post #12631 of 12653 Old 07-05-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
Where I live there are plenty of ST60's left, and I'm still watching my movies on a 24" PC monitor.
I am not new to HTPC, I calibrate my monitor with i1 Display Pro (ArgyllCMS) and using MadVR & 3DLUT for best control.

Do you think it'll be wise to buy me a P50ST60 now?
I also been thinking about a BenQ W1080ST projector.

More over, a new TV is not a necessity for me now, I can easily wait 2 years till OLED hits the market.
Um, what?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12632 of 12653 Old 07-05-2014, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post
Um, what?!
Who says I'm in the US?
Where I am right now, plasma is a weak market and the main warehouse still got more than a few left.
Problem is, it's twice as expensive as an LCD.

I'm also thinking about a projector because its portable, and I live from rent to rent.
post #12633 of 12653 Old 07-05-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariokrt64 View Post
I just got a TC-P55ST60......read some comments about screen burn-in..........Is there a period of hrs after burn-in becomes less of an issue...I plan to take precautions with my set but wonder if after, lets say 100 hrs or so the issues with the logos and banners (ESPN, CNBC?) burn-in becomes less of a concern....
Congrats on your new Panasonic. Personally if it were me, I'd give the TV a few hundred hours of use first before normal usage as I consider this the critical period. Most consumer electronics that fail, do so in the early stages of operation. Your settings are important too. I used D-Nice's settings, and was very pleased with the results.

I now have over 1800 hours on my 60ST60, and there's not been a hint of any IR or anything else for that matter. I don't even give IR any thought, but I've always treated all my electronic gear well. Common sense is the best approach. Make sure your orbiter is on, don't max out your contrast & brightness levels and you should be perfectly fine.
parkman likes this.
post #12634 of 12653 Old 07-06-2014, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopower View Post
Wondering if anybody has the 3d professionaly calibrated on their set? I've only come across a few reviews, and trying to figure out if I want to get this done, in addition to getting my ST60 calibrated. I don't watch too many 3d movies, because my eyes get fatigued. I'm trying to figure out if calibrating the 3d could possibly help?
I had my 60ST60 calibrated by ChadB and as part of the normal process, he calibrated the 3D for me. I have to say that his calibration of not only the panel in general, but 3D as well has made a PROFOUND difference. I too had encountered eye strain (almost to the point where I couldn't hold my eyes open any longer) during 3D viewing, but that is no longer an issue for me after calibration.
cajieboy and kopower like this.
post #12635 of 12653 Old 07-06-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

I now have over 1800 hours on my 60ST60, and there's not been a hint of any IR or anything else for that matter. I don't even give IR any thought, but I've always treated all my electronic gear well. Common sense is the best approach. Make sure your orbiter is on, don't max out your contrast & brightness levels and you should be perfectly fine.
The 60ST60 is probably the 5th plasma in the last 10 years. None, including this one, has had image retention problems. Maybe I'm just lucky. The"60" has tuned in mega hours of CNN, sports, and moderate use of Netflix etc.
I had thought about having it calibrated (never did w. our others) - but couldn't bring myself to spend $$ on a panel that looks plain ugly just sitting on the wall. If it had looked (physically) as good as our other Pannys were - probably would have done it.
post #12636 of 12653 Old 07-06-2014, 04:21 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Who says I'm in the US?
Where I am right now, plasma is a weak market and the main warehouse still got more than a few left.
Problem is, it's twice as expensive as an LCD.
What country are you in where the TC-P50ST60 is still available? Canada perhaps? Or is a different version in Europe? They've been gone in the USA for many months.

Since this is a USA based forum, it's useful for members in other countries to indicate their country in their avatar to avoid confusion (and not get people's hopes up that they can find an ST60)
parkman likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #12637 of 12653 Old 07-06-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
The 60ST60 is probably the 5th plasma in the last 10 years. None, including this one, has had image retention problems. Maybe I'm just lucky. The"60" has tuned in mega hours of CNN, sports, and moderate use of Netflix etc.
I had thought about having it calibrated (never did w. our others) - but couldn't bring myself to spend $$ on a panel that looks plain ugly just sitting on the wall. If it had looked (physically) as good as our other Pannys were - probably would have done it.
Interesting. I've had a few plasma displays too, and none of those had any IR issues. Also, none of my friends and family members that own plasma displays have had IR problems. We ALL must be so damn lucky, you would think we should go to Vegas every month to replenish our bankrolls.

