Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 418 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12511 of 12711 Old 05-27-2014, 05:13 AM
Member
 
gasdag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Guys I think I've found my first issue with my 60ST60. Purchased in December, It just rolled over 1400 hours. Absolutely love the screen. I did the recommended "break in" process and ran the colored slides, and the picture has sharpened and become more vibrant over time. It's not professionally calibrated.

So on the right hand side I have 1 or 2 thin vertical shaded lines that appear on white or light colored images. It is very faint, but has steadily gotten more visible over time. I am attaching a pic.

I haven't read all 400 pages of this and don't plan on it, so I'm looking for a few quick answers and advice. If your advice is to tell me to read this whole thread, please keep it to yourself.

1) what is the technical description of what is going on with these lines?
2) is this something that can be fixed?
3) is this a problem Panasonic would address if I were to call for warranty service? Or would they say it's normal?

I love the screen and can't see getting any other 60" in the $1500 range that I would like as much. This is the ONLY problem I have with the ST60, and it's extremely minor at that.
Thx for any advice.


Panasonic 60ST60, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Polk RTiA9, PS3 Slim
gasdag is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12512 of 12711 Old 05-27-2014, 07:33 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasdag View Post

Guys I think I've found my first issue with my 60ST60. Purchased in December, It just rolled over 1400 hours. Absolutely love the screen. I did the recommended "break in" process and ran the colored slides, and the picture has sharpened and become more vibrant over time. It's not professionally calibrated.

So on the right hand side I have 1 or 2 thin vertical shaded lines that appear on white or light colored images. It is very faint, but has steadily gotten more visible over time. I am attaching a pic.

I haven't read all 400 pages of this and don't plan on it, so I'm looking for a few quick answers and advice. If your advice is to tell me to read this whole thread, please keep it to yourself.

1) what is the technical description of what is going on with these lines?
2) is this something that can be fixed?
3) is this a problem Panasonic would address if I were to call for warranty service? Or would they say it's normal?

Those lines along the right side are normal on the various 2013 models and are widely reported in every thread. I have them on my ST60 as well but they're barely noticeable and only on light colored content.

It's a common anomaly in the panel or the filter so there is really nothing Panasonic can do about it other than giving you a warranty refund as the cost to replace your panel exceeds your purchase price, and they likely don't have any more replacement panels left. And even if they did, it would probably also have the same lines.

It's best just to ignore the issue.
cajieboy likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #12513 of 12711 Old 05-27-2014, 08:56 AM
Member
 
gasdag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
THanks for the advice. Just to confirm, do we know what's causing this? Has anyone improved their lines? This is not a pixel-related issue, where a pixel-flipper would help?

Panasonic 60ST60, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Polk RTiA9, PS3 Slim
gasdag is offline  
post #12514 of 12711 Old 05-27-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 4,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 457
As Randy mentions above it is either a defect in the panel or the AR filter, was common on the 2012 models also. No the pixel flipper would not affect it at all. I have the same line on my VT60 but can barely see it unless the angle is right and I am looking for it.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is offline  
post #12515 of 12711 Old 05-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Member
 
davemsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Quick question...

 

Does everyone keep the pixel orbiter on as default?  Or do they switch it on only if you have IR?

 

People also are saying that if you have things like sharpness set at anything besides 0, it takes longer to process the image and hence maybe causing a blurriness on moving objects...Any truth to this?

 

Thanks.


Anything bigger than a handful, you're risking a sprained tongue - Gary, Weird Science
davemsc is offline  
post #12516 of 12711 Old 05-27-2014, 11:49 AM
Newbie
 
azcatsfan15's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi guys, 

 

               I saw that at my local Sears store they had a Panasonic Plasma TC-P60ST60 display model for $1,019 plus taxes... good deal or not so good?  I will go out there to check out how many hours it has been there and if there's any burn in image by setting it on white display...

 

               Thoughts? 

