Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 451 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 123Likes

post #13501 of 13641 Old 12-18-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Running the tv doesn't hurt the pixels...
nickfro likes this.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13502 of 13641 Old 12-18-2015, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post
Chunon! Thanks for the validation!
Hey cadett, your signature link hasn't worked for a while, can you post your current settings again? I had mine calibrated by Best Buy for free when I first got it, but I'd like to compare it to others' settings now that it's been 4 years or however long it's been.

Office - Onkyo 506, AV123 X-LS Encore Monitors
Living Room - Panasonic 60ST60, Onkyo 707, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR
Car - Focal Flax 3-ways; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; Digital Designs 3515
post #13503 of 13641 Old 12-21-2015, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What sound will I get from optical out. to digital legacy receiver without hdmi hookups. For internet apps netflix, vudu,amazon. thx parkman.

Last edited by parkman; 12-21-2015 at 04:33 PM.
post #13504 of 13641 Old 12-21-2015, 04:33 PM
Grammaton Cleric

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkman View Post
What sound will I get from optical out. to digital legacy receiver without hdmi hookups. thx parkman

Optical out (and ARC) supports Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS.
post #13505 of 13641 Old 12-21-2015, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfro View Post
Optical out (and ARC) supports Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS.
thank you Nickfro
post #13506 of 13641 Old 12-22-2015, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34HFX83 View Post
I just noticed that the ST60 has no time limit when running the screen wipe. I wonder if running the screen wipe for 24 hours increases the chance of a sub-pixel getting blown out...
I would less concerned about that and more concerned that such aggressive use of the TV prematurely ages the panel. I don't think I'll ever be running the screen wipe on my VT. It's not worth the risk.
whipit likes this.
post #13507 of 13641 Old 12-22-2015, 01:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxo View Post
I would less concerned about that and more concerned that such aggressive use of the TV prematurely ages the panel. I don't think I'll ever be running the screen wipe on my VT. It's not worth the risk.
Exactly. It won't do anything you can't do just by watching the TV. It's not worth the strain on a TV that can't be replaced.

If it's IR it will eventually go away with normal viewing without whatever caused it. If it's burn-in there's nothing you can do about it.
fluxo likes this.

Last edited by samijubal; 12-22-2015 at 05:07 AM.
post #13508 of 13641 Old 01-08-2016, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I know people say that ST60's black levels can be lowered down to 0.0015 with calibration... but can that 0.0015 mll be maintained for a long time?

See my signature for reference. I own model year 2009 and 2010 Panasonic plasmas where blacks gets brighter over time. I also own a Pioneer Elite 111FD... problem with this set is that absolute black develops red tint @ +/- 10000 hours.

50 inch Panasonic Viera ST60 (only used for movies)
50 inch Panasonic Viera G20 (only used for sports & gaming)
46 inch Panasonic Viera G10 (retired)
50 inch Pioneer Elite 111FD (ISF-Calibrated by Chad B) http://hdtvbychadb.com/isf-calibration
post #13509 of 13641 Old 01-09-2016, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
I know people say that ST60's black levels can be lowered down to 0.0015 with calibration... but can that 0.0015 mll be maintained for a long time?

Yes, I believe so. I have heard no reports of rising blacks on the ST60 (or any of the 2013 Panasonic Plasmas).
post #13510 of 13641 Old 01-17-2016, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I wonder if anyone here is using 0 sharpness setting when watching 1080p content like blu ray... The stock setting sharpness 50 is almost unwatchable to me because it's too sharp and really brings up all the artifacts and flaws of the source. For (highly compressed) live tv broadcast I use 35 sharpness because 1080i content is inherently blurry resolution (1440x1080i)

50 inch Panasonic Viera ST60 (only used for movies)
50 inch Panasonic Viera G20 (only used for sports & gaming)
46 inch Panasonic Viera G10 (retired)
50 inch Pioneer Elite 111FD (ISF-Calibrated by Chad B) http://hdtvbychadb.com/isf-calibration

Last edited by 34HFX83; 01-17-2016 at 01:14 AM.
post #13511 of 13641 Old 01-17-2016, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi all,

Didn't know if I should start a new thread for this so I'm putting it here. Let me know if I should make a separate thread.

I have a 55" ST60 that I purchased about two and a half years ago. Since purchase it has been sitting on my entertainment unit, not wall-wounted, never moved; it has been babied, essentially. I'm getting ready to move cities at the end of the month so was examining the set closely today to prepare for disassembly and packing. I noticed that on each of the corners the bezel is pulling away form the frame, as if the glue holding it on has wasted away. It seems to have dried out and is flaking off in spots.

