post #12781 of 12808 Old 08-13-2014, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtom4prez View Post
FYI

Just in case anyone has a panel failure within 2 years from date of purchase...

My 65ST60 had panel failure one month after Panasonic warranty. Created a case with Panasonic. Called a local TV tech for estimate. Paid $95 for repair estimate and evaluation. Panasonic looked at my sales receipt and advise me to file claim with my credit card. The claims person said "You would do better with the credit card since you are out of warranty." He also offered a 10% online discount if I replace with a Panasonic TV. If you are out of warranty with Panasonic, they will offer "assistance" with repair cost but not a panel replacement.

Credit card processing of the claim was very fast if you have all the paperwork. (You need to file a claim with 30 days of the failure.) Credit card agrees to replace TV. I have 6 months from the time of failure to replace the TV.

"A copy of the itemized sales receipt for a replacement of the item you are claiming.
Although the replacement can be for any amount, reimbursement will be limited to the
lesser of the original or the replacement cost and subject to the limit of liability."

Not bad, I do get to keep the TV which is still very watchable with 4inches of the right side missing. I will be shopping for a new TV this fall.
Does this apply for any credit card used and are they allowing you the full original purchase price for the replacement? Any brand or model TV for the replacement? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12782 of 12808 Old 08-13-2014, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Does anyone see rainbow artifacts (phosphor trailing) in 96Hz mode with 24p?
I do. That's why I replaced my European board with a US one.

60Hz in 24p does not produce judder, apparently because of some very nice algorithm like MadVR's smooth motion.
But I don't use this because I can still mildly see the object in motion "blend" and slowly smear into the next position.
I see the same phenomenon with Madvr's smooth motion.
Although, I can only see this on this Plasma which is not sample-and-hold like an LCD, but a single short flash (2500 FFD) like a CRT which is perfect for motion.

I decided to settle on 48Hz because the minor flicker (to my eye) does not bother me and I get no rainbow artifacts nor smearing/blending.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60.
HTPC (MPC-HC, MadVR), PS3.
Studio Monitors + Polk Audio PSW110 Subwoofer.

Last edited by James Freeman; 08-13-2014 at 10:27 AM.
post #12783 of 12808 Old 08-13-2014, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post
Does this apply for any credit card used and are they allowing you the full original purchase price for the replacement? Any brand or model TV for the replacement? Thanks.
Most credit cards offer an extended warranty coverage. Call your credit card issuer to find out your benefits. It doubles a manufacturer's warranty which is 1 year or less. (Yes, don't ever buy 2 year extended warranties. You are wasting money.) They will repair or replace your TV up to the cost of your original purchase. If original cost paid was $2k, new TV is less = free. If new TV is $3k, you get back $2k and it only cost you $1k. They just need proof that the TV was bought with their credit card, warranty from the manufacturer and the repair bill.

The replacement can be any brand or model. Credit card companies only care about the cost.

Last edited by bigtom4prez; 08-13-2014 at 02:35 PM.
post #12784 of 12808 Old 08-13-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtom4prez View Post
Most credit cards offer an extended warranty coverage. Call your credit card issuer to find out your benefits. It doubles a manufacturer's warranty which is 1 year or less. (Yes, don't ever buy 2 year extended warranties. You are wasting money.) They will repair or replace your TV up to the cost of your original purchase. If original cost paid was $2k, new TV is less = free. If new TV is $3k, you get back $2k and it only cost you $1k. They just need proof that the TV was bought with their credit card, warranty from the manufacturer and the repair bill.

The replacement can be any brand or model. Credit card companies only care about the cost.

Sorry for the dumb questions but did your card just automatically offer this? I.e., did you need to request it for your tv purchase specifically and pay extra for it, it is just part of your card benefits?

Thanks.
post #12785 of 12808 Old 08-13-2014, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Sorry for the dumb questions but did your card just automatically offer this? I.e., did you need to request it for your tv purchase specifically and pay extra for it, it is just part of your card benefits?

