Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 444 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #13291 of 13314 Old 04-06-2015, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Robin

Thanks for your reply all is now well and the panic is over.

By the way I lived in West Burke Vt. for a few years when I was younger I left when I was 14 years old. My younger sister still lives there.

Thanks again

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13292 of 13314 Old 04-06-2015, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowler View Post
Robin

Thanks for your reply all is now well and the panic is over.

By the way I lived in West Burke Vt. for a few years when I was younger I left when I was 14 years old. My younger sister still lives there.

Thanks again
Paul

Cool beans Paul!
post #13293 of 13314 Old 04-06-2015, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a TC-P55ST60 which I bought 18 months ago, it's developed a 3-4 inch wide vertical black bar, I am not pleased. I did not buy an extended warranty. After doing some research it seems the problem is likely the "c boards" that are attached to the ribbon cables on the bottom of the display. $22 on eBay got me new ones. I should only have to replace the one that lines up with my vertical bar. Fingers crossed. If it doesn't work I've got a $1300 paperweight. [emoji53]

BTW it's a PITA to get the back off of these TVs, and be careful, the metal edges are as sharp as razors.

yada yada yada Tapatalk
post #13294 of 13314 Old 04-07-2015, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Good luck @jgerry ! Let us know how it goes!

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #13295 of 13314 Old 04-09-2015, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Bombard View Post
In your Menu, go to Setup, Display Customization, Input Labels, and simply change all the unused inputs to "Not Used". If you're only using HDMI 3, that should be the only input you'll see from now on. You can also customize that HDMI 3 input title to whatever source you're using (cable ,Directv, Dish, etc).
Thanks!! Learn something new all the time!
post #13296 of 13314 Old 04-12-2015, 01:26 AM

Liked: 0
Hi all,
I plan to swap the mainboard on my Panasonic plasma tx-p50ST60,I'd like to change it for mainboard from german model tx-p50STW60 (it is the same model as ST60 with added dvb-s tuner), but I only found mainboard from 42" model. What do you think it happens after swapping mainboard from smaller to bigger tv?
post #13297 of 13314 Old 04-14-2015, 07:33 AM

Sadly, changing the c-board didn't help with my issue. So it's a defective panel. I'm pretty bummed about it. Replaced with a Samsung UN55H7150 which seems pretty good so far.

Managed top get a buyer on Craigslist for $140, I assume he's parting it out. At least I get a little money for it.
post #13298 of 13314 Old 04-19-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Joining the club boys and gals, better late than never, decided to pick up a 55" ST60 for the bedroom, what an awesome tv it is. I can see the improvement over my GT50. Slighter better blacks, crisper, and motion as well. Shame it was the last year plasma models were produced from Panasonic. Thought about getting a 4K but they all have crappy blacks, uniformity, clouding and so on.

I will upgrade by end of this year or early next year with OLED 4K most likely. Aesthetically I prefer the look of the GT50 though and wish it had a THX mode also, regardless, what a gorgeous picture it has, truly fantastic.

TV's - Panasonic 55ST60 , Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #13299 of 13314 Old 04-20-2015, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys I need to replace the front black bezel on my st60 as my gran wiped it down with an alcohol based cleaner!!!! How she missed the screen baffles me but want to know if chrome surround ones off with bezel? I'll be doing myself but want to chase down part or parts. Thanks
post #13300 of 13314 Old 04-20-2015, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Joining the club boys and gals, better late than never, decided to pick up a 55" ST60 for the bedroom, what an awesome tv it is. I can see the improvement over my GT50. Slighter better blacks, crisper, and motion as well. Shame it was the last year plasma models were produced from Panasonic. Thought about getting a 4K but they all have crappy blacks, uniformity, clouding and so on.

I will upgrade by end of this year or early next year with OLED 4K most likely. Aesthetically I prefer the look of the GT50 though and wish it had a THX mode also, regardless, what a gorgeous picture it has, truly fantastic.
Congrats! Did not know there were any more 55" ST60 units in the wild to pick up.
post #13301 of 13314 Old 04-20-2015, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
Congrats! Did not know there were any more 55" ST60 units in the wild to pick up.
Thank you, it wasn't brand new but it only had 650 hrs on it and got it for a steal of a price, couldn't pass it up. Very happy.

