dull Flat Black" finishes seem to be the way most electronics is finished, like the JBL soundbar we got for this panel. Previous Pannys didn't come this way. I will say that one we got about 4 years ago and still use in Miami came w. a dull (non-reflective) silver "bezel" that is somewhat wide because it has front facing built-in speakers. A LOW end Vizio just got for a bdrm. has dull black frame.

Back on topic - played HBOGo via Chromecast plugged in to HDMI 3 last nite. The OUTSTANDING pic quality on this panel doing this seemed even better than lots of what we get directly via cable via DVR. Hmm, just occurred to me to check to see the HDMI 3 settings.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread - P55st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page