 

 

                Thank you

 

 
azcatsfan15 is offline  
post #12517 of 12711 Old 05-27-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 4,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 457
I have mine on always have never heard on sharpness affecting processing time.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is offline  
post #12518 of 12711 Old 05-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Newbie
 
azcatsfan15's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey guys there's a Panasonic Plasma display model TC-P60ST60 for sale at my local Sears store for $1,019 plus taxes.  Is that a good price??  I'm going to go today after work to check out how many hours it has as well as to see if it has any burn in images by putting it in a white display!   Thank you

azcatsfan15 is offline  
post #12519 of 12711 Old 05-28-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ousooner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Hey fellas,

I've had the 65st60 for about 6-8 months now and I was wondering if the CNET settings were still regarded as the best, non-professionally calibrated settings to use. Obviously there is no way I'm going to go through every page to see what settings are being used and what everyone is regarding as the best, so if anyone has any input on what's the best at the moment that'd be a HUGE help. My little 10 month old girl doesn't leave me too much time biggrin.gif. Wouldn't have it any other way though

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
ousooner2 is offline  
post #12520 of 12711 Old 05-28-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,708
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Hey fellas,

I've had the 65st60 for about 6-8 months now and I was wondering if the CNET settings were still regarded as the best, non-professionally calibrated settings to use. Obviously there is no way I'm going to go through every page to see what settings are being used and what everyone is regarding as the best, so if anyone has any input on what's the best at the moment that'd be a HUGE help. My little 10 month old girl doesn't leave me too much time biggrin.gif. Wouldn't have it any other way though
There is no way to establish a "best" for your display based on other calibrated sets. If you're not going to have it calibrated then try different settings and see which one you like best.
htwaits is offline  
post #12521 of 12711 Old 05-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Member
 
Mcguinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central America
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hello Everyone,

Been traveling for awhile and my beautiful TV has been mothballed. I recently returned with a bunch of new blu-rays purchased in the states and have had a chance to screen a few so far. After watching a few LCD TV's at friends and family's houses I have a renewed appreciation for the picture that the ST60 offers.

I bought some 3D combo pack blu-rays while in the states with a mind to upgrade to a 3D blu-ray player in the future but curiosity got the better of me and I ripped a couple of my 3D disks and played them back through the TV's media player. The media player read the file (MT2S 3D) OK but it locks in the the aspect ratio as Aspect 2 which fills the screen (even though the film is 2.39 aspect ratio) and I cannot change it. I ripped a standard blu-ray for comparison and played it back through the media player and it was fine. I could choose either Aspect 1 or Aspect 2.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to overcome this. I suppose I may have to break open the piggy bank and purchase a 3D blu-ray player sooner than later but since I have only 6 disks it is hard to justify right now.

Thanks to all!
Mcguinn is offline  
post #12522 of 12711 Old 05-28-2014, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
cadett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Hey fellas,

I've had the 65st60 for about 6-8 months now and I was wondering if the CNET settings were still regarded as the best, non-professionally calibrated settings to use. Obviously there is no way I'm going to go through every page to see what settings are being used and what everyone is regarding as the best, so if anyone has any input on what's the best at the moment that'd be a HUGE help. My little 10 month old girl doesn't leave me too much time biggrin.gif. Wouldn't have it any other way though

You're better off not even plugging in WB, CMS, or gamma settings. For everything else there are free disk available that will help you set brightness & adjust contrast if you want to set it with a disk. Usually a contrast setting of 78-81 for a 60" ST is pretty standard range. Here is a link to some free disks to help you out:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1453319/free-calibration-discs-that-can-be-burned-to-a-dvd-in-avchd-format#post_23117775
cadett is offline  
post #12523 of 12711 Old 05-29-2014, 12:26 AM
Member
 
Snafu68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemsc View Post

Quick question...

Does everyone keep the pixel orbiter on as default?  Or do they switch it on only if you have IR?

People also are saying that if you have things like sharpness set at anything besides 0, it takes longer to process the image and hence maybe causing a blurriness on moving objects...Any truth to this?

Thanks.

i have sharpness and orbiter setting as it is, but i have noticed that adding contrast above 55 increases blurring with some material.
and it isn't that blurring isn't wisible with lower contrast, it really increases.

picture processing power was main reason why i wanted GT60, but their prices were around +60% at the time compared to ST60 eek.gif
Snafu68 is offline  
post #12524 of 12711 Old 05-29-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 4,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu68 View Post

i have sharpness and orbiter setting as it is, but i have noticed that adding contrast above 55 increases blurring with some material.
and it isn't that blurring isn't wisible with lower contrast, it really increases.

picture processing power was main reason why i wanted GT60, but their prices were around +60% at the time compared to ST60 eek.gif

Thats probably more the sharpness setting you have if it is set at default, contrast has nothing to do with motion handling.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is offline  
post #12525 of 12711 Old 05-29-2014, 08:31 AM
Member
 