TV's - Panasonic 55ST60 , Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

post #13302 of 13314 Old 04-21-2015, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Kind of curious what you paid? I am looking at a used 60ST60, the guy is asking $1100, seems kind of high, my thought was around the 600-800 range, but then again, maybe I am out of touch with used plasma TV prices.
post #13303 of 13314 Old 04-21-2015, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist3 View Post
Kind of curious what you paid? I am looking at a used 60ST60, the guy is asking $1100, seems kind of high, my thought was around the 600-800 range, but then again, maybe I am out of touch with used plasma TV prices.
Check Your PM.

post #13304 of 13314 Old 04-27-2015, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've tried almost every calibration setting from others I have found (Dnice, etc) and they all crush blacks it seems. I watch TV in a very dark room. If I still had my meter I would calibrate it myself like I've done for past TVs. Can anyone tell me what the proper gamma and panel brightness. I do have the DVE essentials disc but settings vary widely depending on panel brightness and gamma. I generally have seen mid for panel brightness and 2.6 for gamma. Just FYI if I use those with DVE I end up with brightness at -2 which seems low. Can anyone help?
post #13305 of 13314 Old 04-27-2015, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob23 View Post
I've tried almost every calibration setting from others I have found (Dnice, etc) and they all crush blacks it seems. I watch TV in a very dark room. If I still had my meter I would calibrate it myself like I've done for past TVs. Can anyone tell me what the proper gamma and panel brightness. I do have the DVE essentials disc but settings vary widely depending on panel brightness and gamma. I generally have seen mid for panel brightness and 2.6 for gamma. Just FYI if I use those with DVE I end up with brightness at -2 which seems low. Can anyone help?
Try AVS HD 709. For my 50St60, Gamma = 2.6, Black Level = Light, Panel Brightness = Mid, Brightness = 4 gives the desired result for Black Clipping, and my gamma target is BT.1886 with MLL .0025 fL. My Contrast is at 67, which gives me 38 fL for a 2% reference white window. All the "enhancements" and special features are disabled. I watch exclusively in dungeon conditions. YMMV.

Many people have reported reddish blacks with the Dnice settings, and that's the result of adjusting the lower end of the 2 point white balance, which should not be done for that reason. In general, applying other people's settings for the fine-level controls like 2 point and 10 point is so hit and miss that it's mostly miss and shouldn't be done.
post #13306 of 13314 Old 04-27-2015, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
For sake of a comparison with my ISF-calibrated 50ST60, I have a contrast of 50, brightness at +6 with a Panel Brightness set at Low and a Gamma of 2.4. I have no other light output readings available but I have no doubt it would most likely be too low for your liking. But they work for me just fine and I'm simply providing them for comparison purposes. Good luck with your crap shoot.
post #13307 of 13314 Old Today, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

1. Before touching the brightness and gamma settings you have to check the R Cut values.

There are 2 ways to start from scratch:

Take a black picture, or a movie with black bars. You don't need fancy test pictures. If you see pixels firing up in black the R Cut values are too high.

Increase the RGB Cut Values (White Balance) to that point where the blacks are not crushed.

Normaly (I did this with a lot of Panasonic Plasmas). The R cut Values of one or two colours is 80, and one or two colours have to be adjusted down. But hey, every panel is different.

The finest way to do this, is in the service menu, if you do it there you calibrate the dark cut values of the colours for the whole Cinema and custom picture mode for all channels.

Then you choos Gamma 2.0.

Yeah I know, it is too bright, and pump up the black level extender to 5 or 7.

Panel brightness low.

Try this setting.
post #13308 of 13314 Old Today, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Just one example:

First picture: Standard Cinema Mode (I have adjusted The RGB Cut and Drive Values in the Service Menu, so the Colours are the same). Gamma 2.2. Panel brightness low. Brightness: 0, Contrast 50, Colour 60.

Second Picture: True Cinema Mode: Gamma 2.0 (!) Black Level Extension 5. Although the gamma is brighter because of the adjusted black level extension the picture is just right and only the dark parts are adjusted.

Its the easiest way: Adjust the RGB Cut values, choose a gamma and adjust the black level extension.