Not saying IR does not exist, and I'm sure those folks that did have IR problems were not happy owners. Which brings me to think why we see more of them on AVS. Happy contented owners don't normally post on forums. But unhappy owners with a problem will rush to these places for help, and state their complaints. Hence you get a false premise of these issues, and begin to think getting a "good" plasma panel is a flip of the coin when in fact IR is rare when compared to the number of displays sold.
post #12638 of 12653 Old 07-07-2014, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone
I bought my first smart TV; a TX-P50ST60E.
I hope this is the right section to post some question. If not i Apologize and i appreciate any suggestion on the right section. Here are few questions:
1 - I noticed that i have pixelation during fast moving scene while playing a movie (MKV or MP4. Playing the movie "streaming it" from the DLNA server (The Tv is connected to the PC through a router with an ethernet cable) or a Hard drive directly connected to the TV doesn't make a difference. Setting the noise reduction and Motion smoother to ON or OFF doesn't also make a difference. My questions is : is it a problem of the file or there is something i'm doing wrong? If it is the file what would be the best file format?
2 -What i would like to do is have my movies on the pc and acces the library from my couch with the tablet (from which i could see a trailer or synopsis or other infos). After browsing the library i want to launch the movie from the tablet without going through the menu screens of the TV. I set up a DLNA connection with an Home group but there is no interface with the Android tablet i have. My question is: what would be the best app/software to set up a PC-Tablet-ST60 network?

Last edited by Dungeonlord; 07-07-2014 at 01:46 AM.
post #12639 of 12653 Old 07-07-2014, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeonlord View Post
Hello everyone
I bought my first smart TV; a TX-P50ST60E.
I hope this is the right section to post some question. If not i Apologize and i appreciate any suggestion on the right section. Here are few questions:
1 - I noticed that i have pixelation during fast moving scene while playing a movie (MKV or MP4. Playing the movie "streaming it" from the DLNA server (The Tv is connected to the PC through a router with an ethernet cable) or a Hard drive directly connected to the TV doesn't make a difference. Setting the noise reduction and Motion smoother to ON or OFF doesn't also make a difference. My questions is : is it a problem of the file or there is something i'm doing wrong? If it is the file what would be the best file format?
2 -What i would like to do is have my movies on the pc and acces the library from my couch with the tablet (from which i could see a trailer or synopsis or other infos). After browsing the library i want to launch the movie from the tablet without going through the menu screens of the TV. I set up a DLNA connection with an Home group but there is no interface with the Android tablet i have. My question is: what would be the best app/software to set up a PC-Tablet-ST60 network?
The second issue I'm not sure about, but I'm sure the first issue is just problems with the source. Too much compression to handle fast movement correctly.

Is there a reason you can't connect the PC directly to the TV or use something like PS3 media server?
post #12640 of 12653 Old 07-07-2014, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheronB View Post
The second issue I'm not sure about, but I'm sure the first issue is just problems with the source. Too much compression to handle fast movement correctly.

Is there a reason you can't connect the PC directly to the TV or use something like PS3 media server?
Hi Theron
Thanks for the answer. Indeed i'm more worried about the pixelation. The file is a 7GB 1080p MKV so i would expect to be "not so compressed". Or am i just missing something?
post #12641 of 12653 Old 07-07-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
What country are you in where the TC-P50ST60 is still available? Canada perhaps? Or is a different version in Europe? They've been gone in the USA for many months.

Since this is a USA based forum, it's useful for members in other countries to indicate their country in their avatar to avoid confusion (and not get people's hopes up that they can find an ST60)
Lots left in Taiwan still. The top three models are sold here, ST is the low end and VT is the high end.
post #12642 of 12653 Old 07-07-2014, 01:41 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeonlord View Post
Hi Theron
Thanks for the answer. Indeed i'm more worried about the pixelation. The file is a 7GB 1080p MKV so i would expect to be "not so compressed". Or am i just missing something?
Hi, my old Samsung LCD hid a multitude of sins regarding downloaded meadia... A bit of bit blu Ray or close to will solve those problems, my copy of avatar for example is 38gb... Smaller files do tend to show some quality issues from time to time. 7gb for a blu Ray is still a lot of compression, quality of the rip is important too, not all rips are equal.

I have a Samsung galaxy 8 and the tv picks that up over dlna and file playback is fine with no third party software. I do tend to use the ps3 media server to access the nas though as the tv seems to be a lot more picky with that... It will play the same file off the tablet yet say file not supported when attempting to playback direct from the nas
post #12643 of 12653 Old 07-07-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
I've used a Chromecast (briefly) and had no problem. My HTPC also connects just fine. Sorry, only the one "android" device to report.
I've tried contacting Amazon regarding this issue with the Fire TV and the ST50. They weren't any help.