Has anyone encountered this before? I don't have an extended warranty from Best Buy, and from what I can tell from reading the manual, Panasonic's limited warranty is for 1 year only? Do I have a prayer at all that they will do anything about this?

If not, what's the best way to re-secure the bezel to the frame?

Here's a photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jghnyyenijaf05w/ST60.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for any advice.
post #13512 of 13641 Old 01-17-2016, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
I wonder if anyone here is using 0 sharpness setting when watching 1080p content like blu ray... The stock setting sharpness 50 is almost unwatchable to me because it's too sharp and really brings up all the artifacts and flaws of the source. For (highly compressed) live tv broadcast I use 35 sharpness because 1080i content is inherently blurry resolution (1440x1080i)
My ST60 was calibrated at 0 sharpness all though the 3D calibration has a 50 sharpness.
post #13513 of 13641 Old 01-17-2016, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsvik View Post
Hi all,

Didn't know if I should start a new thread for this so I'm putting it here. Let me know if I should make a separate thread.

If not, what's the best way to re-secure the bezel to the frame?

Here's a photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jghnyyenijaf05w/ST60.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for any advice.
this is the right place to post anything concerning the ST60 line.
Boy, your picture sure makes this product look very cheaply built. I would think Panasonic would be embarrassed. I guess you have nothing to lose by contacting them. Could this be fixed by simply gluing it all back together with some contact cement? You want to be careful not to put too much pressure in an area where the screen could be cracked.
This plasma was the cheapest available plasma at the time. I have no complaints about the picture, but the mirrorlike finish on the bezel along with the thin mirror like silver border really makes it look tacky. I should've spent the money for something else. I was in too much of a hurry when our previous 7 y.o. Panny died.

I have read virtually all of the thousands of posts - and this is the first time I've seen this problem mentioned.
post #13514 of 13641 Old 01-17-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
Boy, your picture sure makes this product look very cheaply built. I would think Panasonic would be embarrassed. I guess you have nothing to lose by contacting them. Could this be fixed by simply gluing it all back together with some contact cement? You want to be careful not to put too much pressure in an area where the screen could be cracked.
This plasma was the cheapest available plasma at the time. I have no complaints about the picture, but the mirrorlike finish on the bezel along with the thin mirror like silver border really makes it look tacky. I should've spent the money for something else. I was in too much of a hurry when our previous 7 y.o. Panny died.

I have read virtually all of the thousands of posts - and this is the first time I've seen this problem mentioned.
Yeah, I've not been super happy with the ST60 - I've had some pretty bad image retention/burn-in even after being careful with it for the first while. And now this. But, for the price ($1500), it has been okay, I guess.

You're right that I have nothing to lose in terms of contacting them. If I wasn't moving it would be less of an issue, but I'm worried about the whole front bezel piece falling off completely or getting worse during the transport. I may try the contact cement method but I'll have to be really delicate. I'll wait to see if anyone else chimes in with further advice.

Thanks!
post #13515 of 13641 Old 01-18-2016, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

The ST60 Series was NOT the lowest Panny plasma at the time. There was a flagship model ZT/VT Series (both the same street price), second came the ST60 which was the middle ground in product placement. Then came lower tiered "S" models. Who or what knows why the bezel's glue dried out. No big deal, and much ado about nothing in my books. Easy fix.

BTW, I've owned my 60ST60 since Dec. 2013 w/8,273 hours clocked-in. No problemo amigo. Reliability has been way above average, which is the norm for Panasonic displays. Of course, you will find folks with various problems for anything that assembled, and this Forum attracts those seeking solutions for those with problems. You think something looks cheap? Take a gander at some of the other Mfg'ers. My etch-a-sketch was made better than most of those other displays brands. Top-tier Sony TV's look the best to me now.
post #13516 of 13641 Old 01-18-2016, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, I've not been super happy with the ST60 - I've had some pretty bad image retention/burn-in even after being careful with it for the first while. And now this. But, for the price ($1500), it has been okay, I guess.

You're right that I have nothing to lose in terms of contacting them. If I wasn't moving it would be less of an issue, but I'm worried about the whole front bezel piece falling off completely or getting worse during the transport. I may try the contact cement method but I'll have to be really delicate. I'll wait to see if anyone else chimes in with further advice.