Snafu68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Thats probably more the sharpness setting you have if it is set at default, contrast has nothing to do with motion handling.

i didn't say it does, i ment that increasing contrast from 50 eats picture processing power that's away from motion handling if it is even possible. don't know

depending on picture quality of source:
contrast 35 to 75
brightness -20 - 0
color 45 - 65
tint 0
sharpness 50
vivid c off
ambient s off
noise r off
mpeg noise r off
ifc depends

other settings default


cheers
Snafu68 is offline  
post #12526 of 12711 Old 05-29-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 4,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu68 View Post

i didn't say it does, i ment that increasing contrast from 50 eats picture processing power that's away from motion handling if it is even possible. don't know

depending on picture quality of source:
contrast 35 to 75
brightness -20 - 0
color 45 - 65
tint 0
sharpness 50
vivid c off
ambient s off
noise r off
mpeg noise r off
ifc depends

other settings default


cheers

Increasing contrast does not degrade motion processing in anyway, not sure where you got that impression but simply not true. It might make some existing artifacts more apparent I suppose which maybe is what you are seeing at higher contrast levels.
Snafu68 likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is offline  
post #12527 of 12711 Old 05-29-2014, 07:33 PM
Newbie
 
HylianBowcaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I've recently started to game some more and I've noticed that I've got a little bit of image retention going on. It's mostly from the HUD from Xbox One's Forza 5. Now I've got the contrast at 79 and the panel brightness on low, and I'm wondering if you guys think I should lower the contrast more to prevent this, or is it just something that will likely fade over time. I don't know if it has anything to due with the hours on the TV, but right now I just past 700 hours of screen time.

If there are any other owners who use this display regularly for gaming, what settings do you use? and have you had any trouble with HUD IR?
HylianBowcaster is offline  
post #12528 of 12711 Old 05-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Newbie
 
Coryah323's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, first post here. I recently purchased a p60st60 and am loving it. Have a little IR but I've got the Disney WOW blu ray so it's no big deal. However, one thing that seems to be amiss are my picture settings. Every time I turn off the set, the picture settings go back to default (vivid) and I have to redo everything. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks guys!
Coryah323 is offline  
post #12529 of 12711 Old 05-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Member
 
garnettrules21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HylianBowcaster View Post

So I've recently started to game some more and I've noticed that I've got a little bit of image retention going on. It's mostly from the HUD from Xbox One's Forza 5. Now I've got the contrast at 79 and the panel brightness on low, and I'm wondering if you guys think I should lower the contrast more to prevent this, or is it just something that will likely fade over time. I don't know if it has anything to due with the hours on the TV, but right now I just past 700 hours of screen time.

If there are any other owners who use this display regularly for gaming, what settings do you use? and have you had any trouble with HUD IR?
I usually drop mine down to around 60 when I game with huds. If I know I've been gaming for a while or watching a bunch of channels with logos I usually set the screen wipe for 15-60 mins or so and head to bed. If it's slight it should clear up pretty quick unless you keep putting hours upon hours of forza 5. Maybe disable the hud on some of the races. I do this sometimes with GT6.
garnettrules21 is online now  
post #12530 of 12711 Old 05-30-2014, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryah323 View Post

Hi, first post here. I recently purchased a p60st60 and am loving it. Have a little IR but I've got the Disney WOW blu ray so it's no big deal. However, one thing that seems to be amiss are my picture settings. Every time I turn off the set, the picture settings go back to default (vivid) and I have to redo everything. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks guys!

Unplug it from the wall. Then plug it back in and turn it on. Take it out of display mode. I can't remember the exact wording but one of the options should say something lke home use etc.
AMartin56 is offline  
post #12531 of 12711 Old 05-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Newbie
 
Coryah323's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I restored it to factory defaults and it fixed the problem. I believe it was in demo mode seeing as I bought a display model from Sears. This is my first plasma, as well as first time buying a display model, and I am very happy with the picture quality this thing can put out. Haven't had it calibrated yet but going off D-nice/Cnet settings it already looks excellent. Would anyone recommend buying an extended warranty for it? If so, from where? It's a display so I'm a little worried about it.

