Forum Jump: 

post #12421 of 12708 Old 04-28-2014, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post

Can't say with certainty, but if you "smell wood" then sometimes that means the drill bit has just happened to hit a knot in the wood that is more dense and so it takes more to drill through it. But, if something is impeding the drill bit and it is getting hot....you don't want it to get too hot. Or you got unlucky and hit a nail in the stud. You could try drilling another hole an inch above or below the first hole and see if it goes in more easily.

Yeah I tried a couple different spots, same issue. I'm just going to borrow my brother in laws bits to see if mine are too dull. The good thing about smelling wood is I know I'm not dealing with metal studs! Always a bright side!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12422 of 12708 Old 04-29-2014, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Are you using a cordless drill? If so, try a real AC (corded) drill and see if that will get the job done.
post #12423 of 12708 Old 04-29-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Collins View Post

Are you using a cordless drill? If so, try a real AC (corded) drill and see if that will get the job done.

I'm using an electric one. I'm going to try tonight with other drillbits. I'm not much of a handy man so I'm a little timid when it comes to smelling wood when drilling. I very well could be good to keep drilling but I don't want to chance it haha.

post #12424 of 12708 Old 04-29-2014, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post

I'm using an electric one. I'm going to try tonight with other drillbits. I'm not much of a handy man so I'm a little timid when it comes to smelling wood when drilling. I very well could be good to keep drilling but I don't want to chance it haha.

Best way to tell (along with using a stud finder), when the material from the drill hole is coming out from the bit, is it drywall material, or wood like material? Trust me, I was a bit nervous when I hung my first TV on the wall (which was 20 inches smaller, but a little heavier than the 60ST60), but it's all good. I've hung many TV's in many different houses at this point. Just be careful. You can always repair the wall with some mud and a little touch up paint.

post #12425 of 12708 Old 04-29-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizimes View Post

Quote:

Best way to tell (along with using a stud finder), when the material from the drill hole is coming out from the bit, is it drywall material, or wood like material? Trust me, I was a bit nervous when I hung my first TV on the wall (which was 20 inches smaller, but a little heavier than the 60ST60), but it's all good. I've hung many TV's in many different houses at this point. Just be careful. You can always repair the wall with some mud and a little touch up paint.
In fact, you can always take out some sheet rock and reinforce the wood that's going to carry the load. Patching sheet rock that will be behind a TV is easy to do.
post #12426 of 12708 Old 04-29-2014, 03:02 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

In fact, you can always take out some sheet rock and reinforce the wood that's going to carry the load. Patching sheet rock that will be behind a TV is easy to do.

Never thought of that before, but TV's are so light these days that drilling in to the middle of a stud is plenty solid to mount to. I've got no concern whatsoever. Although, like I said, I was extremely nervous the first time I mounted. So much so that my buddy and I sat there slowly taking our hands off the TV after we hung it for about 2 minutes.

post #12427 of 12708 Old 04-29-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

Never thought of that before, but TV's are so light these days that drilling in to the middle of a stud is plenty solid to mount to. I've got no concern whatsoever. Although, like I said, I was extremely nervous the first time I mounted. So much so that my buddy and I sat there slowly taking our hands off the TV after we hung it for about 2 minutes.
Of course I agree with you. But having one stud that's resisting being drilled might call for a more complicated approach. Our house is 1950 construction with Douglas Fir stud walls. Sometimes Douglas Fir can turn into iron given enough time.
post #12428 of 12708 Old 04-30-2014, 03:09 PM

Liked: 13
I can't seem to find this info anywhere - Does the ST60 support/take advantage of Deep Color?

The PS4 had an option for it patched in today and I'm wondering if it should be turned on or not.
post #12429 of 12708 Old 04-30-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

I have tried some 3D movies this week, the first was Man of Steel, the 3D was okay, no real problem at all, maybe some miner crosstalk.