Thanks!
If I want something to hold for good I use JB Weld. I haven't been able to find anything else that adheres to almost anything and holds together for the life of whatever it's used on. Just clean both pieces of foreign material as good as possible before applying,
post #13517 of 13641 Old 01-19-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post
If I want something to hold for good I use JB Weld. I haven't been able to find anything else that adheres to almost anything and holds together for the life of whatever it's used on. Just clean both pieces of foreign material as good as possible before applying,
Cool, thanks - I'll check that out. Cleaning the surfaces might be a bit of an issue seeing as how it's just the corners peeling off and I don't want to peel it any further to get at the inside to clean it, but I'll see what I can manage.
post #13518 of 13641 Old 01-19-2016, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Cool, thanks - I'll check that out. Cleaning the surfaces might be a bit of an issue seeing as how it's just the corners peeling off and I don't want to peel it any further to get at the inside to clean it, but I'll see what I can manage.
Use a cotton swab dipped in alcohol to clean the parts. The paper shaft swabs work a lot better than the plastic shaft ones.

Last edited by samijubal; 01-19-2016 at 08:31 AM.
post #13519 of 13641 Old 01-23-2016, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
The ST60 Series was NOT the lowest Panny plasma at the time. There was a flagship model ZT/VT Series (both the same street price), second came the ST60 which was the middle ground in product placement. Then came lower tiered "S" models. Who or what knows why the bezel's glue dried out. No big deal, and much ado about nothing in my books. Easy fix.

BTW, I've owned my 60ST60 since Dec. 2013 w/8,273 hours clocked-in. No problemo amigo. Reliability has been way above average, which is the norm for Panasonic displays. Of course, you will find folks with various problems for anything that assembled, and this Forum attracts those seeking solutions for those with problems. You think something looks cheap? Take a gander at some of the other Mfg'ers. My etch-a-sketch was made better than most of those other displays brands. Top-tier Sony TV's look the best to me now.

Mine is also doing this on the lower left corner. I love this set, but this is a bit of an annoyance. I tried a bit of superglue but it is really difficult to slide enough in there to make a difference and not get it all over the place in the process. For now, I have slid a few pieces of two sided tape in there just to maybe prevent it from spreading. Not sure how long that will hold though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #13520 of 13641 Old 01-23-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

Mine is also doing this on the lower left corner. I love this set, but this is a bit of an annoyance. I tried a bit of superglue but it is really difficult to slide enough in there to make a difference and not get it all over the place in the process. For now, I have slid a few pieces of two sided tape in there just to maybe prevent it from spreading. Not sure how long that will hold though...

post #13521 of 13641 Old 01-23-2016, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post

SuperGlue may not be the best adhesive to properly do the job. I'd investigate various products currently out right now that specialize in plastics. When I was kid, I used to assemble model airplanes & car kits. Takes time, patience and a bit if dexterity. I'd advise using this in mind when making the repair.
post #13522 of 13641 Old 01-23-2016, 08:26 AM

Makes sense. It is just very difficult to get any kind of glue under it without causing it to peel away more. Think I'll leave it alone for now and try to forget about it. ..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #13523 of 13641 Old 01-23-2016, 11:30 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

good quality double sided tape works best did mine a few months ago still holding strong
Tgterm likes this.
post #13524 of 13641 Old 01-24-2016, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace54 View Post
good quality double sided tape works best did mine a few months ago still holding strong
Add me to the list. i did originally contact Panny and the process to get it fixed wasn't worth the effort. Take pic of the problem, send it along with a pic of the serial #, copy of warranty and they would review. if covered (My guess is it would have been) then i would need to TAKE THE SET to an authorized repair service. there is one in the area. i talked to him about fixing a Pioneer Elite DVD player and asked him about the bezel. he said it is not an easy fix ( don't get anything on the screen) and usually only works on the electronics side. That didn't give me any confidence.

mine has pulled away from about 1/3 of the frame. if you look close you will see a yellow-orange ish colored dried glue - very thin film. i used some blue tac (?) stuff we use to hold pictures in place on a wall, and other light duty stuff. took a very small amount and pulled the corner back as little as possible to jam it in. seems to work ok. I want to try a more permanent fix and haven't got around to looking at the right glue. big worry though is getting a drop on the screen and or the bezzel. plus i fear that if you pull a bit to hard the whole thing could peal away. I would pull out the TV lay it flat and glue the whole thing. i just can't figure out how to do it in a vertical position. while i am not in love with the general bezzel design, it is ok with me.