Coryah323 is offline  
post #12532 of 12711 Old 05-30-2014, 03:19 PM
Member
 
zgpsh1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post


Agreed. Before you decide on what the picture looks like on your new ST60, try viewing a Blu-ray movie using either the default Cinema or Theater video modes...with contrast bumped down a bit since you are still in break-in period. I found on my 60ST60 that even without calibration, the Cinema and Theater modes looked really good with a good quality source like a Blu-ray disk.


Thank you.  I notice a marked improvement over my older plasma in Theater mode with a good Blu-Ray.  And this is pre-cal!

zgpsh1967 is offline  
post #12533 of 12711 Old 05-30-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryah323 View Post

I restored it to factory defaults and it fixed the problem. I believe it was in demo mode seeing as I bought a display model from Sears. This is my first plasma, as well as first time buying a display model, and I am very happy with the picture quality this thing can put out. Haven't had it calibrated yet but going off D-nice/Cnet settings it already looks excellent. Would anyone recommend buying an extended warranty for it? If so, from where? It's a display so I'm a little worried about it.

There's a lot of debate going on about EW's. Are they worth it, or not. Consumer Reports recommends an EW for flat panel displays, and I's always used them for my TV's provided the price is right. My hope is always that I will never need to use it. For my new 60ST60, I got a firesale on an EW on Amazon. This is actually with Square Trade. Never used them before, but the price was more than right at the time of purchase, and from what I've read Square Trade has a decent track record. Check it out.

Oh, one more thing, since your model was an open-box display/demo store display that was most likely played every day for 8-10 hours. Nothing wrong with that, but it may effect the purchase of an EW, as in reality it is a "used" TV. I'd call the company first before money is exchanged to make sure of the coverage.
cajieboy is online now  
post #12534 of 12711 Old 05-31-2014, 04:26 PM
Member
 
Julio Castrejon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Does anyone know if the a 55 inch TV stand for this TV will work on a 50 inch model? Are all the stands the same?

 

Also, what is the first thing that will failed on this TV overtime? I am thinking of buying replacement parts before they are gone like the power board and the main board. I heard those are the first things that go bad overtime. Should I snatch some spare parts?

Julio Castrejon is offline  
post #12535 of 12711 Old 06-01-2014, 01:33 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Castrejon View Post

Does anyone know if the a 55 inch TV stand for this TV will work on a 50 inch model? Are all the stands the same?

Also, what is the first thing that will failed on this TV overtime? I am thinking of buying replacement parts before they are gone like the power board and the main board. I heard those are the first things that go bad overtime. Should I snatch some spare parts?

A while back i compared 3 the part numbers that make up the ST60 stand and i remember that the part numbers for the 55" are the same as on the 60", but the part numbers for the smaller 50" size are different.

Here's a thread with some info on the larger stands, and links to the part numbers.

There are a few aftermarket table stands that are inexpensive and use the TV's rear wall-mounting holes:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DZVPFGU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=EN89PQX99D5P&coliid=I1I3OZEXEJ6FAQ

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009SD010O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=EN89PQX99D5P&coliid=I259SWMMQGLB6Y

As for the boards, from what i understand it's important that the replacement board have the exact same part number as the original (every digit) or be a direct superceded part number. There are also a few companies out there that can diagnose and repair a failed board.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #12536 of 12711 Old 06-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Member
 
AMDman18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased an open item 60ST60 from Best Buy back in February. It was on their Panasonic smart pen display so it has the Panasonic logo burned in the center of the screen. In four months of ownership the burn in hasn't really diminished. Oddly enough though, that doesn't really bother me. The way most movies and TV shows are framed, the center is usually occupied with action, so for 95% or so of viewing the burn in is totally invisible. What I DO have an issue with is screen uniformity. There's pink splotches pretty much all over the panel. And while not standing out horrifically, it's more noticeable a lot of the time than the burn in ever is. So do you guys think it's even worth my time trying to contact Panasonic about this? Or am I just stuck with it? I've heard of people getting screen replacements in the past due to uniformity issues. But I'm wondering if they'd even give me the time of day since it was A) a display model, and B) has burn in already. And all of that is assuming that they still have parts to begin with.
AMDman18 is offline  
post #12537 of 12711 Old 06-02-2014, 03:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
Marc_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indianapolis Metro Area
Posts: 917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
It's worth calling them (Panasonic) up.

More likely, perhaps you had a claim with the store where you bought it, but this far after purchase they probably don't have to do anything about it.

