post #12811 of 12815 Old 08-20-2014, 12:17 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRgymnast View Post
I had a friend cat-sit for me while I was away on vacation. They said in a fit of stupid TV rage, a remote was thrown towards the direction of the TV, not intending to hit it but it did. This cracked the screen and caused the TV to make strange noises. The person offered to pay for full cost of the TV, which was $1250 but I cannot find a plasma in that price range that I like soooo, hence my dilemma. I looked at the Panny 55-680 ($1100) and Sammy 55-7150 ($1300). And I like the Sammy LED more than the Panny LED. So I haven't ordered it yet but I think that's what I'll end up with.
There is no excuse for your friend to be throwing your remote control (that he doesn't own), much less destroying your TV that is pretty much irreplaceable because he can't control himself. I would not settle for what you paid for it as that won't be enough to buy an equitable replacement now that the ST60 has been discontinued and is no longer available. I'd make him pony up and pay for the F8500 or LG OLED, unless you want to settle for a Sony or Samsung LCD TV that won't look nearly as good as the TV he recklessly destroyed. His irresponsibility has put you in a difficult position.
grizimes likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12812 of 12815 Old Yesterday, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey there,

I have a 55st60 and have been having a possible issue with it for some time now. On somewhat still pictures, it is incredible. However, as soon as an object starts to move and the camera doesn't follow that object (i.e. a fixed camera shot and a car drives by and the camera doesn't move), that object isn't clear at all - it's a total blur. And the object doesn't have to go fast either. But as soon as it stops moving the image is CRYSTAL CLEAR again.

This is my first plasma and I don't think this should be like that. I don't see this happen on others plasma (Buddy has a F5500 from Samsung).

All settings like motion smooth and sharpness are off.

Is there a test I can do on this tv to tell if something is wrong? I am also noticing FAINT lines on the right side of the panel that I can only see on really light backgrounds. I have read about these from other members - some say they are just normal for Pannys - others say they are not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Anything bigger than a handful, you're risking a sprained tongue - Gary, Weird Science
post #12813 of 12815 Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemsc View Post
Hey there,

I have a 55st60 and have been having a possible issue with it for some time now. On somewhat still pictures, it is incredible. However, as soon as an object starts to move and the camera doesn't follow that object (i.e. a fixed camera shot and a car drives by and the camera doesn't move), that object isn't clear at all - it's a total blur. And the object doesn't have to go fast either. But as soon as it stops moving the image is CRYSTAL CLEAR again.

This is my first plasma and I don't think this should be like that. I don't see this happen on others plasma (Buddy has a F5500 from Samsung).

All settings like motion smooth and sharpness are off.

Is there a test I can do on this tv to tell if something is wrong? I am also noticing FAINT lines on the right side of the panel that I can only see on really light backgrounds. I have read about these from other members - some say they are just normal for Pannys - others say they are not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
That's usually cable compression if that's what you're watching. Satellites do it also though not as bad.

Try a Blu-ray if you have one.
post #12814 of 12815 Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
Does anyone see rainbow artifacts (phosphor trailing) in 96Hz mode with 24p?
I do. That's why I replaced my European board with a US one.

60Hz in 24p does not produce judder, apparently because of some very nice algorithm like MadVR's smooth motion.
But I don't use this because I can still mildly see the object in motion "blend" and slowly smear into the next position.
I see the same phenomenon with Madvr's smooth motion.
Although, I can only see this on this Plasma which is not sample-and-hold like an LCD, but a single short flash (2500 FFD) like a CRT which is perfect for motion.

I decided to settle on 48Hz because the minor flicker (to my eye) does not bother me and I get no rainbow artifacts nor smearing/blending.
I've never tried 96hz mode, However, I do notice the rainbow artifacts sometimes at 60hz and the "blend/smear" that you speak of. It seems to depend a lot on the source content though.

I can live with it though considering the alternative is LCD with much worse motion problems.

My main peeve with plasmas (at least Panasonic plasmas, never owned another brand), is that I get this strange band of horizontal discoloration sometimes depending on the other content at the same vertical position. For example if I'm viewing the on screen menu, I can see a dark horizontal bar to the left right that coincides with the vertical position I have selected in the menu. I see a similar effect that can cause a horizontal band of discoloration while watching certain content, especially animated stuff. Is this an issue with the dithering algorithm or something?

Last edited by damag0r; Yesterday at 01:00 PM.
post #12815 of 12815 Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I believe you are describing line bleed. It is inherent with plasma technology. I notice it less now, but it is always there.
post #12816 of 12815 Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
I believe you are describing line bleed. It is inherent with plasma technology. I notice it less now, but it is always there.
Ah, "line bleed" sounds like a great term for what I'm seeing.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page