Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 441 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #13201 of 13224 Old 01-22-2015, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hi guys,

im thinking about buying this tv after returning a 51" samsung f5300, couldn't stand the buzzing sound it made. is the 55" st60 known to buzz, anybody have problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13202 of 13224 Old 01-22-2015, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbast View Post
hi guys,

im thinking about buying this tv after returning a 51" samsung f5300, couldn't stand the buzzing sound it made. is the 55" st60 known to buzz, anybody have problems?
A few people have reported buzzing with st60 models, but I have a 60" st60 that I have had for over a year and it buzzes very little...such that it cannot really be heard unless you put your head near the back of the panel.
post #13203 of 13224 Old 01-22-2015, 05:13 PM

Just picked up the 55" brand new for $1600 with 4 year warranty. Are there any universal settings that I can use for this set and can I start watching programs right away or do I need to run slides?
post #13204 of 13224 Old 01-22-2015, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
hi guys,

I have two 50", they both buzz. On a white screen with the audio off I can clearly hear it at 12'. I use surround sound and never hear it when watching so it doesn't bother me. It maybe should be noted I'm at about 4,200' elevation with the TV in an open closet that probably amplifies the buzz.
post #13205 of 13224 Old 01-23-2015, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Just picked up the 55" brand new for $1600 with 4 year warranty. Are there any universal settings that I can use for this set and can I start watching programs right away or do I need to run slides?
Hello. You do not need to run slides, but what I do recommend you do for the first 200hrs is watch content in full screen as much as possible, stretch wide screen content to full screen, lower your contrast to mid 60's, switch to Cinema Mode and disable all the enhancements. Standard Mode which the TV comes set to from the factory is way to dim.
post #13206 of 13224 Old 01-24-2015, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Congratulations. Where did you find a new one so late in the game?
post #13207 of 13224 Old 01-24-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
Congratulations. Where did you find a new one so late in the game?
thebrick furniture store in richmond bc canada. was lucky to get a brand new one. some of these stores still have display models for sale though and u might be able to get a brand new one but have to contact each store. the one thing that is bothering me is the buzz, it's kind of annoying hearing it from my couch. it's worse when the scene is bright. not sure what i'm going to do.

Last edited by ianbast; 01-24-2015 at 09:56 AM.
post #13208 of 13224 Old 01-24-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
thebrick furniture store in richmond bc canada. was lucky to get a brand new one. some of these stores still have display models for sale though and u might be able to get a brand new one but have to contact each store. the one thing that is bothering me is the buzz, it's kind of annoying hearing it from my couch. it's worse when the scene is bright. not sure what i'm going to do.
I'd put in the slide-show (w/USB Thumbdrive) on continuous for about 200-300 hours non-stop. After that, see if the buzzing has subsided. If not, you have a problem with this TV. Loud buzzing is not a normal function for this TV. Either have it repaired under the Mfg'er Warranty, or return it. I have a 60ST60, and have never heard the buzzing.
post #13209 of 13224 Old 01-24-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I'll just reiterate my findings with the plasmas I've owned for those that have never owned one (60ST60 and Pioneer 6010). They both buzz and if I survey 10 friends then some say it's terrible and others say they can't even hear it! The point being that people who say plasmas don't buzz at all simply can't hear it and if you find it objectionable then there's a good chance that your hearing is susceptible to the buzz frequency and a slight slim chance the set is faulty (ie unless everyone can hear the buzz regardless of content during normal viewing!). Typically, I find the buzz most annoying while fast forwarding thru commercials on my DVR. The rapidly changing screen brightness changes the intensity of the buzz frequently which makes it more noticeable (plus the volume is muted). During normal watching, I can still hear a buzz from about 7ft or so but it doesn't affect my enjoyment. As always, YMMV.
post #13210 of 13224 Old 01-24-2015, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Plasmas buzz, it's just life with a plasma. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the TV. I've had my ST60 since May 2013 and it still works fine with it's buzz. I've got another Panny plasma from 2008 that still works fine with it's buzz.
post #13211 of 13224 Old 01-24-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

All plasmas buzz somewhat and the ST60 series definitely buzzes. There may be some variation of how loud the buzzing is from set to set. I had the ST50 from the previous year and now have the S60, and the ST50 buzzed a little louder.