I'm sure Panasonic has parts... even screens... stashed away, but whether they will consider this warranty repair work is a bit of a long shot. If it came with the full warranty, and you had a reasonable expectation that the burn in / uniformity issue would dissipate over time with normal use, that could be the basis for a claim.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
Marc_G is online now  
post #12538 of 12711 Old 06-02-2014, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDman18 View Post

I purchased an open item 60ST60 from Best Buy back in February. It was on their Panasonic smart pen display so it has the Panasonic logo burned in the center of the screen. In four months of ownership the burn in hasn't really diminished. Oddly enough though, that doesn't really bother me. The way most movies and TV shows are framed, the center is usually occupied with action, so for 95% or so of viewing the burn in is totally invisible. What I DO have an issue with is screen uniformity. There's pink splotches pretty much all over the panel. And while not standing out horrifically, it's more noticeable a lot of the time than the burn in ever is. So do you guys think it's even worth my time trying to contact Panasonic about this? Or am I just stuck with it? I've heard of people getting screen replacements in the past due to uniformity issues. But I'm wondering if they'd even give me the time of day since it was A) a display model, and B) has burn in already. And all of that is assuming that they still have parts to begin with.

I've had two 50ST60s in my home and I've seen two more display models in my area before settling on the one I own now.

They ALL had the pink blobs you describe to some degree or another. One set had only 800 hours on it....other about 2400 and one 3000 plus. Two Best Buy display models and two at Sears. BB showed a loop...content at Sears was more random.

You could clearly see it when bringing up the eco menu (gray background) or when showing full white slides or white commercials etc,

I was able to test the sets in my home more and determined that the pink color ONLY occurred under situations where the ABL would kick in. If I pulled up a full screen black and white 'chessboard' pattern the whites were uniform white all over the screen. But adding more areas of white to the image would kick start the ABL and bring back the pink. Lowering contrast etc didn't help. Setting VSUS to High might have helped a little but it was so marginal that it might as well have been the same.

I was pretty horrified to see that all the talk of perfect uniformity on these sets is pretty much BS, but I got over it. The picture is pretty nice otherwise and the instances where the pink occurs is relatively rare.

I'm sure people will get upset about my last remark and claim their set is perfect etc, but I don't know how many more units I need to see with my own eyes to prove that his is a characteristic of this model. Maybe some people do have perfect sets but I imagine as many people just aren't overly sensitive to color uniformity.
AMartin56 is offline  
post #12539 of 12711 Old 06-02-2014, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
No one with any technical knowledge seems to want to go on the record about what causes this but my purely amateur theory is that not all pixels are created equally during the manufacturing process and some are more energy efficient than others. So they are fine when given a full charge on a low peak brightness image but when starved for power can't reach peak white. It sounds like they changed the nature of the 'plasma' used in the panels to allow for 3D when that became popular and I think this is associated with when this problem started to crop up more. But as I mentioned I don't know anything about anything.
AMartin56 is offline  
post #12540 of 12711 Old 06-02-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 4,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

I've had two 50ST60s in my home and I've seen two more display models in my area before settling on the one I own now.

They ALL had the pink blobs you describe to some degree or another. One set had only 800 hours on it....other about 2400 and one 3000 plus. Two Best Buy display models and two at Sears. BB showed a loop...content at Sears was more random.

You could clearly see it when bringing up the eco menu (gray background) or when showing full white slides or white commercials etc,

I was able to test the sets in my home more and determined that the pink color ONLY occurred under situations where the ABL would kick in. If I pulled up a full screen black and white 'chessboard' pattern the whites were uniform white all over the screen. But adding more areas of white to the image would kick start the ABL and bring back the pink. Lowering contrast etc didn't help. Setting VSUS to High might have helped a little but it was so marginal that it might as well have been the same.

I was pretty horrified to see that all the talk of perfect uniformity on these sets is pretty much BS, but I got over it. The picture is pretty nice otherwise and the instances where the pink occurs is relatively rare.

I'm sure people will get upset about my last remark and claim their set is perfect etc, but I don't know how many more units I need to see with my own eyes to prove that his is a characteristic of this model. Maybe some people do have perfect sets but I imagine as many people just aren't overly sensitive to color uniformity.

I don't doubt your experience but my 55'" does not have pink blobs or uniformity issues, approx 1200 hours of usage, professionally calibrated. I am very picky and would definitely notice something like that. Perhaps it is something specific to floor models, they are routinely abused much more so than a typical set in the home environment.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off