Thanks.
I am pretty sure he was referring to a feature/service built in to his credit card benefits on all purchases and not just the TV. Not all credit card companies offer this, but many do. The only way to know for sure is to either call your credit card company and check or look at the original card agreement for what features yours offers.
post #12786 of 12808 Old 08-13-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by damag0r View Post
... but I fall asleep with it on a lot and I have it on for at least 8 hours every day. Sometimes many days in a row I'll have it on. I like to have background noise/stuff while I'm working on other things.
Just a suggestion. Check out radio for background noise.
post #12787 of 12808 Old 08-13-2014, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Might be worth a look, the 2013 models tend to drift towards red in the greyscale from what I have heard.
It just barely needed a touch up. There was a tiny bit of red push and blue had dipped a notable amount at higher levels. Some of the grey scale had drifted out to 2-3 dE or so, pushed all levels back under 1 dE again. (Got everything except the 90% under 0.5 dE).

I went ahead and fixed the gamma curve a bit too, and then got the primaries back under 1dE (they had drifted out a little, but still were all under 2 dE).

Got the saturation sweeps a bit better than I originally had, and same with color checker. Had 1.8 dE average back when I calibrated it in January, this time when I finished it was 1.69.

Wow, I'm seriously OCD. I don't think any normal person could tell the difference, but I swear I can tell that I cleaned up that slight red push.

Anyway, this set doesn't have much drift at all once you've put a lot of hours on it.

I would say that under normal usage (not my crazy leaving it on almost all the time), that it would probably only just barely need a touch up every 2-3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Just a suggestion. Check out radio for background noise.
Yeah, probably a good idea. But for now I'm going to enjoy my freshly touched up calibration.

Last edited by damag0r; 08-13-2014 at 10:31 PM.
post #12788 of 12808 Old 08-13-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Yeah, probably a good idea. But for now I'm going to enjoy my freshly touched up calibration.
Does the calibration you do improve the background noise?
post #12789 of 12808 Old 08-13-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Does the calibration you do improve the background noise?
It's not just noise, I also watch it (but kinda passively) while I work. I'll watch some Blu-rays in a bit.
post #12790 of 12808 Old 08-14-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
It just barely needed a touch up. There was a tiny bit of red push and blue had dipped a notable amount at higher levels. Some of the grey scale had drifted out to 2-3 dE or so, pushed all levels back under 1 dE again. (Got everything except the 90% under 0.5 dE).

I went ahead and fixed the gamma curve a bit too, and then got the primaries back under 1dE (they had drifted out a little, but still were all under 2 dE).

Got the saturation sweeps a bit better than I originally had, and same with color checker. Had 1.8 dE average back when I calibrated it in January, this time when I finished it was 1.69.

Wow, I'm seriously OCD. I don't think any normal person could tell the difference, but I swear I can tell that I cleaned up that slight red push.

Anyway, this set doesn't have much drift at all once you've put a lot of hours on it.

I would say that under normal usage (not my crazy leaving it on almost all the time), that it would probably only just barely need a touch up every 2-3 years.

Good data to have, I am going to be touching up my ST very soon. I will let you know what I see.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #12791 of 12808 Old 08-14-2014, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post
That's not "just the way plasma is". I started playing games on my TV at 75 hours. I can play all the games I want, leave the TV on pause for 10-15 minutes or more, watch channels with logos, have whatever static images go with using the TV, I've never had any IR problems whatsoever, in fact, I've never even seen any IR.

The problem TVs are the exception, not the rule.
Sorry but no. The threads on image retention and burn in are way too long, and the problem is most common with Panasonics. Love the picture quality but it comes at a price. These sets need to be pampered.
post #12792 of 12808 Old 08-14-2014, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panatachi View Post
Sorry but no. The threads on image retention and burn in are way too long, and the problem is most common with Panasonics. Love the picture quality but it comes at a price. These sets need to be pampered.
I've had 4 Panny plasmas and have never "pampered" any of them, nor have I had any problems with them.

How many individual users are in that IR thread out of millions of TVs sold? A tiny fraction of total TV sales, that's how many.
cajieboy likes this.

