post #12931 of 12934 Old 09-22-2014, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Once the warranty runs out, luck is the only resource you can count on to find spare parts. They will either be available or not. There is no practical recourse in court or anywhere else. You maintained that, by law there had to be a seven year supply. It's just not there.

I'm in the same boat with a Pioneer Kuro. I was lucky and got a main board replaced just before our six year extended warranty ran out. If another board goes out, there is a good chance the set will be dead for good.
Entire boards rarely need to be replaced, it's just far more lucrative for repair shops to replace boards than parts. A lot of the time it's as simple and cheap as bad capacitors or transistors that cost a few dollars and are very easy to find. Panasonic doesn't necessarily need to stock boards for repairs to be made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12932 of 12934 Old 09-22-2014, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcguinn View Post
I spoke with the service technician today and they said it is the main board. They do not distribute the ST60 in Central America so he is trying to get price/availability in the U.S. He may know something by next Tuesday. If not, he will get the part number and then I can try to find the part and have it shipped down. Does anyone have a guess on how many $$$$$ I am looking at?

I know Panasonic has to stock parts but where to find them? Oh well so much for it being a salt problem.....
I found a couple used main boards on ebay one for $95 another for $177. The more expensive one comes with a 90 day warranty. I will find out today if the repair shop here managed to locate one in the states and what the cost would be. Once that is determined, and the repair shop provides the specific part number, I will then make my decision as to what to do. The timing may be good as my niece is coming down for a visit soon so she may be able to bring it with her.

I contacted Panasonic regarding the main board and the answer I received from their "subcontractor" Encompass Supply Chain Solutions was that they would not sell me the part because I was not an authorized warranty repair company registered on their website. Too bad so sad son.

I am now realizing that I overreached with this TV and that you canĀ“t have everything in life. We just had a top-of-line Panasonic microwave die on us as well. I am now looking around the casa to make sure we have no more Panny products that will be expiring shortly. Lesson learned, buy local and be happy with what is available.
post #12933 of 12934 Old 09-22-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post
Entire boards rarely need to be replaced, it's just far more lucrative for repair shops to replace boards than parts. A lot of the time it's as simple and cheap as bad capacitors or transistors that cost a few dollars and are very easy to find. Panasonic doesn't necessarily need to stock boards for repairs to be made.
Of course, but where do you go to find repair services that have that capacity? I live in the center of the computer industry and it's all board swapping here. There are Kuro owners with the skill to repair their own boards. I'm not one of them.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12934 of 12934 Old 09-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Of course, but where do you go to find repair services that have that capacity? I live in the center of the computer industry and it's all board swapping here. There are Kuro owners with the skill to repair their own boards. I'm not one of them.
That capacity is a service manual, a technician and some test equipment anyone working for a living in the industry should have. It's not so much capacity as finding someone willing to take the time to locate the specific problem when it's a lot faster and more lucrative for them to replace boards. If someone really wants something repaired bad enough and doesn't live in the middle of nowhere, they should be able to get repairs done.

Circuit boards are mostly made of readily available parts with maybe a few model specific ICs and maybe not. It's cheaper for companies to use readily available parts than to design and manufacter their own. Bad capacitors can sometimes be seen just by looking at them, the tops or bottoms bulge or you can see where they've leaked electrolyte. Fried transistors or ICs can sometimes be seen also. If that's the case all it takes is new caps or transistors and basic solder/desolder ability, if you can see the part number of the defective part.
post #12935 of 12934 Old 09-25-2014, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheronB View Post
Try the CNET settings.
Much, much better IMO.
I have had the D-Nice settings in place for as long as I've owned my 65st60 and have liked it. But, I am always interested in other views on this... Why do you prefer the CNET calibration?

Thanks.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread - P55st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page