Then we saw Pacific Rim tonight and the 3D in this movie is really good, a big problem was however to focus on the subtitle from time to time(often)!? I tried to switch between Normal and Cinema/BIO mode but it was the same. I also tried to switch between Samsung 3D glasses and Panasoinc without the same result? The 3D it self did not seem to have problems but the subtitle was really hard to see somtimes. The eyes could not really focus . When pausing and looking with one eye at a time I could see that the text was vary far appart!? I would say that the subtitle was hard to read about 30% of the movie.

Have you notice problems like this? I have been on cinema with both passive and active 3D and never hade this big problems to focus. Yes I have been on bad cinemas with active 3D where the subtitles have been hard to read but not like this.

What do you think about this? Is it somthing you have seen? Is there a solution?
post #12430 of 12708 Old 04-30-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanfoh View Post

I can't seem to find this info anywhere - Does the ST60 support/take advantage of Deep Color?

The PS4 had an option for it patched in today and I'm wondering if it should be turned on or not.
There isn't any Deep Color source material so there is no reason to turn it on even if you do have a Deep Color option.
post #12431 of 12708 Old 04-30-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:

There isn't any Deep Color source material so there is no reason to turn it on even if you do have a Deep Color option.

Alright, thanks.
post #12432 of 12708 Old 04-30-2014, 05:56 PM

Liked: 12
Ok got an image retention question.

My st60 has 1600 hrs on it and has started developing IR almost instantaneously, it does seem to go away fairly quickly but still. I'm noticing it while watching hockey, now I realize that the white ice makes it easy to see but still I don't recall it like this up until just recently.

Is there something that can cause IR to all of a sudden start showing up like this? How bad does it need to get before Panasonic will do warranty work on it? Thanks for any help.
post #12433 of 12708 Old 04-30-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevman View Post

My st60 has 1600 hrs on it and has started developing IR almost instantaneously, it does seem to go away fairly quickly but still. I'm noticing it while watching hockey, now I realize that the white ice makes it easy to see but still I don't recall it like this up until just recently.
There is no way to tell why you are noticing IR now, but it sounds harmless.
Quote:
Is there something that can cause IR to all of a sudden start showing up like this?
I've done a lot of reading and I haven't ever found anything about a sudden panel defect causing IR.
Quote:
How bad does it need to get before Panasonic will do warranty work on it?
IR, as far as I know, isn't covered by Panasonic's warranty. Best Buy has one that covered burn-in but that's not your problem.

For IR information click here.
teevman likes this.
post #12434 of 12708 Old 05-01-2014, 08:27 AM

^agree
Quote:

Ok got an image retention question.

Is there something that can cause IR to all of a sudden start showing up like this? How bad does it need to get before Panasonic will do warranty work on it? Thanks for any help.

I know this may sound crazy, but don't stress over it. Trust me... if you do, you'll never be happy.

I've had my own issues with IR as well and I would stress over it and it drove me crazy. I had the ESPN logo from the sports ticker (started between 1000-1500 hrs) stuck in the bottom right corner for nearly a month. I was running screen wipe, pixel jogger, and finally the WOW disc pixel flipper (worked the best) all overnight. Eventually it went away and I decided to relax. Now I get IR from time to time (TNT, Fox Sports, etc) like you're describing and it goes away almost immediately. So I don't stress over it anymore and I hardly notice it.
teevman likes this.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 Plasma
Sony HT-CT660 Sound bar
Harmony 650 Remote
Google Chromecast
Sony Playstation 3
post #12435 of 12708 Old 05-01-2014, 02:23 PM

Wow, has it been almost year already since receipt of my P60ST60? Time flies when you are enjoying the best TV you've ever owned.

Got a letter this week from Best Buy/Geek Squad offering their protection plan; $124.99/1 year or $294.99/3 years. Anyone have any opinions about spending cash on that kind of "insurance"? Not really asking about the Geek Squad service per se, I've read some of the horror stories and some good ones too.