But make no mistake, the picture is fantastic. i love it. yes i get some minor and temporary retention, usually only the Dish logo when using the guide for channel searching. but it never lasts. hope this helps let me know if anyone comes up with a great glue for the job.
Chris
post #13525 of 13641 Old 01-25-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie View Post
Add me to the list. i did originally contact Panny and the process to get it fixed wasn't worth the effort. Take pic of the problem, send it along with a pic of the serial #, copy of warranty and they would review. if covered (My guess is it would have been) then i would need to TAKE THE SET to an authorized repair service. there is one in the area. i talked to him about fixing a Pioneer Elite DVD player and asked him about the bezel. he said it is not an easy fix ( don't get anything on the screen) and usually only works on the electronics side. That didn't give me any confidence.

mine has pulled away from about 1/3 of the frame. if you look close you will see a yellow-orange ish colored dried glue - very thin film. i used some blue tac (?) stuff we use to hold pictures in place on a wall, and other light duty stuff. took a very small amount and pulled the corner back as little as possible to jam it in. seems to work ok. I want to try a more permanent fix and haven't got around to looking at the right glue. big worry though is getting a drop on the screen and or the bezzel. plus i fear that if you pull a bit to hard the whole thing could peal away. I would pull out the TV lay it flat and glue the whole thing. i just can't figure out how to do it in a vertical position. while i am not in love with the general bezzel design, it is ok with me.

But make no mistake, the picture is fantastic. i love it. yes i get some minor and temporary retention, usually only the Dish logo when using the guide for channel searching. but it never lasts. hope this helps let me know if anyone comes up with a great glue for the job.
Chris
Thanks for the info. I wonder if Panasonic would say it's under warranty? The warranty information that came with my TV says 1-year limited warranty, which has far expired by now. Was yours older than 1-year when you contacted them for the repair? Or do the U.S. TVs come with longer manufacturer's warranties?

I've tried the double-side tape solution now, and it held for a bit, but it's coming apart again now. It's just so hard to slide anything in there without pulling the bezel even farther off and making it worse! I think I'll try a bit of the sticky tac and see how that works.
post #13526 of 13641 Old 01-25-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I wonder if Panasonic would say it's under warranty? The warranty information that came with my TV says 1-year limited warranty, which has far expired by now. Was yours older than 1-year when you contacted them for the repair? Or do the U.S. TVs come with longer manufacturer's warranties?

I've tried the double-side tape solution now, and it held for a bit, but it's coming apart again now. It's just so hard to slide anything in there without pulling the bezel even farther off and making it worse! I think I'll try a bit of the sticky tac and see how that works.
I used a stronger two sided tape on it last night. Much better hold...only downside is that it is a little thicker so you can see it a little if you look from the side. Not noticeable at all from straight on viewing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #13527 of 13641 Old 01-25-2016, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
I used a stronger two sided tape on it last night. Much better hold...only downside is that it is a little thicker so you can see it a little if you look from the side. Not noticeable at all from straight on viewing.
I have not had this issue (yet), but I would think the two sided tape used to hold trim pieces on cars would work well as that has to hold in more severe conditions outside than in the room where a TV would be.
post #13528 of 13641 Old 01-25-2016, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
regarding the warranty question I don't remember the tv warranty length, but I believe it was in warranty, even if the TV was out of warranty at the least I was able to extend it through the CC company. (one extra year) either way I was and remain hesitant to take it to a repair shop for fear of damage to the screen or scratch's to the bezel. Strong double sided tape (first choice) or a good glue that is putty like in substance (Like the Weld product mentioned earlier) would be my choice.
post #13529 of 13641 Old 01-27-2016, 12:03 PM

annoying red power light

The bright red power light can get annoying The ZT60 power light dims after about a minute when turned on the ST60s stays bright this can easily be fixed with scotch tape and black permanent marker

check picture not nearly as bright but can still be seen like the ZT light

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4149.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1214458
post #13530 of 13641 Old 01-27-2016, 01:33 PM

3M exterior mounting tape

'this is the tape I used to hold the bezel in place

Holds up to 5 lbs (2.3 kg)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/3m...l#.Vqk3E_krK00

"Industrial quality exterior mounting tape
Weather resistant for outdoor or indoor use
Can be used on textured surfaces such as painted cement or brick
Holds up to 5 lbs (2.3 kg)"

Last edited by ace54; 01-27-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page