I can't be the only one having this problem!
post #12644 of 12653 Old 07-08-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Using 60ST60 and PS3. Need to now the proper combination of settings for watching bluray for the following...

ST60

HDMI CONTENT TYPE- (graphics, photo, auto, off)
HDMI/DVI RGB RANGE- (standard, nonstandard)
1080 PIXEL DIRECT- (on, off)

PS3

VIDEO OUTPUT FORMAT- (YPb/Cb Pr/Cr, RGB, Auto)
Y PB/CB/CR SUPER WHITE- (on, off)
DYNAMIC RANGE CONTROL- (on, off, auto)

Thanks!
post #12645 of 12653 Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM

I just bought a 50ST60.

Can't wait.
ChadThunder likes this.
post #12646 of 12653 Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just bought a 50ST60.

Can't wait.
Several times members have asked you to put your general location in your Avatar for obvious helpful reasons. Is this display a US/NA model or a something else??
post #12647 of 12653 Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM

Currently I'm in Israel, Shalom.

Its an Australian/European model TH-P50ST60, which is exactly the same as the TC-P models except 230v.
Still plenty left in the warehouses.
I always knew that plasma is a weak market here, and since it actually is the final months of plasma and it's as mature as it will ever be, I decided to go for it.
Its my first big screen TV, I hope I've made the right decision.

I also have an i1 Display Pro for calibration.

Any tips? (200 hours break-in etc...).
post #12648 of 12653 Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Currently I'm in Israel, Shalom.

Its an Australian/European model TH-P50ST60, which is exactly the same as the TC-P models except 230v.
Still plenty left in the warehouses.
I always knew that plasma is a weak market here, and since it actually is the final months of plasma and it's as mature as it will ever be, I decided to go for it.
Its my first big screen TV, I hope I've made the right decision.

I also have an i1 Display Pro for calibration.

Any tips? (200 hours break-in etc...).
Thanks James, and congrats on your new Panasonic 50ST60. Did you get a steal of a deal? When are you expecting delivery?

Personally, I followed D-Nice's routine and then after 200+hrs I used his settings. Thus far, I've been pleased with results. Basically, the settings just get you in the general ball park of what PQ these displays are capable. A professional calibration by a skilled & knowledgeable expert like D-Nice & a few others will bring out the absolute best picture. There's an art to their science that can not be dismissed.
post #12649 of 12653 Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post
Using 60ST60 and PS3. Need to now the proper combination of settings for watching bluray for the following...

ST60

PS3

Thanks!
you should PM lyris (David Mckenzie) and post the answer

or maybe he does not want to be bothered on here
post #12650 of 12653 Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy
Thanks James, and congrats on your new Panasonic 50ST60. Did you get a steal of a deal? When are you expecting delivery?
It'll be here next week, maybe Sunday (working day here) or Monday.
It was absolutely NOT a steal deal. Almost twice as expensive as an LCD screen (Samsung 46F6400 for example).

As I understand, PDPs don't have a backlight so Contrast slider controls the overall brightness & contrast of the display.

For breaking-in the first 100-200 hours, where should I set the "Panel Brightness" (Low, Mid, Hight), and Contrast slider?
I understand that the Brightness slider is insignificant for burn/break-in (it controlls the input black level).

Do I use the sider from here?: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...a-display.html

Last edited by James Freeman; Today at 07:13 AM.
post #12651 of 12653 Old Today, 10:19 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

ST60

PS3

Thanks!
HDMI CONTENT TYPE- (off) always leave this off for anything you hook up to the TV especially to a PC.
HDMI/DVI RGB RANGE- (standard) For the PS3 standard.
1080 PIXEL DIRECT- (on) when hooking up PC and other components like PS3 always turn it on.

VIDEO OUTPUT FORMAT- (YPb/Cb Pr/Cr)
Y PB/CB/CR SUPER WHITE- (off) This TV doesn't need it, leave it off.
DYNAMIC RANGE CONTROL- (off) Don't want to compromise anything.

I hope this helps. These are the settings I use and everything looks correct and gives me no problems.
post #12652 of 12653 Old Today, 01:18 PM

Liked: 10
Firmware Update ?

I had my ST60 professionally calibrated. Will the TV be reset to factory settings with a firmware update or will all the current settings, inputs, etc. stay the same?

NK

Maybe the Dingo Ate your Baby!
post #12653 of 12653 Old Today, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It should retain settings but I recommend writing down everything just in case.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page