Remembering back through this thread and some others, I don't recall reading a bunch of posts saying "OMG my panel has failed and I wanna sue!!". And generally, if electronics are going to fail it's sooner rather than later. Yes, the TV will eventually need servicing but I think I'm willing to bet it won't be within the upcoming three years. And no, I didn't buy a service plan when the TV was purchased, my "sooner than later syndrome", figured Panasonic is on the hook for the first year. cool.gif

Opinions?
post #12436 of 12708 Old 05-01-2014, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
^^
I usually do not get these. Besides if yours failed, what would they replace your ST60 with, some mediocre model? Some of the Samsung/LG plasmas are going for way under what you paid for your ST60.
post #12437 of 12708 Old 05-01-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjim View Post

Hi,

I have tried some 3D movies this week, the first was Man of Steel, the 3D was okay, no real problem at all, maybe some miner crosstalk.

Then we saw Pacific Rim tonight and the 3D in this movie is really good, a big problem was however to focus on the subtitle from time to time(often)!? I tried to switch between Normal and Cinema/BIO mode but it was the same. I also tried to switch between Samsung 3D glasses and Panasoinc without the same result? The 3D it self did not seem to have problems but the subtitle was really hard to see somtimes. The eyes could not really focus . When pausing and looking with one eye at a time I could see that the text was vary far appart!? I would say that the subtitle was hard to read about 30% of the movie.

Have you notice problems like this? I have been on cinema with both passive and active 3D and never hade this big problems to focus. Yes I have been on bad cinemas with active 3D where the subtitles have been hard to read but not like this.

What do you think about this? Is it somthing you have seen? Is there a solution?

I have now tested some more and this is what I found out :

3D TV is al about giving diffrent image to each eye(as you probably know). The difference in each image is in a such a way that the brain translate it to 3D. The problem with subtitles in this case is that there is way to much space/adjustments between the text in each(left/right) image. If the adjustments is about 3 chars(horizontal) between them, then the text will be hard to read, eyes won't know where to focus. If the chars is next to eachother(1 step) then the subtitles will be clear and easy to read.

A example are Pacific rim, 34 min in (eng and swedith subtitle tested).

I have troed the 3D ajustment but all that can solve is some crosstalk, the subtitle will still be har to read. We never notic this problem on Man of Steel.

Its not only me that have problems with this and I have tried diffrent 3D glasses without making any progress.

Have you tested this? Or do you know how to solve it?
post #12438 of 12708 Old 05-01-2014, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10

How come this TV does a mediocre job at 1080p/24p mode? No matter which setting whether 48hz, 60hz, or 96hz, the motion handle is just not so good. While the judder is gone, the movement still looks speed up or looks like that soap opera effect even though the motion enhancer is off. My ips monitor does a finnier job at it when set to 48hz mode. Does the VT or ZT models suffer the same issue?

post #12439 of 12708 Old 05-02-2014, 12:51 PM

After 300 hours I have my first bout with IR. Channel logo. I'm surprised as my wife only watched 20 min show 2 days ago off hulu (apple tv) and other shows/games have happened since.

I guess the pixel orbiter is set to on now and I'll break out the WOW disc tonight.

Sent from my iDevicr using Tapatalk. Please excuse typos and brevity.
post #12440 of 12708 Old 05-03-2014, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaveAbides View Post

After 300 hours I have my first bout with IR. Channel logo. I'm surprised as my wife only watched 20 min show 2 days ago off hulu (apple tv) and other shows/games have happened since.

I guess the pixel orbiter is set to on now and I'll break out the WOW disc tonight.

Honestly if found this app to work the best i ran it on my laptop and then just hooked it up via HDMI to the ST60.

http://www.jscreenfix.com/

I would say running it overnight for 3 days straight would eliminate the IR. But really keep using it until you don't notice the image retention anymore.

post #12441 of 12708 Old 05-03-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMX23 View Post

Honestly if found this app to work the best i ran it on my laptop and then just hooked it up via HDMI to the ST60.

http://www.jscreenfix.com/

I would say running it overnight for 3 days straight would eliminate the IR. But really keep using it until you don't notice the image retention anymore.