Last edited by samijubal; 08-14-2014 at 09:44 PM.
post #12793 of 12808 Old 08-14-2014, 05:31 PM

Tried to find it in this thread, but could not come up with it. Is there a way to find out how many hours are on my tc-p65st60? Somewhere in the menus? Thanks!
post #12794 of 12808 Old 08-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Tried to find it in this thread, but could not come up with it. Is there a way to find out how many hours are on my tc-p65st60? Somewhere in the menus? Thanks!
Menu>help>version>status4
Bruuce and fester99 like this.
post #12795 of 12808 Old 08-15-2014, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Menu>help>version>status4
And all this time I've been going into the service menu and doing the SRV-TOOL thing. This saves me a lot of trouble, thanks.

Quote:

When I had a UT50 I managed to get some pretty awful IR, but it was still only temporary. On the ST60 I have not yet, but I make sure that if I pause something I switch the scrolling bar utility on and when I'm not actively watching TV but just having it on for background I use the zoom setting to zoom in past any logos.

Last edited by damag0r; 08-15-2014 at 02:20 AM.
post #12796 of 12808 Old 08-15-2014, 06:42 AM
SPJ

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks.
I think you have to register the product with your CC company, which includes providing a receipt, mfg. #, etc... It generally only applies to new items and not open box, or refurbished.
post #12797 of 12808 Old 08-15-2014, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
I think you have to register the product with your CC company, which includes providing a receipt, mfg. #, etc... It generally only applies to new items and not open box, or refurbished.
Visa likes you to register purchases but it's not mandatory. They say it makes the process faster if you need to file a claim is all.
post #12798 of 12808 Old 08-17-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My Panasonic TC-P55ST60 has died an early death thanks to careless humans while on vacation. They offered to buy me a new one! And I nearly died when I learned they don't make em anymore.

So I'm deciding between Panasonic TC-55AS680U (not sure I care or not about losing 3D) and Samsung UN55H7150. I've found tons of info on the Sammy but barely any on the Panny. I guess bc it's just too new. If anyone has seen both and has any info, it would be greatly appreciated! I'm gonna head to BestBuy and try to see both before making a final decision.

If there are any plasmas that I should be considering, I'm def open to opinions. Thanks!
post #12799 of 12808 Old 08-17-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRgymnast View Post
My Panasonic TC-P55ST60 has died an early death thanks to careless humans while on vacation. They offered to buy me a new one! And I nearly died when I learned they don't make em anymore.

So I'm deciding between Panasonic TC-55AS680U (not sure I care or not about losing 3D) and Samsung UN55H7150. I've found tons of info on the Sammy but barely any on the Panny. I guess bc it's just too new. If anyone has seen both and has any info, it would be greatly appreciated! I'm gonna head to BestBuy and try to see both before making a final decision.

If there are any plasmas that I should be considering, I'm def open to opinions. Thanks!
I had the TC-P50ST60, I loved it but had to return it because it was a floor model with uneven screen wear. I wasn't able to get a refund so I reselected a TC-55AS530U and I can tell you the picture quality, while not bad, is no where near the plasma's. On the plus side it has a nice thin bezel, looks good even in a bright room and doesn't run nearly as hot as the plasma. But if you are used to plasma neither of the sets you have it narrowed down to will compare to your old one.
post #12800 of 12808 Old 08-17-2014, 05:55 PM

And if it was me I couldn't care less about losing 3D.
post #12801 of 12808 Old 08-17-2014, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

I'd buy an LG or Samsung plasma before I'd even consider an LCD.
post #12802 of 12808 Old 08-17-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I'd buy an LG or Samsung plasma before I'd even consider an LCD.
You don't have much time left to do either LG or Samsung.
post #12803 of 12808 Old 08-18-2014, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
You don't have much time left to do either LG or Samsung.
I don't think we should worry that much about the future of good picture & high contrast displays, on the contrary, OLED is just around the corner.
In maybe a year or two we all will be able to buy an OLED TV for a reasonable price, just like we bought our plasmas two years ago.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60.
HTPC (MPC-HC, MadVR), PS3.
Studio Monitors + Polk Audio PSW110 Subwoofer.
post #12804 of 12808 Old 08-18-2014, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
I don't think we should worry that much about the future of good picture & high contrast displays, on the contrary, OLED is just around the corner.
In maybe a year or two we all will be able to buy an OLED TV for a reasonable price, just like we bought our plasmas two years ago.
OLED won't be reasonably priced for years. It took plasma over a decade and a half from first release to get to what we paid for these TVs.
post #12805 of 12808 Old 08-18-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I disagree, I have never pampered my set, started playing games and watching TV with static logos from the get go. Did not do anything other than mount it, turn it on, and started enjoying it. There have been a couple times that I have noticed small amounts of IR, always when the set has just been turned on, and is disappears very quickly. It seems it is on a panel to panel basis. Some of us get lucky, others don't.
cajieboy and Latinoheat like this.

