Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 425 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12721 of 12729 Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM
Member
 
James Freeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Plasma meant to be watched in a dark room.
For all I care the bezel could be pink, but when watched in a dark room (as it should) it looks completely black.


I just bought a replacement US Main Board: Main Board, to replace my brand new 200 Hours European one.

EU ST60 Main board (A) lacks the option to select "Dark Level: Light/Dark", 48Hz/60Hz/96Hz at 24p (no options, natively 96Hz), and no 96Hz with 3D mode only 100Hz & 120Hz.
I just hate the phosphor trails at 96Hz (24p), I want the 48Hz and 60Hz modes.
As 50Hz flicker does't bother me so will 48Hz not, we are used to it from the old CRT days.

Also we have funky names to the settings like "Ambient Sensor" instead of C.A.T.S.
We have only 3 temperatures to select: Cool,Normal,Warm instead of the 5 US has.
The positive that it accepts 50Hz natively whether the US does not, or does it?

As the Main Board receives standard voltages (5v, 15v, 3.3v, Vsus, Vda) from the power board (110v or 230v), it does not matter what Power board the TV has.
All other boards like the SS, SS2, SC, SU, SD, C, are exactly the same (same part number) as they are just drivers for the plasma panel.

Stay tuned, I'll post how the operation went through.

Last edited by James Freeman; Today at 12:39 AM.
James Freeman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12722 of 12729 Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
When our old Panny in our "2nd" home died suddenly - I quickly came here and CNET and both raved about the ST series. I didn't realize it was "only" mid-level just by reading the reviews. I got the feeling it was the best thing out there - so didn't even look into anything else. And since our previous Panny panels were not ugly looking hanging on the wall, didn't think about that possibility. I learned long ago that you can't really look/judge a TV screen or panel itself at a Best Buy with bright lights and the panel set on vivid.
IF this had been in our 1st (more "upscale" home) would not have kept it. Sorry I did keep it. Like I said, had the feeling from reviews - THIS was the set to get.
Fortunately, there's an option for you to use. Don't know the website, but there's a company that makes beautiful portrait frames designed to fit your TV model covering the bezel area. If that doesn't dress-up that bezel edge for you, then nothing will suffice.
cajieboy is offline  
post #12723 of 12729 Old Today, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
snidely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oakland, Ca. & Aventura (Miami), Fl.
Posts: 1,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
IMHO, that's too much for a "used" TV. I've got this same model and paid $1500 brand new. I've owned it over 7 months and have logged in 2257 hrs. At 3000 hrs. it would probably take me a few more months. So you see, Floor Model or whatever, this is a "used" TV that's equal to about 9 months of normal usage. I'd offer the store somewhere between $900-$1000. That's it. Let us know how it works out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Fortunately, there's an option for you to use. Don't know the website, but there's a company that makes beautiful portrait frames designed to fit your TV model covering the bezel area. If that doesn't dress-up that bezel edge for you, then nothing will suffice.
Cajieboy - GREAT. Let me know if you remember the website. I'll try doing a search. Have to figure out terms to use.
EDIT: Just occurred to me (did find a couple sites that sells frames) - that if you cover up the ugly bezel - you can't use the remote!

Last edited by snidely; Today at 07:59 AM.
snidely is offline  
post #12724 of 12729 Old Today, 07:54 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
I, also, paid the "retail" price of $1500 for a new one a year ago. If I had to do it over again, would have paid the $$$ for the VT or more probably the Samsung 8500 - knowing what I do now. Before you get an ST60 series make sure the ugliness of the cheap looking shiny bezel and mirror like silver border won't bother you.
There were a lot of discussions and complaints here in various threads about the ST60's silver border, but after buying mine it really turned out to be a non-issue in my home and i only notice it if i look at the TV's edges instead of actually watching the content on the screen. It doesn't distract me at all. I had recommended applying black 1/4" wide automotive pinstriping tape to the shiny border and even tried it on my own ST60 briefly that worked pretty well.

As for the reflective black bezel surrounding the screen, it's very narrow and is much less distracting than the much thicker and wider shiny black reflective bezel on my GT50, and the shiny reflective bezels on molder G10 and PZ700U are even larger than on my ST60. My friends' Kuros have much much larger shiny reflective mirror-like bezels than all of my Panasonics and those are top-tier high-end TVs and i am distracted by them much more than on my Pannys.


----------------------------

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #12725 of 12729 Old Today, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
snidely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oakland, Ca. & Aventura (Miami), Fl.
Posts: 1,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Randy -
Guess I was spoiled. Early Panny Plasmas seemed to come in "professional" models and "regular" models. Those models required you to set up external speakers. This started in the days even before you could get a plasma at Circuit City. Even after retail outlets had them on the floor, you could get them with flat black bezels. We did wind up with one Panny with a very flat silverish frame. Not as good as flat black, but acceptable.
We have a lowish end (4 y.o.) Samsung in a 2nd bedroom (LCD) and it doesn't have the tacky mirrored bezel.
snidely is offline  
post #12726 of 12729 Old Today, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
samijubal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
EDIT: Just occurred to me (did find a couple sites that sells frames) - that if you cover up the ugly bezel - you can't use the remote!
Get an IR repeater. I use one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-4-6-8-Em...ht_2742wt_1024

Pick the 4 emitter, unless you need more, it's $17.59. There are lots of others on ebay but if you buy from someone else make sure you get a U.S. plug. You only need about 3/16 " of space for the emitter.
samijubal is online now  
post #12727 of 12729 Old Today, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 4,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
There were a lot of discussions and complaints here in various threads about the ST60's silver border, but after buying mine it really turned out to be a non-issue in my home and i only notice it if i look at the TV's edges instead of actually watching the content on the screen. It doesn't distract me at all. I had recommended applying black 1/4" wide automotive pinstriping tape to the shiny border and even tried it on my own ST60 briefly that worked pretty well.

As for the reflective black bezel surrounding the screen, it's very narrow and is much less distracting than the much thicker and wider shiny black reflective bezel on my GT50, and the shiny reflective bezels on molder G10 and PZ700U are even larger than on my ST60. My friends' Kuros have much much larger shiny reflective mirror-like bezels than all of my Panasonics and those are top-tier high-end TVs and i am distracted by them much more than on my Pannys.


----------------------------
I like the look of the ST60 reminds me of my VT50, the VT60 looks nice also imo

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is online now  
post #12728 of 12729 Old Today, 11:02 AM
Senior Member
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
I like the look of the ST60 reminds me of my VT50, the VT60 looks nice also imo
I do not notice the bezel since the focus of attention is on the screen. Besides as someone suggested pin striping, maybe just black electrical tape might help also. It has the same sheen as the rest of the bezel!
tanman is offline  
post #12729 of 12729 Old Today, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 4,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I do not notice the bezel since the focus of attention is on the screen. Besides as someone suggested pin striping, maybe just black electrical tape might help also. It has the same sheen as the rest of the bezel!
I would never go that route, but I agree it is not noticeable to me.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is online now  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off