Leave the gamma 10 point alone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6361.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	497.2 KB
ID:	693170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6362.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	498.0 KB
ID:	693178  
post #13309 of 13314 Old Today, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post
Try AVS HD 709. For my 50St60, Gamma = 2.6, Black Level = Light, Panel Brightness = Mid, Brightness = 4 gives the desired result for Black Clipping, and my gamma target is BT.1886 with MLL .0025 fL. My Contrast is at 67, which gives me 38 fL for a 2% reference white window. All the "enhancements" and special features are disabled. I watch exclusively in dungeon conditions. YMMV.

Many people have reported reddish blacks with the Dnice settings, and that's the result of adjusting the lower end of the 2 point white balance, which should not be done for that reason. In general, applying other people's settings for the fine-level controls like 2 point and 10 point is so hit and miss that it's mostly miss and shouldn't be done.
When I put in those settings using Mid and 2.6...I get +6 for brightness which is right about in line with yours and the following guy's settings. I find shadow detail to be nice but blacks are considerably lighter. There is then a definitive glow to black bars. When I use D Nice settings I love the inky blacks but there is a black crush. I think that's most likely because the white balance needs to be calibrated to get rid of it. I guess that's why people pay for calibrations. Without that..I guess I will just live with a little lighter blacks if it means more details in shadows. Thanks for the advice
post #13310 of 13314 Old Today, 01:32 PM

Liked: 14
I think internal components on all electronics vary a little bit. Getting it calibrated is the right choice. But for some people a $1200-$1500 TV price tag may not constitute a $300-$400 calibration. With that said, not only due to internal component variations but also due to surrounding decor and lighting some may prefer D-Nice, some find S&V numbers and there are some who have tweaked them further to their preference. So I say go with your own preference!
post #13311 of 13314 Old Today, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I need to re-calibrate the black levels. The blacks are starting to get crushed and it's starting to get darker. I noticed this while watching the last Harry Potter movie on BD, some scenes looked too dark now compare to how it look last year. What tools should I use and which settings should I re-adjust? Adjusting the brightness setting on the main menu does more harm than good so I want to leave that untouched, what other settings affect the black levels?
post #13312 of 13314 Old Today, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
When I put in those settings using Mid and 2.6...I get +6 for brightness which is right about in line with yours and the following guy's settings. I find shadow detail to be nice but blacks are considerably lighter. There is then a definitive glow to black bars.
+/- 2 for Brightness could be within normal component tolerance. It may also vary with the exact model. I have the 50ST60; which one do you have?

Here's what I see in a pitch black room. Bar 17 is just barely visible, and there is no dithering at all in 16 and the background. Bars gradually increase in intensity, and I would not say they "glow". They're not bright at all. I do have a 21 point grayscale run I made with Calman. The Y values for levels 0, 5, and 10 came out as .0025, .0586, and .2192, respectively, and these are right in line for BT.1886.

Quote:
When I use D Nice settings I love the inky blacks but there is a black crush. I think that's most likely because the white balance needs to be calibrated to get rid of it. I guess that's why people pay for calibrations. Without that..I guess I will just live with a little lighter blacks if it means more details in shadows. Thanks for the advice
It's mainly because he targets straight gamma 2.4. BT.1886 lowers the gamma at the lower end of the curve so you don't get black crush on sets that don't have true black. My settings give me inky blacks in all but the very dimmest of scenes, and there's nothing that can be done about that, because these plasmas always emit some light for black. It's still preferable to LCD with local dimming and its blooming artifacts and brightness shifts. OLED is the only thing on the horizon that can improve on it.
post #13313 of 13314 Old Today, 07:22 PM

Well, I just found my eye1 meter and downloaded the HCFR software and of course have my DVE essentials blu ray. Now I have to teach myself how to do this again as it's been several years. I do remember making my LG pk550 look stunning. I never did figure out how to do colors and just tinkered until it passed the eye test. So I may be asking questions along the way! I'm going to be using Mid and 2.6 as that is what I have seen the majority of people using. I will keep you posted. Wish me luck!
post #13314 of 13314 Old Today, 09:25 PM

nevermind. I can't get HCFR to recognize my eyeonelt. I think it might be because of Windows 8. Using Mid and 2.6 my brightness is at +1 so same as DNice which I thought it would be. I will try to tinker with the rest of his settings to see if changing his low end adjustments fixes it. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led
Gear in this thread