How do you get this to run full screen? I launch it on my laptop to try and it's just a small area. Thanks.
post #12442 of 12708 Old 05-03-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:

How do you get this to run full screen? I launch it on my laptop to try and it's just a small area. Thanks.

Actually you can download the application called JScreenFix deluxe.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/JScreenFix.shtml

Although when i download it, it seems to have separate files but no actual application icon. Could you see if you are able to download it and open the application?

I've downloaded this in the past with no problems..

post #12443 of 12708 Old 05-03-2014, 12:57 PM

I found this jscreenfix windows screen saver. I d/l it and all you do is run the app, it's full screen. Wouldn't this be basically the same as the deluxe version you have to pay for minus some extras.

http://www.jscreenfix.com/screensaver.html
post #12444 of 12708 Old 05-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 102
Quote:

See one of my earlier messages for instructions:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/11430#post_24272809
teevman likes this.
post #12445 of 12708 Old 05-03-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:

I found this jscreenfix windows screen saver. I d/l it and all you do is run the app, it's full screen. Wouldn't this be basically the same as the deluxe version you have to pay for minus some extras.

http://www.jscreenfix.com/screensaver.html

Oh yes sorry that was the application i was looking for! Appreciate the link. Yes run that full screen for as long as needed to remove IR. I've had success with it in the past.

post #12446 of 12708 Old 05-05-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:

Thanks! I got it mounted just fine. Just had a dull drill bit is all!

Next question...My HDMI ports are all in use on AVR and I want to hook my computer up to the T.V. The ST60 as far as I know, supports ARC on HDMI 2. My receiver's HDMI out is ARC compatible. ARC basically means if I plug a device into my T.Vs HDMI port, the it will carry sound through my receiver via the HDMI plugged into the ARC HDMI port correct? If so, do I need to do anything fancy for that?

post #12447 of 12708 Old 05-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Next question...My HDMI ports are all in use on AVR and I want to hook my computer up to the T.V. The ST60 as far as I know, supports ARC on HDMI 2. My receiver's HDMI out is ARC compatible. ARC basically means if I plug a device into my T.Vs HDMI port, the it will carry sound through my receiver via the HDMI plugged into the ARC HDMI port correct? If so, do I need to do anything fancy for that?

It should work, but you'll be limited to two-channel audio. A better choice would be to connect the PC to the AVR using S/PDIF, optical or coaxial, whatever you have. I've done this the last eight years or so, and it's good for DD5.1, DTS, and various 2ch PCM formats.
post #12448 of 12708 Old 05-05-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

It should work, but you'll be limited to two-channel audio. A better choice would be to connect the PC to the AVR using S/PDIF, optical or coaxial, whatever you have. I've done this the last eight years or so, and it's good for DD5.1, DTS, and various 2ch PCM formats.

Didn't even think about that. Good idea. Thanks!

I thought ARC gave you 5.1 but not an optical cable from the T.V to the AVR. What I love about this place is I learn something new every day. That and the people of course!

post #12449 of 12708 Old 05-06-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

Didn't even think about that. Good idea. Thanks!

I thought ARC gave you 5.1 but not an optical cable from the T.V to the AVR. What I love about this place is I learn something new every day. That and the people of course!

ARC will give you 5.1 but only from TV sources (over the air HD, Netflix/apps). Any other devices plugged into the TV, the tv will only pass along stereo audio. Receiver works best for multiple sources.

post #12450 of 12708 Old 05-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaveAbides View Post

ARC will give you 5.1 but only from TV sources (over the air HD, Netflix/apps). Any other devices plugged into the TV, the tv will only pass along stereo audio.

I was speaking only to the scenario he was asking about, but yeah. However, assuming ARC has the same abilities as optical, it should be "HDMI devices plugged into the TV", because the ST60 will output DD5.1 and DTS over optical from files on USB drives.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page