post #12806 of 12808 Old 08-18-2014, 08:43 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRgymnast View Post
If you want similar picture quality to your ST60, the only suitable replacements for your dead TV is either the Samsung F8500 series Plasma, or one of the LG OLED TVs.

Aside from those, your only choice now is an LCD TV. I've been looking around in case my own ST60 dies and would probably have to settle for a Sony (W850B, W950B, or 4K X850B).

There really isn't anything else on the market that i'd be able to tolerate. The OLEDs are out because they're curved and that's completely unacceptable to me).

What happened to your ST60 if i may ask?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #12807 of 12808 Old 08-18-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
Don't put any money on your "wish" for the immediate future of OLED. There are a lot of hurdles between now and a high volume competitive market that are needed to make your "wish" come true.
post #12808 of 12808 Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Refurbished P60ST60 burn in

Hey guys,

Brand new owner of a recently purchased 60 inch ST60 here. I bought this unit at graysonline for $1249 (refurbished). I knew going in this might be a bit risky, but with all the stores seemingly sold out of ST60's, I decided to take a punt.

So unit arrives yesterday, and I find some image retention/burn in on the top right hand corner -- looks like a Smooth FM logo and maybe a Channel V logo too. This only appears during very light or white scenes. I have since put the scrolling bar on for 15-20 minutes at a time and watched maybe 4 hours worth of full screen content. I then blasted the screen with a full white image overnight.

Image still remains. Is this burn in or strong image retention? I'm cool to keep wearing it down if it goes away eventually.

If it is burn in, can Panasonic fix it? I have a 3 month warranty on the unit. The main reason I purchased this unit was I was getting tired of the grayish black levels on my V10 (the dreaded rising black level model), and I wanted to get in on these last batches of Panasonic plasmas. Picture quality is otherwise gorgeous but I'm not sure I can/should live with that burn in!

Any help would be awesome!
post #12809 of 12808 Old Today, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchowmowan View Post
Hey guys,

Brand new owner of a recently purchased 60 inch ST60 here. I bought this unit at graysonline for $1249 (refurbished). I knew going in this might be a bit risky, but with all the stores seemingly sold out of ST60's, I decided to take a punt.

So unit arrives yesterday, and I find some image retention/burn in on the top right hand corner -- looks like a Smooth FM logo and maybe a Channel V logo too. This only appears during very light or white scenes. I have since put the scrolling bar on for 15-20 minutes at a time and watched maybe 4 hours worth of full screen content. I then blasted the screen with a full white image overnight.

Image still remains. Is this burn in or strong image retention? I'm cool to keep wearing it down if it goes away eventually.

If it is burn in, can Panasonic fix it? I have a 3 month warranty on the unit. The main reason I purchased this unit was I was getting tired of the grayish black levels on my V10 (the dreaded rising black level model), and I wanted to get in on these last batches of Panasonic plasmas. Picture quality is otherwise gorgeous but I'm not sure I can/should live with that burn in!

Any help would be awesome!
Probably strong IR. I haven't gotten anything but very extremely minor brief IR on my ST60, but when I had a UT50 I managed to get a logo stuck fairly early on and it took quite a bit of time to get it to go away so it was absolutely not ever noticeable at all.

It should eventually age out, even if it takes months. Although I can't guarantee that.

Leave the TV on content w/o any logos and run the scrolling bar utility when you aren't watching it. It should be more effective than a white screen. I'm not sure if the ABL kicking in while using a fully white screen will make it less effective, but it might.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page