What picture mode are you using? Try panel brightness mid (or even low) in 'Custom' mode with contrast not more than about 80-85. It's also possible the buzzing may subside a little with use. I would stick it out for another week or two at least before doing anything.
post #13212 of 13224 Old 01-24-2015, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
I'd put in the slide-show (w/USB Thumbdrive) on continuous for about 200-300 hours non-stop. After that, see if the buzzing has subsided. If not, you have a problem with this TV. Loud buzzing is not a normal function for this TV. Either have it repaired under the Mfg'er Warranty, or return it. I have a 60ST60, and have never heard the buzzing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
I'll just reiterate my findings with the plasmas I've owned for those that have never owned one (60ST60 and Pioneer 6010). They both buzz and if I survey 10 friends then some say it's terrible and others say they can't even hear it! The point being that people who say plasmas don't buzz at all simply can't hear it and if you find it objectionable then there's a good chance that your hearing is susceptible to the buzz frequency and a slight slim chance the set is faulty (ie unless everyone can hear the buzz regardless of content during normal viewing!). Typically, I find the buzz most annoying while fast forwarding thru commercials on my DVR. The rapidly changing screen brightness changes the intensity of the buzz frequently which makes it more noticeable (plus the volume is muted). During normal watching, I can still hear a buzz from about 7ft or so but it doesn't affect my enjoyment. As always, YMMV.
I'd add that following this issue since April 2013 when I bought my ST60, I'm unaware that anyone here who complained about buzzing and arranged for a replacement or a service call found satisfaction, while there have always been some who said their sets don't buzz at all, and even some that said a buzzing plasma is not normal. This is consistent with jkasanic's observation about varying perceptions. I went through two 50ST60s and one 50S60 in between, each manufactured in different months, and they all buzzed about the same. They all exhibited buzzing that increased with APL, and as I've said before and jkasanic just described, it tracks the APL very rapidly, so that if I watch with the set muted in a quiet room, I can hear the buzzing come and go just as fast as the picture changes brightness. I have my set as the secondary display on my PC with black wallpaper so nothing is displayed on it by default, and when it's quiet enough, I can even hear a slight elevation of the very faint baseline noise level when I move the mouse over to the TV; that's how sensitive it is to APL.The good news is, while actually watching TV from my normal 7 feet or so, there is usually enough sound output at my normal listening level of -30 to -20 dB to drown out whatever buzzing there is, and it's rare that I hear it. One exception is the hospital scene near the end of Life of Pi.

So, while I was freaked out by the buzzing when I got the ST60, which was my first plasma, it turned out to be a minor problem. Far more significant for me was the rainbow effect, and that was why I tried an S60 and then another ST60, keeping the second ST60. As with buzzing, they all had the RE about the same. That's another thing you either perceive or you don't. Over time, I've learned to live with the rainbows, by reducing and slowing my eye motion and to blink when I do move my focus in images that are susceptible to RE. (This is not phosphor trails, as RE is just as apparent on a paused image as a moving one. RE is more of a quick flash of yellow or green or red as you move your focus from a relatively bright object containing red such as skin tones or white subtitle text to a dark area of the screen, and there has to be a major contrast difference for it to be visible. I never see it during football, for example, or animation like Family Guy.)
jkasanic likes this.
post #13213 of 13224 Old 01-24-2015, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

I have two ST60s and tried an S60 also, all of them buzz. My 2008 TV buzz isn't as bad as the ST60s but it doesn't have near the contrast of the ST60 either so it's not surprising it doesn't buzz as bad.
post #13214 of 13224 Old 01-24-2015, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 62
As Bill Clinton once said..."I feel your pain". I guess I should consider myself one of the lucky ones. I don't hear buzzing on my ST60ST. My wife doesn't hear it either, even after I asked her to go put her head 2-inches from the screen. Perhaps not as keen as my dog, but I consider both of our hearing as in the "normal" range. Furthermore, we both don't see rainbows, northern lights, or any other abnormal celestial bodies floating around the ST60. After over 12-months of ownership and 4200 hours, just pristine plasma PQ. Again, just lucky I suppose, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
post #13215 of 13224 Old 01-25-2015, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sitting eight feet away, I don't hear any buzz from my ST60. Then again I grew up with CRTs that buzzed and had 15kHz whistle so I can generally ignore those sorts of things.

Panasonic ST-60 / Denon AVR-S700W
post #13216 of 13224 Old 01-25-2015, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
That is consistent with my experience with the ST60.
Your settings are awesome .... never has my st60 popped like it did tonite with the Pro Bowl and kids watching Royal Rumble on Apple TV - thanx.
post #13217 of 13224 Old 01-26-2015, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Before you give up on the TV you could try a sound bar. My TV buzzes but I never hear it when watcing with surround sound, only when the audio is off do I hear the buzz.

You won't find a better TV. I wouldn't give up on it without exploring other options to get past the buzz first.
post #13218 of 13224 Old 01-26-2015, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
hi guys,

I have never experienced any kind of buzz from my panel, even sticking my head right up against it. Had multiple people test this as well (friends, family), and nothing.

post #13219 of 13224 Old 01-26-2015, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Agreeing with grizimes. With or without a sound bar, I have never had any buzzing, even up close.
grizimes likes this.
post #13220 of 13224 Old 01-26-2015, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Zero buzz....

I so regret not getting another St60 ...where can I grab one in the US ?
grizimes likes this.
post #13221 of 13224 Unread Today, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm getting some serious image retention that won't go away, and there is a chance it may have a burn in. Is there a way to tell if it's a burn in or not? Does lowering the contrast help prevent further damage if you keep watching the same channel with the logo stuck there? I need a solution for this.
post #13222 of 13224 Unread Today, 02:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Castrejon View Post
I'm getting some serious image retention that won't go away, and there is a chance it may have a burn in. Is there a way to tell if it's a burn in or not? Does lowering the contrast help prevent further damage if you keep watching the same channel with the logo stuck there? I need a solution for this.
If it never goes away it's burn-in. Lowering contrast will help. Watching whatever gave you the IR is going to make it worse unless you watch enough other content with it. You can use zoom, zero overscan, etc. to shift whatever gave the IR around the screen a little.
post #13223 of 13224 Unread Today, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Castrejon View Post
read a few pages back: it may take months or several hundred hours of varied contet for it to go away

and don't keep watching tha same stuff that gave you the retention in the first place -- or watch it zoomed in
post #13224 of 13224 Unread Today, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post
Your settings are awesome .... never has my st60 popped like it did tonite with the Pro Bowl and kids watching Royal Rumble on Apple TV - thanx.
Glad they worked out for you

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Harmony 650
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page